Should wheat be avoided, even if you're not intolerant?

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    If you eat wheat, you will die.

Seriously. It will kill you slowly. Every day your health will become worse and worse in aggregate, until you expire.

Do you really want to die?

If you don't eat wheat you will die. See also : chocolate. Every person who does not eat chocolate dies.
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Unless you have celiac disease, it does not have to be avoided. That being said, there is research that shows everyone has some level of adverse reaction to gluten. There is also evidence that wheat products can be addictive since the gluten protein attaches to opiate receptors in the brain. I avoid wheat and have seen a boost to my overall health. If you're curious, give it a try for a while and see for yourself. The results are you get healthier, there is no change, or health deteriorates. What works for me may not work for you at all.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Seriously. It will kill you slowly. Every day your health will become worse and worse in aggregate, until you expire.

This is kind of true of life in general. All people's health worsens. All people die.

Wouldn't attribute that to wheat though.

Nor would he. He's just trolling.

Lol, you and Katie leaving flags how cute.

I'm agreeing, accepting, and validating. That's all posters want these days anyway.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    nitrospop wrote: »
    Unless you have celiac disease, it does not have to be avoided. That being said, there is research that shows everyone has some level of adverse reaction to gluten. There is also evidence that wheat products can be addictive since the gluten protein attaches to opiate receptors in the brain. I avoid wheat and have seen a boost to my overall health. If you're curious, give it a try for a while and see for yourself. The results are you get healthier, there is no change, or health deteriorates. What works for me may not work for you at all.

Can you please present this evidence?

Thanks
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    nitrospop wrote: »

Please post said research
  • dbmata
    Options
    Our brains have opiate receptors?

Wow, so that means we evolved alongside opium plants? Amazing.

What benefits do opiates have for us?
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Not touching the rest of that post, but I think you mean opioid receptors. :D

OP, if you're an overall healthy person, then I wouldn't worry about it if you aren't noticing any trouble when you eat it. If you don't have Celiac, you don't have to worry about eradicating every trace of its existence from your life. >:)

However, I have seen some research that suggests that avoiding gluten may also be helpful to some people with a lot of inflammation or certain autoimmune conditions. More research on that needs to be done, and I don't know of any that says eating gluten is necessarily harmful to people with these conditions, just that avoiding it may alleviate some symptoms.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    This is always a good topic for debate. Personally I avoid it, even though I've tested negative for celiac, I'm certain I have an intolerance. The way my body reacts is very unpleasant, so I choose to avoid. I don't know why there are so many folks out there that take issue with people avoiding something that makes them feel terrible regardless of some silly blood test, but to each their own.

That being said, if your intent is to lose weight by avoiding gluten, use caution. Gluten-free products like pastries, pasta etc are not lower in calories, and in fact are often much higher in calories.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Yes

you going to clarify that, or just dive bomb the thread with no legitimate reason to support your "claims"….

Yes

and to think, I got flagged for validating the op, but the PA kids are letting this just fly right by. lol.

Such angry. Very cheerleader. LOL.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    This study emphasizes the vegan part of the diet in a lot of the study, but those participants were also eating a gluten free diet. I'm not sure what the reason was for the heavier focus on the vegan instead of gluten free diet, since the other group ate a "well balanced diet."

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/40/10/1175.full
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Wheat should be avoided if you're intolerant of its taste.

I eat 14 Weet-bix in a single meal, and the only side effect I've experienced is unbridled happiness.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It's so tough to decide who is credible: the people who are built, or a cartoon with no progress and no evidence.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Yes

you going to clarify that, or just dive bomb the thread with no legitimate reason to support your "claims"….

Yes

and to think, I got flagged for validating the op, but the PA kids are letting this just fly right by. lol.

Such angry. Very cheerleader. LOL.

So fat. Hi Human.

I'm just trolling and loling all day today round here.

Have any of you ever heard of purple mountain's majesty and amber waves of grain. IT'S UNAMERICAN TO AVOID WHEAT. If you don't like it you get geeeet oooooout.
  • klbrowser
    klbrowser Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I see no harm in going gluten free for a couple of weeks just to see how you feel. If you feel better without it, consider making it a permanent change. If you see no difference, the choice is yours whether you return to eating wheat. I voluntarily went gluten free in 2003, not because of weight, but because I was experiencing some digestive discomfort. My digestion improved greatly after being gluten free for a few weeks, so I stuck with it. Losing 40 pounds the first year of being gluten free was an unexpected bonus. If you decide to try it, replacing your wheat-based items with vegetables is probably the best way to go. If you have your heart set on grains, there are healthy choices such as quinoa, millet, teff, chia and flax as long as you eat them in moderation.
  • dbmata
    Options
    klbrowser wrote: »
    I see no harm in going gluten free for a couple of weeks just to see how you feel. If you feel better without it, consider making it a permanent change. If you see no difference, the choice is yours whether you return to eating wheat. I voluntarily went gluten free in 2003, not because of weight, but because I was experiencing some digestive discomfort. My digestion improved greatly after being gluten free for a few weeks, so I stuck with it. Losing 40 pounds the first year of being gluten free was an unexpected bonus. If you decide to try it, replacing your wheat-based items with vegetables is probably the best way to go. If you have your heart set on grains, there are healthy choices such as quinoa, millet, teff, chia and flax as long as you eat them in moderation.

Your reasonableness is not welcome here!

lol, I kid.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

This is kind of true of life in general. All people's health worsens. All people die.

Pffff, I am 23 years old getting stronger and healthier every day. No way do I look at life like that at all. I am still growing. I haven't decided yet if I want to be the first person to never die.
  • dbmata
    Options

Pffff, I am 23 years old getting stronger and healthier every day. No way do I look at life like that at all. I am still growing. I haven't decided yet if I want to be the first person to never die.

*ahem*

You mean second. I will be the first. Or that *kitten* Branson.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

*ahem*

You mean second. I will be the first. Or that *kitten* Branson.

I suppose if neither of us never die, then neither of us can be solely the first to never die...right? Kinda?
  • The "Gluten Free" and "NO Carbs" diets confusing people. My sister has celiac disease so she can't have wheat or gluten. I was tested for a wheat allergy and tested negative. My doctor told me that eating organic wheat products is more healthy than non-organic wheat, other than that there is no reason to completely remove grains from your diet.