Herbalife, Advocare, or Beachbody?

Options

Replies

• DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    OP...

I'll echo the sentiments of other posters when I say that you should avoid the gimmicky nonsense.

The suggestion for making overnight oats is stellar, given that YOU can control exactly what goes into them and what doesn't. No sub-par ingredients or things you don't like. If the little ones like oats and fruit, you can throw some together for them as well.

I like to use frozen blueberries myself. I throw the oats, blueberries, some ground flax, cinnamon and chia together at night with some almond milk. Pop it in the fridge, you're all set. It's a lifesaver for frigid mornings when I'm at the peak of my laziness prior to work.

As far as protein shakes go, I like BSN Lean Dessert, either the chocolate fudge pudding or whipped vanilla. It isn't chalky. I make it with almond milk and whatever fruit I have on hand. Mr. Colossus is a tad picky about things, and he seems to enjoy it. It's also decently priced and can be found on Amazon. (sidebar: my z key doesn't want to work.)

You can also get a basic protein powder at places like Walmart and dress it up with whatever milk you want and some fruit/vegetables. I hear-tell they're rather palatable as well.

I know it's daunting to deal with small ones, maintain your sanity and make food choices you can be content with. Like everything else, it's a balancing act.

You can do it, OP.
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Herbalife. Sometimes at breakfast, mostly at lunch. It's expensive, but I found myself sticking to my plan better. It might only be in my head, but that's OK. It helps me do what I need to do. I make them into filling shakes...powder, water, ice, peanut butter. That's my favorite. We add things to make them taste good. I was never a big fan of having a shake in place of food, but like I said, I was staying on track better. Just me. :)
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy so my breakfast is a peanut butter sandwich. Toss the bread on the scale, measure out my 32 grams and BAM, under 2 minutes I'm done. A nice easy fix is a piece of fruit that you can eat on the run. But yeah like others have said, breakfast isn't mandatory unless you're having issues later on.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy so my breakfast is a peanut butter sandwich. Toss the bread on the scale, measure out my 32 grams and BAM, under 2 minutes I'm done. A nice easy fix is a piece of fruit that you can eat on the run. But yeah like others have said, breakfast isn't mandatory unless you're having issues later on.

Not sure if my breakfast is more or less lazy. I have a protein shake (just add water) and a spoonful of peanut butter. It works for me, and I just found a protein powder I liked. (As per the picture, I'm currently trying several different brands, all of which are cheaper than the three proposed in the OP.)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I do not sell Advocare but I am a customer. I use the MNS3 supplement packs. It is kind of expensive. Of course the girl I buy from wants me to start selling it but I'm not ready for that. MNS3 works best for me. if been taking them for almost 6 months. I've lost 54 lbs. It helps curb my appetite and I don't get the strong crazy cravings I use to. It has probiotics in it along with stuff like garlic, Omega 3, green tea extract and all the other typical vitamins and minerals. Spark is great but it to much for me with the MNS3. I have tried their breakfast bars but I only buy them on sale. I know people say don't buy these type of things because it's expensive. But I have a cousin who is a doctor. She has been telling me for years that if you want good supplements you have to spend the money. The stuff in the drugstores are a weaker version. That's why they are cheaper.

I'm not into meal replacement shakes. I do make eggs in the microwave sometimes. Hungry Girl has several recipes or you can Google mug eggs. It only takes 5 minutes prep included. I use whole eggs but you can use egg whites or egg beaters.

While I don't discredit the great job you have done losing 54lbs, it is pretty common knowledge that the ingredients in these products are sub par. Whether a doctor told you that or not (tip: doctors don't know much about nutrition) makes little difference.

Not all doctors are ignorant to nutrition, though I do believe a lot are. My cousin (the doctor) and her husband who is also a doctor do study nutrition among a lot of other things. They are big into eating organic, no GMO, they are big into natural remedies.

You are all free to have a opinion. We all have them. I rarely reply to posts and this is why. The original poster is asking for opinions. We shouldn't be picking each others opinion's apart.

Just ignore them. They have nothing better to do :)

But...but....aren't you doing the same thing? You share your opinions on these boards quite frequently.

Yeah, I post frequently. I don't rip apart/nit pick people's opinions. There's a big difference.

Yes, cause telling someone to ignore a poster (me) when I said nothing negative to the girl isn't nit picky at all....

You clearly didn't read my previous post. Or maybe you did since it was flagged twice for abuse when it's no where close to "abusive." People really need to learn when it's appropriate to flag a post and when it's not.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    OP- I suggest the Greek yogurt with something like granola in it. It is super easy, and high in protein. Or egg whites. You can find several really easy and simple recipes on pinterest. I am a single parent as well, and it is super hard trying to find the time to cook a nutritious meal, especially when it is just for us. I have looked into these products, because like a lot that have posted here, I have friends who sell them. The reason I have decided not to purchase them is honestly from a cost stand point. I have found that it is better for me and my budget to buy the food. I know where it is coming from, I know the ingredients that I add, and there are no words that I won't even begin to pronounce.
    - Other posters, stop acting like you are better than others and that your opinion holds more value. Telling someone to ignore others when the OP asked for opinions is going to get you nothing but trouble. Instead of commenting, just stop the picking and don't comment. If you have nothing nice to say, then move along and close your mouth. If someone's opinion ticks you off, take a break from the forums. And just remember, it's easy now to see what people post since we can search. And yes we are all entitled to our opinions...just remember what salt and pepa said about that, though ;)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am doing calorie counting but as a single mom of three little girls I don't have a lot of time to make breakfast in the morning so I was hoping to find something quick and easy. Im trying to stop skipping breakfast.
    Quick, easy, nutritious foods:
    oatmeal, esp. instant
    yogurt, esp. Greek
    fruit
    toast with peanut butter
    eggs (esp. if you hard boil some & have them in a bag in the fridge)
    cheese
    make a smoothie with frozen fruit & skim milk; maybe add a scoop of whey protein or a raw egg or some flaxseed, nuts, or soft tofu
    make-ahead breakfast muffins (scrambled eggs, sausage, cheese, bisquick mix)

Eat real food.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-10-06-eat-real-food-700735

Definitely avoid Herbalife! This page has links to info on some of its problems, including liver failure leading to death.
    http://www.mlmwatch.org/04C/Herbalife/herbalife00.html
    Meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss
    Wrong.
    Eat about half your calories for breakfast in order to lose more weight than the usual American plan of a tiny breakfast & big dinner.
    See the last half of this post for the studies:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-10-some-studies-about-weight-loss-667818

51637601.png
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I vote for buying all 3 and making them into a supershake which will definitely make you lose weight 3 times as fast - science.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I do not sell Advocare but I am a customer. I use the MNS3 supplement packs. It is kind of expensive. Of course the girl I buy from wants me to start selling it but I'm not ready for that. MNS3 works best for me. if been taking them for almost 6 months. I've lost 54 lbs. It helps curb my appetite and I don't get the strong crazy cravings I use to. It has probiotics in it along with stuff like garlic, Omega 3, green tea extract and all the other typical vitamins and minerals. Spark is great but it to much for me with the MNS3. I have tried their breakfast bars but I only buy them on sale. I know people say don't buy these type of things because it's expensive. But I have a cousin who is a doctor. She has been telling me for years that if you want good supplements you have to spend the money. The stuff in the drugstores are a weaker version. That's why they are cheaper.

I'm not into meal replacement shakes. I do make eggs in the microwave sometimes. Hungry Girl has several recipes or you can Google mug eggs. It only takes 5 minutes prep included. I use whole eggs but you can use egg whites or egg beaters.

While I don't discredit the great job you have done losing 54lbs, it is pretty common knowledge that the ingredients in these products are sub par. Whether a doctor told you that or not (tip: doctors don't know much about nutrition) makes little difference.

Not all doctors are ignorant to nutrition, though I do believe a lot are. My cousin (the doctor) and her husband who is also a doctor do study nutrition among a lot of other things. They are big into eating organic, no GMO, they are big into natural remedies.

You are all free to have a opinion. We all have them. I rarely reply to posts and this is why. The original poster is asking for opinions. We shouldn't be picking each others opinion's apart.

Just ignore them. They have nothing better to do :)

But...but....aren't you doing the same thing? You share your opinions on these boards quite frequently.

Yeah, I post frequently. I don't rip apart/nit pick people's opinions. There's a big difference.

Yes, cause telling someone to ignore a poster (me) when I said nothing negative to the girl isn't nit picky at all....

You clearly didn't read my previous post. Or maybe you did since it was flagged twice for abuse when it's no where close to "abusive." People really need to learn when it's appropriate to flag a post and when it's not.

Yet nearly everyone who has quoted what you have said in this forum has been "flagged" as well? Isn't that ironic a little bit?
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    OP...

I'll echo the sentiments of other posters when I say that you should avoid the gimmicky nonsense.

The suggestion for making overnight oats is stellar, given that YOU can control exactly what goes into them and what doesn't. No sub-par ingredients or things you don't like. If the little ones like oats and fruit, you can throw some together for them as well.

I like to use frozen blueberries myself. I throw the oats, blueberries, some ground flax, cinnamon and chia together at night with some almond milk. Pop it in the fridge, you're all set. It's a lifesaver for frigid mornings when I'm at the peak of my laziness prior to work.

As far as protein shakes go, I like BSN Lean Dessert, either the chocolate fudge pudding or whipped vanilla. It isn't chalky. I make it with almond milk and whatever fruit I have on hand. Mr. Colossus is a tad picky about things, and he seems to enjoy it. It's also decently priced and can be found on Amazon. (sidebar: my z key doesn't want to work.)

You can also get a basic protein powder at places like Walmart and dress it up with whatever milk you want and some fruit/vegetables. I hear-tell they're rather palatable as well.

I know it's daunting to deal with small ones, maintain your sanity and make food choices you can be content with. Like everything else, it's a balancing act.

You can do it, OP.

One of my favorites, too. I like the BSN Syntha6 vanilla ice cream, as well. Mmmm.
    I vote for buying all 3 and making them into a supershake which will definitely make you lose weight 3 times as fast - science.

But, in perspective of another post this morning, put 10 pickles on it, then four times as fast!
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    OP...

You can do it, OP.

One of my favorites, too. I like the BSN Syntha6 vanilla ice cream, as well. Mmmm.

But, in perspective of another post this morning, put 10 pickles on it, then four times as fast!

Damn I missed the pickles thing but it definitely sounds like a delicious idea mmmmm chocolate and pickle shake nomnomnom
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I am doing calorie counting but as a single mom of three little girls I don't have a lot of time to make breakfast in the morning so I was hoping to find something quick and easy. Im trying to stop skipping breakfast.
    Meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss
    Wrong.
    Eat about half your calories for breakfast in order to lose more weight than the usual American plan of a tiny breakfast & big dinner.
    See the last half of this post for the studies:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-10-some-studies-about-weight-loss-667818

51637601.png

Meal timing is personal preference. You might want to review some more studies.

I've lost 116 lbs and I've eaten 1-2 meals for the majority of it... with my first meal being around 1pm. I'll stick with my big dinner it works.

OP if you don't like breakfast don't eat it, but if you want breakfast and need something quick there are lots of things you can prepare or grab quick rather than overpriced shakes
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have tried both and by far Beachbody is the best
  • KeeRae1989
    KeeRae1989 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Beach Body for the workouts. Advocare for the shakes and supplements. I love the vanilla Advocare shakes. The chocolate-enh not so much.
    Shakeology doesn't taste good to me, but I love Beachbody workouts!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you want a fast and easy breakfast, here are two:

1) 1/2 c. old fashioned oats, 1 c. water, microwave for 2 minutes. Done.

2) 1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt, 1 scoop protein powder (I use Body Fortress which costs $18 for a months worth)
  • hyde0610
    hyde0610 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know I will be shamed for this, but I really do love the beach body programs. I have only recently started drinking Shakeology and I love the way that it makes me feel. Maybe it is mental, but I make my drink very thick so it feels like I am drinking a milk shake so since I have that in my mind, I don't feel the need to hit up the candy dish at work because I already feel like I had a treat. Also, yes, I know I can buy any work out DVD and it doesn't necessarily have to be beach body, but these are the ones I have stuck with (also tried 30 Day Shred which I didn't stick with). Also, I did the 21 day fix and it was more about teaching me portion control than a "diet". I needed the guidance of the meal plans and groups. It is so much more than "drink this special drink." No one ever gets on Weight Watchers case about paying to attend meetings to check in or paying for their point books, etc. so why the beach body hate? After trying many things (including running like crazy and making my own meal plans), this is the first thing to work for me so I tend to get a little defensive about it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sure, some studies link breakfast consumption with a healthy weight but as everyone likes to say "correlation does NOT equal causation". Just because the majority of people who are a healthy weight eat breakfast does not mean that you HAVE to eat breakfast to be healthy.

Personally, I've found that I'm just as hungry at 11am if I eat breakfast as I am if I don't. So I usually don't. I've maintained a healthy weight most of my life.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    If your time in the morning is limited, save yourself the money and have a yogurt, fruit and some multi-grain toast. Or hardboil a few eggs and keep them in the fridge for when you're hungry for breakfast. No need to suffer through nasty shakes when you can eat real food for a lot less money :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »
    There are plenty of options for a quick and easy breakfast. Trust me, the last thing you want is any of those options. Nothing worse than dealing with MLM salespeople.

Greek yogurt is quick and easy and a good source of protein. And much less expensive.

This^

Greek yogurt....toss in some Grapenuts cereal and/or chopped nuts.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am doing calorie counting but as a single mom of three little girls I don't have a lot of time to make breakfast in the morning (their school serves all kids breakfast) so I was hoping to find something quick and easy. Im trying to stop skipping beeakfast.
    Make your own protein shake or smoothie at home. You can buy frozen fruit and spinach/kale, put daily servings of each into freezer bags, and then take out every morning to blend. Just add almond milk, coconut water or water liquid you like. Oh and protein powder if you like. Its much better tasting and you can add to it whatever you like. Even flax seeds and coconut oil are a great addition.

Not hard eh?!

ETA: sorry if I repeated anything, as I did not read the thread.