sugar intake - don't understand

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP unless you have some underlying medical condition that would make you sensitive to sugar then I would not be worried about it….

sugar is not the devil….
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Can you switch to regular cream or half and half? I used to use flavored creamer but now I prefer my coffee with the half and half.

But I LOVE the flavored creamer :(

Maybe cut down how much you use? If not, keep using what you like. There are foods I can only eat a certain way and nothing will work as a sub, like Grapenuts and half and half.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Those "creamer" products are expensive liquid plastic. Gross. Try flavored coffee (or sprinkle spices over regular coffee grounds) and use a proper milk or nut-milk for dilution. There is nothing good about sweetened liquid plastic.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If I didn't use creamer, and just used milk, regular creamer or drink it black, I'd have to add a little sugar, so then we're back at too much sugar :(
    Up until now I was worried about my sodium, I thought I was way over the limit, because I like salty, savory and sour, but my sodium intake is under.
    Who knew?

You have to decide where you are happier using your alloted calories and carbs. I chose to cut the creamer and use half and half which gives me more carbs for fruit. The fat is no problem, I choose to keep my fat in the cream but I eat non-fat yogurt because I prefer the taste of skim milk, yogurt, etc.

• Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was actually in shock today when I measured out the creamer I use, table spoon by table spoon. I never knew I used so much. I figured it'd be about 100 calories or so... well, try 300 :) I can cut back some, and use more milk, which I often do, but I know I can't cut it out.

I'm trying to make this work, because I gained so much weight in the past 2-3 years, I don't understand it. :(
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Honestly? Those "creamer" products are expensive liquid plastic. Gross. Try flavored coffee (or sprinkle spices over regular coffee grounds) and use a proper milk or nut-milk for dilution. There is nothing good about sweetened liquid plastic.

You're right it's expensive. But I drink espresso and I haven't seen flavored espresso ground coffee.
    I can go drastic and drink coffee with milk (no sugar) but I know it won't be a life style change, just maybe a week.

• earlnabby
    Options
    I was actually in shock today when I measured out the creamer I use, table spoon by table spoon. I never knew I used so much. I figured it'd be about 100 calories or so... well, try 300 :) I can cut back some, and use more milk, which I often do, but I know I can't cut it out.

I'm trying to make this work, because I gained so much weight in the past 2-3 years, I don't understand it. :(

That is why weighing and measuring is so important to weight loss, especially when you first start out. It is amazing how much we tend to overestimate portion size!

Mixing with some milk sound like a great compromise! Finding what works for you and figuring out those little compromises is exactly what you need to do to make changes and still keep yourself happy.

• Marianna93637
    Options
    By the way I could use some friends! :) this is my 3rd day only. Someone to tell me every day "hey you, watch the creamer" lol.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    That's why I've found MFP so helpful. Even if you don't make big changes, you learn a lot! I'll add you - I own a coffee shop but I don't drink coffee!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Can you switch to regular cream or half and half? I used to use flavored creamer but now I prefer my coffee with the half and half.

There's nothing wrong with drinking flavored creamer. Please enjoy your coffee the way you like it.

It's a sin not to enjoy coffee the way you like it... coffee's sacred. ;)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    By the way I could use some friends! :) this is my 3rd day only. Someone to tell me every day "hey you, watch the creamer" lol.

Oh boy, an MFP baby. How cute.

Seriously, don't be too hard on yourself. I have been losing since the first of the year and have been on MFP since February. I am still learning and tweaking and trying to figure out how all of this works. Start by weighing, measuring, and logging EVERYTHING. You can start to see trends and then you can work on the changes. When I first started, someone told me that weight loss is not a big change, it is a series of small changes, which is so true.

58841349.png
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    for me unless you are a sugar addict and feel crap after eating sugar just watch your major macros - protein fats and carb. Try and eat a mixed diet with plenty of veg and fruit and your vitamins and minerals should take care of themselves. Most people don't eat enough protein so it would be worth making sure you hit mfp's level. Even this is low and studies show eating more protein and exercise reduces muscle loss while you lose fat :-)
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You don't have to control sugar unless that's a specific goal. For general weight loss, just watch calories. You can adjust later if you have problems with energy, hunger, or body composition.
  • Marianna93637
    Options

There's nothing wrong with drinking flavored creamer. Please enjoy your coffee the way you like it.

Yes, coffee is sacred lol. I'm Hungarian, and when the Turkish occupied our country a few hundred years ago, they already had coffee. When the Hungarians saw them drinking it, they thought they were drinking black soup.
    I love this black soup :)

• Marianna93637
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    for me unless you are a sugar addict and feel crap after eating sugar just watch your major macros - protein fats and carb. Try and eat a mixed diet with plenty of veg and fruit and your vitamins and minerals should take care of themselves. Most people don't eat enough protein so it would be worth making sure you hit mfp's level. Even this is low and studies show eating more protein and exercise reduces muscle loss while you lose fat :-)

You're right. I was also surprised how little protein I'm eating. I thought it was much more. I guess I mostly eat vegetables, and somehow rack up the carbs with the protein lagging behind. Now I'm consciously trying to eat more protein and less carbs. (I realized today that a can of tuna has 0 carbs but lots of protein)
  • earlnabby
    Options

Yes, coffee is sacred lol. I'm Hungarian, and when the Turkish occupied our country a few hundred years ago, they already had coffee. When the Hungarians saw them drinking it, they thought they were drinking black soup.
    I love this black soup :)

I spent some time visiting Hungary and loved it! The wines were especially wonderful.

• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    300 calories from coffee is a lot. If you like it, keep it, but understand that's probably your only "treat" for the day. Is it worth a tuna sandwich to you? A slice of cake? 30 minutes on the treadmill? Then great!

If not, try half the creamer and half skim milk. You could try splenda for sweetness, or switch to drip coffee or an americano. Even if you can cut it to 2/3 the calories, that would help you out.

Also, it's not true that "you don't eat sweets", because the coffee creamer IS a sweet, and you have it every day. Understanding the patterns that led to weight gain is the first step to taking it off!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    If I didn't use creamer, and just used milk, regular creamer or drink it black, I'd have to add a little sugar, so then we're back at too much sugar :(
    Up until now I was worried about my sodium, I thought I was way over the limit, because I like salty, savory and sour, but my sodium intake is under.
    Who knew?

you know there are other options than sugar. like splenda or even stevia if you prefer to go the "natural" route. I replace all the sugar in my beverages and baking with stevia. it all tastes fine.
  • Marianna93637
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    If not, try half the creamer and half skim milk. You could try splenda for sweetness, or switch to drip coffee or an americano. Even if you can cut it to 2/3 the calories, that would help you out.

Also, it's not true that "you don't eat sweets", because the coffee creamer IS a sweet, and you have it every day. Understanding the patterns that led to weight gain is the first step to taking it off!

I'm gonna try some of these alternatives. What I meant when I said I don't eat sweets, was that I don't eat cookies, candy, chocolate, ice cream, pudding, nothing, none of these. The only thing close to sweets I 'eat' is yoghurt and sometimes a granola bar. that's why my feelings were hurt lol about the sugar sneaking in.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I would suggest dumping those flavored Nestle creamers. Why? It is full of chemicals and hydrogenated oils - not good. I switched to the So Delicious brand of coffee creamer. It is dairy free and made from coconut milk but it does not taste like coconut. There is the regular flavor as well as vanilla and hazelnut. Yes, it does have sugar but it is lower in calories and healthier. Also, the product is non-GMO certified, has half the ingredients of the other stuff AND you can pronounce those ingredients!