Cauliflower anyone?

Options
AskTracyAnnK28
AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
edited November 2014 in Recipes
I'm liking cauliflower lately, but getting kinda tired of just steaming it and just throwing on some ICBINB Light. Sometimes I go a little nutty and add some parmesian cheese but...

Anyone know of any healthy, low-cal cauliflower recipes?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Cauliflower*

Cauliflower gets a lot of hate on this board, but it's my favorite veggie. I like to coat in a light coat of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and put in the oven
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    apologies for the spelling...
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Cauliflower*

Cauliflower gets a lot of hate on this board, but it's my favorite veggie. I like to coat in a light coat of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and put in the oven

Thanks...any subsitutions for olive oil? I've been avoiding it since it has so many calories :(
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Roasted with olive oil and garlic salt.

(it only gets hate when it people try to make it into food it isn't, like pizza crust or cookies)
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I like to slice it thinly and add it raw to coleslaw.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower*

Thanks...any subsitutions for olive oil? I've been avoiding it since it has so many calories :(

I guess you could do some other oil, but olive oil is too good to try to replace.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower*

I guess you could do some other oil, but olive oil is too good to try to replace.

Plus, no matter what oil you use, it all has the same calories. There is no low cal oil....the amount of calories you use is only controlled by the amount of oil you use.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower*

This is my favorite way to eat it! Broccoli and asparagus is great cooked this way too.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have developed a love for different kinds of Dukkah lately, and sprinking some over cauli before roasting is good. I go through at least 2 heads of cauliflower a week! Roasted, steamed, mashed with some light laughing cow cheese...

It sucks up flavour really well, so you can sprinkle it with herbs or seasonings to match your meal.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower*

Butter :smile: Just use the spray olive oil or get an oil spritzer -- you don't need to slop it on with a brush. For example, http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/09/oven-roasted-cauliflower.html . I'll second the recommendation for roasted -- very tasty. Even better if you roast some parsnips with them.

If you steam it fairly well and then mash, they can be used like mashed potatoes (but a quite different flavor), or just mixed in as a thickener in things.

If you like Indian cooking, lots of Indian recipes work well with cauliflower. For example: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/10/indian-spiced-cauliflower-and-potato.html

(Sorry if I come across as a shill for skinnytaste, but I love low-cal recipes that don't taste like diet food)
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I sometimes just blast it with a quick spray of cooking spray (so fine mist of oil) and add salt and pepper. I like it slightly carmelized to a golden brown, so the oil is necessary. I've also wanted to try this roast cauliflower recipe - http://www.purewow.com/entry_detail/recipe/8821/Forget-florets--roast-the-whole-damn-cauliflower.htm
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yes! Roasted with a touch of oil and salt is amazing.

I also like it raw dipped in hummus. I toss it in my salads. I'm a big fan of making Indian(ish) food so cooking it up with some chicken, chick peas, tomatoes, onion, garlic, turmeric, cumin, cardamom, coriander, and ginger (or just tossing in Curry powder instead) and serving over rice is fantastic. Stir fry with other fresh veggies and tossing on some light soy sauce and garlic powder and ginger mixed with chicken and rice. so good.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Cauliflower*

Butter :smile: Just use the spray olive oil or get an oil spritzer -- you don't need to slop it on with a brush. For example, http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/09/oven-roasted-cauliflower.html . I'll second the recommendation for roasted -- very tasty. Even better if you roast some parsnips with them.

If you steam it fairly well and then mash, they can be used like mashed potatoes (but a quite different flavor), or just mixed in as a thickener in things.

If you like Indian cooking, lots of Indian recipes work well with cauliflower. For example: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/10/indian-spiced-cauliflower-and-potato.html

(Sorry if I come across as a shill for skinnytaste, but I love low-cal recipes that don't taste like diet food)

There's still calories in the oil spray.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    If you want to skip the oil, just steam it. The sprinkle on your seasonings. It's not quite as good as baked with olive oil, but it's still tasty!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    I have developed a love for different kinds of Dukkah lately, and sprinking some over cauli before roasting is good. I go through at least 2 heads of cauliflower a week! Roasted, steamed, mashed with some light laughing cow cheese...

It sucks up flavour really well, so you can sprinkle it with herbs or seasonings to match your meal.

OMG - I love laughing cow!! Maybe I'll try this tonight!!

• Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I mix it in with Annie's White Shells & Cheddar (macaroni). If you add a whole head, it seems like you're eating way more of the macaroni than you are, yet it's mostly cauliflower. A trick I like to play on myself ;)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

OMG - I love laughing cow!! Maybe I'll try this tonight!!

It's brilliant! I use it in mashed potato, in soups, inside stuffed chicken breasts... it's so versatile!

• Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I "roast" it like mentioned here. I have made mashed potatoes out of it and also soup. Love it. I usually steam them with broccoli, celery and dash of garlic powder. We made "popcorn" out of it the other day by roasting and sprinkling Cajun seasoning out of it.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I steam it but leave it still a bit firm, then put lemon juice on it and leave it overnight to soak up the juice. Then its finger food - something in the fridge that i can nibble on when I get hungry.