Blame it on the ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, alcohol

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I did more than that on Halloween. I wanted to put someone in the ER.

Well we all know you're not normal. :wink:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It was a bad night. lol.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    gkirk2000 wrote: »
    Harunan wrote: »
    Look up metabolites of aspartame and tell me it isn't poison.

Read some peer-reviewed studies and tell me it is.

You asked:

http://www.mpwhi.com/peer_reviewed_research.htm

I chuckled when the first peer reviewed research stated this:

During over 5 years of follow-up (1995-2000), 1,888
    hematopoietic cancers and 315 malignant gliomas were
    ascertained. Higher levels of aspartame intake were not
    associated with the risk of overall hematopoietic cancer

(RR for z600 mg/d, 0.98; 95% CI, 0.76-1.27), glioma (RR for
    z400 mg/d, 0.73; 95% CI, 0.46-1.15; P for inverse linear
    trend = 0.05), or their subtypes in men and women.
    Conclusions: Our findings do not support the hypothesis
    that aspartame increases hematopoietic or brain cancer
    risk

I want to thank you for your peer reviewed studies proving your point. Erm, what was your point, again?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Jesyka_Gee wrote: »
    Here's what I do. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but when I'm out with friends and we are grabbing drinks, either stick to light beer or if you want the hard stuff go for a Vodka Tonic or Gin & Tonic. Tonic is a form of water, which will help with hydration throughout the night and a minimal hang over. This always works for me. My go-to drink is either Grey Goose and Tonic with a few lime wedges or Kettle and Tonic the same way. Hope it works out for you! :)

I haven't read all the way to the end, so I'm sorry if this has been said, but NO, tonic is not water! 12oz of tonic has about 125 calories. Diet tonic has 0 calories, but it tastes like something died on your tongue.

Club soda is water, but it doesn't taste very good with vodka IMO.

Actually I think it's quite lovely with vodka.

I'm a big fan of vodka & tonic...but will try with club soda again just because you said so. :)

with a splash of lemon or lime. Or a flavored vodka if you prefer. I also like it with bitters.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Vodka girl! If you like beer try Michelob Ultra light. Not the best tasting beer but it's macro friendly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    ^^No, but I could. I'm just being annoying. That'd be like...a bottle of wine or so right?

Okay I did some Googling... 122 calories for a 5oz glass of Cabernet, average of 6 glasses per bottle - so 732 calories for an entire bottle.

Jack Daniels is 65 calories per 1 ounce shot.

So 1300 calories would be about a bottle of Cab. and 8 shots of Jack.

I'd be in the ER getting my stomach pumped.

A bottle is 25 ounces, so that's 5.
    You can easily find a 100 calorie wine.

As for jack and other liquors, most shots/ pours are 1.5 ounces, aren't they?
    six of one, really...all a matter of preference.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    mjrkearney wrote: »
    Otherwise, I'd give you the same advice my mother gave me as a teenager: chase every drink with a glass of water. Makes it easier to pace yourself.

....and almost guarantees you won't have a hangover either. Great advice!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Vodka and diet coke with a slice of lime. Alternate every other drink for diet coke with lime without the vodka.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    If you don't want to make the commitment to better your health, then don't. But, don't dabble your toe in the water just enough to think you have reason to whine about nothing changing while still touting that you're not really changing at all.

I have been an alcoholic for much of my adult life, especially the last decade, so I know a thing or two about it, and have zero sympathy for people who not only refuse to change, but make a mockery of changing at the same time.

Based on one post you've made a startling number of blind judgements.
  • Jim_1000
    Jim_1000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is similar to M.S.G. and is a glutamate. It builds up in the brain over time. That is why Sucralose became the new standard. Unfortunately Sucralose is made by chlorinating a sugar mollicule. That is how some pesticides are formed. The answer to that was using Stevia ( a plant extract) which seems to have no negative health concerns. However, from what I have tried it doesn't taste quite the same. I personally hate the way aspartame tastes. I have recently seen yogurt and Pepsi with Stevia in it. If you want a good dose of artificial sweeteners try Pepsi-One which at one time had Aspartame, acesulfame potassium and Sucralose in it. Artificial sweeteners are cheaper than real sugar and increase your thirst.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Harunan wrote: »
    Look up metabolites of aspartame and tell me it isn't poison.

Read some peer-reviewed studies and tell me it is.

You asked:

http://www.mpwhi.com/peer_reviewed_research.htm

None of those articles proved aspartame is poison to the general populations. Some only list abstracts without conclusions. Some of the studies focus on rats in which the male rats are affected but not the females. Several of the articles indicated some people have sensitivities to aspartame as with any substance.

Here is a conclusion from one of the studies:

Gardener concludes: "Our results suggest a potential association between daily diet soft drink consumption and vascular outcomes. However, the mechanisms by which soft drinks may affect vascular events are unclear. There is a need for further research before any conclusions can be drawn regarding the potential health consequences of diet soft drink consumption."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120131092746.htm
  • ryanwood935
    Options
    fenderman9 wrote: »
    Aspartame is similar to M.S.G. and is a glutamate. It builds up in the brain over time. That is why Sucralose became the new standard. Unfortunately Sucralose is made by chlorinating a sugar mollicule. That is how some pesticides are formed. The answer to that was using Stevia ( a plant extract) which seems to have no negative health concerns. However, from what I have tried it doesn't taste quite the same. I personally hate the way aspartame tastes. I have recently seen yogurt and Pepsi with Stevia in it. If you want a good dose of artificial sweeteners try Pepsi-One which at one time had Aspartame, acesulfame potassium and Sucralose in it. Artificial sweeteners are cheaper than real sugar and increase your thirst.

Or maybe it's just because aspartame tastes like liquid ballsac.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options

Is that assessment based on experience? An actual comparison?
  • ryanwood935
    Options

Is that assessment based on experience? An actual comparison?

Man, I gotta start screening my posts before submitting... ouch :blush:
  • nomas616
    nomas616 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    She said she drinks liquor every two weeks or so. That's probably less than I drink it.

But do you drink 1,300 calories of alcohol in a night a few times a month? The JD also not logged in her diary that I can see. I see is some Stella and wine scattered through there which would be totally normal consumption that pretty much everyone here is talking about. If it's not logged it then only she knows the frequency and quantity.".

Hey it IS logged in. It happened on Friday if you are that curious.
    I just started logging and have not been weighing stuff. Mostly measuring (cups, ounces, tablespoons).
  • eychenn
    eychenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Drinking was a huge part of my social life as well, so cutting out drinking has minimized my social life lol what I've decided to do was reward myself with a night out for ever 5lbs I lose. I've been sticking to it and it feels great!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I love wine. and whisky. and beer.....

i'm trying to only drink on the days that I run....or on the weekend....seems to help, but I've been breaking my own rule lately.

if I were you I would just do it occasionally like you seem to be doing. and stick to vodka or wine.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I rarely drink now days but not due to calorie watching. Alcohol tends to impair my food choices and while drinking I will always exceed my calorie goal for the day. When I was drinking on a more regular basis I would go for vodka and sparkling water with a big squeeze of lemon.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Been drinking my white wine with soda water, reduces the calories and hydrates!

Also trying just to drink on weekends but not having much luck with that.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I skipped right over all the replies, so don't know if someone has already mentioned kombucha, but probably not! lol! It is fizzy, very low cal, has some beneficial properties, tastes good (can be an acquired taste for some), comes in a variety of flavors and some brands have small amounts of alcohol. However, you probably will have to bring it with you when you go out! Try GTs Gingerade.....it rocks! ....and if you like it you can start fermenting your own!!