I NEED to start working out in the AM before work. Help!

Options

Replies

• lLionMindl
    lLionMindl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I really need to start working out before work. I have full access to a gym as well as spin classes in the AM twice a week. I don't need to be in to work until about 8:45. I have NO excuse not to just DO IT. But instead I'll set the alarm, get up, and then immediately think OH HELL NO and sleep for another hour!

I know once I am in the habit it will be so much easier, but I just can't seem to get there yet. Anyone have success going from so-not-a-morning person to hopping out of bed and hitting the pavement???? Tips? Tricks?

I'm trying to ween myself off caffeine, which doesn't help :/

Thanks!

If you use your phone as an alarm try changing the tones to something that makes you want to get up (either irritating.. or motivational)

Set more than 1 alarm

Put your alarm far away from you forcing you to get up and move rather than just roll over & shut it off.

Think about going to the bathroom

I know someone said "just get up" but its true.. you have the ability to roll over so easy you also have the ability to get up quickly.. Just dont think about it. Just get up & go lol.

Go to bed earlier. This helps me tremendously even though Its not common for me to do it lol.

Hope these help. I am up at 3am to go to the gym before I work a 12hr shift so try to think of that next time you think its 'early' lol maybe it will help...
  • audsLDN
    audsLDN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have an app called Life Time Alarm Clock and you can choose from different puzzles to turn your alarm off.

Wakes up the brain a little but apart from that, just like a lot of people said.. You just have to do it!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have always been a "hit snooze 5 times" kind of person and I have been getting up at 4:30 AM to workout since about April. I don't have any real good advice to get yourself into it, you just have to do it. Set the alarm, have the clothes ready to go, no excuses. Once you get into the habit it gets easier.
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I sleep in my gym clothes, and pack my work clothes at night. That way I literally just walk out the door with everything I need, no "morning routine".

Also, my wake up tone is Lets Dance by David Bowie, which I find to be a fun and inspiring way to wake up. :smiley:
  • cherrybombzero
    cherrybombzero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well I'm in the same boat as you! Maybe we should try a "Morning Workout Challenge & Check-In" :)
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Blast "Ride of the Valkyries" by Wagner as your alarm. That's how we used to get up every frick'n morning on the ranch to through hay bales when we were exhausted from the day before.
  • luciasprogress
    luciasprogress Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same! I NEED to do this! I need to make everything as easy as possible--breakfast ready the night before (overnight oats mm), buy more socks and workout clothes so that laundry isn't an excuse, set my alarm, and get up!

If anyone wants to make group or something, or just accountability message friend, add me, I'm down.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Alarm goes off, get out of bed.

This plus go to bed earlier.

Just do it once. Only once. Anyone can do it once.

• ACJP2014
    ACJP2014 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh I so needed this thread I'm just like you. I need to change my evening work out to the morning, otherwise after the work out I just can't get to sleep in time to get up on time for work. Major hassle, but the prospect of waking at 3:45 to go to the gym just doesn't appeal to me. At this stage though my motivation is that I want to go the the gym and can't go at night, so no alternative I'm just going to have to do it.

P.S. I did try earlier in the week for 2 days, but I just like sleep so much.
  • lvbor
    lvbor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Another extreme night owl here. I've made big gains in the overall activity stakes in the last couple of months (yay) but mornings are still very much my Achilles heel, which I'd like to do something about.
    A few people already mentioned joining/creating a group for support & challenges from co-am-sufferers. I couldn't find an existing one along these lines, so I just set one up: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100764-night-owls-getting-more-out-of-mornings

Everyone very welcome.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies and messages! all great advice. I know its something that I just need to DO and once I'm in the habit it will get easier but it will be a big shift from night owl behaviors!

uncluttering my bedroom is a really great idea- I always feel more relaxed when it is clean.

I'm going to start slow with 9:30AM yoga tomorrow (not really early :P ) and then try and go one whole entire work week, M-F with SOME gym time in the morning, even if its just a ten minute run. Anyone who wants to join me in this endeavor shoot me a message!!

you dont have to be at work till 8.45 so you're going to do yoga at 9.30...?

The following day was a sunday! I work M-F.

It has been a while and I just came back to this thread- great suggestions all around. So far I have been able to get up and run 2 miles in the mornings and I LOVE the feeling when I do. I am still not doing it EVERY morning though, and I need to up my mileage oson as a train for a half marathon. So that is the new goal. Morning runners out there feel free to chime in!

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The fact that you have to train for a specific event is probably going to help, you know. I know for my own part, getting my lazy butt up at 5am to hit the pool happens because I am doing a couple of open water swims next summer, and I do not want to embarrass myself by being pulled from the event.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    The fact that you have to train for a specific event is probably going to help, you know. I know for my own part, getting my lazy butt up at 5am to hit the pool happens because I am doing a couple of open water swims next summer, and I do not want to embarrass myself by being pulled from the event.

It really does help! I did the same thing two years ago, although I was able to train in the afternoons then. Hopefully now I can stick with morning runs!! its just so nice not to have to worry about it later in the day!
  • ktcrain
    Options
    Write yourself a note and leave it by your alarm clock. If nighttime you is super psyched about getting up to work out, and morning you isn't, then have nighttime you say something like, "Hi morning me, get your *kitten* out of bed and go run you slacker. You'll feel better, I promise." It sounds crazy, but it really does work.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MalineVD wrote: »
    I have a song that makes me happy, as an alarm.

At the moment, it's Circle Of Life, from The Lion King!

Waking up with "Aaaaaaazebenejaaaaamanimissinamaaaaa" is awesome!

that sounds pretty good.

I actually like having a nice ring to get me up- but I really don't get up in the morning- but this is kind of awesome. LOL
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You can also go to the gym in the evenings

haha true! but the issue for me is by the time I get home after a long day I often lack the energy/ motivation for it, and I am more likely to go if I get into the habit of going in the morning. Also, my ultimate goal is working out in the morning and yoga after work. That has been my regime in the past and it felt great in terms of energy and weight loss. Trying to get back to that now.

girl i know that feeling all too well. i'm definitely in the same boat as you: not morning person enough to get up early and then too tired/lazy after work. my first day wanting to get up at 5:45 AM, i had an angel and devil on my shoulders:

"ugh i'm so tired. what if i just slept in and then worked out after work...?"
    "the gym will probably be too full in the evenings."
    "yeah but what if it's not?"
    "well you know you'll be too lazy to go anyway."
    "what if it's packed in the morning, huh?"
    "uh, seriously? is that a serious question?"
    "but what if i-"
    "OMGJUSTGO!!"

and up i went :) it's gotten easier ever since.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    Hah! thanks for all the continued responses, guys!

I have to get up around 6am EST tomorrow to get a three mile run in before work. If you want to motivate each other add me as a friend!!
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am a night owl. Some people are genetically predisposed this way and you have to FIGHT to get over it. This sounds a bit gross but I used to pack a bag the night before, sleep in my gym clothes, not think and just get up and go in the AM. In the bag was towel, makeup, shower stuff, hair dryer and work clothes. That was the ONLY way I could do it and it was only twice a week. I am never giving up my weekend sleep-ins!
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    DarbiB wrote: »
    I sleep in my gym clothes, and pack my work clothes at night. That way I literally just walk out the door with everything I need, no "morning routine".

Also, my wake up tone is Lets Dance by David Bowie, which I find to be a fun and inspiring way to wake up. :smiley:

This is awesome!!!