225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have a competitive raw bench when compared with state records in my own state and the surrounding states, but I am nowhere near a person who would place nationally. I could do 105 for 20 probably.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Despite the fact that I can go for reps at 60kg, I think this thread is just a bit too douchey for me.

35777991.jpg

PrestigiousGargantuanCrownofthornsstarfish.gif

What an odd post, talking about bench press in the Fitness&Exercise forum is douchey? This is the least douchey thread I've read all day. Weird.

Maybe they got intimidated and were looking for the lunk alarm.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hmm my max in recent history was about 275 so I'm gonna guess you get 225x6-7 (that's what I did at the time).
    That probably want I will end up doing, might even make it to 10 reps - my 20 prediction maybe an example of "eyes bigger than my stomach."
    Going for 300 in about a month, wish me luck too.
    Sweet! Let us know how you do! My all time was 315 when I was 25, I do want to hit that 315 again and I am thinking sometime this winter.

I'm going to go back to my old linear program of 4x8 increase by 10 over the winter to help me reach that 315 number again - probably just 8 or 10 weeks of that.
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a competitive raw bench when compared with state records in my own state and the surrounding states, but I am nowhere near a person who would place nationally. I could do 105 for 20 probably.
    That sounds awesome to me. You should try it.

Currently I am doing some high volume training 10 sets of 10 at 60% of my 1RM and I am in the last week of that thankfully. It's a killer but you feel pretty pumped after that.

But really Kelly, I had no idea what is possible for women to lift since I am a solo lifter at global gyms historically where the ladies usually do not lift (and shame on them) and I am not a personal trainer either. The only thing I was aware of is YouTube videos lady record holders pressing impressive weights.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Despite the fact that I can go for reps at 60kg, I think this thread is just a bit too douchey for me.

35777991.jpg

What an odd post, talking about bench press in the Fitness&Exercise forum is douchey? This is the least douchey thread I've read all day. Weird.

lol.

It's too bad that instead of reacting for whatever reason, she could have corrected me on what a reasonable expectation of what women can lift. She failed at an opportunity to educate someone.

Le sigh.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

35777991.jpg

lol.

It's too bad that instead of reacting for whatever reason, she could have corrected me on what a reasonable expectation of what women can lift. She failed at an opportunity to educate someone.

Le sigh.

It would be interesting to see where she could do a 25 rep set since reps at 60KG is strong.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    as a potential measuring stick, check out how crossfit scales 225(m). You'll see any where from 135-165, depending on movement.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    interested to see how you do. Looks like I could play in the NBA then (if I was like 2 foot taller lol)

NBA players have significantly longer arms so they don't have good leverage to do a high weight bench press. Monta Ellis and Kevin Durant are two super star talents that can't bench 185 even once.

What... there are football players that are 6'7" and taller, they have long arms too. A buddy I played high school with played in the NFL for a bit and hit 225 for 32 reps, though he was 6'7" 320, not 200lbs like NBA players of the same height.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My max right now is 275, And I tried 225 last night and got 5 reps, Seems about right as before I had my car accident I was hitting 300 for 1 and 225 for 9. I tell you it was tough going from 300 to empty bar then 2 years to get back to 275...
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    So, when are you trying this? Any updates?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    as a potential measuring stick, check out how crossfit scales 225(m). You'll see any where from 135-165, depending on movement.

Do you have a link to those scales?
  • redfisher1974
    edited November 2014
    Options
    strengthlevel.com/

strengthlevel.com/table.php

Some charts to check your bench
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OP; with your weight to height ratio it appears you are pushing near 1.5x your body weight on bench - nothing to scoff at! And if your like me - then age does play a factor. I put myself in the same boat as most - I hate my bench. Good luck on reaching your next goal.

correction; weight to strength ratio - sorry, on my 1st cup of coffee
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Wheel - i think from Crossfit Football and from elsewhere across the crossfit intertubes. redf's strength level scales would also work.

• redfisher1974
    Options
    1.5 x body-weight is also a good standard. I'm at 1.42 and closing in.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    strengthlevel.com/

Thanks! :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    My max right now is 275, And I tried 225 last night and got 5 reps, Seems about right as before I had my car accident I was hitting 300 for 1 and 225 for 9. I tell you it was tough going from 300 to empty bar then 2 years to get back to 275...

Same story for me except tore my pec on the bench press. Then took 17 months from day of surgery to complete the workout that tore it.

• Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Wheel - i think from Crossfit Football and from elsewhere across the crossfit intertubes. redf's strength level scales would also work.

Good references to have. I've seen Rippetoe's charts and they are probably pretty similar but I'll have to go searching for those again. I think Rip's are a little more stringent since they are geared to powerlifters. On the CF I get Advanced but I think I'm still Intermediate on Rip's charts IIRC. I'll have to check and compare.

ETA Update: Found the standard charts here http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html . Pretty similar but a little higher bar it seems. Wonder what the data pool they used to standardize each was since that will likely be the reason for the difference.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    So, when are you trying this? Any updates?
    I won't try this until middle of next week sometime after I finish this program. Next week is an off week before I embark on a (new) old one. I'll report back, but I've already lowered my expectations.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    strengthlevel.com/

That's a handy tool. Says at my current weight and what I pressed it was 1.4. I checked it again when I was 25 at 185 and my 1RM was 315 I pressed 1.7 times my weight. Neat.

I've booked marked this next to my other tools folder.