Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    This post is ambiguous. Can you elaborate on what constitutes a big word?

Like one poster here likes to throw around french words like "de novo lipogenesis" to get you to give up your argument

Excuse me sir, do you have a problem with French people? Je me comprends pas pourquoi, nous sommes des personnes comme les autres... ;)

Just their attitude and food
    How is it possible that one does not enjoy the curd of milk separated from the whey atop leavened flour?

• feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    feralX wrote: »
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    Hippopotamus is a big word. It has many letters and many syllables. I feel like we don't talk enough about hippopotamuses around here.
    I'm with you...I find it exceedingly difficult to have a serious hippopotamus conversation these days. I blame the internet.

And we should be talking about them!

According to the Internet (which is filled with truth), hippopotamuses kill more people than lions, and tigers and bears each year.

NIIIIIICE! NOW we're having a serious hippo discussion. Of course they're more dangerous than lions, tigers, and bears. Those are all meat eaters and are therefore good and trustworthy. Hippos on the other hand are primarily herbivores, and you just know those are evil and you never turn your back on one. ;)
  • RyanMatthewHarrell
    Options
    Yeah I have to agree with a lot of these other people. Don't *kitten* just because you can't read.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    Speaking of phonetics, what about 'bologna' and 'colonel'?

And yeah, hippos kill more people in Africa every year than any other creature except mosquitoes.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    mjtunney wrote: »

And yeah, hippos kill more people in Africa every year than any other creature except mosquitoes.

hippos are so beautiful ahh what magic
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The internet is one of the few refuges I have left to express the full breadth of my vocabulary.

I was cooking with my daughter and granddaughter the other day and I asked if I could use their "colander". My daughter asked if I could use the other word for it so they could know what I was talking about. Oh yeah, a sieve. Sheesh. So many great words, so few places to use them.

Sieve is not the first word that would come to mind for that.
    Colander or strainer. It is a sieve but still... lol

I am distracted by the blinding light emanating from your groinal region. I think I need to report this for the way it makes me feel. Also, is that heaven?

I heart you.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yurippe wrote: »

Like one poster here likes to throw around french words like "de novo lipogenesis" to get you to give up your argument
    Every time I don't know what something is I google. Wish I hadn't.
    The enzymatic pathway for converting dietary carbohydrate (CHO) into fat, or de novo lipogenesis (DNL), is present in humans, whereas the capacity to convert fats into CHO does not exist. Here, the quantitative importance of DNL in humans is reviewed, focusing on the response to increased intake of dietary CHO. Eucaloric replacement of dietary fat by CHO does not induce hepatic DNL to any substantial degree. Similarly, addition of CHO to a mixed diet does not increase hepatic DNL to quantitatively important levels, as long as CHO energy intake remains less than total energy expenditure (TEE). Instead, dietary CHO replaces fat in the whole-body fuel mixture, even in the post-absorptive state. Body fat is thereby accrued, but the pathway of DNL is not traversed; instead, a coordinated set of metabolic adaptations, including resistance of hepatic glucose production to suppression by insulin, occurs that allows CHO oxidation to increase and match CHO intake. Only when CHO energy intake exceeds TEE does DNL in liver or adipose tissue contribute significantly to the whole-body energy economy. It is concluded that DNL is not the pathway of first resort for added dietary CHO, in humans. Under most dietary conditions, the two major macronutrient energy sources (CHO and fat) are therefore not interconvertible currencies; CHO and fat have independent, though interacting, economies and independent regulation. The metabolic mechanisms and physiologic implications of the functional block between CHO and fat in humans are discussed, but require further investigation.

Oh Geez... I found myself doing the same thing! Isn't that why we have Google, to search for the unknown? LOL!
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    3up9nglijjsk.gif
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »

hippos are so beautiful ahh what magic

most of the people are African though, not the people you want removed...
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Debbjones wrote: »

Every time I don't know what something is I google. Wish I hadn't.
    The enzymatic pathway for converting dietary carbohydrate (CHO) into fat, or de novo lipogenesis (DNL), is present in humans, whereas the capacity to convert fats into CHO does not exist. Here, the quantitative importance of DNL in humans is reviewed, focusing on the response to increased intake of dietary CHO. Eucaloric replacement of dietary fat by CHO does not induce hepatic DNL to any substantial degree. Similarly, addition of CHO to a mixed diet does not increase hepatic DNL to quantitatively important levels, as long as CHO energy intake remains less than total energy expenditure (TEE). Instead, dietary CHO replaces fat in the whole-body fuel mixture, even in the post-absorptive state. Body fat is thereby accrued, but the pathway of DNL is not traversed; instead, a coordinated set of metabolic adaptations, including resistance of hepatic glucose production to suppression by insulin, occurs that allows CHO oxidation to increase and match CHO intake. Only when CHO energy intake exceeds TEE does DNL in liver or adipose tissue contribute significantly to the whole-body energy economy. It is concluded that DNL is not the pathway of first resort for added dietary CHO, in humans. Under most dietary conditions, the two major macronutrient energy sources (CHO and fat) are therefore not interconvertible currencies; CHO and fat have independent, though interacting, economies and independent regulation. The metabolic mechanisms and physiologic implications of the functional block between CHO and fat in humans are discussed, but require further investigation.

Oh Geez... I found myself doing the same thing! Isn't that why we have Google, to search for the unknown? LOL!

Yes, but I'm hoping what I find is interesting.

Who the hell is this kid? He looks so familiar.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious....

giphy.gif

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Who the hell is this kid? He looks so familiar.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious....

giphy.gif
    I believe it's a young Josh Hutcherson (Hunger Games)

tumblr_m5dciu2aNQ1rpwd9j.gif

• Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There are two kinds of people: those who are intimidated by big words and insecure about it; and those who embrace what they don't know and view "big words" as an opportunity to expand their vocabulary.

Personally I love it when someone uses a word I don't recognize, I'll look it up and "voila!", I've learned something new.

Your muscles aren't the only body part that needs exercise, after all...

There is a third kind of people....the kind who buy big trucks and use big words to make up for their lack of size in the (what's the biggest word for pe---???) erectile protrusions department.

I'm not sure big trucks and an impressive vocabulary correlate, other than (possibly) inversely? Most (not all) of the guys I know with big trucks are rather dim-witted unless they own a construction company, in which case they tend to employ dim-witted people with big trucks.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    3up9nglijjsk.gif

funny-animal-gifs-hippo-used-hyperbeam_zps60eed0e0.gif
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Have we just created a hippo thread? Is this..could this be a MFP first?

Hippos!

hippopotamus-quotes-1.jpg
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    imagejpg1_zps2df2fd0a.jpg
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    So sexy...

3302592027_d0a077192e.jpg
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Kidding, they're actually terrifying! Wth?! I wouldn't want to wake up to that.
    06-hippo-yawn.jpg
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    lold.jpg
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the word apathy means and I don't care!
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Well THIS has been a highly entertaining way to spend my last half hour at work on Friday afternoon. My profuse and genuine thanks to all contributors. :D