Can some food spike your metabolism?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    lorib642 wrote: »
    OP I know you said you added calories. Is it possible you miscalculated? I find fatty foods like nuts sometimes fill me up longer and I actually eat less calories. I am not doubting you, just that I haven't heard of losing by eating more.

He may have been in too much of a deficit and adding more calories might have helped with some of the weight loss.

Biology doesn't work that way. "Too much of a deficit" results in rapid weight loss - always.

and a very slow RMR

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OP I know you said you added calories. Is it possible you miscalculated? I find fatty foods like nuts sometimes fill me up longer and I actually eat less calories. I am not doubting you, just that I haven't heard of losing by eating more.

He may have been in too much of a deficit and adding more calories might have helped with some of the weight loss.

Biology doesn't work that way. "Too much of a deficit" results in rapid weight loss - always.

So then when I was stalled in my weight loss why was I told to play around with the calories with adding more calories??

I may have worded it wrong but I have heard that adding more calories can help.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    peppers and hot sauce seemed to help me

29509743.png
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

So then when I was stalled in my weight loss why was I told to play around with the calories with adding more calories??

Because the world is full of people giving bad advice on topics they know little about.

• MomTo3Lovez
    Options

Because the world is full of people giving bad advice on topics they know little about.

Oh then I guess when I added more calories by a little and started losing again I guess it was just a fluke...ok thanks

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Anything that perceivably, temporarily increased your metabolic rate would have disastrous consequences for heart rate and body temperature.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Oh then I guess when I added more calories by a little and started losing again I guess it was just a fluke...ok thanks

LOL like he said giving out bad advice.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    YES! certain combos of diet and certain types of exercise can absolutely spike your metabolism.
    How can you state this and not give examples?

Oh, easy. By just typing the sentence on to the keyboard and hitting Post Reply

I'm going against the grain here... but I LOVE this response.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited November 2014
    Options

Or it could be that you don't understand what is going on, and are thereby attributing a temporary "success" to the wrong factors.

Anyway, you've clearly made up your mind, and it's not my job to convince you otherwise. Further discussion can wait until you start your inevitable "OMG I've tried everything and I'm totally stalled!@!@!@!!!" thread.

Cheers.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Ok, so it's not exactly a food, and not an all the time food at that...

but what about Montana's finest uncut coke?

Doesn't that spike metabolism?
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Nothing I know of can speed up your metabolism but there are foods that will effect thermogenesis, thus burning more calories as your body heats up or make you burn more energy due to activity increase.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I may have worded it wrong but I have heard that adding more calories can help.

Because you were give information by someone based on false ideas. You might see a reduction in weight after an increase or a cheat meal/day due to relieving some stress and having a reduction in cortisol but increasing isn't making you burn more fat.

The problem is you accepted information just because and then when you try to pass it off to others you might be asked to explain it but you won't be able to

Thank you for the first part of your reply....the second part well it is what it is, it happened with me when I added more calories and that's what I said didn't try to come up with anything else just my experience that's all, didn't look to start anything...sorry.

Ok well since you apparently know more then me with the amount of posts you have clearly you have been here a while....what is with the whole Eat More to Lose More?? I mean it contradicts weight loss no? Unless I am not understanding it fully which is entirely possible hence why I am asking.

• Weirdology
    Options
    I've been lead to believe that a cup of Green Tea between half and hour to an hour after a meal can increase the speed of the breakdown of food in your stomach. Not sure if it actually increases metabolism (maybe because of the caffeine) or if it just helps the physical breakdown in the stomach. May need further research to corroborate that!

Why would you want the food in your stomach to digest faster? You would just be hungry again sooner, right? Not trying to be rude, just trying to understand your post.

I find making a cup of green tea to be good for filling my stomach and keeping me busy when I'm not truly hungry, but that's about it.

I think the theory is that food sitting around in your stomach can't be good for metabolism. And maybe if it digest faster, and you eat more, than your metabolism increases? Not claiming this as fact. I just think a lot of people think this based on those people that eat, eat, eat all the time but are still skinny as heck.

Also, not everyone here has the same goals. When I first came here I was trying to eat as much as possible and increase my calories in an attempt to lose weight (because that's what I was told I needed to do). I feel full almost all the time, which was hindering that goal. It possibly would have been easier if my food was able to digest faster. But as a regular green tea drinker, I don't think this actually works anyways.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ...what is with the whole Eat More to Lose More?? I mean it contradicts weight loss no?

That book is about losing a lot of weight, which takes a long time. The book doesn't claim that eating more will result in faster weight loss - it claims that eating at smaller deficits (ie losing weight slower) will be easier for people to maintain over a longer period of time, thereby leading to more weight loss over the long run.

The premise is completely consistent with CICO, which tells us that eating more leads to slower weight loss.

• dbmata
    Options
    ....what is with the whole Eat More to Lose More??
    Well, that's pretty simple, it's the same as go slower to go faster in auto racing.

• MomTo3Lovez
    Options

Or it could be that you don't understand what is going on, and are thereby attributing a temporary "success" to the wrong factors.

Anyway, you've clearly made up your mind, and it's not my job to convince you otherwise. Further discussion can wait until you start your inevitable "OMG I've tried everything and I'm totally stalled!@!@!@!!!" thread.

Cheers.

Yeah since people give out bad advice you won't be seeing any of those threads....thanks though and it's not like when I made that comment there was any added as to why it could have happened...which did come later on and made more sense. My reply would have been different if there was more to it then "people giving bad advice..." and left it at that without going further into it, that's why I replied the way I did that's all....I can't learn if no one tells me.

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Nothing I know of can speed up your metabolism but there are foods that will effect thermogenesis, thus burning more calories as your body heats up or make you burn more energy due to activity increase.

Is this a noticeable difference? What types of foods?
  • MomTo3Lovez
    Options
    ...what is with the whole Eat More to Lose More?? I mean it contradicts weight loss no?

That book is about losing a lot of weight, which takes a long time. The book doesn't claim that eating more will result in faster weight loss - it claims that eating at smaller deficits (ie losing weight slower) will be easier for people to maintain over a longer period of time, thereby leading to more weight loss over the long run.

The premise is completely consistent with CICO, which tells us that eating more leads to slower weight loss.

Ah ok well that makes more sense to me when you put it like that. Thanks