Forgiving Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years

Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    NikonPal wrote: »
    Did all I could this Thanksgiving dinner to stay under my daily calorie goal. No alcohol; No dessert; No potato, No cranberry; I brought my own butter spray (for Italian bread) & balsamic spray (for salad) and Fat Free Turkey gravy. Ate small for breakfast.

BUT I went bread-carb crazy and was worried I had gone too far with 1 ¼ cup of bread stuffing and about 7.5 ounces of turkey breast (no skin) and 5 slices of Italian bread throughout the day and a Fiber bar.

After I mentally added 15% for possible errors, I still managed to stay under goal – so I was very satisfied with the numbers…now for Christmas. Of course, my next weigh-in will tell the real story.

bolded part makes me sad …why can't one just enjoy the holiday and not word about calories …i ate 5500 today and I don't give a damn...

You don't have to overeat to enjoy a holiday, also Thanksgiving food is very "meh" in my opinion, so fortunately it's never been much of a problem for me.

And "butter spray" and "balsamic spray" just adds on the "meh" factor. How about some sugar free cauliflower "pumpkin pie" with fat free, sugar free "whipped topping" with that spray??
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well many of us aren't American, for a start.

I have plenty of times in the year where it might be traditional to have big dinners or eat more than usual. Christmas, Easter, St. Patrick's Day, birthdays (and sometimes, depending on my social circle, other people's celebrations like Eid or Thanksgiving). I log them honestly (though can't always be accurate) and forget about it. It's nice to know where I stand for the week while still enjoying myself as I always would.

I don't need MFP to pat me on the head and tell me it's okay to enjoy food with my family and friends. We're all adults here, no?

(If you're joking, well my points still stand, enjoy yourselves with your families while you can!)
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure OP is joking. :)

My general feeling is that eating is not a sin, so there's nothing to forgive. I chose to cut loose a bit yesterday and didn't worry about it. Wasn't "Girls Gone Wild: Diet Edition," but I was relaxing and enjoying it.

It's not the choices we make on occasional celebratory day, it's the overall pattern.
  • Calliope610
    edited November 2014
    Options

Respectfully, I disagree. There is a thread on here having a contest to see how many calories they can eat on Thanksgiving. My friends and family are the same way, just until you can't move and have to take a nap. How is that not overeating?

That thread is not about stuffing oneself silly. It is about being able to enjoy "once a year" celebrations without fear. It is about being able to enjoy Grandmother's Italian Creme wedding cake and coffee with out worrying about 800 calories. About having a drink of good quality "adult beverage" with your favorite uncle without worries about the calories. It's about enjoying friends, family, food without being afraid of the food or lessening the experience with food wanna-bes.

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Did all I could this Thanksgiving dinner to stay under my daily calorie goal. No alcohol; No dessert; No potato, No cranberry; I brought my own butter spray (for Italian bread) & balsamic spray (for salad) and Fat Free Turkey gravy. Ate small for breakfast.

BUT I went bread-carb crazy and was worried I had gone too far with 1 ¼ cup of bread stuffing and about 7.5 ounces of turkey breast (no skin) and 5 slices of Italian bread throughout the day and a Fiber bar.

After I mentally added 15% for possible errors, I still managed to stay under goal – so I was very satisfied with the numbers…now for Christmas. Of course, my next weigh-in will tell the real story.

bolded part makes me sad …why can't one just enjoy the holiday and not word about calories …i ate 5500 today and I don't give a damn...

You don't have to overeat to enjoy a holiday, also Thanksgiving food is very "meh" in my opinion, so fortunately it's never been much of a problem for me.
    It's not about over eating. It's about not eliminating everything that you love and bringing sprays to dinner. That's just excessively restrictive.

Respectfully, I disagree. There is a thread on here having a contest to see how many calories they can eat on Thanksgiving. My friends and family are the same way, just until you can't move and have to take a nap. How is that not overeating?
    Yup. That thread does exist. And I was one of the participants. Why, because I love food. Because I was once obese and am not fit and have learned self control. Losing self control isn't one deciding to play a game and see if they can eat 6000 calories. Losing self control is eating a lot on thanksgiving then the next day, next week, next month then getting fat again.

And I was more than able to move. Sounds like you a just not mentally strong enough to do whatever er you want. And the fact that you brought your friends and family into thus conversation is pathetic. I'm not understanding this whole holier than everyone else attitude people have around here when it comes to their loved one. You, have ended up here on MFP, chance are you're not perfect. You also weren't sharp enough to understand what the 6000 calorie thread was about so I'm not wasting my time typing back and forth with you.

OK man, calm down. I have never been obese like you so maybe I don't understand the desire to stuff my face like a glutton.

Lol, wow.

• Calliope610
    Options

That thread is not about stuffing oneself silly. It is about being able to enjoy "once a year" celebrations without fear. It is about being able to enjoy Grandmother's Italian Creme wedding cake and coffee with out worrying about 800 calories. About having a drink of good quality "adult beverage" with your favorite uncle without worries about the calories. It's about enjoying friends, family, food without being afraid of the food or lessening the experience with food wanna-bes.
    Your grandmother got married? Congrats to her. B)
    See its never to late for you.

Italian creme cake, Italian wedding cake... ehh, same difference.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

I couldn't agree with this more. Like a lot of internet discussion, people want to go to the extreme - put their stake in the ground and take an all or nothing approach. In this case it sounds like you either are 'disciplined and accountable' or your just a face stuffing glutton for celebrating a holiday. (In America...for those who celebrate it.)

But your point is well taken. For a lot of people it's about being able to enjoy a special day or celebration without worrying about specific calorie counts or busting their goals. As the old cliche goes, nobody gained all the weight they wanted to lose in a day, they aren't going to lose it either.

For some people, it's worth being able to 'forget the plan' for a special day. Others prefer to stay within their plan. Whatever works best for you...

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sevendust912: You obviously have not looked at the pictures of MrM27. He only had 18 pounds he wanted to shed and he is far from obese.

56604121.png
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Then I admire you even more! You didn't look even 220. Congrats on your loss. Hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving!
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    worst..idea...ever :smiley:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    3500 calories = 1 pound. How far over your calories do you think you have to go on all three holidays - assuming you celebrate all three - in order to need this 'forgiveness' of which you speak?
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    just make good decisions :) (like its that easy....)
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    There are lots of Americans that do not do Thanksgiving -- hubby and I had a quiet day at home. For us, it was Thursday.
    And forget about Christmas.

Why would you choose to not celebrate Thanksgiving?

Apart that it celebrates the taking of land from the natives and forcing them onto reservations?

Or the fact that some people just can't afford it?

Or that some people simply don't want to?

Actually, it has more to do with freeing the slaves than oppressing Native Americans... but whatever.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Well, not everyone on MFP celebrates all three holidays, so how would that work for them?

This. Not everyone on this site is American. Or, y'know, Christian.

• rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Just reiterating the "not everyone is American" and "not everyone is Christian" (yes, really, not even in America). Plus people choose not to celebrate certain holidays, or celebrate them differently than the mainstream. I would totally skip Christmas/New Years/Easter if my family would allow.

You could always just opt not to log. I didn't log Thanksgiving dinner at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    bama6977 wrote: »
    I suggest that "My Fitness Pal" declare there will be no updates of food logs for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years!! I mean lock it down, then come back the next day with quotes like "now it's time to pay", "do you know you ate a weeks worth of food yesterday ?", "yesterday is going to kick your *kitten* at the gym today", "you can forget logging for the next week or two". I I tried to log my food for today and the web site almost shut down. B)
    You're joking right?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

It's not about over eating. It's about not eliminating everything that you love and bringing sprays to dinner. That's just excessively restrictive.

Yup. That thread does exist. And I was one of the participants. Why, because I love food. Because I was once obese and am not fit and have learned self control. Losing self control isn't one deciding to play a game and see if they can eat 6000 calories. Losing self control is eating a lot on thanksgiving then the next day, next week, next month then getting fat again.

And I was more than able to move. Sounds like you a just not mentally strong enough to do whatever er you want. And the fact that you brought your friends and family into thus conversation is pathetic. I'm not understanding this whole holier than everyone else attitude people have around here when it comes to their loved one. You, have ended up here on MFP, chance are you're not perfect. You also weren't sharp enough to understand what the 6000 calorie thread was about so I'm not wasting my time typing back and forth with you.

OK man, calm down. I have never been obese like you so maybe I don't understand the desire to stuff my face like a glutton.

Cute
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Aw, waaaaa.

Maybe some people have different risk acceptance, self control, approaches to life, and goals that are different from yours.