225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I suspect 135 would be high for a woman.

I can rep out probably 10 at that weight- I don't do high rep ANYWAY- so repping anything out on bench kills me. I've done 95 for like 15 something and got shakey doing it.

I think realistically 115 for a challenge would be solid. 95 just feels like it's a bit too light- and 135 is just going to be to heavy.

It seems for women failure comes VERY quickly on bench- you feel fine you feel fine you feel fine- everything's solid and goes up super easily- then it's sudden failure with the addition of like 5 pounds.

it's weird- and wildly annoying.

FWIW, this is true in men too. I fail unexpectedly on bench all the time. In fact, I would say I'm close to 50% failure rate on my last rep on bench, because judging failure rate is surprisingly difficult. Same goes for OHP really. I can do a 1RM with a heavy weight and it goes smoothly, add 5lbs and I might as well have added 500lbs because that shiz ain't going nowhere.

Alternatively, I know exactly when I've just done my last rep with DL or squat.

I don't understand it but this happens to me to. I'll go through few sets just fine and i'll hit this point where my body just says it will not lift ANYTHING further. Happens in every muscle group at the strangest times. Last night I was on back/bi and I was finishing up. Started on 155 on BB curls: 155*5, 135*5, 115*8, 95*2 and my body just said F you and would not lift the weight another inch... It's getting annoying
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this program then try for 300lb 1RM

Week One 5 sets of 10 reps at 60% of 1RM 162 lbs
    Week Two 5 sets of 8 reps at 65% of 1RM 175.5 lbs
    Week Three Five sets of 5 reps at 70% of 1RM 189 lbs
    Week Four 5 sets of 3 reps at 75% of 1RM 202.5 lbs
    Week Five 5 sets of 10 reps at 60% of 1RM 162 lbs
    Week Six 5 sets of 8 reps at 70% of 1RM 189 lbs
    Week Seven 5 sets of 5 reps at 75% of 1RM 202.5 lbs
    Week Eight 5 sets of 3 reps at 80% of 1RM 216 lbs
    Week Nine 5 sets of 10 reps at 60% of 1RM 162 lbs
    Week Ten 4 sets of 8 reps at 75% of 1RM 202.5 lbs
    Week Eleven 4 sets of 5 reps at 80% of 1RM 216 lbs
    Week Twelve 4 sets of 3 reps at 85% of 1RM 229.5 lbs
    Week Thirteen 5 sets of 10 reps at 60% of 1RM 162 lbs
    Week Fourteen 3 sets of 8 reps at 80% of 1RM 216 lbs
    Week Fifteen 3 sets of 5 reps at 85% of 1RM 229.5 lbs
    Week Sixteen 3 sets of 3 reps at 90% of 1RM 243 lbs
  • redfisher1974
    Options

I can rep out probably 10 at that weight- I don't do high rep ANYWAY- so repping anything out on bench kills me. I've done 95 for like 15 something and got shakey doing it.

I think realistically 115 for a challenge would be solid. 95 just feels like it's a bit too light- and 135 is just going to be to heavy.

It seems for women failure comes VERY quickly on bench- you feel fine you feel fine you feel fine- everything's solid and goes up super easily- then it's sudden failure with the addition of like 5 pounds.

FWIW, this is true in men too. I fail unexpectedly on bench all the time. In fact, I would say I'm close to 50% failure rate on my last rep on bench, because judging failure rate is surprisingly difficult. Same goes for OHP really. I can do a 1RM with a heavy weight and it goes smoothly, add 5lbs and I might as well have added 500lbs because that shiz ain't going nowhere.

I don't understand it but this happens to me to. I'll go through few sets just fine and i'll hit this point where my body just says it will not lift ANYTHING further. Happens in every muscle group at the strangest times. Last night I was on back/bi and I was finishing up. Started on 155 on BB curls: 155*5, 135*5, 115*8, 95*2 and my body just said F you and would not lift the weight another inch... It's getting annoying

155lbs on barbell curls is sick!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options

Lifting for 12 years with 6/7 of them being a middle/highschool twerp that focused on nothing but biceps, bench press, abs and leg press will do that... dropping a few hundred a month into supps didn't hurt either (which I would NEVER recommend!) I digress... How am I able to lift that, but when I drop 60lbs, I can't do *kitten*?
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Cool, I did a few cycles back in the day. Just D-Bol pills, I was curling 135lbs which felt good. I would try it again but at 40 now with a growing family its not realistic...
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    I digress... How am I able to lift that, but when I drop 60lbs, I can't do *kitten*?

Strange indeed, But really weight is a means to no end. I figure as long as you lift regardless of the weight until you fail then that's all that matters....
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Lifting for 12 years with 6/7 of them being a middle/highschool twerp that focused on nothing but biceps, bench press, abs and leg press will do that... dropping a few hundred a month into supps didn't hurt either (which I would NEVER recommend!) I digress... How am I able to lift that, but when I drop 60lbs, I can't do *kitten*?

The likely reason is you are employing small muscle groups and seriously depleting your ATP, creatine, and glycogen plus building up hydrogen in the muscle, which means your muscles are deciding they've had enough by the time you hit your last set. Your time under tension by the time you hit your 95lb set is pretty long so this isn't unexpected.

ETA and of course, you are hitting your biceps a lot with your back so this just increases the work by the biceps by the time you get to this last set.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    edited November 2014
    Options

The likely reason is you are employing small muscle groups and seriously depleting your ATP, creatine, and glycogen plus building up hydrogen in the muscle, which means your muscles are deciding they've had enough by the time you hit your last set. Your time under tension by the time you hit your 95lb set is pretty long so this isn't unexpected.

ETA and of course, you are hitting your biceps a lot with your back so this just increases the work by the biceps by the time you get to this last set.

That does make sense. However, I run into this all the time even in between exerciese. For example, I'll start on flat bench with this occurring on the last set. I'll move over to my db incline, and I can lift as normal not 2 minutes later. If all my energy was depleting, I shouldn't be able to go hard on subsequent exercises... should I?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2014
    Options

That does make sense. However, I run into this all the time even in between exerciese. For example, I'll start on flat bench with this occurring on the last set. I'll move over to my db incline, and I can lift as normal not 2 minutes later. If all my energy was depleting, I shouldn't be able to go hard on subsequent exercises... should I?

A lot of the above is more of a localized effect rather than systemic and this is why supersets and circuits are very effective training methods. Once you've moved on to another muscle group and come back you will have replenished some of the energy and flushed out the H+ ions. Since smaller muscles fatigue faster you will probably notice that declines take out the triceps from the bench group and put more emphasis on shoulders so this will likely explain the difference between those exercises. When you move to declines you should still feel like your triceps are weaker but don't interfer as much. Next time try an experiment where you move from bench to a triceps isolation exercise that you would normally perform later in the routine and see what differences you notice.

Also, got the concentrations backwards it should be more tri less shoulders in decline. I'm at work so was a little rushed. If you reverse the order of bench and decline you should also notice an obese in decline and decrease in flat strength and reps.

A lot of the above is more of a localized effect rather than systemic and this is why supersets and circuits are very effective training methods. Once you've moved on to another muscle group and come back you will have replenished some of the energy and flushed out the H+ ions. Since smaller muscles fatigue faster you will probably notice that declines take out the triceps from the bench group and put more emphasis on shoulders so this will likely explain the difference between those exercises. When you move to declines you should still feel like your triceps are weaker but don't interfer as much. Next time try an experiment where you move from bench to a triceps isolation exercise that you would normally perform later in the routine and see what differences you notice.

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    I'm just over 5 months into lifting with SL5x5 (never touched a free weight seriously before that). When I tested my 1RM after the first three months I was at 235 bench, 365 squat, 385 DL. After that I dropped everything back down and started the linear progression again and am up to a 200 5x5 bench, 300 3x5 squat and 360 1x5 DL. Have 3 weeks left on this rotation and then I'll test 1RMs again just before christmas. Looking for a 245+ bench, 400+ squat and 420+ DL at a BW of 185 and BF% of around 17%.

I would love to be able to do 225 for reps. I might be able to get 2 right now.

I look forward to reading how you do (if I catch your post); maybe PM me when you get the results. I rarely work in the 5 rep range and prefer the 10-12 reps; it just takes so much toll on my joints to use those lower reps.

I read that if you try to add 5 lbs per week to your lifts, that might work to allow your tendons and connective tissue to adapt. At a certain point, you might only want to increase by that amount every few weeks. Good luck.

I've already seen a big difference in my joints from my first round to this one. My elbow tendons would just ache and I really think that was as much of the reason for failing on my bench pressing as anything. This time around it's felt a lot better.

I've also had to modify my squats as they were just becoming to taxing. Once I hit 250 or so I dropped it down from 5x5 to 3x5 and then just the last couple weeks when I was coming up on 300 I had to go to a heavy set Monday, 5x5 225 on Wednesday and then heavy again on Friday. These last three weeks I'm actually reducing it again to 275 3x5 monday, 225 5x5 wednesday and then add my 5 pounds on friday. That should get me to a full 3 plate, 315 3x5 on my last day of this round. My max squat the first time around was 280 3x5 and when I tested my 1RM was surprised to his 365 and though I might have had a little more in the tank if I would have started testing at a higher level.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I digress... How am I able to lift that, but when I drop 60lbs, I can't do *kitten*?

Strange indeed, But really weight is a means to no end. I figure as long as you lift regardless of the weight until you fail then that's all that matters....
    Because you're tired.

My workout yesterday, my warmup set was 30 reps of 205# bench, I got 18 in, had to rack and rest a minute, got another 10, and my coach had to help with lock out of the last two. I then laddered down until the last set. 65#, 30 reps. Rep 22 or 23, I can't remember which but it was hellish feeling, I got the bar to my chest, and it wouldn't rise up, at all. 65 pounds. Then I got down to do a set of 20 pushups (I was doing those for rest between bench sets.), and nothing doing. I dropped on my face on my second pushup.

I did get 18 reps at 205. Not bad for my tiny *kitten* arms.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    A lot of the above is more of a localized effect rather than systemic and this is why supersets and circuits are very effective training methods. Once you've moved on to another muscle group and come back you will have replenished some of the energy and flushed out the H+ ions.

It's also worth noting that we synthesize ATP at a ridiculously fast rate. I was at a talk where Ron Vale was discussing how on average we generate over 200kg of ATP per day but from reading I've done in the past I've read we only have about 60gr worth of ATP at any given time. So we're converting ADP to ATP at a constant, and ridiculously high rate.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    A lot of the above is more of a localized effect rather than systemic and this is why supersets and circuits are very effective training methods. Once you've moved on to another muscle group and come back you will have replenished some of the energy and flushed out the H+ ions.

It's also worth noting that we synthesize ATP at a ridiculously fast rate. I was at a talk where Ron Vale was discussing how on average we generate over 200kg of ATP per day but from reading I've done in the past I've read we only have about 60gr worth of ATP at any given time. So we're converting ADP to ATP at a constant, and ridiculously high rate.

True, every molecule of glucose creates, in theory, 38 net ATP molecules. That's a ton but fatigue is often attriubted more by the build up of H+ ions rather than the ATP depletion but muscle fatigue is a facinating and rather large area of study.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Because you're tired.

My workout yesterday, my warmup set was 30 reps of 205# bench, I got 18 in, had to rack and rest a minute, got another 10, and my coach had to help with lock out of the last two. I then laddered down until the last set. 65#, 30 reps. Rep 22 or 23, I can't remember which but it was hellish feeling, I got the bar to my chest, and it wouldn't rise up, at all. 65 pounds. Then I got down to do a set of 20 pushups (I was doing those for rest between bench sets.), and nothing doing. I dropped on my face on my second pushup.

I did get 18 reps at 205. Not bad for my tiny *kitten* arms.

The 18 total at 205 is impressive! I am so curious as to what I will accomplish next week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Those are two very very intersesting posts.

Thanks for taking the time both of you- I never research stuff like that- because honestly I'm lazy and probably to busy beading- or lifting. (I know I'm weird) regardless- useful stuff.
    -
    for realz.
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Carbon exchange along the ATP Krebs cycle made my head spin in college. I guess that's why I largely remained an art and design major.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Carbon exchange along the ATP Krebs cycle made my head spin in college. I guess that's why I largely remained an art and design major.

LOL, fortunately I only had to take a few courses for my neuro psych/neuro science degree. Too much bio or orgo is enough to give you nightmares for life!
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options

LOL, fortunately I only had to take a few courses for my neuro psych/neuro science degree. Too much bio or orgo is enough to give you nightmares for life!
    I didn't even go as deeply as you did. This was 15 years ago and I took Exercise & Physiology, an anatomy class, and something else - don't even remember. I wanted to graduate with my BFA (which I did) and get a PT certificate - just never got back to that.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I didn't even go as deeply as you did. This was 15 years ago and I took Exercise & Physiology, an anatomy class, and something else - don't even remember. I wanted to graduate with my BFA (which I did) and get a PT certificate - just never got back to that.

Looking back I would have loved to have majored in exercise physiology and kinesiology but ended up going into software engineer for a second degree. Ahh, but what could have been! :D
  • civilizedworm
    Options

Looking back I would have loved to have majored in exercise physiology and kinesiology but ended up going into software engineer for a second degree. Ahh, but what could have been! :D

I see we are about the same age. Yeah, no kidding, right? At one time I was so knowledgable in all this stuff, but no longer. Hate that. I've been finding that a lot of what I knew about exercise and physiology is out of date, was inaccurate, or just wrong - so I am learning all over again. Kinda neat, but kinda depressing.