TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    gym-o.gif

love it
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I want to start training flat bench again cuz i feel stupid when i incline press 100lb dumbbells but completely suck *kitten* at flat barbell press...haha. barbell is supposed to be easier!

I think I need to relearn the motion i guess. 225 still feels light in my hands but I just can't seem to get it more than 2 or 3 times now.

I know a guy that's skinny as hell and looks like he has no muscle. but he could barbell bench about 315 for 1 or 2. He mentioned he was impressed with me doing 85lb dumbbells and I was like wtf? Dude, you bench 315. He said yes but he literally had trouble with even the 50lb dumbbells. Really odd
    they are totally different experiences... I like the dumbbells cuz they take so much more control and coordination. Especially if you pick them up yourself and don't throw them to the ground afterwards.

I figured that working on the dumbbell press would shoot my barbell figures up...not the case tho. I started working the flat barbell back in though so maybe I can get my high scores back...lol
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Just for reference on muscle fatigue here is a good link for all the known factorshttps://www.inkling.com/read/medical-physiology-boron-boulpaep-2nd/chapter-60/muscle-fatigue.
    That's awesomely interesting! After reading some of that, I feel like I should apologize to my body.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I want to start training flat bench again cuz i feel stupid when i incline press 100lb dumbbells but completely suck *kitten* at flat barbell press...haha. barbell is supposed to be easier!

I think I need to relearn the motion i guess. 225 still feels light in my hands but I just can't seem to get it more than 2 or 3 times now.

I know a guy that's skinny as hell and looks like he has no muscle. but he could barbell bench about 315 for 1 or 2. He mentioned he was impressed with me doing 85lb dumbbells and I was like wtf? Dude, you bench 315. He said yes but he literally had trouble with even the 50lb dumbbells. Really odd
    they are totally different experiences... I like the dumbbells cuz they take so much more control and coordination. Especially if you pick them up yourself and don't throw them to the ground afterwards.

I figured that working on the dumbbell press would shoot my barbell figures up...not the case tho. I started working the flat barbell back in though so maybe I can get my high scores back...lol

The db press is much better for that development - and I wouldn't push it aside entirely; hit it on the head with the control and coordination. My humble opinion, a superior workout for the chest but again I wouldn't trade one for the other.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I test my 1RM every Sunday which is my rest day. If I hit it I add 5 lbs the next week.

not really much of a rest day if you're testing out a one rep max.

also testing that once a week is way over kill and will short circuit your long term training plans/gains.
  • taryn_caitlin
    taryn_caitlin Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hit 10 reps at 135lbs half an hour ago :) I've never done my 1RM but now I'm curious - I don't lift weights often though (other than lifting my body weight upside down)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Just for reference on muscle fatigue here is a good link for all the known factorshttps://www.inkling.com/read/medical-physiology-boron-boulpaep-2nd/chapter-60/muscle-fatigue.
    That's awesomely interesting! After reading some of that, I feel like I should apologize to my body.

Lol I feel I should apologize for the years I took off and got fat and obese for a short period.! It likes to punish me still for that. ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Whoa, dark horse coming in with big lift. Good work taryn.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Hit 10 reps at 135lbs half an hour ago :) I've never done my 1RM but now I'm curious - I don't lift weights often though (other than lifting my body weight upside down)
    Thank you for making seem less crazy with the 135 thing.

Nice job!
  • accelerashawn
    Options

The db press is much better for that development - and I wouldn't push it aside entirely; hit it on the head with the control and coordination. My humble opinion, a superior workout for the chest but again I wouldn't trade one for the other.
    I whole-heartedly agree. No way i'm gonna stop with the dumbbells...i think its fun to grab the big ones and wobble over to the bench and incline press them, slowly drop them back to my knees...and wobble back over to the rack. I just started doing the flat barbell for a couple sets after the incline db to see if i could get my numbers back close to where they were...then again i don't really care about numbers...lol I just like pushing weight!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Not that I think this is the right way but I do barbell lifts on heavy day and use dumbbells on light chest day.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Not that I think this is the right way but I do barbell lifts on heavy day and use dumbbells on light chest day.

If it's working for you who is to say it isn't?
  • accelerashawn
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

If it's working for you who is to say it isn't?
    Yeah...its all correct as long as your form is correct...and even if your form sucks you're still working something...haha. (dont have bad form...injury sucks)
  • civilizedworm
    Options

Lol I feel I should apologize for the years I took off and got fat and obese for a short period.! It likes to punish me still for that. ;)
    Yeah me too. Wasted some really good years of my life on my butt.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I test my 1RM every Sunday which is my rest day. If I hit it I add 5 lbs the next week.

also testing that once a week is way over kill and will short circuit your long term training plans/gains.

Works for me. I also take Saturday off.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Alternately you could use those dumbbells as a pre-exhaust before going barbell - but you'd have to go lighter on the bench, then move to cables to extended work you put on your chest.
  • dbmata
    Options

Yeah me too. Wasted some really good years of my life on my butt.

same... so now I pay the penance.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'm not advising you to do anything. The two things I said are facts.

Testing 1rpm =/= rest day
    Testing 1 rpm weekly will stall your training.

You may chose to do whatever you wish with that information.
    But they are with out unquestionably true.
  • accelerashawn
    Options
    Alternately you could use those dumbbells as a pre-exhaust before going barbell - but you'd have to go lighter on the bench, then move to cables to extended work you put on your chest.
    That's currently what i do. incline db, flat bb, cables cables cables
  • dbmata
    Options

I'm not advising you to do anything. The two things I said are facts.

Testing 1rpm =/= rest day
    Testing 1 rpm weekly will stall your training.

You may chose to do whatever you wish with that information.
    But they are with out unquestionably true.

Especially testing deadlift... I couldn't imagine doing that weekly.