Options

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I test my 1RM every Sunday which is my rest day. If I hit it I add 5 lbs the next week.

not really much of a rest day if you're testing out a one rep max.

also testing that once a week is way over kill and will short circuit your long term training plans/gains.

Works for me. I also take Saturday off.

I'm not advising you to do anything. The two things I said are facts.

Testing 1rpm =/= rest day
    Testing 1 rpm weekly will stall your training.

You may chose to do whatever you wish with that information.
    But they are with out unquestionably true.

My training is fine, Thanks for your input.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I never implied that it wasn't.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    That it is.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka is correct about that. Testing your 1RM is really unnecessary every week - and I can't think of training methodology that would advocate that.

Curious,red fisher -- why do you test your 1RM every week? Is it just the big three lifts, or just the bench?
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    I never implied that it wasn't.

Cool, Have a great weekend! Time for me to hit the dungeon for squats and such.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Not that I think this is the right way but I do barbell lifts on heavy day and use dumbbells on light chest day.
    Alternately you could use those dumbbells as a pre-exhaust before going barbell - but you'd have to go lighter on the bench, then move to cables to extended work you put on your chest.
    That's currently what i do. incline db, flat bb, cables cables cables

I do zero cables. What's the benefit of them? I do flat bench, incline and maybe heavy dumbells. Light day is sometimes DB flat, DB incline, DB flys
  • dbmata
    Options
    Cable pull throughs for dat *kitten*.
    I forget what they're called but cable crossovers for chest.
    Cable face pulls for rear delts.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Not that I think this is the right way but I do barbell lifts on heavy day and use dumbbells on light chest day.
    Alternately you could use those dumbbells as a pre-exhaust before going barbell - but you'd have to go lighter on the bench, then move to cables to extended work you put on your chest.

I do zero cables. What's the benefit of them? I do flat bench, incline and maybe heavy dumbells. Light day is sometimes DB flat, DB incline, DB flys
    Depends on the program of course, but if hypertrophy is your aim, cables can be a way of putting some extra extra work on a muscle group since they isolate more and take less stabilizer-muscle to assist in the lift.
  • redfisher1974
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka is correct about that. Testing your 1RM is really unnecessary every week - and I can't think of training methodology that would advocate that.

Curious,red fisher -- why do you test your 1RM every week? Is it just the big three lifts, or just the bench?

I like the feel of the heavy lift, And its just the bench as I broke my back and knee so I cant lift a lot on the other big lifts. I was up to 300lbs before my accident and had to start over with empty bar and now back to 275 with no stalls. I was 210lbs when I went in the hospital for 21 days and came out at 150 lbs!!!!

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I prefer doing cable work for some of my chest lifts- I have bad elbows and dumbbells can really eff them up- I can push a little harder on cables- i realize it isn't a direct cross over for strength- but it works for me. But- after I did the Sheikio programs- had me flat out benching 3 days a week- my eblow has actually gotten better- so I've drifted away from them- but I like them.

They make me happy- cable fly's are my dirty little secret- I feel awesome- love the results- and plus bonus with rage face beast mode while doing them. What's not to love?
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Depends on the program of course, but if hypertrophy is your aim, cables can be a way of putting some extra extra work on a muscle group since they isolate more and take less stabilizer-muscle to assist in the lift.
    I like the cables cuz they pull your arms apart as opposed to the db or bb pushing your arms down. It's just a different way to hit the muscle. I also like to do it cuz my arms and shoulders look shredded while i do them...if i'm honest...haha
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • dbmata
    Options
    I need to work on rage face. Right now it's more like Austin Powers getting off face.
  • civilizedworm
    Options

I like the feel of the heavy lift, And its just the bench as I broke my back and knee so I cant lift a lot on the other big lifts. I was up to 300lbs before my accident and had to start over with empty bar and now back to 275 with no stalls. I was 210lbs when I went in the hospital for 21 days and came out a 150 lbs!!!!
    Essentially, you are benching twice a week so the 1RM test day on the bench is not really a rest day - it functions as a heavy day. ( I guess.) Still confuses my why you need to max out once a week in order to reach your goal of 300lbs.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Never said i had to, I just like doing it!
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I need to work on rage face. Right now it's more like Austin Powers getting off face.
    Are you sure you ain't this guy?
    o-face.jpg
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Hit 10 reps at 135lbs half an hour ago :) I've never done my 1RM but now I'm curious - I don't lift weights often though (other than lifting my body weight upside down)

Very nice!
  • dbmata
    Options
    No, he looks to be having more fun than me. Even if it ain't Lumberg.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Hit 10 reps at 135lbs half an hour ago :) I've never done my 1RM but now I'm curious - I don't lift weights often though (other than lifting my body weight upside down)

Thats awesome! great lifts.

• civilizedworm
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    No, he looks to be having more fun than me. Even if it ain't Lumberg.
    Oh... well.... you might need this then at the gym.
    28.jpg