• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I only got it 5 times :sad:
    Nothing to be ashamed of. I checked my last 1RM test day - three months ago (and the first time in, at least 7 years), and I only did 3 but I stopped prematurely since I was trying to save as much potential for heavier lifts. I had several warm-ups before that so, who knows.

Planning on testing on Wednesday next week.

I guess since my pec tore on 190x5.
    Yeah I read that. How do you safeguard against in the future? I can only imagine the rehab/pain you've gone through. Sucks.

I narrowed my grip. I use to always flare my elbows at 90 degrees and not round 45. I used to bring the bar down too high up closer to my neck and not abs. I had bad form plus a recurring high school shoulder injury. Doctor said it was bound to happen since I touch my chest on bench. Hah a lot of scare tissue he made claims to have to really put the muscle to connect it during surgery.

Yaoch! I winced at reading that.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be ashamed of. I checked my last 1RM test day - three months ago (and the first time in, at least 7 years), and I only did 3 but I stopped prematurely since I was trying to save as much potential for heavier lifts. I had several warm-ups before that so, who knows.

Yeah I read that. How do you safeguard against in the future? I can only imagine the rehab/pain you've gone through. Sucks.

The medical lifting book I've been reading says to narrow your grip and keep your elbows relatively tucked into your body.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I narrowed my grip. I use to always flare my elbows at 90 degrees and not round 45. I used to bring the bar down too high up closer to my neck and not abs. I had bad form plus a recurring high school shoulder injury. Doctor said it was bound to happen since I touch my chest on bench. Hah a lot of scare tissue he made claims to have to really put the muscle to connect it during surgery.

Yaoch! I winced at reading that.

I wasa example of bad form in a worse case scenario and that the mind can overpower my body.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

The medical lifting book I've been reading says to narrow your grip and keep your elbows relatively tucked into your body.

YUP took years for me to finally bench correctly now I am living in my personal record world for bench.

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

YUP took years for me to finally bench correctly now I am living in my personal record world for bench.

I'm not entirely certain why, but when I started doing this, my bench took off. My previous 1rm was 205, after a few workouts where I did this, I was able to just keep adding to it.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I'm not entirely certain why, but when I started doing this, my bench took off. My previous 1rm was 205, after a few workouts where I did this, I was able to just keep adding to it.

Ideally when you lift perfect form it activates all the correct muscles and a correct range of motion. I actually feel my bench in my pec since I started lifting correctly too. Also bench press is not all pectoral. Triceps and lats help too.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    The bench has always been one of my strongest exercises. I found out long ago to arch the back, spread the legs and plant the feet - usually on my toes, and square the elbows thus aligning the shoulders and hands into position, lowering to the center of my chest in a controlled manner.
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The narrow grip (flat) bench press brings me too much pain - even if I use it as lift for my triceps. I avoid it. I only use a narrower grip if I bench Incline.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I suspect 135 would be high for a woman.

I can rep out probably 10 at that weight- I don't do high rep ANYWAY- so repping anything out on bench kills me. I've done 95 for like 15 something and got shakey doing it.

I think realistically 115 for a challenge would be solid. 95 just feels like it's a bit too light- and 135 is just going to be to heavy.

It seems for women failure comes VERY quickly on bench- you feel fine you feel fine you feel fine- everything's solid and goes up super easily- then it's sudden failure with the addition of like 5 pounds.

it's weird- and wildly annoying.
  • yopeeps025
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I can rep out probably 10 at that weight- I don't do high rep ANYWAY- so repping anything out on bench kills me. I've done 95 for like 15 something and got shakey doing it.

I think realistically 115 for a challenge would be solid. 95 just feels like it's a bit too light- and 135 is just going to be to heavy.

It seems for women failure comes VERY quickly on bench- you feel fine you feel fine you feel fine- everything's solid and goes up super easily- then it's sudden failure with the addition of like 5 pounds.

My coworker gave me an article that said that women are able to rep out more weight closer to max.

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

True that! I switched programs to Wendler's 5/3/1 and already, in my first cycle, got a rep improvement in my bench. Cycle 2 will take me into unchartered territory for my 1RM and I'm super excited about that. In the past when I've stalled I've stopped benching, done decline pushups for a few weeks instead, and seen major improvements when I went back to benching. Unfortunately, at this weight (which is still way less than 135# LOL) I don't think that method is gonna hack it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I know women tend to be able to work at a higher volume load- but I can tell you I fail out very quickly... I cant' rep anything hardly at 165- like 2-3 maybe? and 185 goes off my chest reasonably well- but 190-195 and 200 have all been failures.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just gave this a try and I barely made it through 7. My 1RM is about 285lb.

Yeah I'm at 270lb 1RM and made it for 5 at 225lb
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't women usually more functionally stronger in lower body lifts, i.e. squats as opposed to upper body? Isn't that opposite of what men are?
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    After my heavy sets I just did the empty bar for 60 reps and my chest and arms were on fire!...lol Might add this as a way to shake things up.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to hit 135 by the end of the year. My calc 1RM is right around there and I'm making changes to my form that will improve the mechanics of my lift, so I'm feeling good about making it in about a month
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't women usually more functionally stronger in lower body lifts, i.e. squats as opposed to upper body? Isn't that opposite of what men are?

Precisely, which is why my squat is comparably heavier than my bench (but my OHP is pretty decent, not sure why).
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    After my heavy sets I just did the empty bar for 60 reps and my chest and arms were on fire!...lol Might add this as a way to shake things up.
    '

yeah nice burnout at the end of workout. try for 100 reps.

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I'm just over 5 months into lifting with SL5x5 (never touched a free weight seriously before that). When I tested my 1RM after the first three months I was at 235 bench, 365 squat, 385 DL. After that I dropped everything back down and started the linear progression again and am up to a 200 5x5 bench, 300 3x5 squat and 360 1x5 DL. Have 3 weeks left on this rotation and then I'll test 1RMs again just before christmas. Looking for a 245+ bench, 400+ squat and 420+ DL at a BW of 185 and BF% of around 17%.

I would love to be able to do 225 for reps. I might be able to get 2 right now.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    In response to the Crossfit scaling percentages for men/women discussion: I do Crossfit too but they don't usually treat bench the same as many other movements for the most part due to the disparity between men and women. Bench is rarely used compared to other lifts (OHP is more common and in fact replaces bench in the their "Total": Squat, DL, & Press). Generally they base Workouts of the Day with bench in them as a percentage of bodyweight or 1 rep max. Really, WODS with bench in them are uncommon and it's more of a skill that people do before the main workout. For example, a scale for deadlifts in a high rep deadlift WOD like Diane would be 225# for men and 155# for women. Yet, if they used a 225# to 155# bench ratio there would be exactly 0 women at my box who could do the workout, including a woman who won the USAPL Raw Nationals powerlifting total in her weight class in 2010.