What changed, besides weight, after losing a lot of weight?

Options

Replies

• LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So much changed for me when the numbers on the scales started going down. I lost my 'invisibility cloak' with the weight and people seem to notice me now (particularly guys). I smile a lot more, I'm positive about life, confident, happier, healthier and braver than I was before. I try new things, love exercising and I'm not hanging out in the sidelines and watching life pass me by. There were so many things I'd shy away from because I was big. I wouldn't participate in sport or outdoor games and I hid whenever there was a camera around.
  • amf0324
    amf0324 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The shoe size thing is funny -- totally unexpected, but definitely a "side effect" of weight loss!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    MaroneLotz wrote:
    Would be interesting to know how you, your outlook on life, the things you now do, or even the people in your life changed after losing a lot of weight? ... besides the number on the scale, what else changed for you?
    I feel so much better - less achy (other than what I cause to myself at the gym), more energy, to some degree I sleep better & am less depressed.

I'm more confident about what I can do physically, willing to try things I wouldn't have thought of before (just started jogging!), know my stamina has increased (so again, more confident about what I can do if I need to).

Since I've proven to myself that I'm able to do a long-term project which requires everyday dedication, work, long slow change, etc. I'm more confident that I can put the same characteristics to use in other ways.

And most amazing, I'm actually starting to be happy with how I look. :astonished::grinning::joy:
    I feel pretty lol. I had felt unattractive for so many years,
    I just assumed I'd still feel that way, only thin
    Yes! That, exactly.

51637601.png
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MargueriteMuguet
    MargueriteMuguet Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The confidence, plus I find my sleep to be a lot more restful
  • lcphipps
    Options
    Im stronger both physically and emotionally.
  • spurlockj
    Options
    I just feel better in general. I feel more positive about everything. People who have never been heavy just don't understand the constant toll you're under when you're obese. I sure didn't even while I was, all I know is that I'm not miserable anymore. People treat me nicer and I feel attractive for the first time in my adult life.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    For me the question is most probably the wrong way around. Things changed which allowed me to keep losing , namely my whole attitude on health, fitness and who I am. Hanging around mfp , well more accurately, hanging around the right people on mfp, taught me that the biggest thing wrong wasn't the fat around my waste but the stuff between my ears. I used to look at sporty people and want to be them but I would try and do so by crash dieting and nothing else. The realization dawned on me that if I want to be sported I need to be sporty - it really is that simple. To me sporty means I engage in activity, I train and I learn about how my body works. Without this I would have just been a fat person wishing to be thin instead of a healthy fit person. I chose a sport - Triathlon, and I'm training now with a purpose. I am sure healthy people are not obsessed about losing weight but could be about their sport. For me now my sport goals are more important than my weight goals (although my weight goals are important to my sport goals :-). I am still a budding triathlete but I've entered a race and I'm now working towards this. I understand myself more as well. I like challenging myself because I realize I am not going to win anything so I've decided to enter a really hard one with the aim of winning by finishing :-) Without this transformation I would have behaved just like usual and I would still be over eating and getting even fatter than I was.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    So many things have improved. I love having self control, it's opened up other doors for me which I didn't think I'd achieve. I was never a horrible or nasty person but I was pretty negative. I feel that's going and as a result I'm closer to friends and family and I'm actually turning in to a mildly social person now! I love being complimented - who doesn't?! It's given me the confidence to change major parts of my life, again, something I never thought would happen.
    The list is endless but it's strange, to look at before and now photos (nearly 50lbs down), I honestly can't see much of a difference, but something big has definitely changed!
  • MaroneLotz
    MaroneLotz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It is simply wonderful to read all the positive changes. I have realised that when I am in a positive frame of mind, I actually get better results! What does saddens me, is how more than one person commented on how people now treat them differently/bettter than before. Society can be extremely judgemental. I have also found that people in general now notice me, where previously I was basically invisible. Quite ironice though, seeing that I was quite VISIBLE with the obese body. After many years of struggling with low selfesteem, I have finally fallen in love with myself! I see my weightloss journey as a holistic process which have had positive effects on most areas of my life (I can ditto on the shoe size and sex subject lol).

I am very proud of each and everybody who have claimed an abundant life by making the decision to be healthy. Keep up the great work!
  • MaroneLotz
    Options
    spurlockj wrote: »
    I just feel better in general. I feel more positive about everything. People who have never been heavy just don't understand the constant toll you're under when you're obese. I sure didn't even while I was, all I know is that I'm not miserable anymore. People treat me nicer and I feel attractive for the first time in my adult life.

Can totally identify with you. It's so sad, except for the part where you feel attractive now. Look at yourself in the mirror, point and say "You are one handsome dude!" ;)
  • MaroneLotz
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    For me the question is most probably the wrong way around. Things changed which allowed me to keep losing , namely my whole attitude on health, fitness and who I am. Hanging around mfp , well more accurately, hanging around the right people on mfp, taught me that the biggest thing wrong wasn't the fat around my waste but the stuff between my ears. I used to look at sporty people and want to be them but I would try and do so by crash dieting and nothing else. The realization dawned on me that if I want to be sported I need to be sporty - it really is that simple. To me sporty means I engage in activity, I train and I learn about how my body works. Without this I would have just been a fat person wishing to be thin instead of a healthy fit person. I chose a sport - Triathlon, and I'm training now with a purpose. I am sure healthy people are not obsessed about losing weight but could be about their sport. For me now my sport goals are more important than my weight goals (although my weight goals are important to my sport goals :-). I am still a budding triathlete but I've entered a race and I'm now working towards this. I understand myself more as well. I like challenging myself because I realize I am not going to win anything so I've decided to enter a really hard one with the aim of winning by finishing :-) Without this transformation I would have behaved just like usual and I would still be over eating and getting even fatter than I was.

Just love the way you are looking at this! I see my progress as a holistic process.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome thread! Can relate to so many comments on here.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I became very active on my journey to lose weight, i took up running and going to the gym to the point where i work out 5 days a week. It gave me all this new-found confidence that I joined an amateur theatre group and act on stage (first play in 5 days time EEEK!!) As well as working full time, and being a mum, and all the fitness PLUS my theatre group, Im so busy, but i sleep well at night because of all the exercise. The only drawback I found is that I now cant abide lazy people. I used to be a lazy girl but now I know there is so much more to life and it actually bugs me when friends are missing out cause they want to sleep all day and watch tv the rest of the time! So Ive lost some friends!!!!
  • summerhaze71
    summerhaze71 Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    amf0324 wrote: »
    The shoe size thing is funny -- totally unexpected, but definitely a "side effect" of weight loss!

I have only lost 30 lbs so far but I went from wearing a 7.5 shoe in high school to nearly wearing a size 9 at my heaviest. I never once thought it was due to my weight increase. For some reason, I had convinced myself that your feet just kept growing as you got older.

The other day I was trying on shoes and gravitated to size 8 or 9, and was surprised that they were all too big!! Back in 7.5!!! That was definitely a revelation of the changes that are starting to happen.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    So many great results here! For myself, sweating and chafing less (gross I know, but true!), definitely the shoe size thing and I seem to be able to regulate my temperature better now my metabolism is fired up. I used to have cold fingers and toes all the time before, but now I don't seem to notice it so much.
  • ticktanker
    ticktanker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    cannot believe it - apart from the usual e.g. clothes, shoes etc - i now find that my glasses actually fit perfectly, had been struggling for many years for a pair that fit nicely, i can now go on & just replace the lenses & keep the frames
  • LACnessMonster
    LACnessMonster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 100 lbs. Confidence increased. The way I felt about my body changed. I can run a lot, fast and for long distances. I enjoy it. I gained self control (sort of) over food. I can lift. I have a killer set of legs. I joined roller derby. I've set my sights on bigger and badder things. I became less afraid of being alone and doing things by myself, not that it wasn't an issue, I just have shut down all the anxiety that goes along with it. I learned to be my own advocate. Really there's not a whole lot of bad things that have happened since I dropped weight.
  • justaboat
    justaboat Posts: 17 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It seems that the more weight I lose, the more depressed I get :/ (is this just me or do others feel this way?)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!