Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Muffie22 wrote: »
    LOL OK. Well I must be a scientific anomaly having lost 35lbs and still eating ice cream, full-fat dairy, cake, meat, etc etc but at a slight calorific deficit over the course of a year...

You're also 25 years old.

What about MFP user Sarauk2sf? She's in her late 40's and has managed to lose weight and recomp her body while including (in moderation) full fat items like ice cream, dairy and such.

Not everyone can (or will) follow the type of regime that Sarauk follows. I have arthritis and must be very careful as to the type and amount of exercise that I do--but, within that parameter, I have made a drastic change in my health and appearance. :)

LOL. She strength trains 3x a week. That's it. No cardio/nothing else and she has a desk job. How is that different than from what most follow? In fact, it's less than what most people try to do.

A lot of cardio can actually be counter-productive to the aging female body. Cardio is "catabolic"--that is, it tends to be decrease lean body mass. Weight-lifting, on the other hand is "anabolic"--that is, it tends to increase lean body mass. Which one do you think is better for increasing the flagging metabolism of the aging woman? I actually don't do a lot of cardio--just enough to keep my cardiovascular system healthy. She may have a better metabolism than I have to start with--many, many women are not so fortunate. It is estimated that about 40% of post-menopausal women have thyroid problems (as do I).

So first you infer that she has a rigorous training schedule most can or won't do as a reason she's able to be as she is. But now that it is "revealed" she does something that is actually average and doable, it's got to be her "better" metabolism (insinuating that it's something she's always had)???

:laugh:

Okay then.

Was she ever more than 20-30 pounds overweight?

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    LOL OK. Well I must be a scientific anomaly having lost 35lbs and still eating ice cream, full-fat dairy, cake, meat, etc etc but at a slight calorific deficit over the course of a year...

What about MFP user Sarauk2sf? She's in her late 40's and has managed to lose weight and recomp her body while including (in moderation) full fat items like ice cream, dairy and such.

Not everyone can (or will) follow the type of regime that Sarauk follows. I have arthritis and must be very careful as to the type and amount of exercise that I do--but, within that parameter, I have made a drastic change in my health and appearance. :)

LOL. She strength trains 3x a week. That's it. No cardio/nothing else and she has a desk job. How is that different than from what most follow? In fact, it's less than what most people try to do.

A lot of cardio can actually be counter-productive to the aging female body. Cardio is "catabolic"--that is, it tends to be decrease lean body mass. Weight-lifting, on the other hand is "anabolic"--that is, it tends to increase lean body mass. Which one do you think is better for increasing the flagging metabolism of the aging woman? I actually don't do a lot of cardio--just enough to keep my cardiovascular system healthy. She may have a better metabolism than I have to start with--many, many women are not so fortunate. It is estimated that about 40% of post-menopausal women have thyroid problems (as do I).
    wUFn861.gif
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

Age ain't nothing but a number :wink:

I agree. I was beginning to look and feel like an old woman five years ago. Most of my friends now marvel that I have gone backward in age from the look of me. But I can assure you that only excellent nutrition and adequate exercise is what has caused this.

They're being nice. That's what friends do.

No, my friends are not liars. Even my doctor sees me as an example and has asked for "before" and "after" pix. :)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Aaaand the last ounce of credibility you may or may not have had is now gone...

It's customary to pull a 180 and shift excuses when a previous one is shown to be untrue.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

So first you infer that she has a rigorous training schedule most can or won't do as a reason she's able to be as she is. But now that it is "revealed" she does something that is actually average and doable, it's got to be her "better" metabolism (insinuating that it's something she's always had)???

Okay then.

She was about 50lbs overweight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Okay then.

I believe she lost about 40-45 lbs.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I'm 34 and eat whatever I please, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm an anomaly too I guess?

Well, good for you! You are not a post-menopausal, obese women.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I'm 34 and eat whatever I please, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm an anomaly too I guess?

Quit moving the goalposts.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

Because science.

That teaching on weight-lifting vs. cardio :) comes straight from bodybuilder Lyle MacDonald--the darling of the weight-lifting crowd.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Quit moving the goalposts.

THANK YOU!

z205099164.gif
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Okay then.

I think that some weight-lifters believe that you can lose all the body fat you want to with just weight-lifting alone. I have yet to see that happen with me but I certainly have improved A LOT.

• SanteMulberry
    Options

It's customary to pull a 180 and shift excuses when a previous one is shown to be untrue.

And what excuses have I made. I have already said that I am at a healthy weight and that I have done it through my efforts without making any excuses. What problem do you have with that?

• PikaKnight
    edited November 2014
    Options

Okay then.

I think that some weight-lifters believe that you can lose all the body fat you want to with just weight-lifting alone. I have yet to see that happen with me but I certainly have improved A LOT.

Sorry, what does this have to do with you implying her training regiment is one that most can't do (lol) and then inferring she's just naturally has always had a high metabolism?

By the way, she hasn't always been into heavy lifting (she got "serious" about it a couple years ago, I believe, when she started losing and then recomping).

Or are you saying that Sara is a special snowflake? Because pretty sure she just proved what you said you have "yet to see happen", even if it hasn't happened to you (referencing you stating that this is a belief versus something that can actually be done)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I just watched the Fed Up Documentary 2013 produced by Katie Couric in 2013. I don't know how I missed it? But it hit the nail on the head with my weight loss (and gain) issues starting in 1994/1995. At age 36, I weighed 129, then suddenly I went to 143, 164, 177, 199, then up to 200 plus, my highest being 217. What did I do to make this happen? I changed my diet and became what I thought was a vegetarian. I replaced meat with non meat boxed, bagged, frozen, canned substitutes. I started to gain weight...then I was pitched the "calories in/out" song by the local gym and diet guru's on television. (Richard Simmons come to mind) and after joining a gym, and starting to "exercise" I jumped from 143. to 217 in a few years. Bigger and fatter, and more out of shape, on a "vegetarian" "exercise" several hours a day plan. The ONLY time I seemed to drop weight was when I wasn't eating at all for whatever reason, sometimes a much as 4 pounds a day. I followed the Susan Powter No Fat rules, and they did help, but those replacements for meat are just as bad and any processed foods. I realize now, we the public have been 'worlded and twirled" by the truly wealthy 10% in the world, and the governments they control to control us the masses of white lab rats.

Well, this white lab rat is going on the Fed Up Challenge on December 6th, 2014 for the 10 days of no sugars, and processed foods, and in my case no meats or dairy or eggs either. Lets see what happens.

o:)

by calories in calories out pitch ..you are referring to science and basic math, right?

so you ate nothing and lost weight, wouldn't that prove that CICO works??????

so you are eating nothing during this ten day torture period?

You gained weight, because you over ate…

/thread
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    goalposts.gif
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    goalposts.gif

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I am.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Aaaand you want to explain your statement? Or do you like to hand out random insults?

Ok, well it wasn't an insult, just a fact. So let's see, you say cardio is catabolic. That's a ridiculous statement. Sure if you don't lift any weights, you run a calorie deficit, and you don't eat enough protein you will most likely lose some lean body mass but flat out saying cardio is catabolic and leaving it at that is laughable. You say weight lifting is anabolic, that's also not always true. Anabolism is when the rate of muscle synthesis in your body is greater than the rate of muscle breakdown. You are always breaking down and building muscle simultaneously. You can lift weights, and eat plenty of protein, but if you're running a calorie deficit to lose weight like most people on this site, you're generally going to be in a catabolic or neutral state most of the time because of the nature of muscle building and the fact that there is an energy cost associated with it. You also throw in the age old "If someone is in better shape than me, it's because they have a better metabolism". What a joke...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Aaaand you want to explain your statement? Or do you like to hand out random insults?

Ok, well it wasn't an insult, just a fact. So let's see, you say cardio is catabolic. That's a ridiculous statement. Sure if you don't lift any weights, you run a calorie deficit, and you don't eat enough protein you will most likely lose some lean body mass but flat out saying cardio is catabolic and leaving it at that is laughable. You say weight lifting is anabolic, that's also not always true. Anabolism is when the rate of muscle synthesis in your body is greater than the rate of muscle breakdown. You are always breaking down and building muscle simultaneously. You can lift weights, and eat plenty of protein, but if you're running a calorie deficit to lose weight like most people on this site, you're generally going to be in a catabolic or neutral state most of the time because of the nature of muscle building and the fact that there is an energy cost associated with it. You also throw in the age old "If someone is in better shape than me, it's because they have a better metabolism". What a joke...

Thank you. My quads, calves, and quarterly BodPod assessments concur (maintenance runner).