Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Replies

• jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    ive just spent 2hrs reading this thread of yours and i must say .. what a transformation and what a great guy you are for replying to so many peoples questions. This is what i thought mfp would be about .. people helping others and taking the time out to alleviate confusion.
    Unfortunately the real world dictates that some folk who have the knowledge dont want to part with it without money changing hands or making it "their way is the only way".
    Congrats on breaking the mold, and inspiring so many of us members.
  • adiele55
    adiele55 Posts: 5 Member
    You look great, I started at 315 too, and now at 300 in about 6 weeks. I work with a trainers, and do cardio twice at week. I run for 2 mins, and walk for 1 min on the treadmill. This combo is done for 15 min max, then I hit the weights. My question for you is on IF - Intermittent Fasting. I read up about it and want to try the lean gains. 18 hours fasted, and 6 hours eating window. Did you consider this when you were loosing weight? Thanks
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Bumping to save all this great information. Thank You, Vismal!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    kananm wrote: »
    Hi,
    Your transformation is really inspiring! Just wanted to know if alcohol can be included in the diet or does one completely need to refrain? Also, were you following mfp's recommendation for calories and carbs?
    Alcohol is no different then anything else, track the calories it contains and consume in moderation. I did not follow MFP's guidelines. They go by the RDA which I feel has most people eating too little protein. They always assume you will eat back exercise calories which is something I don't like to do.
    If you had stretchmarks from being obese, did they fade significantly after you lost weight and got into better shape?

I know it's a weird question, but my boyfriend's stats are similar to yours pre-weightloss and this is something he's hoping will happen so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
    Stretch marks were horrible at first but are virtually invisible if I have any kind of a tan now. This is very much a case by case thing though. Some people who have lost far less than I have, have terrible stretch marks.

• vismal
    Congrats! :trollface::smiley: Do you think good results can be achieved with up to a (total of) 30 pounds(dumbbells)? Gym membership isn't an option for me and currently 4 strength I only have like 3 barbie weights( one 2 pound and two 5 pound dumbbells). So I'd have to buy my weights, but 30 pound's the highest I can find at local stores. Buying online also isn't an option.
    30 lb weights will get you started but you will quickly outgrow them. There are alternatives to barbell/dumbbell workouts and plenty of people achieve their goal physique without ever going to a gym. I personally believe the gym is the easiest way to go about things. If cost is your barrier, I'd look into a YMCA that offers discounts based on needs or simply find the cheapest gym possible in your area. I would give up something in order to cover the cost. In the long run, the gym might potentially add years to your life. You can't put a price on that.
  • vismal
    adiele55 wrote: »
    You look great, I started at 315 too, and now at 300 in about 6 weeks. I work with a trainers, and do cardio twice at week. I run for 2 mins, and walk for 1 min on the treadmill. This combo is done for 15 min max, then I hit the weights. My question for you is on IF - Intermittent Fasting. I read up about it and want to try the lean gains. 18 hours fasted, and 6 hours eating window. Did you consider this when you were loosing weight? Thanks
    I used IF for the majority of my weight loss. Leangains is not the same as IF. It is a complete diet that utilizes IF. IF is simple an eating schedule. To do IF you simply eat all your food in a predetermined window of time. Leangains has specific ways you eat your carbs and fats, and has specific workouts. I'd recommend just doing IF and maybe trying the whole leangains program after you have lost some more weight.

• vismal,
    fastastic transformation and you are so helpful to many. I have successfully lost 40 lbs within the past year plus ran 1 marathon and 1 1/2 marathon. First ones ever... Now I would like to start adding some muscle, for the past few months I have been lifting and although I feel stronger I can't visually see any muscle gain. I had never heard of the 5X5 method until reading your story.
    Can you explain the proper technique? Do I do 5 reps to fatigue each set? For 5 sets. How do I determine the amount of weight to use is not?
    Thank you
  • vismal
    rikerdog wrote: »
    vismal,
    fastastic transformation and you are so helpful to many. I have successfully lost 40 lbs within the past year plus ran 1 marathon and 1 1/2 marathon. First ones ever... Now I would like to start adding some muscle, for the past few months I have been lifting and although I feel stronger I can't visually see any muscle gain. I had never heard of the 5X5 method until reading your story.
    Can you explain the proper technique? Do I do 5 reps to fatigue each set? For 5 sets. How do I determine the amount of weight to use is not?
    Thank you
    Muscle growth is painfully slow. You have to be sure you are eating enough to gain. Having a small caloric surplus is necessary to build muscle efficiently. You should be trying to gain about 2 lbs a months. The way a 5x5 works is that you pick a starting weight for the lift. Your starting weight should be something you can complete for 5 sets of 5 reps. The 5th set should be hard but completed without assistance. If you do complete all 5 reps for all 5 sets, increase the weight next time you go to the gym. Eventually you will not complete all 5 sets of 5. When this happens, stop at failure. Do not lift past failure. You may for instance get 2 sets of 5, 2 sets of 4, and 1 set of 3. The next week you should try and increase the number of reps completed. Even if you only do 1 more rep then the previous week, you are still progressing and it's okay. Once you eventually work up to doing all 5 sets for 5 reps, you again increase weight. If after a few sessions you are not increasing or you are decreasing, reduce your weight by 10%. This will work for most people for at least the first year of lifting.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,958 Member
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    I hate to disagree with OP, but a sufficient home setup doesn't *have* to cost a lot of money. A decent cage can be had for $350ish (http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html) and a cheap bar and iron plates for a couple hundred. Add a flat bench for another hundred and you have a workable setup for $700 that will give you decades of use (or at least mine has...and yeah, that cage I linked is the one I bought ~20 years ago). Pick some of this up on craigslist, garage sales, or a secondhand store and it's even cheaper.
    That IS a lot of money though...

• Vismal, you look amazing, man! Congratulations! Having a visual of your success is very motivational to me. Keep the good work and thank you for posting.
  • bugsplatt
    bugsplatt Posts: 13 Member
    Bumping so I can save the thread. Great info here. Thanks, vismal, for all the time you spend here answering questions!
  • ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    My question: I'm on MFP to lose weight myself which is encouraging my BF to do the same. Hes starting about the same place you did. How do I encourage him without nagging? I want us to both be healthy, but I know its a personal choice.
  • biteback
    biteback Posts: 4 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    The bad: I'm kind of a pain about going out to eat certain places. I don't much like eating food I didn't prepare unless its on my very few and far between free days. Don't get me wrong I eat treats and snacks all the time but I weigh/prepare them myself so I can account for it. I will always feel the need to better myself. When I was fat I didn't care. Sometimes this can be mentally exhausting. But the bads don't even begin to compare to all the goods.

That's exactly how I am. I can't afford to be very spontaneous about going out to eat because I need to know where I'll be eating and what I can eat...I like to log a few days in advanced so there's no room for random eating! I weigh what I eat as well...
  • GeauxWill
    GeauxWill Posts: 6 Member
    I just started strong lifts 5x5 last week. I am doing it 3 days a week as recommended in the program(MWF). How much cardio should I incorporate, and when?

I am 29yo male currently at 282, started at 293 four weeks ago, so obviously my current goal(and for a very long time) is to drop weight but try to hold on to as much lean muscle as I can during the process.
  • vismal
    My question: I'm on MFP to lose weight myself which is encouraging my BF to do the same. Hes starting about the same place you did. How do I encourage him without nagging? I want us to both be healthy, but I know its a personal choice.
    He's just got to want to do it. You can encourage by making things easier on him such as helping prepare food, not putting him in positions where breaking the diet might be easy to do. But if he slips up you simply need to encourage getting back into things. Getting on him about things will likely only make him want to quit.
    @vismal i cant kick this plateau ..heeeeeeeelp!

• vismal
    GeauxWill wrote: »
    I just started strong lifts 5x5 last week. I am doing it 3 days a week as recommended in the program(MWF). How much cardio should I incorporate, and when?

I am 29yo male currently at 282, started at 293 four weeks ago, so obviously my current goal(and for a very long time) is to drop weight but try to hold on to as much lean muscle as I can during the process.
    As little or as much as you'd like. You can do it anytime you want as well. The only time I wouldn't do it is immediately before your lifting workout. Immediately after is even okay. Know that diet is endlessly more important than cardio. You must also watch how you recover from all your physical activity. When you start feeling run down all the time, you should cut back on cardio before lifting.
  • momtoaz
    momtoaz Posts: 20 Member
    I just read a good bit of the post on this thread. I will be reading the rest. Especially since I jumped over a hurdle EVEN OVER THANKSGIVING! Thank you for sharing your storie
  • faiora
    faiora Posts: 6 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    I work in health care and no long feel like a hypocrite when I tell my patience about the risk factors associated with obesity. I love being able to pull out old fat picture when someone says something to the effect of "You don't understand because your in shape" or "you don't get it, you've never been fat".

I have congenital heart problems, and our "patient educator nurse" is this thin girl who looks like she's never been overweight, and doesn't come across as having empathy. It's all "drink more water" and "eat less salt" and it simply isn't that straightforward. I'd really love if someone in my string of healthcare providers could show me an old photo and say "look, I've been there and it was rough, but I know you can do what I did."

But I think another thing that hurts is the assumption that because I'm overweight, I don't take care of myself at all, and don't know anything about nutrition. I have low/normal blood pressure, excellent cholesterol levels, and no signs of diabetes. Now, of course that doesn't mean my weight is healthy, but given my family history I don't think I can attribute these stats to genetics. I think the food choices I make are generally good, and all these suggestions to "choose low fat dairy" and the like are problematic. I don't have to eat the way my nutritionist or that nurse does to have a healthier weight. I have to find a method that's right for my body and my lifestyle.

Anyway, keep doing what you're doing - and if you can, use your achievements to inspire people. There are so many conflicting stories and opinions in the medical world, and sometimes we just need to hear someone say "look, this is a real thing you can achieve, and I believe in you."
  • awesome job! you look amazing!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    incredibly amazing transformation.
    I love reading AMAs on reddit. This one has been equally informative and enlightening.
    MFP could use more of you ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!