225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    interested to see how you do. Looks like I could play in the NBA then (if I was like 2 foot taller lol)

NBA players have significantly longer arms so they don't have good leverage to do a high weight bench press. Monta Ellis and Kevin Durant are two super star talents that can't bench 185 even once.

What... there are football players that are 6'7" and taller, they have long arms too. A buddy I played high school with played in the NFL for a bit and hit 225 for 32 reps, though he was 6'7" 320, not 200lbs like NBA players of the same height.

Hmm, no. Calvin Johnson who has a 6'10 wingspan. J.J. Watt has a 6'10 wingspan. Those seem to be two of the biggest I can find. Durant has a 7'4 wingspan. Andre Drummond has a 7'6 wingspan. Anthony Davis has a 7'7 wingspan. Wilt Chamberlain had a 7'8 wingspan.

There is a very noticeable difference in body structures between the NFL and NBA.
    This got me curious, so I measured my wingspan at my office - may not be entirely accurate but close.

About 72" (aka 6 feet.)

Does this qualify my arms as stubby? Will I ever play in the NBA?

Nate Robinson made it, but he has a 35.5 inch standing vert jump and a 44 inch running jump...
    I could do that on a trampoline perhaps maybe.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    interested to see how you do. Looks like I could play in the NBA then (if I was like 2 foot taller lol)

NBA players have significantly longer arms so they don't have good leverage to do a high weight bench press. Monta Ellis and Kevin Durant are two super star talents that can't bench 185 even once.

What... there are football players that are 6'7" and taller, they have long arms too. A buddy I played high school with played in the NFL for a bit and hit 225 for 32 reps, though he was 6'7" 320, not 200lbs like NBA players of the same height.

Hmm, no. Calvin Johnson who has a 6'10 wingspan. J.J. Watt has a 6'10 wingspan. Those seem to be two of the biggest I can find. Durant has a 7'4 wingspan. Andre Drummond has a 7'6 wingspan. Anthony Davis has a 7'7 wingspan. Wilt Chamberlain had a 7'8 wingspan.

There is a very noticeable difference in body structures between the NFL and NBA.
    This got me curious, so I measured my wingspan at my office - may not be entirely accurate but close.

About 72" (aka 6 feet.)

Does this qualify my arms as stubby? Will I ever play in the NBA?

Nate Robinson made it, but he has a 35.5 inch standing vert jump and a 44 inch running jump...
    I could do that on a trampoline perhaps maybe.

I would need a crane at the very least.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Since I broke my back and had a knee scope done I have not had both my feet off the ground at the same time in 2 years....Maybe time to try some jumps...lol
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    We had a high school football combine before my senior year of high school and I got 185 22-25 times (10 years ago, memory is foggy). At that time, my bench max was 365 with what amounted to terrible form since we were never really taught how to perform the movement in the best possible manner.

Since I started lifting again, my bench has gotten to 385. I tested 185 after doing that for AMRAP (As many reps as possible) and I hit 20 and stopped. I have done 225 for 16-18 reps before with maybe one or two left in the tank.

A lot of the numbers you see coming out of the combine are not what these guys are doing everyday. Once they finish their final season, they begin training for these test. This is their job interview and millions of dollars are on the line based on how they perform. They put months of time into training specifically for these test so they get a few more reps out of it than they would coming into it with no event specific training. Not to say that they aren't strong, they have to learn the best way to utilize their strength for the task at hand.

The correlation of 1rm to rep max depends on your normal training style as well as how your body utilizes your strength and stamina to perform the test. Someone with exactly the same numbers as you may not perform the exact same number of reps for those reasons.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    We had a high school football combine before my senior year of high school and I got 185 22-25 times (10 years ago, memory is foggy). At that time, my bench max was 365 with what amounted to terrible form since we were never really taught how to perform the movement in the best possible manner.

Since I started lifting again, my bench has gotten to 385. I tested 185 after doing that for AMRAP (As many reps as possible) and I hit 20 and stopped. I have done 225 for 16-18 reps before with maybe one or two left in the tank.

A lot of the numbers you see coming out of the combine are not what these guys are doing everyday. Once they finish their final season, they begin training for these test. This is their job interview and millions of dollars are on the line based on how they perform. They put months of time into training specifically for these test so they get a few more reps out of it than they would coming into it with no event specific training. Not to say that they aren't strong, they have to learn the best way to utilize their strength for the task at hand.

The correlation of 1rm to rep max depends on your normal training style as well as how your body utilizes your strength and stamina to perform the test. Someone with exactly the same numbers as you may not perform the exact same number of reps for those reasons.

Great info thanks!
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Hey thanks for that... and that something I did not know that aspiring professional football athletes specifically train to impress with as many reps at the combine. I didn't play sports in high school so I really don't have that background. I skated and snowboarded and had goofy haircuts.
    Good point too.
    Those numbers are titanic! Nice!

I am willing to wager that your squat and deadlift have to be somewhere over four hondo approaching five?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I did not read the whole thread, I just know that the number of times one can bench 225 does not always correlate into a particular 1 RM. I lifted with guys who could equal or even out rep me by 1-2 at lower weights yet my max was 40# higher than theirs.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I did not read the whole thread, I just know that the number of times one can bench 225 does not always correlate into a particular 1 RM. I lifted with guys who could equal or even out rep me by 1-2 at lower weights yet my max was 40# higher than theirs.
    Yep, we are not discussing 1RM.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Just gave this a try and I barely made it through 7. My 1RM is about 285lb.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

That's very respectable.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I only got it 5 times :sad:
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Sweet. As Wheels said, very respectable.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks! But I'll be satisfied when my 1RM is 405!
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Nothing to be ashamed of. I checked my last 1RM test day - three months ago (and the first time in, at least 7 years), and I only did 3 but I stopped prematurely since I was trying to save as much potential for heavier lifts. I had several warm-ups before that so, who knows.

Planning on testing on Wednesday next week.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    I hear you there. I'll be happy when I can reach 315 for my 1RM once agin.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options

My brother is 11 years older then I, and hit 455 a few months back and hasn't let me forget since... I will will not let him bench more for long!

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

My brother is 11 years older then I, and hit 455 a few months back and hasn't let me forget since... I will will not let him bench more for long!

Your 11 year old brother benches 455? Light weight. :|
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Nothing to be ashamed of. I checked my last 1RM test day - three months ago (and the first time in, at least 7 years), and I only did 3 but I stopped prematurely since I was trying to save as much potential for heavier lifts. I had several warm-ups before that so, who knows.

I guess since my pec tore on 190x5.
  • civilizedworm
    Options

Yeah I read that. How do you safeguard against in the future? I can only imagine the rehab/pain you've gone through. Sucks.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Yeah I read that. How do you safeguard against in the future? I can only imagine the rehab/pain you've gone through. Sucks.

I narrowed my grip. I use to always flare my elbows at 90 degrees and not round 45. I used to bring the bar down too high up closer to my neck and not abs. I had bad form plus a recurring high school shoulder injury. Doctor said it was bound to happen since I touch my chest on bench. Hah a lot of scare tissue he made claims to have to really put the muscle to connect it during surgery.