Anyone taking Phentermine 37.5?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• neekie88
    Options
    Hello, I am currently on my first day of phentermine 37.5. I am 57 year old female who has tried the diets out there without success. I work as an RN but at an office, sit down job, my friend that I work with recommended this doctor who's expertise is in weight loss. My friend lost 40 lbs in 90 days. Cutting out most carbs, allowed 40 g per day, high protein, tons of water, protein shakes and bars and most important is to eat every 3-4 hours. I am also on Effexor for depression for the last 10 plus years, so I am hoping this will not cause problems with the phentermine. Would like to talk to people who are currently on phentermine and how they are managing with the weight loss or side effects.

• pilornio
    Options
    Hi, I have struggled with my weight since my forties, I am 52 years old, 5, 2". I tried different things, some with great results others not at all, but I always gained it back. I decided to ask my dr about it. After a lot a testing, including thyroid, he prescribed it and I am on it since last Wednesday, not a week yet but I have lost 5 pounds. Before starting it, I viewed a lot of videos from people that took it and had success. Some of them said they only too half a pill and that is what I am doing, and it is working for me. I do not have any side effects, maybe dry mouth but I don't think it is bad cause I drink water all day. When I got them from my doctor he told me that some people take 1/2 pill in the morning and half on the afternoon. I will try 1/2 for one week and see how I do. The dr. also told me to stay at 1200 calories and exercise 5 times a week. The calorie intake is fine for me, I usually stay a few under, not more than 100 and it is hard for me to get to 1200, but I am working on it. Some days I do forget to eat and have to remind myself to eat. That is on half a pill. I have not exercise at all other than a little dancing on Saturday and today doing house cleaning, (I don't do the deep cleaning often). I will let you know how I do my first full week.

I would like to hear from the people that started this thread back in march, I am really curious to see how they are doing.
  • jovannadahling
    jovannadahling Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    judymoving wrote: »
    Cherie,

So you understand, there are a lot of Phen haters on this site. Beware you will get a lot of negative talk about the pill.

I also replied to a previous message two months ago wanting to know if anyone else was taking it. I have found some people who are respectful and understand the benefits. There are benefits! I have been on it since Dec 4 2013. My weight is not "dropping like crazy" as some have stated it did for them. I am not loosing my mind nor my heart either. I have family members who tried it but did not like how it made them feel, and did not continue. It took some adjustment to get used to the effects. It suppresses appetite well. I have also found that I do not crave salt anymore nor add extra to my meals, my dinners are healthier choices and I am able to walk away from larger portions, which I used to finish.

At my recent re-check with my doctor, my blood pressure has dropped already and I am now considered pre-hypertension. These are good things. It has gotten me off the couch, and enjoying my life again. I am swimming 2x per week, and I do more around the house when I get home. I am looking forward to warmer weather (live in Wisconsin) so that I can start walking and doing more outdoors.

One of contributors to the previous message board on the topic assimilated this to a psych drug, which in many ways it is. It is helping us find the right way to do things to form the habit for the future. There are success stories and not everyone gains back the weight. PS: Many people gain back weight after a fast weight loss.. and it has nothing to do with a pill they took.

Use it the right way, the way your doctor recommended, and you should find success too. Feel free to friend me.

Judy from Wisconsin.. the cold, beer, and cheese State!

• jovannadahling
    Options
    For starters it isn't an amphetamine..and it doesn't raise my blood pressure. I was wondering if anyone takes 2 a day?
  • jovannadahling
    Options
    I am. I am one of the few who doesn't get the buzz side effect however it is an awesome appetite suppressant for me. I lost 11lbs in a month with it and myfitnesspal, counting calories. ive been on it since January 6th. I am a pharmacy tech as well. and I noticed in a previous post about the PPA version.... it was the other drug that was mixed with Phentermine that caused all the issues. If you have an addictive personality I would advise not to take it. you also have to watch your caffeine and other stimulant intake. No energy drinks. No alcohol. I cut my pop down to one 16-24 oz bottle a day almost immediately without the withdraw from caffeine and im the one who used to walk around with a 44oz speedway cup 24/7. I am slowly increasing my exercise because I know once I stop the meds that I will want to eat and I want to be able to maintain. Exercising helps naturally build your metabolism up so once you are off the stimulants your body can adjust easier. unless youre like me and don't get the buzz. I was bummed lol I was hoping to clean my house in a day like ive heard some of the patients at work say they did. You also have to watch your states regulations on the medication. Ohio is really strict where Kentucky not as much. I make the almost 2 hour trip to Figure Weight Loss. Its a doctor monitored program and helps keep me in check. Hoping March 3 at my next appt that this month was as successful as last. :) My advice is to do the research and decide if its right for you, and if you decide to try it, monitor yourself and judge how you respond, everyone is different. www.figureweightloss.com
    skullshank wrote: »
    Wow. The people on this website simply amaze me. I usually keep to myself and never post but this thread just annoys me. The OP said "Would love to have some friends that are also taking the Phentermine." I didnt see anything in her post about asking for anyone's opinion no matter how "helpful" you think you were.

I started taking Phentermine on Feb 4th and so far its been perfect. No terrible effects at all. I've been able to gain control of my previous out of control behaviors. I expect to take it for about 2 more months and then come off of it. By that time, I'll have picked up some better eating and exercise habits. And no, I don't care about your experiences and no it's not your business if I "gain it all back".

so it's been perfect for you for *does difficults maths*...

15 days.

awesome.

i'm sure it will remain perfect forever. :flowerforyou:

• jovannadahling
    Options
    I really like the phentermine but I need to take it with topamax or I still do the compulsive eating. Does anyone do 11/2 or 2 a day. I only want positive answers here as I have good blood pressure feel great and am not ready to go to the emergency room. And sleep. Thanks
  • jovannadahling
    Options
    mlittle71 wrote: »
    Wow. The people on this website simply amaze me. I usually keep to myself and never post but this thread just annoys me. The OP said "Would love to have some friends that are also taking the Phentermine." I didnt see anything in her post about asking for anyone's opinion no matter how "helpful" you think you were.

I started taking Phentermine on Feb 4th and so far its been perfect. No terrible effects at all. I've been able to gain control of my previous out of control behaviors. I expect to take it for about 2 more months and then come off of it. By that time, I'll have picked up some better eating and exercise habits. And no, I don't care about your experiences and no it's not your business if I "gain it all back".

• jovannadahling
    Options
    I also like the phentermine..need it..plan on using it for a couple months or more and am using it with topamax. It doesn't raise my blood pressure and it isn't an amphetamine. But I did take it without dieting and it didn't help so now I am trying to watch what I eat and drink a lot of water and eat less. I've lost 3 lbs this week. I am going to implement walking and blogging. Hth.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For starters it isn't an amphetamine..and it doesn't raise my blood pressure. I was wondering if anyone takes 2 a day?

It's legal speed.
    Also, I hope you aren't messing with the dose unless you are under doctor supervision.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I really like the phentermine but I need to take it with topamax or I still do the compulsive eating. Does anyone do 11/2 or 2 a day. I only want positive answers here as I have good blood pressure feel great and am not ready to go to the emergency room. And sleep. Thanks

Alright, I throwing my hat in here. This isn't going to be a bashing answer by any stretch of the imagination but a weigh things out carefully. I take 75mgs of Phentermine a day. I take one 37.5 pill when I wake up, and one late in the evening. WHY I take this, is what will blow your mind. I don't take them for weight loss. Never did. I started taking them back in August of this year after my friends kept RAVING about how much energy they had from taking Phentermine! That they were going to the track, gym, lake, and doing this, that and the other, and losing all this weight! Well, I'd already lost over 170lbs on my own, but my energy levels were *kitten*.

I thought, I'll give this a try for maybe a month or so, just to get a little energy boost in with my workouts, because I wasn't having any problems with eating/weight loss.

Yeah, when I first started taking it, I was WIRED. I was at the track burning it up! I had tons of energy to do things with my daughter and felt great! But after a few weeks, I noticed something even more wonderful, that I never in a million years expected from it. When I started to lose my energy, I was disappointed, but what was replaced, was a calm. I was able to go to bed at night, and sleep without my brain constantly racing. I could focus on things without having the constantly troubling thoughts I'd always had. My mind was clear. And, after 23 years, I quit smoking. I was sitting on the porch one night, and halfway through a cigarette, looked at it and said, "this doesn't taste good any more, and I don't want it." I threw it out. I quit smoking that night and haven't looked back. I LOVED cigarettes.

My FNP told me it's because Phentermine works on a part of the brain in people like me, who are struggling with (take your pick of the host of mental illnesses), and instead of hyping us up, it calms us down. Eventually, I'll end up switching to something similar like Adderall.

My blood pressure is perfect, even with taking two pills a day.

I take Topamax as well. I've been on it for five years. I do NOT take this at the same time I take Phentermine. I take it before bed. I'm on 100mgs of Topamax. I was originally diagnosed Topamax for PTSD. At that time, my flashbacks were so strong and intense, that regular anxiety medications weren't cutting it. Even at the highest dosages, they wouldn't stop the flashbacks and panic attacks. Which is, where I'm just giving caution, here. Topamax is an antiseizure medication. So, it works by calming the brain. That's the only thing they could put me on to stop the flashbacks. It was SO strong that I would take it, and sit virtually comatose, yet, fully awake, because my brain was *that* calm.

Eventually, I built up a tolerance to it, but it's a hell of a drug. The reason I've been kept on it to this day, is the noticeable decrease in the frequency of migraines I have. I *still* unfortunately will get a doozie migraine here or there, but they're not nearly as bad as they were before Topamax. I do know this much. with Topamax, do NOT stop taking it cold turkey. This is a drug you HAVE to be weaned off of. Even if you've never had a seizure in your life, stopping this cold turkey can trigger a seizure. I make sure I take mine faithfully, every night.

Now, I will tell you, I can take a Phentermine, and 30 minutes/hour later, go right to bed and take a nap. BUT, I also realize that it may affect my body/brain differently than most/greater majority who take this medication. I take it with Effexor XR.