The Alternate Day Diet.

Options

Replies

• LilyOfTheValley008
    Options
    Still don't understand why people would subject themselves to intermittent fasting instead of a consistent calorie deficit.
    I don't have any experience with the IF method myself, but it definitely seems like a diet which could easily spiral someone out of control and lead to binges. But if you'd like to give it a go, it's your decision end of the day
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Still don't understand why people would subject themselves to intermittent fasting instead of a consistent calorie deficit.
    I don't have any experience with the IF method myself, but it definitely seems like a diet which could easily spiral someone out of control and lead to binges. But if you'd like to give it a go, it's your decision end of the day

I did it for about six months …16;8 fast sixteen hours, eat for eight hours. It taught me a lot about knowing when I am really hungry and controlling hunger. Plus I can eat a crap ton of food in one sitting, so it was fun to crush 2500 calorie dinner... However, I found that it was hard for me to fit into my lifestyle, so I went back to eating four times a day...
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you think that works for you and you won't binge, try it. That said, I don't know how someone that small can lose 10 pounds in that time unless you drink a lot of soda/sodium and are going cold turkey in addition to this diet.

Good luck!

wait, what???
    I agree that losing 10LBS in a SHORT amount of time is absurdly hard, but... what about soda/sodium? what?

*if she consumes a lot now and goes cold turkey so she loses that water weight

• ndj1979
    Options
    If you think that works for you and you won't binge, try it. That said, I don't know how someone that small can lose 10 pounds in that time unless you drink a lot of soda/sodium and are going cold turkey in addition to this diet.

Good luck!

wait, what???
    I agree that losing 10LBS in a SHORT amount of time is absurdly hard, but... what about soda/sodium? what?

*if she consumes a lot now and goes cold turkey so she loses that water weight

that is not really weight loss….water weight loss does not equal fat loss …just stop, seriously.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I am aware that is not fat loss. I do know that it nudges the scale, which is what OP is asking for. It's not going to be 10 pounds, but it's there.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It does seem that way but it's been fairly well studied and people doing ADF and not restricting on their 'feast days' tend to eat about 110% of their maintenance calories and that's all they want. So they don't binge. They also don't find the modified fast days difficult after an initial adjustment period. So it's like only dieting every other day.

I also find it helped me reacquaint myself with true hunger and fullness sensations and to be more sensitive to portion size and food choices overall.

There are also valid health reasons for choosing it over a stable daily deficit. Studies have found it preserves more lean mass than daily dieting and leads to improvements in overall health. There is evidence that it can help prevent diabetes, dementia, cardiovascular disease and cancer.

They do recommend you not try it if you have a history of eating disorders.

• ndj1979
    Options
    I am aware that is not fat loss. I do know that it nudges the scale, which is what OP is asking for. It's not going to be 10 pounds, but it's there.

OP wants to lose ten pounds of fat, not ten pounds of water weight….

what is the point of losing ten pounds of water weight, if you just gain it back the next week?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

There are also valid health reasons for choosing it over a stable daily deficit. Studies have found it preserves more lean mass than daily dieting and leads to improvements in overall health. There is evidence that it can help prevent diabetes, dementia, cardiovascular disease and cancer.
    Citations for peer reviewed studies, please.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

The books listed above cite the studies. Or do a google search on 'varady and modified fasting'. Mosley's or Johnson's web sites might have some info, Mosley's BBC special probably does, too. Or read up on CRON or longevity and fasting.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Brad Pilon (Eat Stop Eat), Dr Krista Varady (Every Other Day Diet) and Dr Johnson (UpDayDownDay) all think ADF is a good idea but prepare yourself for a s--- storm of comments from people who freak out at the thought of alternate day fasting or any fasting at all!

Personally I did the 5:2 version of intermittent fasting (Dr Michael Mosley - The Fast Diet) when I lost weight and am successfully maintaining on a 6:1 eating pattern, one day a week at 600 cals, 6 days at a slight surplus.

Suggest you do plenty of research and rather than try to design your own plan follow one that has been properly designed and trialled.

My concern would be you wanting to lose 10lbs so rapidly, unlikely to be a good idea. Much better IMHO to lose the last 10lbs slowly.

^^this^^ OP this poster has had success with this method; grab one or all 3 books and yes do the research. And since I'm a turtle, remember, slow and steady wins the race ;)

I've always loved your moniker!

awww shucks...thanks ma'am. Slow weight loss = long term potential success. Slow runners AKA 'The Hobblers Club". The Hobblers Club mantra- "Go out slow and room to grow, go out fast and you can't last".

• SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

The books listed above cite the studies. Or do a google search on 'varady and modified fasting'. Mosley's or Johnson's web sites might have some info, Mosley's BBC special probably does, too. Or read up on CRON or longevity and fasting.
    No. With all due respect, you are making certain claims that IF has effects on lean muscle mass and prevents diabetes and other diseases, therefore the onus is on you to provide peer linked reviews showing same. :)
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    There's not much onus on me with several books by authorities written on it and the studies easily found.

I'm not suggesting any and all should do it, unlike the "just calorie restrict daily" crowd. I just answered the question, "Why would anyone try it?" Some do it for the evidence of other health benefits.

Reading books is valuable but if one prefers internet as their sole source of info, Eat Stop Eat or Leangains probably has good info on the LBM effects.

• SLLRunner
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There's not much onus on me with several books by authorities written on it and the studies easily found.

I'm not suggesting any and all should do it, unlike the "just calorie restrict daily" crowd. I just answered the question, "Why would anyone try it?" Some do it for the evidence of other health benefits.

Reading books is valuable but if one prefers internet as their sole source of info, Eat Stop Eat or Leangains probably has good info on the LBM effects.
    Mmmmmm......

With all due respect, I'm not going to go searching for my own sources because I did not make certain claims. You, on the other hand, are saying that intermittent fasting prevents cancer and other diseases and preserves lean muscle mass, implying that IF is somehow superior to other dietary methods.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

If they are easily found, why don't you just go easily find them and post the links? Clearly if you cannot do this then the references you are speaking of either a) don't exist or b) are not adequate (not peer-reviewed, biased research paid for by companies, really poor experimental measures used, etc)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I wish one of these posts would be past tense, like "I wanted to lose 10 pounds in 30 days, did IF using method X and did it". Instead we get wishful thinking before the OP even starts.

On a side note, I'd say we all IF to a degree unless we eat in our sleep. Stretching the "fasting" part to 16 hours wouldn't take much if you slept in or didn't eat breakfast, then went to bed early. So stretching it a bit more might be doable too. IDK.

Also, if you just look at your calorie deficit on a weekly basis I suppose you could pretty much eat the total amount of calories whenever you want, *if* you could actually do it.

The hardest part of the OP's hope/desire is the amount though, isn't it, considering how little she has to lose? But those folks on the TV show Survivor often do it even if they are slim to begin with. Starve on an island by just eating a bit of rice for 30 days. Likely they gain it all back afterwards, or at least some, especially if they didn't want to lose. That first guy, Rich whats-his-name, kept it off for a while at least. Wonder he's doing now?

55835802.png
  • ana3067
    Options
    BTW, because WalkingAlong wasn't willing to post the specific references she is pulling her information from, I just searched "intermittent fasting cancer" in my university's library database. Here are some results from the first page only (some of the links on that page did not pertain to this topic at all so they are of course omitted)

"Effect of intermittent fasting on prostate cancer tumor growth in a mouse model."
    Prostate Cancer And Prostatic Diseases [Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis] 2010 Dec; Vol. 13 (4), pp. 350-5. Date of Electronic Publication: 2010 Aug 24.
    Part of abstract: Mice were randomized to either ad libitum Western Diet (44% carbohydrates, 40% fat and 16% protein) or ad libitum Western Diet with twice-weekly 24 h fasts (IF)...Overall, there was no difference in mouse survival (P=0.37) or tumor volumes (P ≥ 0.10) between groups. Mouse body weights were similar between arms (P=0.84). IF mice had significantly higher serum IGF-1 levels and IGF-1/IGFBP-3 ratios at killing (P<0.001). However, no difference was observed in serum insulin, IGFBP-3 or tumor phospho-Akt levels (P ≥ 0.39). IF did not improve mouse survival nor did it delay prostate tumor growth
    So this was mice, they've yet to do this with humans because, you know, ethics and all with killing off the mice and injecting cancer cells. They also did not mention anything about eating at maintenance or below it, since I'm sure this was not a concern for this particular study.

"Annual Fasting; the Early Calories Restriction for Cancer Prevention."
    BioImpacts. Dec2012, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p213-215. 3p.
    this one did not provide a good abstract. no mention of methods, hypothesis, or results/conclusions. It is legitimately 2 pages long, but I don't have time to read that as I have other assignmnets to work on. And there was no study in this article actually, no experiment.

"Effect of Intermittent Fasting With or Without Caloric Restriction on Prostate Cancer Growth and Survival in SCID Mice"
    PROSTATE; JUL 1, 2010, 70 10, p1037-p1043, 7p.
    METHODS. We conducted a pilot study by injecting 105 male individually-housed SCID mice with LAPC-4 cells. When tumors reached 200 mm(3), 15 mice/group were randomized to one of seven diets and sacrificed when tumors reached 1,500 mm(3): Group 1: ad libitum 7 days/week; Group 2: fasted 1 day/week and ad libitum 6 days/week; Group 3: fasted 1 day/week and fed 6 days/week via paired feeding to maintain isocaloric conditions to Group 1; Group 4: 14% CR 7 days/week; Group 5: fasted 2 days/week and ad libitum 5 days/week; Group 6: fasted 2 day/week and fed 5 days/week via paired feeding to maintain isocaloric conditions to Group 1; Group 7: 28% CR 7 days/week. Sera from mice at sacrifice were analyzed for IGF-axis hormones.
    RESULTS. There were no significant differences in survival among any groups. However, relative to Group 1, there were non-significant trends for improved survival for Groups 3 (HR 0.65, P = 0.26), 5 (0.60, P = 0.18), 6 (HR 0.59, P = 0.16), and 7 (P = 0.59, P = 0.17). Relative to Group 1, body weights and IGF-1 levels were significantly lower in Groups 6 and 7.
    CONCLUSIONS. This exploratory study found non-significant trends toward improved survival with some intermittent fasting regimens, in the absence of weight loss. Larger appropriately powered studies to detect modest, but clinically important differences are necessary to confirm these findings.

• WalkingAlong
    Options
    Here is a link to the google scholar results for 'varady and modified fasting'.

Though now you will scan the abstracts only and say, "She didn't study lbm or dementia! She used poor methods because she studied SAMPLES!" Others have studied other aspects. No, I don't have their names memorized and don't need to for them to exist.

The books on it were written by two MDs and a PhD in nutrition who teaches at a major university. They're not just making stuff up but I'm not going to dig out the books and re-type their bibliographies to help you try to debunk an entire field of study because it's not the diet that appeals to you personally.
  • ana3067
    Options
    And more

Weight Cycling and Cancer: Weighing the Evidence of Intermittent Caloric Restriction and Cancer Risk
    CANCER PREVENTION RESEARCH; NOV, 2011, 4 11, p1736-p1742, 7p.
    An effect of either intermittent caloric restriction or fasting in protecting against cancer is not supported by the majority of rodent carcinogenesis experiments. Collectively, the data argue against weight cycling and indicate that the objective of energy balance-based approaches to reduce cancer risk should be to strive to prevent adult weight gain and maintain body weight within the normal range defined by body mass index.

Intermittent Fasting in Diabetic Patients. (English)
    Journal of Korean Diabetes; 2013, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p163-165, 3p
    This one might not be in English for the article though
    Preliminary findings indicate that intermittent fasting may be associated with increased lifespan, decreased mortality from cancers and cardiovascular diseases, improved insulin sensitivity, and reduced oxidative stress and inflammation. However, some of the data still remain controversial. No human studies have examined the effects of intermittent fasting in diabetics. Studies examining intermittent fasting in diabetic patients have encountered problems with compliance, malnutrition, and hypoglycemia rather than seeing benefits of weight loss. Regular meals (at least three meals each day) and a balanced diet are crucial in the management of blood sugar levels in diabetic patients.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Here is a link to the google scholar results for 'varady and modified fasting'.

Though now you will scan the abstracts only and say, "She didn't study lbm or dementia! She used poor methods because she studied SAMPLES!" Others have studied other aspects. No, I don't have their names memorized and don't need to for them to exist.

The books on it were written by two MDs and a PhD in nutrition who teaches at a major university. They're not just making stuff up but I'm not going to dig out the books and re-type their bibliographies to help you try to debunk an entire field of study because it's not the diet that appeals to you personally.

anna already beat you to it and appears that the IF prevents cancer assertion is bunk...