225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Well, that was a dose of humility and what reasonable expectations are.

135 x 10
    185 x 6
    225 x 9

I didn't have anyone to ask for a spotter since the trainers were out and only cardio bunnies on the other side of the gym. I did consider using the power rack, but I didn't want to piss off the potential person who would have used it, and wouldn't you know a guy did walk in later. At this point I figured I do more sets.

225 x 7
    225 x 6
    225 x 5
    235 x 4
    245 x 2
    185 x 12

I still have so much further to go to match even a shade of my former strength.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Get a spotter, once you have to worry less about death, you might be able to rep more.

All in all, 9. Quit whining, that's bad *kitten*.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    9 is still great. What's better is that you did a lot of reps after that too of even heavier weight. I say good job and I'm sure your max is well over 275 now.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'm envious of the 245x2, that's so freaking hard.
  • accelerashawn
    Options
    I'm going for the 120's tonight on db incline...you've inspired me to lift bigger...lol
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    9X225 is good for a 300lb 1RM.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    you could have got 11 or 12 if you didn't do the other two sets first.
  • accelerashawn
    Options
    That's what i was thinking. 300-315ish
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Well, that was a dose of humility and what reasonable expectations are.

135 x 10
    185 x 6
    225 x 9

I didn't have anyone to ask for a spotter since the trainers were out and only cardio bunnies on the other side of the gym. I did consider using the power rack, but I didn't want to piss off the potential person who would have used it, and wouldn't you know a guy did walk in later. At this point I figured I do more sets.

225 x 7
    225 x 6
    225 x 5
    235 x 4
    245 x 2
    185 x 12

I still have so much further to go to match even a shade of my former strength.

That's pretty much what I'd expect, nice work. No need to be disappointed. My 1RM bench is slightly higher than yours, and I'm pondering trying 225 for reps next month. I expect to get 10 most likely so it's right there.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

I think you guys might be overestimating a bit on this one. The best site that I've found for these calculations is strstd.com and they say 9x225 is worth 289. Which I would agree with.
  • redfisher1974
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

I think you guys might be overestimating a bit on this one. The best site that I've found for these calculations is strstd.com and they say 9x225 is worth 289. Which I would agree with.

When my 1RM was 300 my 225 was 9 reps. everyone is different but I usually can add 75lbs to any weight I can hit 10 times
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I must be a *kitten* bell because my 1rm on bench is anywhere from 290-305lb depending on how hard and long I worked a particular day and I know I can pop 225lb for at least 10-11 with a couple in tank...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Some nice tonnage on the workout!
  • dbmata
    Options
    So, someone should have told me that bench pressing after two nights in a row of deadlifts would have been tough.

In fact, if I ever do that again, tell me to knock it off. ugh.

In other news, any good suggestions for handling blisters that explode while lifting? Staples? Duct tape? Epoxy? Digital removal?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    So, someone should have told me that bench pressing after two nights in a row of deadlifts would have been tough.

In other news, any good suggestions for handling blisters that explode while lifting? Staples? Duct tape? Epoxy? Digital removal?

Why would we warn you? I thought we were using you as an test subject. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You can use chalk to absorb the blood if you are the Heman type but there isn't much you can do other than wraps or gloves but they are still going to sting.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I think chalk might be the thing. Wearing a band aid while deadlifting felt... funky.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

Rub dirt on it and man up.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    I think chalk might be the thing. Wearing a band aid while deadlifting felt... funky.

Honestly, that liquid skin stuff actually works pretty well for stuff like this. Use two layers (at least). I've had it hold up pretty well through workouts.
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    If the gym is empty, you don´t need a spotter. Just let your right arm go down a little, and when the weights fall off be ready for the bar to go flying the other way. The real secret though is to be ready to run to a window and look outside when the staff comes running in.. pretend it was something from outside.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    PeteSede wrote: »
    If the gym is empty, you don´t need a spotter. Just let your right arm go down a little, and when the weights fall off be ready for the bar to go flying the other way. The real secret though is to be ready to run to a window and look outside when the staff comes running in.. pretend it was something from outside.

At my old gym, stuff like this was so common that no one would even flinch. Pretty amusing.