225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    well... there you go, its really more of a test for elite athletes. congratulations lol :) I mean that of course.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Isn't the 225 rep max one of the Combine stat?

Yes. That's why I thought I test it.

Yeah I guess your weight and height might be similar to some nfl prospects but I'm not even close!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Despite the fact that I can go for reps at 60kg, I think this thread is just a bit too douchey for me.

35777991.jpg
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Wow, 225x20? You must have a pretty strong bench. I'm assuming somewhere in the 335-350lb range?
    Last time I checked I could bench 275 for 1. My all time is 315, but that was 20 years ago.

Maybe that's a little high? I don't know, still want to test 225. I probably should shove that number in a one rep calculator and see what it says for the relative rep ranges.
    For a woman, 135 might be a little heavy as a comparison. Maybe 10-20lbs lighter than that I'm guessing.
    Yeah, I was just reading (browsing) the "Ladies what you bench" thread and not many were near that.

Hopefully I can be enlightened on what is reasonable rep max rep at which weight for women is.

Funny, My all time high is 315 and my current 1rm is 275. I can hit 225 about 10-12 times.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    well... there you go, its really more of a test for elite athletes. congratulations lol :) I mean that of course.
    You see where I am going with it. Cool.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

225 is NFL combine, 185 is NBA combine.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Wow, 225x20? You must have a pretty strong bench. I'm assuming somewhere in the 335-350lb range?
    Last time I checked I could bench 275 for 1. My all time is 315, but that was 20 years ago.

Maybe that's a little high? I don't know, still want to test 225. I probably should shove that number in a one rep calculator and see what it says for the relative rep ranges.
    For a woman, 135 might be a little heavy as a comparison. Maybe 10-20lbs lighter than that I'm guessing.
    Yeah, I was just reading (browsing) the "Ladies what you bench" thread and not many were near that.

Hopefully I can be enlightened on what is reasonable rep max rep at which weight for women is.

Funny, My all time high is 315 and my current 1rm is 275. I can hit 225 about 10-12 times.
    Hmmm... that's good to know. I guess 20 is not very realistic and the last 6 weeks I've been high volume training.

I hate lowering expectations, but I am still going to test my 225 anyway - at least to know.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Despite the fact that I can go for reps at 60kg, I think this thread is just a bit too douchey for me.

35777991.jpg

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    20x225 sounds like a much higher 1RM than 275. I've been up as high as 365, and not sure I could hit 20 at 225 ever (not that I care, high reps are for people who hate their muscles anyway).
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    interested to see how you do. Looks like I could play in the NBA then (if I was like 2 foot taller lol)
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Maurice Clarett's 1rm was around 405 and he could barely hit 225X20
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options

225 is NFL combine, 185 is NBA combine.
    Thanks for the information. I didn't play sports in HS, I skated and snowboarded.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    interested to see how you do. Looks like I could play in the NBA then (if I was like 2 foot taller lol)

NBA players have significantly longer arms so they don't have good leverage to do a high weight bench press. Monta Ellis and Kevin Durant are two super star talents that can't bench 185 even once.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Maurice Clarett's 1rm was around 405 and he could barely hit 225X20
    Thanks, no way I'd hit 225x20 then.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    When I last benched 275 my 225 was about 8 or 9 on my 3rd set of the pyramid on rep workouts. If you can do 225 I tip my hat to you! :D
  • uconnwinsnc1
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

NBA players have significantly longer arms so they don't have good leverage to do a high weight bench press. Monta Ellis and Kevin Durant are two super star talents that can't bench 185 even once.

excellent point
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thanks for that.

Actually, coming off this high volume program may be a good time to test it after all.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Good luck! hit it and let us know.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Good luck! hit it and let us know.

Thanks much!