WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Oh, no! The Joplin newspaper is coming to my studio tomorrow to take pictures for a story about our pottery group! They want one of me throwing on the wheel. I'm terrified! I don't know why I even agreed to this. For many, many years I refused to have a picture taken, much less put it in the paper. I'm a little less self conscious now than I was then, but still. This is a huge deal in my book. So, if you can spare one, hold a good thought for me in the morning.

My son had a talk with his apartment manager and they said his wife's lease is up in December and it won't be renewed, so she will have to move. They had tried to get her to move to an apartment on another floor, but she refused. It'll be better if she's out of the building completely.

I bought a box for DGD to take to Girl Scouts tonight, like it said on the schedule, but we were the only ones who showed up with a box. Apparently the plans had changed and nobody told us. They said, well it's posted to facebook. Of course I'm a dinosaur, so I don't do facebook. Oh well, it didn't cost much, and she had a good time at the meeting. Then grandpa met us at Pizza Hut afterward. I think it's hilarious that their new menu has a "healthier" pizza - but it only comes in large! The waitress explained that they take the crust and toppings that normally would have been on a medium pizza and stretch it out to fit a large, so it's less calories than a normal large. But it's still a large pizza! If I didn't want a medium because it has too many calories, why would I want a large with the same number of calories? We don't go there often, but when we do I get a personal size pizza with a thin crust, then eat half and give the rest to hubby. Still not great on calories and salt, but much less than their new healthy pizza.

Well, I have to finish some laundry and get to bed. Good night!

Happy birthday Margaret!

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    :D Our trip to the cardiologist in Seattle was a bit tiring but successful. Jake continues to do OK and his heart problems are no worse. The doctor kept us for a few extra hours awaiting blood test results to be sure the new medication was working and doing no harm. The results were good and allowed us to go to lunch at the Asian restaurant we like. The dogs liked the new dog walker. Thanks to getting up early to walk the dogs, walking on the ferry, and walking from the clinic to the ferry, I got more than the 18,000 steps I aim for each day.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

146200.png
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Back home after shopping and all stuff put away.
    Meals logged at 1718 cals for the day.
    Told to cut out the muesli from breakfast and have the fruit on its own, too many carbs
    Going to see dietitian tomorrow and have a chat. Have printed my meals and exercise sheets for the past week to show her.
    Have also signed up for Jeannette Jenkins website to keep me more honest. I have her cook book and her DVDs
    Doggy seems much better after a sleep this afternoon, phew
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Margaret! Sorry I missed it.

Sylvia take a deep breath and relish in the fact of your weight loss and you LOOK GOOD! Have fun with it.

Welcome to the lady from Austria. I am terrible at names.

I don't think I have many happy memories of past boyfriends. I was a social butterfly and in many ways am still one. Had no boyfriend in high school except a brief time with the guy who is now married to my sister. had a disaterous blind date to my Junior prom. After high school went to work at a Southern Baptist camp/educational retreat in North Carolina. There was an equally social butterfly there and everyone enjoyed watching our love for each other bloom. But at the end of the summer it was over. In my freshman year of nursing school some one hooked me up with another blind date and we dated for a long time, actually became engaged. I got a little frustrated when he would never take me home to meet his parents. In my family that was just a thing we did. Both families would merge as much as possible so that they could enjoy holidays or at least occasional activities. But no, he never took me. Then I found out he was seeing a barely of legal age at home and they would spend each weekend in a hotel. Since I was a virgin and planned on staying that way until marriage he went and got it elsewhere. So that was the end of it for me. But I could have been the only daughter in law of a wealthy Italian family in southern Illinois who owned a big steak place. So it wasn't until I met Charlie that I had a serious relationship.

I think we might be in serious trouble here. What with the verdict in Ferguson, Mo, Charlie has been glued to Fox news. I do believe in the American public to have the right to own guns but I believer certain possibilities should not have one. Charlie many times acts before he thinks. Even though he says he is not a racist just because he has taken the ime to get to know 2 black men and they were good guys, he generally has a great mistrust in them. But he want's to buy a pretty good size gun. But with all the Fox news he has watched straight tonight for a good many hours he has already decided on his opinion of the,. I just hope this doesn't affect his relationship with Michelle's new boyfriend.

Kind of down in the dumps all day today, Joyce Indiana
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good morning everyone! All the lovely welcomes brought a huge smile to my face. Fabulous way to start the day! :D

This site is fabulous, while at the same time so funky. l'm getting a little ahead of myself. When l originally lost my weight l did it at another site. I came here the first time because a friend of mine was here and she was lonely. lol This was back in 08 when all that was left for me to reach maintenance was 13 lbs. She eventually fell off the wagon and l went back to where l was comfortable finishing off the losing phase of this life with style.

Fast forward, for my 50th my techie god husband had bought me a JawboneUP24 wristband. It's this nifty hand-dandy that monitors your steps, your sleep, and syncs with MFP. So I came back. Started transferring my recipes, adding our normal nibbles, put in my new start weight, and lurking in a group to get to know some people...You know setting myself up for success. ;)

I gained a lot of weight these past 2.5-3yrs about 80lbs... thank god l'm cute! lol Anyways l told Alex that l want to get out of that bed lighter than l went in this time. Gave all my friends and family the evil eye telling them in no uncertain terms if they were going to visit and felt they HAD to bring something, please no desserts. And they did pretty darned good comparatively speaking. l only gained 4 lbs in 5 weeks. ( l decided to chalk 2 of those pounds up to medications because l love my friends and family. ;) lol )

So here's where the funnies of this site came up and kicked me in the head this morning. As of today i lost those 4 lbs!! WOOT! So l go to plug in my happy and what did l learn... That you can't change your start weight! So l have to lose 66 pounds before the site will start giving me kudo's! :o So l am counting on you and you, and you, you you you to cheer me as whittle away the weight. :D

l had also found through happenstance ( Hubby wanted to know how make something. )that they aren't storing the directions on how to cook my recipes. l just find that so odd on weight loss site. So l guess l will continue to be a 2 site gal. Chittering and cheering here and cooking from over there. lol

And since you all love pictures so much here is my walking buddy Bosko. A 12 yr old handsome mutt. chow chow, husky, german shepard.

Sassy aus Steyr Austria!
    If you want it, You'll find a way. If you don't, You'll find an excuse.
    i5azg3kx50yd.jpg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    im up and staggering...had a cup of tea and will get dressed for work in a bit..
    didnt sleep well, and i am taking keflex for a possible UTI , thank goodness it is only for 5 days cause that can be a doozie
    no word on DFIL they havent gotten his culture back for UTI... i am hoping that is what it is and it can be rectified..
    working a 10 hr day today
  • carolbrady1
    carolbrady1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm a 52 year old Brit who has a terribly sweet tooth but a strong desire to get fitter and healthier! Hope we can share strength and resolution together.
  • carolbrady1
    carolbrady1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    [Kataniki..........I'm with you about not getting drawn in to others drama; my DD (22 now) (and her friends) has been known to exaggerate circumstances and events somewhat. Every situation is different, but usually I found refusing to participate in the outrage and anger about the unfairness of life (or whatever event), etc. by listening only for a limited amt. of time, speaking slowly and calmly and asking how they were going to eventually deal with it to be effective to take the air out of their drama queen posturing many times. I have been known to say: " We are resolving nothing. This conversation is terminated for the time being." to my DD and turn and walk away. I found that often the more she spoke the more she fed off the story and got more wound up.

I really relate to this, I have a friend who is just like that!! I keep telling her it's 'tough love' by not pandering. Still not sure she really takes that in, but it helps to know thatoit's her drama, and not mine.
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :) Hi Ladies, has been awhile, I have been away helping my sister she has had a few medical issues and needs help. Her internet is not to good but I have been keeping up with you all when possible.
    So many things happening so I will just say prayers to those in need and new babies congrats Meg
    welcome to all our new friends, great group of ladies here.
    love to here of all the traveling as like many others I will never get to do any.
    all our nurses out there my hats off to you dont think I would have lasted a week in the profession, takes a special person, not me no patience here, and sick people are cranky oh I forgot its my sister im dealing with she is always cranky lol
    I have lost inches and styayed the same weight wise which is still up from where I started. Maybe in the new year I can focus on me more....
    Happy Thanksgiving to our us family, hopefully no more weather woes buffalo
    started snowing here and we are to get about 6 inches today nothing really
    well have to go get ready I am only home for a short while to catch up here, then back to my sisters
    she is supposed to be out of bed in a few weeks yes please......
    Take care everyone
    juanita in sudbury canada

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sassy, could you delete your account and start over with a new screen name and weight? Maybe you could be sweetandsassified or sweetandsassy or something very similar so that we would still recognize you.

Although I think you can change your start weight. I did it once. I just don't remember how. I'll bet if you click on the help button and email support, they will help you. They've been corresponding with me about my inability to participate in the message board using Chrome on my computer. They haven't fixed my problem, but they keep assuring me they are working on it. They're very nice.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    176kqd9fx9kk.jpg

Here are "the girls" yesterday, sitting in the sunshine outside the fishing museum, eating our shellfish. In the background is Brighton Pier.
    It was a good trip, but one of my friends does go on a bit. Her favourite subject at the moment is all the houses she is buying and furnishing. Tries my patience no end. :sad:
    I am glad to be home and sitting in companionable silence with my DH. :laugh: I feel very tired so will no doubt have a nap this afternoon. Luckily my early morning starving blood test has been cancelled for tomorrow. :smile:
    I really ought to get on my machines and expend a few calories that I can eat this evening. I've used up most of my 1200 already.

Juanita - nice to see you!

Margaret - I think I forgot to wish you Happy Birthday, so, belatedly, I am. :flowerforyou: Hope you had a good day.

Heather, glad to be back in drizzly Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    So here's where the funnies of this site came up and kicked me in the head this morning. As of today i lost those 4 lbs!! WOOT! So l go to plug in my happy and what did l learn... That you can't change your start weight! So l have to lose 66 pounds before the site will start giving me kudo's! :o So l am counting on you and you, and you, you you you to cheer me as whittle away the weight. :D

If you go to Check in, then click edit previous entries you can change your start weight.

Diana in Indiana
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Well, the newspaper lady just left. Boy am I glad that is over. She seemed very nice, but I'll have to wait to see the Sunday paper to see how nice her camera was. She also took a short video which she hopes to post on the paper's web site.

This morning the kids were awfully quiet. Not sure why. Normally they all talk at once. I think I like it better that way.

Sassy, I love Bosco! He's beautiful! You can really see the Chow Chow in him. I think I agree with Katie. You should start a new account to show the new start weight. It would be depressing not to see any loss till you get down 66 pounds!

Heather, thanks for the picture. I love how happy you always look in your photos. Doesn't all that smiling make your face hurt? Maybe I will try it myself and see.

Two nights ago Bruno jumped up while I was bending over and hit me square in the nose. Boy, did it hurt, but my nose didn't bleed, so I figured all was good. The next morning I woke up and my nose was swollen quite a bit. I could tell but hubby (who is oblivious to most things) couldn't tell. I think most of the swelling is on the inside because one nostril is just about closed off. So, this morning (two days later) I woke up to black eyes. Not like I had been in a bar fight or anything - just darker circles than normal. It's a good thing Bruno is so adorable.

Welcome CarolBrady1 !!! Is that your real name? Sweets aren't too big a problem for me to resist, but starchy foods - that's my Achilles heel. Bread and potatoes have made me what I am today.

Well, I have drafting to do, so I'd better get busy. Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm barely keeping my head above water right now. We are running around like crazy people. No time to cook. No time to shop. I've just got to say no to something to get myself caught up.

Last night Hubs was getting the Christmas stuff out of the attic and the ladder broke while he was on it. Since his hands were full he fell flat on his back on the hard cement garage floor. Hit his head, hip, both elbows and shoulder. Took him to the ER and they want us to go to the Ortho doctor today to have him look at his shoulder further. They see a possible fracture on the scapula (shoulder blade). Right arm so he is worried this is the end to his hunting season since that is what he uses to pull back his bow string. Not a happy guy. On pain killer and a sling for now until we can get to the Ortho.

Thankful he wasn't hurt worse.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    nice and rainy ride to the gym this morning.. thank goodness for the rain gear, it's doing it's job in keeping me dry. my co-workers think i'm nuts.

sassy- I got you beat my one, hahaha.... marriage.. I am on #4. #1 was a wife-beater, #2 was my drug phase, I stopped, he didn't, #3, he died way too soon and too young (34) and I have been sent an angel w/#4.

have a good one ladies
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Well another day. Weigh in this morning was bad. I need to get my head back on track. A new day and going to take it one minute at a time. I am only working till noon today. Strange hours at work this week. I am off Thursday and we are going to our DD's in Hebron. One of the DS's and his family will be there also so looking forward to a nice day. Sounds like the rest of the week temps are to be in the 40's and 50's. Hoping to get Christmas stuff up outside this weekend. Can't believe Christmas is only a month from today. Where does the time go??

Lesley--when our dog got sick and got blood on the carpet, DH put milk on it and dabed with towel and it came out, even some that was old. Said he read it somewhere and it worked. Hope dear puppy is feeling better.

Toni--congrates on the 2.8 loss.

Sylvia--sending good thoughts for today and the newpaper. I am sure you will do ok and I think it's great they want to do a story. Sounds like the girl scouts leader needs to learn not all people have facebook. Glad DGD is having fun with the girl scouts.

Barbie--Glad to hear Jake got good news at the doctor. I am hoping to take my dogs for a long walk this afternoon since I am off at noon and the temps are to be in the mid to high 40's. Yesterday when DH got home from work the dogs had pulled the blanket off the back of the sofa and chewed several holes in it. Not sure what that is about as they have never done something like that before. Oscar has gone after my flip flops acouple time so DH thinks he is the one. I agree just not sure what to do about it.

Joyce--Prayers and Hugs. There are good and bad in all races and judging all because of one is not good.

Sassy--Bosko looks like a good walking buddie.

Juanita--good to hear from you. Prayers and hugs for you and DS. Thank you for taking care of your sister, she is lucky.

Heather--Thanks again for sharing, looks like everyone is having fun.

My co-worker just called and she can not get here until 2 so will work acouple more hours and then get off at noon on Friday.

dstirratt--WOW!! glad he didn't get hurt worse.

Time to get something done. Hope you have a spiecal day.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.
    DH and I agree on what we would like to do in the bathroom so now it is time to price it all out and then get it done. The scorch mark and melted counter are a shocking reminder every day of how things could have gone so wrong. My coping skills are so much better than they were a month ago so I am glad I have been working on that.

I hope you all are well.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter in the rainy PNW
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi, all,

Warm and rainy here with a plunge in temps coming. I am serving our Thanksgiving meal tonight as tomorrow is prep day for our clubs huge Thanksgiving Day 10K. T-Day I'll be up and out by 6am. DD has been running in the turkey day 10K since she was 11 w/o missng a year so this is our normal holiday routine. This year I am thankful for my health, the life I can lead, and that my back has stopped hurting (thanks to a manipulation done by my yoga instructor) and the result that I'm sleeping much better. I'm also extremely thankful to have DD living at home, although I know this is temporary at 22.

Heather.......Thanks for posting the pic of you with your friends........I love going on your trips with you!!!

Lesley.......Glad Mildred seems to be OK. BYW....I had an aunt with that name!

Vicki.......Lockdown? How awful for those picking up kids......glad the kids didn't realize..

Beth.......Sterling silver earngs under 3.00?? Score.......high 5 4 u!!!!

Toni.......Congrats on your loss.

Sylvia........You are a star.........but we already knew that!!! LOL on the pizza. It's not too unusual for black eyes to follow a bad nose bump, but you just might have a broken nose???

Barbie......Glad Jake's appt. went so well.

Sassy..........Fabulous dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carolbrady1.......Welcome; that was me you were quoting.......you must be reading from weeks ago........join in anytime

Juanita.........Great to "see" you.........hang in there with your sis.........

dstirratt.......Hope nothing is broken for your DH; nothing like an ER visit to add to the holiday chaos!!!

Gotta run and get meal prep started!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the silly question, but is this a group? If not, how can I leave? I can't find a "leave group" button like I can for other groups, so I suspect this is some other kind of thing. thanks
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Team Kiki.......this is an ongoing thread, not a group.......I'm not a techie by any means, but to leave, I imagine you just stop clicking on it and reading it.