Smoking

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    plus its really all the cancerous chemicals you get addicted too. smoking a rolled American spirit cigarette is a qualitatively different experience then smoking a marb red lol
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    pplastics wrote: »
    OP, cold turkey quit while you're ahead. It will probably be the most difficult thing in the world but it has to be done.

This. There is little research that proves e-cigs help individuals quit smoking. Save your money.

I'd like you to read through the responses of the successful quitters posting here who DID use the ecig to transition to being a non smoker. For quite a few of us, it did work. Research/studies etc aren't always in tune with what works in the real world, so maybe allow for actual life experience to color your advice.

Celebrate any product that helps a smoker to quit.

Truth. With the success people are having, I'm sure there will be more research published in the near future. They don't work for everyone, but they help A LOT of people quit. I'd say a little over half of the people I know who have tried it (myself included) have been successful. And they've been successful with little to no side effects (like weight gain and depression) that usually come along with quitting.

And I agree that I would not take advice on quitting smoking from someone who has never smoked.

i always liked smoking, idk how addicted i really was to the nicotine... but a suppose i had to be. If its the nicotine drug effect that draws you to smoking (whatever that really is lol) then it would probably help.

but if you really the act of drawing smoke into your lungs (i know to nonsmokers that probably sounds hella disgusting), then it probably wont do a lot for you.

You've got it backwards. They work better than patches and gums BECAUSE you still get the act/sensation of drawing "smoke" into your lunges.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    LeenaJean wrote: »
    FatFreeFrolicking, I get the impression you are not and have never been a smoker, so shhh...

You're right and thank the Lord for that.

I'm curious though… since when must you be a smoker to comment on a thread about smoking? Is it some sort of new rule?

I didn't think so. So kindly "shhh" yourself.

Do you often walk into AA meetings and yell at the people in there about the risk of cirrhosis of the liver? Your holy than thou attitude is pretentious and not appreciated.

No, she probably goes up to anyone she sees with a cigarette and gives them a lecture about how gross and harmful it is. And then they instantly quit because they're not EVEN addicted, they just didn't know it wasn't good for you.

lol, +1
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    FatFreeFrolicking, I get the impression you are not and have never been a smoker, so shhh...

You're right and thank the Lord for that.

I'm curious though… since when must you be a smoker to comment on a thread about smoking? Is it some sort of new rule?

I didn't think so. So kindly "shhh" yourself.

Do you often walk into AA meetings and yell at the people in there about the risk of cirrhosis of the liver? Your holy than thou attitude is pretentious and not appreciated.

No, she probably goes up to anyone she sees with a cigarette and gives them a lecture about how gross and harmful it is. And then they instantly quit because they're not EVEN addicted, they just didn't know it wasn't good for you.

Hah! Right?!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    bulzye wrote: »
    __drmerc__ wrote: »

Is smoking some elitist club where only people that do it can discuss how to quit it? Get real. Most of us here have dealt with struggles before. I didn't lose 70 pounds just by herpderpin my way through the past almost 2 years. I know what it takes to push myself out of my comfort zone to break bad habits.

Smoking is one of the hardest habits but it has to be taken care of with your own intrinsic motivation and it has to be done as soon as possible.

No one wants ignorant opinions and would rather talk to someone with experience

Says the guy who posts some of the most ignorant things on MFP.

I don't need to be a smoker or former smoker to post a comment on a thread about smoking. I actually have an education in public health and nursing which makes my comments 10,000x more "experienced." In fact, I just presented at a public health conference today about tobacco smoking.

I hope during your presentation you didn't say the words "myocardial infection". Whoops...

There's something called autocorrect in case you are unaware. Strong first post though.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    OP, cold turkey quit while you're ahead. It will probably be the most difficult thing in the world but it has to be done.

This. There is little research that proves e-cigs help individuals quit smoking. Save your money.

I'd like you to read through the responses of the successful quitters posting here who DID use the ecig to transition to being a non smoker. For quite a few of us, it did work. Research/studies etc aren't always in tune with what works in the real world, so maybe allow for actual life experience to color your advice.

Truth. With the success people are having, I'm sure there will be more research published in the near future. They don't work for everyone, but they help A LOT of people quit. I'd say a little over half of the people I know who have tried it (myself included) have been successful. And they've been successful with little to no side effects (like weight gain and depression) that usually come along with quitting.

And I agree that I would not take advice on quitting smoking from someone who has never smoked.

i always liked smoking, idk how addicted i really was to the nicotine... but a suppose i had to be. If its the nicotine drug effect that draws you to smoking (whatever that really is lol) then it would probably help.

but if you really the act of drawing smoke into your lungs (i know to nonsmokers that probably sounds hella disgusting), then it probably wont do a lot for you.

You've got it backwards. They work better than patches and gums BECAUSE you still get the act/sensation of drawing "smoke" into your lunges.

That doesn't change the fact that they still contain chemicals that can increase the risk of getting cancer.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options

That doesn't change the fact that they still contain chemicals that can increase the risk of getting cancer.

If e-cigs can help someone quit smoking (as they did for me and many other people on this thread), can you at least acknowledge that they are a better alternative to smoking the real deal, if being used as a cessation tool?

If you really do speak at anti-tobacco seminars or whatever, I hope you do not use the same level of snark and condescension that you have exhibited here. Quitting smoking is very difficult, and I do not believe that your attitude would help one person succeed.

All of us know that smoking was bad for our health when we started; hearing how bad it is for our health will have no impact in helping us quit.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

If e-cigs can help someone quit smoking (as they did for me and many other people on this thread), can you at least acknowledge that they are a better alternative to smoking the real deal, if being used as a cessation tool?

If you really do speak at anti-tobacco seminars or whatever, I hope you do not use the same level of snark and condescension that you have exhibited here. Quitting smoking is very difficult, and I do not believe that your attitude would help one person succeed.

All of us know that smoking was bad for our health when we started; hearing how bad it is for our health will have no impact in helping us quit.

1) It was not an "anti-tobacco" seminar.
    2) Not once did I say quitting smoking was easy. I've watched many people try and fail numerous times. I have seen how difficult it is.
    3) If someone replies to me in a rude, snarky manner, I will give it right back… hence my attitude in this thread.

Maybe you knew it was bad for your health but no one ever thinks they'll get cancer.

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I found that smoking supressed my appetite too. It's not why I started (it was because I was 15 years old, grown up and all that), but yes, I used to have a *kitten* and a cup of tea for breakfast and a *kitten* and a cup of hot chocolate for lunch.

I'd like to make some flippant comment about about how thin I was back then, but I have a feeling it would be lost in translation or misconstrued.

I quit cold turkey when I found out when I was pregnant, so I'm not sure how much of the increased food intake or my temper was due to quitting smoking, but I definitely missed having something to do with my hands because I'm a nervous person.

I am very glad I quit though and the smoking ban really helped too. Back when I had a social life, you could smoke in pubs and restaurants.

Edit to add: Yes, already lost in translation. A f@g is a cigarette.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky ones, I have no cravings and the smell of smoke now actually makes me sick.

And I did quit with the assistance of an e-cig, just over a year ago. Just like we all lose weight differently, quitting is a different process for everyone. I went into it knowing that I was allowed to use one bottle of medium nicotine, then one bottle of low nicotine and that was it (my personal goals). I think if you're going to successfully use them to curb cravings you need to set an end date, and reasonable expectations.

I *do* think though that I could have quit cold turkey if I had tried - I was just really scared to. It was the first (and only) time I had ever tried to quit. I did not gain any weight, either.

Good luck!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    I found that smoking supressed my appetite too. It's not why I started (it was because I was 15 years old, grown up and all that), but yes, I used to have a *kitten* and a cup of tea for breakfast and a *kitten* and a cup of hot chocolate for lunch.

I'd like to make some flippant comment about about how thin I was back then, but I have a feeling it would be lost in translation or misconstrued.

I quit cold turkey when I found out when I was pregnant, so I'm not sure how much of the increased food intake or my temper was due to quitting smoking, but I definitely missed having something to do with my hands because I'm a nervous person.

I am very glad I quit though and the smoking ban really helped too. Back when I had a social life, you could smoke in pubs and restaurants.

You can still smoke in bars and restaurants in New Orleans. It's crazy! :o
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I'm *not* at all trying to be combative or argue with you. But consider this: using a potentially dangerous, short term device to quit a proven dangerous, long term addiction - don't you think the benefits outweigh the risks in this situation?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I'm *not* at all trying to be combative or argue with you. But consider this: using a potentially dangerous, short term device to quit a proven dangerous, long term addiction - don't you think the benefits outweigh the risks in this situation?

The damage is already done so at that point it really won't matter. I was just stating that it's not exactly a "hazard free" option and ultimately, quitting cold turkey is the way to go; if the person is able to do so. But obviously not everyone is capable of doing that and some need the assistance of an e-cig.
  • JraeL91
    Options
    Vapors help me but I think they are just as addictive. They help with the "hand to mouth" habit. If you choose vapors they go down to 0 nicotine, everyone is different, making advice for quitting difficult.
  • nsides0427
    nsides0427 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 3 years and quit about a month ago. I craved the first three days and did the e-cig thing but after those 3 days I was just done. Since, I've had a couple of dreams about smoking which are bizarre but no really strong cravings. Interestingly enough, reading through this post has given me the biggest craving since I stopped. I love that I don't smell like smoke anymore now when I smell smoke on my boyfriend's breath, it's disgusting to me. I hope that continues, I still haven't tested this out in a social situation, but come Christmas we will see how strong my resolve will be.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm 44 and started smoking in college. When I quit 3 1/2 years ago (patch + wellbutrin), I gained about 10 pounds, which I quickly lost. More importantly, for the first time in my adult life, I reached a weight that I am happy with, and am now maintaining, WITHOUT the aid of cigarettes. The cravings haven't completely gone away, but they are manageable, fairly mild, and pretty infrequent. The benefits of not smoking far outweigh the occasional discomfort, though. My endurance is greatly improved, I can do much more intense workouts than I ever thought possible, and I don't stink. No regrets about quitting :)
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    jayche wrote: »
    Smoking newports helped me quit too.

i tried that technique myself, and it only got me smoking newports, lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    corduanji wrote: »
    I smoke off and on, generally 1/3 of a pack a day when I am smoking.
    I've never had trouble breathing or any trouble with exercise at all.
    When I'm taking smoking breaks I don't gain wait at all if i keep up my regular food and exercise routine.
    The cravings never really go away, which is why I still smoke......

Okay, I understand how some of you could be upset at the idea of someone smoking so they don't gain weight, I would be too. However, I do not see where she said that... she said the cravings never really go away which is why I still smoke, I believe she is referring to the smoking cravings, OP asked if you ever get over the craving to smoke. She is saying she still smokes because the craving to smoke for her is so strong.

Funny, This whole argument and I keep thinking, "Who is smoking to keep cravings away?" She still smokes because she craves the nicotine, not food. It's a misassociation based on her lack of experience with smoking. She is automatically redirected to her own inner cravings.

IAteAllTheVegans discussed how she doesn't gain weight if she eats her "regular food and exercise routine" right before saying the cravings don't go away… She's clearly talking about food cravings.

I did not read it that way. To me it seems like the cravings to smoke don't go away.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options

You can still smoke in bars and restaurants in New Orleans. It's crazy! :o
    That was the only thing I didn't like about Vegas.. they allow people to smoke in the Casinos. Disgusting.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of quitting right now! It's been 2 weeks. The cravings ( for CIGS! ) are intense, but I'm going to beat it. It's getting better every day. I've lost almost 100 lbs, 36 of them since joining MFP. I was nervous about gaining lbs from quitting, but in the last 2 weeks I've lost another 1.5 lbs! This thread has been very helpful and motivating. Even though I don't post much here, I just had to chime in! Good luck OP, and everyone else working towards their health goals. We can dooo eeeet!

Good for you!!!! Best thing you could ever do for your health. :)