225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    OP; with your weight to height ratio it appears you are pushing near 1.5x your body weight on bench - nothing to scoff at! And if your like me - then age does play a factor. I put myself in the same boat as most - I hate my bench. Good luck on reaching your next goal.

correction; weight to strength ratio - sorry, on my 1st cup of coffee
    Hey thanks! I appreciate that TFastsino!

I really do like benching though - always have - actually, kinda like everything I do in the gym, but that's just me.

• civilizedworm
    Options
    My max right now is 275, And I tried 225 last night and got 5 reps, Seems about right as before I had my car accident I was hitting 300 for 1 and 225 for 9. I tell you it was tough going from 300 to empty bar then 2 years to get back to 275...

Nice work! Sorry to hear about your accident.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    My max right now is 275, And I tried 225 last night and got 5 reps, Seems about right as before I had my car accident I was hitting 300 for 1 and 225 for 9. I tell you it was tough going from 300 to empty bar then 2 years to get back to 275...

Same story for me except tore my pec on the bench press. Then took 17 months from day of surgery to complete the workout that tore it.

Ouch! Hope it healed completely, that's a nasty injury.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Wheel - i think from Crossfit Football and from elsewhere across the crossfit intertubes. redf's strength level scales would also work.

Good references to have. I've seen Rippetoe's charts and they are probably pretty similar but I'll have to go searching for those again. I think Rip's are a little more stringent since they are geared to powerlifters. On the CF I get Advanced but I think I'm still Intermediate on Rip's charts IIRC. I'll have to check and compare.

ETA Update: Found the standard charts here http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html . Pretty similar but a little higher bar it seems. Wonder what the data pool they used to standardize each was since that will likely be the reason for the difference.

nice! totally forgot about exrx. (and I share your thoughts on figuring out the differences).

and yeah- there's a CF in Seattle that has some good charts, but I can't find those either on the fly :(. but I think you're right about Rip being more PW geared.

cheers
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You should check out the NFL training camp numbers on 225 max reps. They do bounce it off their chests too though. Looks awful.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Edwardshar wrote: »
    You should check out the NFL training camp numbers on 225 max reps. They do bounce it off their chests too though. Looks awful.

Yeah, I've seen them do that for my universities football team as well as the horrible cleans they did. However, it's a pretty brutal test and I think it's more about showing how much you can endure pain as much as anything else.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This thread makes me want to do chest twice this week!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    onasaz wrote: »
    Candito benching 325×1 and 225×around 20 i think at 185. But bench is his weakest lift his squat verry good... whats your stats op?
    Btw i am benching 110 :)
    I'm a taller than Johnny C.

From my profile:

Height: 5'11"
    SW: 199 pounds; 18% bf (03-23-2014)
    CW: 196 pounds; 10.20% bf (10-22-2014)
    GW: 205~ more muscle (hopefully by: 03-23-2015)
    Calories: 3,551 - or as much as I want (Maintenance)

1RM (As of 09-2014)
    Bench: 275
    Squat: 285
    DL: 395
    ????

You coming off an injury? I may have missed that.

You think that's bad? My DL is about 200lbs better than my squat.

Well for him that just seemed abnormally low... look at him. lol. What caught my eye was the squat that was just a bit over bench. But with what he has going on, it makes sense.

Granted, my own DL is 100# more than my squat, so wtf do I know, eh? ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    onasaz wrote: »
    Candito benching 325×1 and 225×around 20 i think at 185. But bench is his weakest lift his squat verry good... whats your stats op?
    Btw i am benching 110 :)
    I'm a taller than Johnny C.

From my profile:

Height: 5'11"
    SW: 199 pounds; 18% bf (03-23-2014)
    CW: 196 pounds; 10.20% bf (10-22-2014)
    GW: 205~ more muscle (hopefully by: 03-23-2015)
    Calories: 3,551 - or as much as I want (Maintenance)

1RM (As of 09-2014)
    Bench: 275
    Squat: 285
    DL: 395
    ????

You coming off an injury? I may have missed that.

You think that's bad? My DL is about 200lbs better than my squat.

Well for him that just seemed abnormally low... look at him. lol. What caught my eye was the squat that was just a bit over bench. But with what he has going on, it makes sense.

Granted, my own DL is 100# more than my squat, so wtf do I know, eh? ;)

My PR for DL is a lot higher too, squat was just very hard for me to work up for some reason and was basically my weakest lift.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Happily bench is my weakest lift, but... I wanna be cool and hit 225 for reps like ya'll. I think I can get 3 possibly 4.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    1.5 x body-weight is also a good standard. I'm at 1.42 and closing in.

I'm right at that ratio @170lbs. I do a heavy work chest day and a light chest day.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    interested to see how you do. Looks like I could play in the NBA then (if I was like 2 foot taller lol)

NBA players have significantly longer arms so they don't have good leverage to do a high weight bench press. Monta Ellis and Kevin Durant are two super star talents that can't bench 185 even once.

What... there are football players that are 6'7" and taller, they have long arms too. A buddy I played high school with played in the NFL for a bit and hit 225 for 32 reps, though he was 6'7" 320, not 200lbs like NBA players of the same height.

Hmm, no. Calvin Johnson who has a 6'10 wingspan. J.J. Watt has a 6'10 wingspan. Those seem to be two of the biggest I can find. Durant has a 7'4 wingspan. Andre Drummond has a 7'6 wingspan. Anthony Davis has a 7'7 wingspan. Wilt Chamberlain had a 7'8 wingspan.

There is a very noticeable difference in body structures between the NFL and NBA.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    interested to see how you do. Looks like I could play in the NBA then (if I was like 2 foot taller lol)

NBA players have significantly longer arms so they don't have good leverage to do a high weight bench press. Monta Ellis and Kevin Durant are two super star talents that can't bench 185 even once.

There is a very noticeable difference in body structures between the NFL and NBA.

LOL, just a little difference that's hardly noticible at all. ;)
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options

What... there are football players that are 6'7" and taller, they have long arms too. A buddy I played high school with played in the NFL for a bit and hit 225 for 32 reps, though he was 6'7" 320, not 200lbs like NBA players of the same height.

Hmm, no. Calvin Johnson who has a 6'10 wingspan. J.J. Watt has a 6'10 wingspan. Those seem to be two of the biggest I can find. Durant has a 7'4 wingspan. Andre Drummond has a 7'6 wingspan. Anthony Davis has a 7'7 wingspan. Wilt Chamberlain had a 7'8 wingspan.

This got me curious, so I measured my wingspan at my office - may not be entirely accurate but close.

About 72" (aka 6 feet.)

Does this qualify my arms as stubby? Will I ever play in the NBA?
  • dbmata
    Options
    there might be a position available on the tropics.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    lol. Then I know I don't have a chance! I mean who can compete with this?
    Will-Ferrell-naked_320.jpg
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    lol. Then I know I don't have a chance! I mean who can compete with this?
    Will-Ferrell-naked_320.jpg

AHHHHHH, can't unsee!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Gives a new meaning to ball boy.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

This got me curious, so I measured my wingspan at my office - may not be entirely accurate but close.

About 72" (aka 6 feet.)

Nate Robinson made it, but he has a 35.5 inch standing vert jump and a 44 inch running jump...
  • civilizedworm
    Options

About 72" (aka 6 feet.)

Nate Robinson made it, but he has a 35.5 inch standing vert jump and a 44 inch running jump...
    I could do that on a trampoline perhaps maybe.