I DON'T WANT TO WORK OUT!!!

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My schedule is so hectic at times that I have to skip workouts - I find myself working out "in the dark", either really early before work or after the kids are asleep, at the expense my own sleep. I'm envious if you have time to workout 5+ hours per week without a problem, you should be appreciative of the opportunity.
  • arnold824
    Options
    I don't do cardio frankly because I think it's boring as heck but I lift weights though but not because I like them but because I am already sacrificing my eating habits to get thinner I also decided to sacrifice my time and effort in toning my body for it to look better.

tl;dr I hate cardio and I would prefer to eat less. Also please lift weights as you can't achieve a good toned body with a diet or cardio.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you wanna do, I say. Long as you know results don't come from sitting. I only have a problem with people who don't workout but complain about no results. It's your life, do what makes you happy.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Do whatever you wanna do, I say. Long as you know results don't come from sitting. I only have a problem with people who don't workout but complain about no results. It's your life, do what makes you happy.
    +1

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, i know i either just need to do it or i need to suck it up. it is hard though. and id love to work out outside but it's -25C here right now and only getting colder so not really an option :( as of now, ive been working out to videos online like fitness blender or p90x videos. maybe i'll try something like riding the stationary bike or something for now and see if that gets me going. i just wish there was a magic button we could press and not have to worry about working out or eating whatever you want lol

The temperature is not an excuse, I'm in Ottawa and run outside all year 'round. Maybe Portage & Main is the coldest corner in Canada but we get a real winter here too.

As others have said, it doesn't need to be something you find tedious. Cross country skiing or snowshoeing are both great winter time activities. We're lucky to have the world's longest skating rink here too. Get creative, think of activities you'll enjoy ( you don't need to run a marathon or bench press double your body weight to be fit and healthy)/

• NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Don't work out if you don't want to - however, don't expect to feel or look as good as people who put in the time and effort. If feeling and looking good matter than put in the effort - look at this the same as you would about going to work to get a paycheck. At the very least you have lots of work out options so you can at pick the least offensive to you. Is the end important enough to you to justify the means?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Because cardio is boring... Lift weights. :p

Lifting is even more boring than cardio.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Find an activity that doesn't feel like working out, or that you truly enjoy.

For me, those things include Zumba, Swimming, Walking a nice scenic path, and Hiking.

Sports are great for physical activity that's fun. Swimming too, depending on which kind you do. Zumba/Dancing... are all fun things.

You just gotta try different things and see which you like the most. You don't need much motivation for fun stuff... just sayin'. :)

I also get my cardio in doing things I enjoy. I take a water aerobics class 3 x a week and swim 45 minutes also 3 x a week. Sometimes I walk around my neighborhood or go on one of the many hiking trails we have.

• aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You don't need to work out to lose weight. I lost 40 pounds just counting calories on here. But I did find working out gave me an extra boost.... Just find something you like doing. The treadmill bored me, so I took a yoga class and started swimming and looked forward to it every single day. Just find what works for you.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily like to work out, but I like to look good in my clothes, feel strong and comfortable with myself. Another poster said they don't want to look like they spent the whole winter sitting around--THIS!! I want to be the person who looks BETTER in the spring than they do now. At age 44 I don't want health issues related to weight in my future.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do something you like doing..."working out" doesn't have to mean droning away on some cardio machine for hours on end or jumping around the living room like some kind of *kitten* to some DVD...I mean if you're into that then cool...but it doesn't have to be that.

I love riding my bike and lifting weights so that's primarily what I do. I do a bit of running as well, which I really don't like that much but a sprint triathlon is on my bucket list so I have to run.

In the summer I do some swimming as well...and I enjoy hikes in the mountains and taking my dog for a walk.

Maybe find a sport that you like...tennis, basketball, whatever....

Working out doesn't have to be lame...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Do something you like doing..."working out" doesn't have to mean droning away on some cardio machine for hours on end or jumping around the living room like some kind of *kitten* to some DVD...I mean if you're into that then cool...but it doesn't have to be that.

I love riding my bike and lifting weights so that's primarily what I do. I do a bit of running as well, which I really don't like that much but a sprint triathlon is on my bucket list so I have to run.

In the summer I do some swimming as well...and I enjoy hikes in the mountains and taking my dog for a walk.

Maybe find a sport that you like...tennis, basketball, whatever....

Working out doesn't have to be lame...
    All of this. I do tedious cardio because it's easy and a default and I read a book. But, I LOVE hiking, and I look forward to the weather where it's nice enough to do that. I love getting out in nature and moving.

The answer isn't "do x because x is awesome and not boring" because everyone enjoys different things. Try several different things and find what you're good at and what you enjoy (and those aren't always the same thing either).

I've done all sorts of stuff including aikido, running, elliptical, weight lifting, sculling, zumba, body pump, yoga, working with a trainer, etc. Somethings were a lot of fun and others I HATED (running). Just find what works in your life.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Another "find something you love to do" - join a rec league, try something else at the gym, hit up some classes. I found I really love boxing, just do too much other stuff to commit to.
  • BrittTomore87
    BrittTomore87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What seems to keep me into my workout is a really good workout playlist. If I like a song that is playing I won't stop my workout. And for days when I'd rather watch netflix than run I'll walk at a quick pace and watch like two episodes of whatever show Im watching (right now I'm addicted to Friday Night Lights and each episode is about 40 minutes so I actually workout more when I take this option). Or for days when I really don't want to workout I look at pictures of pretty skinny girls and make myself hate me so much that I HAVE to workout
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    What seems to keep me into my workout is a really good workout playlist. If I like a song that is playing I won't stop my workout. And for days when I'd rather watch netflix than run I'll walk at a quick pace and watch like two episodes of whatever show Im watching (right now I'm addicted to Friday Night Lights and each episode is about 40 minutes so I actually workout more when I take this option). Or for days when I really don't want to workout I look at pictures of pretty skinny girls and make myself hate me so much that I HAVE to workout
    Likewise, when you get sick of a playlist it sucks. Ruins my workout mood, until I find another one that fits my mood better...
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I love working out (both cardio and weight training). I makes me feel good during and after. And it also helps you get the body you want. I can't imagine not enjoying it. But I have also had periods of my life where I stopped and just became lazy and gained weight. So when I have stayed active it was easy to keep it up. And when I've stopped it was easy to stop. But if I had to compare how my body felt, there is no comparison; exercising wins out.

I think attitude has a lot to do with whether a workout is tolerable or not. If all you can think about is that you hate it, then every second is going to be miserable. But if you do what some others have suggested (watch tv, listen to music, read, HIIT, etc.) it will help the time pass. When I first started doing cardio, years ago, I'd put a towel over the timer so that I wasn't fixated on the time. I felt time passed a lot faster. You could probably get away with 30 mins of cardio 3-5 times a week to ensure cardiovascular benefits. Even less if you do HIIT. Add variety to make it more interesting. For instance, if you do a stationary bike, do intervals where you pedal normally then really fast (alternate every minute). Or pedal on an easy resistance level for one minute and then on a hard level for one minute and keep alternating. Time goes "really fast" when you do that. Add a killer playlist and you will be done in no time.

You can choose to workout or not, it's up to you. But "how" you do it can make it a lot more bearable. Even on days when I'm tired, I get on my bike or elliptical or rower (or all three) and in a few minutes I'm totally energized and glad I did it. And knowing it's helping me achieve my goal (not just fat loss but also fitness) is gravy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey because I wanted my mobility back. It has been a delight to find the joy in exercise, and it's not what I thought. Instead of doing boring exercises waiting for it to be fun, I try many things. If I feel great doing it, I go back. I never thought I would do Yoga but it feels so good, I won't skip a class. I love Zumba, another keeper. Obviously joy, music, and movement is important to me.

After completing a three week treadmill challenge, I signed up for a 5 km fun walk. Did it, felt good. Signed up for another one. It was too easy. So I am taking a running class through the Running Room (C25K), halfway through, and my niece and I have signed up for a few more runs next year; a 10K run and a 6K Mud Hero obstacle challenge. Knowing these events are coming up drives me to prepare so I won't hurt myself. With the obstacle course coming up next summer, I know I will have to strengthen my upper body!

The other big surprise is how fast my body responds to new challenges. It only takes a few days to increase my strength and flexibility. I have been sedentary nearly my whole life. This discovery of strength is new and exciting.

Here is how I celebrated achieving a weight under 200 lbs:
    One-derland party.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Find an activity that doesn't feel like working out, or that you truly enjoy.

For me, those things include Zumba, Swimming, Walking a nice scenic path, and Hiking.

Sports are great for physical activity that's fun. Swimming too, depending on which kind you do. Zumba/Dancing... are all fun things.

You just gotta try different things and see which you like the most. You don't need much motivation for fun stuff... just sayin'. :)

I also get my cardio in doing things I enjoy. I take a water aerobics class 3 x a week and swim 45 minutes also 3 x a week. Sometimes I walk around my neighborhood or go on one of the many hiking trails we have.

Sounds boring :yawn:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I think most of us that love it - and by 'it' i mean the grind and hard work of our workouts, not the after effects - have been working out regularly for years now.

It's something you definitely grow into and develop a taste for, but only if you put in the time.

Good luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i have grown bored with lifting. staying in the same room for an hour is boring and unentertaining to me.

You're so fired.