Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    Great job niki.....losing is such a wonderful feeling.
    On the road yesterday, my Sabotage Sunday, haha, ate chinese food with almond chicken, sweet and sour pork, half cup, fried rice, three fourths cup, spring roll one only, taco bell nacho supreme and a diet coke. Calorie count was 1429 for the day and fat was 51 grams, 4 grams over my goal for the day of 30 per cent fat.
    Bought a new super scale yesterday, and weighed in this morning. It weighs in 2/10 th increments, so I am up for the week by 3/10 of a lb. I will take it, been working on posting and staying under calories but have not been walking, walking, walking, but doing stomach exercises. Have a new goal, but sooooooo glad I did watch my calories on Sabotage Sunday and this week will be better.
    Thanks!
  • ambywams
    ambywams Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @NK1112 ...thank you so much for the assistance! I looked at all the previous posts, beforehand. It just didn't seem to sink in, my brain was left at home today. I'm not sure I am understanding the ratios...
    Is it Day # you are on out of days participated this month?
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @ Tom Thanks for that post this morning. It is staggering to realize how many women suffer so. It gives me anther reason to be thankful this week.

@ ambywams Welcome. Good luck on your journey.

@ Teresa My thoughts are with you. That must be a terrible struggle watching your daughter.

@ Laurie I hope all goes well with your dad today.

AFM My Tuesday goal is to get through this week without a gain. I weigh on Wednesday so will have a few days to recover after the feast; my intent is to make it a good weigh in.
    My hamstring has pulled up sore again/still. I see the chiro later today to get my pelvis moved back where it belongs to get this to feel better again.

All In:
    18/24 under calorie goal
    5/24 doing fitness. My goal was 3x a week...gotta work on that.
    Paper work. YIKES! Still there.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    November All-In Challenge Up-date:
    19/25 days under 1350 cals (+2 totally horrible days, the rest were really close)
    23/25 days cardio, 20/25 days 10,000+ steps, 8/25 days weight training
    Stalled at same weight 2 weeks with fluctuations after my totally horribles. :\

About the December challenge, I'm all for a repeat of November but will try to avoid totally horrible days o:) and improve total 10,000 step days. Walking in place each evening watching my favorite Christmas movies (thank you Hallmark!) is almost enjoyable. Just like this month, I will allow myself a free food day on Christmas. Hope it doesn't set me back.

Robin: I like the way you "boldify" our names. Hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea and that you have more of those very fine days. Send one my way. You've been quite productive.

Soosun: I like your "leftover" philosophy. Also, I too got the glass screen and cover for my iPhone. So far I'm loving my iPhone, though son gets the occasional call for explanations, like how to mute the phone or put the ringer on vibrate. :p I actually added the MFP app along with some fun games. Love the educational ones and trivia like Heads Up. (Don't laugh--that's pretty good for an old lady.)

Kaye: Wish you lived closer and could coach me on knitting. Always wanted to and can crochet, but two needles?! Just too clumsy and hate tearing out my stitches. Good for you, using the pedaler. Hope your knee is better soon.

Kelley: The icemaker in our 15-y.o. fridge stopped working a couple of weeks ago and son thinks we need to replace the fridge. Ouch! When I told him about you having to replace the motor for $250, he upped his nagging. Since we purchased it, the cost of a similar fridge has DOUBLED. Hubby is dragging his feet on this, so in the meantime I'm buying bags of ice. (Hubby is the one who uses so much ice, BTW.) I feel your pain. Guess there'll be no Christmas present for me this year.

All Newbies: Welcome! Come back here often. Even if you don't get a mention, know that we are reading, understand the journey you're embarking on and empathize. And, you just might get some pretty good advice like I have.

Feel the love. <3

GrammyWhammy>Marsha

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    ambywams wrote: »
    @NK1112 ...thank you so much for the assistance! I looked at all the previous posts, beforehand. It just didn't seem to sink in, my brain was left at home today. I'm not sure I am understanding the ratios...
    Is it Day # you are on out of days participated this month?

I've seen it reported 2 different ways ... there are, let's say, 30 days in the month and today when you tallied your calories it was the 25th day that you were within 100 calories of your calorie goal.
    One ... report 25/30 .... 25 days at goal in a 30 day challenge
    Two ... report 25/25 .... it's the 25th day of reporting and you were at goal all 25 days.
    Your choice, we'll get the idea no matter which you record it.

For me, I have reported some things as percentages because that was my personal goal for the 2nd part of all-in ... I keep an 'attendance sheet' of the things I am working on and check off each time I accomplish one goal in the day. Then I report the % of checkmarks I earned ... I'm way below my goal... which was something like being better than last month when I had 83% of the checkmarks checked off.

There are really no hard and fast rules on here ... we all chose to repeat the calorie control as an on-going challenge but each month we want another goal that we can work on, and this month it was individual goals. We haven't decided for sure yet what our December goal will be but there have been suggestions we repeat this months All-In.

Hope this helps.
    Niki

• Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Thanks for the kind words about my daughter. She lives in another state which I feel is a blessing. If she lived near me it would truly drive me mad to have to see her on drugs. Not that it makes a huge difference when it’s your kid where they live. Pain and fear has knows no distance. :( Anyway, I’m not giving up that a miracle can happen! o:)

I spent the whole day cleaning house and getting it presentable for Thanksgiving. We are having two of our dearest friends over and it will be a day of good wine, great food, and lots of laughs. I’m really looking forward to it. :D

I'm doing the cooking (minus the lovely pies hubby bought at Fresh Market today). We will be having spinach salad with candied pecans, crispy bacon, blue cheese, and a pomegranate vinaigrette. We will also be having turkey, dressing (made in the crockpot!), gravy, roasted root vegetables, homemade cranberry chutney, and whole wheat dinner rolls. And of course pie!! <3 I probably won't be counting the calories. :p

So for us living in the US what are you doing for Thanksgiving? What's on the menu???? :D
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Mmmmm, Teresa, your dinner sounds scrumptious! Lucky I don't know where you live or I'd be on your front step.

First I'll tell you what I usually make each year:
    Roast turkey and traditional sage dressing with cranberries and pecans
    Mashed potatoes and the real deal gravy (no giblets, however)
    Cranberry sauce with orange zest or frozen cranberry salad
    Saurkraut with sausage and caraway (kids won't eat this but it's a German tradition)
    Blanched broccoli wreath with yogurt dressing
    or
    Green beans almondine
    or
    Succotash
    Pumpkin Streusel pie
    Tipsy Chocolate Pecan pie
    (Sadly, family hates sweet potatoes, so after years of making them various ways, I've given up!)

This year, for only the 2nd time in the 46 years of our marriage, hubby, kids and I are GOING TO A RESTAURANT! It's in all caps because I am thrilled not to have to cook! We're going to a buffet that's supposed to be fabulous. That also means I won't have tempting leftovers around. No willpower at all for pie or dressing and gravy. I am doing a turkey breast in the crockpot for sandwiches and making a pie (or two) to take to son's house for the post-dinner football extravaganza. (Living in north TX, it's practically a sin not to watch the Cowboys and U. of TX.) I will be at the movies for this travesty. :#

Now, aren't you sorry you asked? :p

GrammyWhammy>Marsha

• trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know that recently I said I was back, and well I wasn't. BUT a few weeks ago I received the letter that I have been waiting for....I finally got accepted into the RN program! I have been working on this for awhile. And my sister and I had a good talk the other day and told each other we would work together. So starting yesterday I started working out again. I went to my sister's and we worked out together yesterday and I worked out today at home. I did Leslie Sansone 3 Mega Miles workout. I AM back. I may not be able to be on this forum everyday, but I will be logging my food and exercise. I would like to lose some weight by the time my RN program starts which is January.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    trhjrh- Welcome back and Congratulations on being accepted into RN program. You have worked very hard to reach that goal. It is great when you have a workout partner.

Grammy- Sorry to hear about your fridge but yeah on not having to cook for Thanksgiving this year. Your homemade dinner sounds great.

Kah (Kelley) Hope your nephews are feeling better so they can make it to dinner. However, you don't want the flu that is going around.

Well today was busy day and we did manage to get my dad home safely after a major scare. Dad manage to walk all the way to the steps without a problem. Then we reached the stairs, only 3 but still enough to be a problem. He reached the top step and almost fell backwards down the steps. He came dangerously close to losing his balance and could not get himself in the right position to stay upright. Somehow, my Mom and I managed to get the wheel chair up onto the porch and behind him before he fell down. If he had fallen, I would have been squished between the Dad, the wheel chair and the concrete and would have been seriously hurt. Needless to say, I was scared to death and my heart was racing. This episode has left me very anxious about getting Dad in and out of the house. My brother will be putting in a railing so I hope he will do it sooner rather than later.

My brother and his family is cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year. It should be interesting since the last time he cooked dinner, everything came out before the turkey. The good thing about this is that some of the dishes they will cook, I personally don't care for so will not eat them. However, my brother will make homemade pies that are really good. My goal is to do a 5K Thanksgiving morning weather permitting. We are expecting rain/snow tomorrow so that wipes out the 5K I wanted to do tomorrow. My area is expecting mostly rain but it will be cold and nasty.

I did have a great workout today with plenty of interval training on the spin bike and treadmill. (*)

Tomorrow- I will go to the gym in the morning and get a workout done.
    Then tomorrow night I might go to swim practice
    Thursday- 5K run or walk
    Friday- Climbing
    Saturday- swimming
    Sunday- gym for cardio workout
    Monday- gym core workout plus cardio
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @laurie--glad to hear you got your dad home and the close call with him was averted. We are also having yucky weather for running which leaves me very happy that I didn't pay to participate in an outdoor Turkey Trot. I wll head to the gym and run my 8k inside on a treadmill.

@tina (trhjrh)--it's so great to see you back and CONGRATS on getting accepted to your RN program!!! That's awesome!

@marsha--enjoy your dinner out for the holiday!

@teresa--DH and I are going to have dinner with my whole family at my sister's MIL's house. We did this last year and it was really nice. Her MIL orders a turkey and ham and the rest of us bring sides. My younger sister is making the sweet potatoes, older sis makes a yummy corn pudding and is also bringing cranberry sauce, I'm bringing stuffing and the vegetables (I'm planning roasted asparagus and onions), my mom is bringing pies and regular mashed potatoes. Not sure what kind of pies--I'm sure one will be pumpkin but not sure about the other.

@amby--welcome!

Hello to everyone else--sounds like you are all on track and fighting the good fight.

Tuesday Goals:
    I have the next 5 days off, so my goal is to be very productive with the grading. I have so much right now that I'm feeling completely overwhelmed. Tomorrow, I plan to head to starbucks early and get a jump on the essays. I need to finish the Montana 1948 essays by Monday. They aren't very long so I should be able to get through about 10/hour, so that's about 5 hours of grading. I also need to finish the SL vocab and paper revisions which will probably take about 5 hours. Finally, the AP essays will take about 15 hours to complete. I don't need to have those done until next Thursday, but I have meetings after school Tues. and Wed. next week, so I need to make a big dent in them before we go back on Monday.

I didn't even bring home any of the journals. If I have time, I may go to school to tackle some of those as well. Someome please remind me why I chose to be an English teacher? My friend, John, is a business teacher--guess how much grading he's bringing home: NONE.

Although I have to devote a lot of time to grading, I don't want to neglect the gym. I don't know why I scheduled the gym for tomorrow though--I really should take another rest day before running my 8k, so I'm amending the schedule.

November All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 20/24 days (goal is 27/30 days)
    Workout: 6/24 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k on Thanksgiving Day in 57 minutes

Grading Goals:
    1. 7/60 M1948 in-class essays
    2. x/66 AP essays
    3. x/60 SL vocab analyses
    4. 5/15 paper revisions
    5. 3/66 AP Journals

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Tues--rest day
    Wed--walk gunner
    Thurs--Thanksgiving Day 8k
    Fri--walk gunner + gym
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Oh Hi - Thanksgiving day menus are being shared ... and everyone I;ve read thus far sounds delicious

I'm having dinner with family at my sister's house and am bringing two dishes for the meal ... a cranberry side and a salad. Today I went shopping for the ingredients and, natch - I haven't settled yet on which cranberry recipe to use so I picked up a lot of stuff in case I go one way or another.

The menu is Turkey with dressing and pan gravy, mashed potatoes, oven roasted root vegetables, salad, dinner rolls, cranberry sides (mine and my sister-in-laws raw cranberry relish), and there a chocolate pie, a cream pie, carrot/pineapple mold, and a cake for a Thanksgiving birthday girl.

Teresa - you are making Cranberry Chutney ... what is your recipe like? I cannot decide between a chutney or a whole cranberry sauce (cooked kind).

Challenge results for today
    9/24 days under calorie goal
    All-In 48% checkmarks on my 'attendance sheet' ... it's all down-hill from here, even if I accomplish every goal every day for the rest of the month the best I'll have is 54% ... well, at least I know where my focus has to be next month .. if I keep the same All-In for my personal challenge.
    Niki
  • mountmary84
    Options
    @ Niki I too bought extra cranberries as I am still deciding what to do with them. I am "thanksgiving central" here. The menu is very traditional here too.

Did well with my goals today. As I start cooking tomorrow it will get a little tougher though. Tomorrow I at least want to make the gravy (bought extra turkey parts for such), get the cranberries fixed somehow and open and set the table....you all know the drill.

Happy Thanksgiving all of you in the US who will be celebrating. I think we all have plenty to be thankful for, even with the problems we have.

Make it a good one.

Barbara

• soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    Such festive posts. Great news on getting into RN school. One of my daughter is has her RN. Good jjob.
    Doing well on under fat calories, under food calories, etc. I feel centered and focused on this weight thing; am being able to visualize a thinner me. Actually looking for a pic of me younger and thinner for motivation; the thin not the age. haha
    My husband is celiac so doing gluten free stuff for dinner. We do a turkey, stuffing with water chestnuts and mushrooms and onions and home made gluten free bread. Sweet potato casserole, asparagus with Hollandaise, mashed potatoes, spinach salad. Making gluten free carrot cake for Hubs, pumpkin, and bought a Marie Callendar Razzleberry Pie. I might make rolls but they are so easy to snitch i am thinking do not want to go there! hahaha
    My daughter and her husband and their three little ones are coming. 5, 3, 13mos. and they are so much fun. Will be here for the weekend. Hubs and SIL are doing father son golf tournament on Friday. Should be a fun fun weekend. I love to cook but being empty nesters we don't have the op to do big meals much as we are always going to kids houses instead of everyone coming to our house; just so much easier.....thanks for listening. Have fun baking and treating those you love.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking, but not posting. I've started the cooking for Thursday, and the logging has gone out the window for a couple of days. I went for a walk this afternoon, only about 1.5 miles at a slower pace. I went quite well, but I stepped wrong this evening in the dark and wrenched my knee again. Thank goodness for the pedaler.
    Tina, congratulations on nursing school.
    We'll have 18 for dinner at Cathy's house. Her living area is more open than mine so it's easier to seat everyone together. We've divided up the menu. I'm cooking one of the turkeys with stuffing, the dinner rolls, pies (chocolate, coconut cream, lemon meringue, pumpkin, and apple), and the cranberry chutney. Others are doing the candied yams, veggies, mashed potatoes, and gravy.
    My son and his little family will be spending the night tomorrow so I have to plan dinner for that, too.
    I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth. Thanks for being here.
    Onward and downward, Kaye
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good Morning!

@Teresa~Sounds like a nice intimate Thanksgiving, can’t do better than spending an evening with good friends. :smile: Our menu is a tradition in our family:

Roast Turkey with real gravy
    Cornbread dressing (my grandmother’s famous recipe)
    Mashed potatoes (regular & sweet)
    Steamed green beans
    Rolls
    Celery stuffed with pimento cheese (made from scratch)
    Pies (pumpkin & pecan)

I’m not supposed to bring anything but decided to make braided Nutella bread—just something to nosh on while watching football. I mean, who doesn’t love Nutella?! :smiley:

@Marsha~LOL at sweet potatoes, I love sweet potatoes roasted but not a huge fan of the mashed either so my mom makes both (even when I tell her she doesn’t need to). Your pies sound delish! Practically a sin? Blasphemy not to watch the Cowboys on Thanksgiving! Oh and they better win!!! :wink: :worried:

@Tina~Congratulations on being accepted into the RN program! I had no doubt! :wink: I’m so glad to hear you and your sister are working out together; sometimes we need that support and accountability.

@Karen~I hope you make a dent in your grading over the next few days—don’t work too hard, enjoy your time off too!

AFM~Well, I did not make it to the gym since I had to work late. It’s been busy this week with auditors here for preliminary work. Today I’m working a half-day then I’m off the rest of the week, session with my trainer early afternoon.

My sister and her family did arrive last night, text from my mom said my BIL came down with what my nephews had (only doctor I know that actually gets sick). Told her my sister had today to get and recover from whatever is going around—hope my parents don’t come down with it and I don’t want it!

November “ALL-IN” Challenge:

Calories: 24/26
    Fitness: 24/26 (goal is to stick to my schedule)

Fitness Goals 11/23-11/28:

Sunday~Cardio (did housework instead) DONE!
    Monday~Trainer DONE!
    Tuesday~Cardio NOT DONE! :frowning:
    Wednesday~Trainer
    Thursday~Play with nephews outside
    Friday~None, traveling
    Saturday~Cardio or Swim

Everyone have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone.

We are going to my sister-in-laws for Thanksgiving, she is cooking a turkey. I’m going to smoke a ham to bring. Amy is making deviled eggs and a relish tray.

Happy Tie One On Day™ – November 26, 2014
    TIE ONE ON DAY™ Give from the heart on Wednesday – then give thanks on Thursday. This Thanksgiving Eve, Tie One On (an apron of course!) and bring joy to the life of someone in need.
    Participation is easy and uplifting. Simply wrap a loaf of bread or baked good in an apron and tuck an encouraging note or prayer into the pocket; then present your offering to a neighbor, friend or person in your community who could benefit from your gesture of kindness. Tie One On – and put the “give” back into Thanksgiving.
    “Women clad in aprons have traditionally prepared the Thanksgiving meal, and it is within our historical linkage to share our bounty.” EllynAnne Geisel
    Tie One On Day™ is a win-win, for the participant and the receiver. And by embracing TOOD, you will make someone else’s day brighter.

“Little by little does the trick.” ~Aesop

Tom
  • mountmary84
    Options
    @ Tom That is a lovely idea.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @tom--love the TOOD idea.

@kelley--ooh, I really hope you don't get sick. Lots of hand-washing and such.

@kaye--all those pies sound divine! I'm not sure my food log would survive if I could cook/bake as well as you. You are woman of strength--that's for sure!

I love hearing all of your TD menus and plans!

AFM--I tried to take kelley's advice and enjoy my time off a bit by lounging around the house this morning. Then I took gunner for a decently long walk since the wind was at a minimal today. The poor pup has been quite cooped up with all of our nasty weather. DH tried to walk him, but gunner doesn't want to go with him.

This afternoon I went to starbucks to grade for a couple of hours. Made a bit of progress finishing 20 of the shorter essays in 2 hours. That pace lines up with my estimate so that made me happy. I'm sure a lot of you thought my guesstimate of how many hours of grading I have to finish was me having a pity-party. However, I was actually quite pleased that it only came out to about 25 hours (minus the journals). If I can actually finish in that amount of time, I'll be a happy girl.

Now I'm off to the grocery store to pick up my ingredients for tomorrow's dishes.

Wednesday Wish;
    That everyone has a lovely Thanksgiving!!

November All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 21/25 days (goal is 27/30 days)
    Workout: 6/25 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k on Thanksgiving Day in 57 minutes

Grading Goals:
    1. 20/60 M1948 in-class essays
    2. x/66 AP essays
    3. x/60 SL vocab analyses
    4. 5/15 paper revisions
    5. 3/66 AP Journals

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Tues--rest day
    Wed--walk gunner DONE
    Thurs--Thanksgiving Day 8k
    Fri--walk gunner + gym
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Darn it - had lots of punny remarks made and lost them all - well Happy Thanksgiving to the first bunch of you - all I can recall is saying Woot to Niki for her loss!
    and Morgori - I almost dated a Skyjacker once but I found out just in the nick of time! Lucky me!
    Kah - Kelley - hope your relatives are well enough to come. Hope they have enough common sense to know the difference. Enjoy the day even if they don't show.
    AmbywamsHello - well you just joined us by posting so welcome aboard. Our goals for December will be the same as what we used for November. I will be posting them shortly and I will try to give a better description right now. The goal is to try to have as many days as possible under your own caloric intake (which is determined by both your and MFP) . Say, for example, your daily calories are set for 1650 calories a day. Well we automatically give a 100 calorie leeway allowance, so we would consider you under your goal for the day if you ate 1750 calories a day. And so each day of the month is recorded like this 1/31, 2/31, 3/31 etc. But since you are recording both days over calories or under calories you would put the days under in front of the slash and the days over after the slash (where the actual days of the month left also go. So if its the 15th of the month and you've only had 5 days under calories so far you would put after your comments Days Under: 5/31. Hope that makes sense. We'll explain again if it doesn't. Or someone will explain to ME!
    Tom - thanks for those facts - we currently live in a Culture of Rape where women are taught to defend themselves against that deed. We need to live in a Culture where Men do Not Rape ANYONE EVER. Where Men are Taught that it is Morally and Culturally and CRIMINALLY Wrong, and they will be Pursued, Prosecuted Immediately, and Imprisoned without the benefit of Good Time Laws for Long Sentences. Women's current cultural behavior is such that we react with shock, embarrassment, withdrawal into ourselves, blame ourselves, excuse the perpetrator, and live in a country where 31 states still permit the rapist to have parental rights if a baby is conceived from the rape
    but I digress...from the theme of this discussion thread.....
    Soosun - congrats on your new scale - that should certainly help!
    GWhammy Yes you can borrow from me anytime! I do like the look now that I see you doing it. I got sloppy this time. I'm rishing today! Dang - new fridges are way expensive. The New consumer reports has reviews of all them I can scan it and email it to you if you want. drop me a pm with your email in it.
    Teresa My heart breaks for you with your daughter being such a sad case. Yes, I guess all the advice is correct. I have seen this same problem a couple of times and no, it does not seem to get better, at least not in 5 years time. People really find ways not to hit bottom for a long, long, long time. Its like they are attached to a bungee cord or something - they keep bouncing off the bottom and surviving somehow. They need to hit the bottom and stay they with no one rescuing them. Then they rescue themselves and turn it around.
    Your Thanksgiving feast -oh, that salad! sounds so good - wish I lived nearby! yumm!
    Ambyywams yeah, follow what Niki says - she's more right than I am.. I am kinda confused these days. ..... :
    TEARJAR Tearjar is back (the only way I can remember those strings of initials!) So good to see you and congrats on getting in RN school - and on your way to earning big bucks! Way to go - you have just plugged and plugged away. I am impressed with your stamina on that front. And good for you for doing the 3 miles too - thats GREAT!!!!! <3
    Laurie Oh my gosh, how scary !! Glad it didn't go awry as you described so vividly - wow - hope the stairs and a railing or 2 get fixed soon!!! RE: the food at your bro's house, I saw a trick on TV today, it suggested using Ice chests to keep hot dishes hot, while the turkey cooks, and if the gravy is made, put it in a big thermos bottle to stay warm. I thought those ideas were very clever. We used to have the same problem.
    Sorry bad weather is going to wipe out your 5K. Stay warm.
    G-Kay We need to set you up with one of those head straps with LED lights. I have one I LOVE were the light is on a pivot so I can point it at my feet instead of straight ahead, which is nice. And I use it when I'm looking deep into my storage closets too! LOL!
    Maybe need LED lights on your shoes as well. I figure the cost (I'm wagering less that 25) would be a lot less than the cost of your time off your feet. or a drs. visit.
    Skinny Wise move not paying for the Turkey Trot this year. Hope your holiday dinner goes well. I jolted when I first saw MIL , then realized it wasn't YOUR MIL - whew !!!! Ah, thanks for that laugh I got. Poor people who have to celebrate with her...
    Well blessings on her anyway!

AFM - me and my 3 siblings discussed this summer that we are old curmudgeons that don't enjoy sitting around with each other on the Holidays so we decided to celebrate both Thanksgiving and Christmas by having one holiday Breakfast together at our favorite restaurant on December 21st. We also get together for 4 other breakfasts a year so thats going to be the plan for us. Its a great plan. Before this my elder sister took on all the responsibility of cooking, cleaning before and after, while my 2 brothers sat like a lump and split right after the meal. Now she doesn't have to bother. We much prefer the early morning hours and food. So, my elder sister is going to eat with friends who've invited her year after year. One brother is working double time, and the other brother and I are going to see Interstellar at 3 pm. I did ask him if he'd like to eat with me after and he rapidly said NO! He didn't even want to ride to the theater together. Just meet there and leave and thats it1 But should be fun. I do have pumpkin bars at home which I love and I am not a turkey fan so not missing much at all!
    Have fun with your families everyone! Enjoy their presence - realize how lucky you are to have parents, children and loved ones.
    Some of us have none of these and still can be happy! <3<3
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @robin--love the plan to meet for breakfast! That makes so much more sense since you will all enjoy it more. I've heard Interstellar is a fabulous movie. My students all went to see it when it opened at theaters and were so excited that lines from Dylan Thomas' poem "Do Not Go Gentle" was repeated multiple times. We had just finished analyzing it, so I got multiple emails that weekend from students telling me about it. Sorry I scared you with the MIL, but glad you realized it wasn't mine. My MIL is going to DH's sister's house. Should be interesting since she recently pulled the same thing with my SIL and her husband as she pulled with us last year. Needless to say, I'm not sad I will miss that tense and awkward dinner.