what the hell im i supposed to eat tomorrow on THANKSGIVING!!!

Options

Replies

• Aiko831
    Options
    Make good choices, stick to the healthiest ones available... I would go for the turkey, and the chicken (unless it's fried).... If you must eat something unhealthy, SMALL PORTION of it won't hurt. But if like you said, you can't control yourself, just DON'T EAT ANY OF THE BAD STUFF... Maybe you can take a healthy dish that can help you stay away from the bad ones.

Good luck.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    have a very small breakfast and lunch, keep to reasonable amounts when at dinner and have very small breakfast and lunch next day, its all about making allowance for what you eat and you need to plan and log.

get some supportive friends on MFP who will help you keep on track and motivate you
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    ccecci92 wrote: »
    we are having dinner at a friends house,
    i know theres gonna be potato salad,
    the turkey, chicken, cheesecake for dessert and other delicios food,
    and i know im gonna want to eat all of those things.
    should i just not go?
    or what should i do?
    I cant control myself too much when there's a lot of food
    helppp!!!
    Do your best to estimate what you are eating when you log it in MFP. Log it as you eat it, so you see the actual calories accumulate. When dessert comes out, thats when I leave

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    renovagirl wrote: »
    we are having dinner at a friends house,
    i know theres gonna be potato salad,
    the turkey, chicken, cheesecake for dessert and other delicios food,
    and i know im gonna want to eat all of those things.
    should i just not go?
    or what should i do?
    I cant control myself too much when there's a lot of food
    helppp!!!

I guess I'm going against the majority of posters who commented but I would eat turkey, chicken and salad (not potato salad). There will always be great tasting food around, it's all about choices. Just saying..............

I'm of the same mindset. I'm eating just like it was a normal day and logging my meals. also working out, just like a normal day (because it is!). I don't think that indulging one day will make a difference. I just don't want to. I'm very pleased with my progress and don't want any speed bumps along the way. I cannot make food the be-all end-all for me. That's always been the problem. I'm looking forward to spending time with family. I won't be hungry (I never am) and I won't give a hoot about pie or "goodies". All that stuff is why I'm fat now. The people I know who are in shape (weight and fitness-wise) selectively eat and stay active. That's what I'm going for. But to each his own. For those who can jump on and off the wagon, more power to you.

OP, enjoy the day, no matter what choices you make.
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Have the people your with keep you accountable. Maybe even ask them to serve you reasonable portions instead of making your own plate. A sample of this and that wont leave you feeling guilty. Get some exercise in before you go and eat healthy the rest of the day. Dont snack. And dont go hungry
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Eat larger portions of the lower calorie options and smaller portions of the higher calorie dishes. You don't have to eat piles of everything.
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    treat it as one day try to choose wisely... if that fails Friday is a fresh start. Just don't have it turn into a month long food fest
  • carroyo1986
    Options
    I'm making pan con pavo salvadoreño tomorrow. You have to not be scared of eating. You can eat all that food. No es necesario que te llenes el plato hasta arriba con toda la comida. If you're worried, eat a portion of everything. It's not going to make you gain 100 lbs overnight. :flowerforyou:

grasias Lasmartchika eske a veses ciento que comense esto y no voy a poder

Si puedes! It's OK to fail. Just get back on track. That has been one of the biggest things I have had to overcome. Accepting that it's OK for me to fail. What's important is that your goal doesn't change. The plan might have a little kinks in it but the goal must remain the same. Be healthy!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Angurla wrote: »
    Have the people your with keep you accountable. Maybe even ask them to serve you reasonable portions instead of making your own plate. A sample of this and that wont leave you feeling guilty. Get some exercise in before you go and eat healthy the rest of the day. Dont snack. And dont go hungry

Bwahhaa. Sorry, the people I will be eating with do not have any clue what a "reasonable portion" is. My husband watches me weight out food and says "I will take twice that" Three times, if it is cereal. My hostess will be drunk. And they would probably each and every member of the party make me a plate.

On a more serious note, no one else is responsible for my eating.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If it's going to be a lifestyle, you're gonna have to figure out how to live it. Start small, don't expect perfection. Make a reasonable goal for the day.

i think im gonna end up dissapointed
    ok
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    wamydia wrote: »
    Eat what sounds good and don't make yourself crazy worrying about it. Put reasonable portions of all the yummy things on your plate and eat them. Wait 20 minutes. If you're still hungry, go get some more yummy things. If not, have a little bit of dessert if you haven't already. But don't freak out about it. Stress and worrying about what you will/ will not eat can make it harder to not overeat (because you spend all day thinking about food).

Above all, remember that this is just one day out of the entire year. If you go a little overboard this one day it isn't going to make you instantly gain 10 pounds of fat. You can always hit the gym and get back on goal Friday.

i agree with this. eat small portions of what you want, get some exercise in, and don't worry about the rest of it. the key, i've learned, is learning to enjoy special days and making allowances for days that haven't been planned.
    I am going to two thanksgiving dinners in a row. so, i know that i will want to enjoy some things. i won't go overboard, but i sure as heck am not going to deny myself.
  • BrittTomore87
    BrittTomore87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I might not be the biggest help considering I don't really eat 'thanksgiving' foods or enjoy them but with any holiday I don't count my calories but I try to be mindful about what I'm eating. If I want some appetizers I'll pick one or two out of the many options and for dinner I take very small portions of whatever looks good to be. I'm a big dessert girl so that is where I have to be careful to pick which dessert I really want or sometimes like tomorrow since I won't eat a lot of real food I let myself enjoy the holiday and eat what I want. Good luck tomorrow and enjoy the day! xo
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a journey and it isn't going to end if you decide to enjoy thanksgiving with family. It's only one day and you can continue the weight loss journey after, it's not the end of the world. I personally don't celebrate thanksgiving but if your family does, celebrate!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the holiday. It is just one day. Here is some information extracted from this online news story: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/calories-eat-thanksgiving/story?id=27168135

Enjoy the festivities but simply be aware of how much they're eating. She said she never recommends weight loss as a goal for the holiday season because between the treats and the lack of exercise because of cold weather and limited daylight, the best that can be expected is weight maintenance.

"You don't have to go hog wild but also realize this shouldn't be the impetus for the loss of constraint going forward," she said. "You don’t want to go paranoid into the holidays. People just have to be aware."

Bryant also recommended going on a run in the morning and taking a walk after the big dinner.

Here's Bryant's breakdown:

Turkey (dark meat with skin): Serving size: Two - three slices (8 oz.), Calories: 430

Stuffing: Serving size: 1 cup, Calories: 320

Green bean casserole: Serving size: 1 serving, Calories: 160

Mashed potatoes and gravy: Serving size: 1 cup + 1/4 cup of gravy, Calories: 240 + 205 (445 total)

Cranberry sauce: Serving size: 1 slice, Calories: 85

Cornbread: Serving size: 1 piece, Calories: 175

Sweet potatoes with marshmallows: Serving size: 1 heaping scoop, Calories: 610

White wine: Serving size: 1 glass, Calories: 120

Pecan pie: Serving size: 1 slice, Calories: 505

Pumpkin pie: Serving size: 1 slice, Calories: 320

Total Calories: 3,170
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I get the "live your life, eat up, it's just one day" advice but take that advice with a grain of salt. "It's just one day" until you find yourself saying "it's just one day" every week. Also, it's worth noting that most of the people who give this advice tend to be fit already.

I'm fit now, but I overweight and could barely walk around the block two years ago...I followed my own advice back then as well.

To get all wrapped up in one day is silly...if people worried about what they're doing the rest of the year as much as they worry about a handful of holidays during the year then everyone would be fit and healthy as *kitten*...

• CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this is something I generally try to do for holiday meals. Not fool proof but it works for me:
    30% of a dinner plate is turkey (its surprisingly low cal!)
    30% is steamed veggies (my family always does steamed veggies and also low cal)
    the last 40% is the other good stuff I want like cranberry sauce, potatoes, gravy, popover, etc.

We don't go big on desserts, but if its your thing- eat half a slice after lunch and the other half later in the afternoon if its a hangout event. We play games in my family so leftovers are usually pulled out later for grazing even though no one is really hungry. I do graze but I keep my portions small and limit it to savories because I know I will want to go back several times. I just avoid the desserts as much as possible. Hope this helps.

For holidays, I would recommend finding out your TDEE burn and eat maintenance calories. Doing a deficit is hard when celebrating.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating a tablespoonful of everything and then logging the calories. It may slow down the weight loss but it won't completely scuddle me!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I plan on enjoying the holiday. We are having French pancakes for b-fast, a salad for lunch, and I will have whatever I want for dinner, but in reasonable portions. I plan on eating slowly and taking a break before diving into seconds so my stomach and brain can get in sync. I hope to get some exercise in during the day but I'm not going to stress about it. I want to relax tomorrow, I always bust my butt both at the gym and during my daily routine so taking a day off once in a while is ok. Its Thanksgiving DAY. As long as I don't turn it into Thanksgiving WEEKEND, I'll be fine.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Eat it! One day isn't going to ruin your journey.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Angurla wrote: »

It's my job to be accountable for myself, I would never ask someone else to take on that responsibility.

Food should not make you feel guilty, it's food and this is one day. Worry about calories, etc. the rest of the year, on the holidays enjoy yourself.