Options

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Kiyy wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Too late, You have already been negative and insulting to several people. I have the experience and I guess you watched a video so now your the expert.

LOL, I hope you're just trolling. I wasn't mean to anybody with that post.

Sorry about that. I guess you jumped in so I didn't realize you were not the guy who was insulting people and had no real life experience to back up his opinions.

LOL, if you only knew my friend.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Too late, You have already been negative and insulting to several people. I have the experience and I guess you watched a video so now your the expert.

LOL, I hope you're just trolling. I wasn't mean to anybody with that post.

Yeah, it's just a troll.

Or, early stage dementia, either way. Full of horrid info.

I can respect comedians. LOL
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Another thing, when I squat light weight I actually perform poorly. There is something different that will occur when you have a heavy weight on the bar. Start with 25 on each side. You should not be squatting less than that. Your fit so don't be afraid to go for it. You will focus more and you wont mind holding that bar low on your back as much. Don't forget to raise the safety bar do it very high till you get comfortable. and make sure you raise the hangers so your not bending down out the gate. I set mine so I have to slightly raise my self up. I start looking at my spot on the ceiling before I even lift my weight off the rack. You will not fall forward if you look up.
    Another thing there is a difference between asking advice from a trainer friend and hiring one. If you hire a good trainer they will walk you through the entire from and be able to adjust what you need right there when you need it.
    It was smart of you to video yourself and ask for advice. Being able to see what your doing really gives you better advice.

Darren, seriously, ignore all this. The terrible advice provided by this poster ranges from extremely dangerous to health to... wth would someone do that?

Kiyy, if you're squatting with light weight and having poor form, you need to significantly deload and work on your form. Your form should be abso-freaking-lutely BOMBER with just the bar. Form has a greater tendency to break down as weight increases, so if you have horrid form with just the bar, you're going to get even worse from there. It's your body, so break it how you want, but seriously, you should hold back the dangerous advice before you or someone else divides by zero.

Thanks.

I have squated 2, 100 lb plates easy. Excellent form. I am a squat expert so you don't know what your talking about. Oh and I'm a 51+ year old woman. I can probably out squat you so you may need to re think some things.

LOL. You can squat 200 pounds? That makes you an expert? You keep saying you can out squat everybody. So go ahead and tell us, what's your 1RM?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Another thing, when I squat light weight I actually perform poorly. There is something different that will occur when you have a heavy weight on the bar. Start with 25 on each side. You should not be squatting less than that. Your fit so don't be afraid to go for it. You will focus more and you wont mind holding that bar low on your back as much. Don't forget to raise the safety bar do it very high till you get comfortable. and make sure you raise the hangers so your not bending down out the gate. I set mine so I have to slightly raise my self up. I start looking at my spot on the ceiling before I even lift my weight off the rack. You will not fall forward if you look up.
    Another thing there is a difference between asking advice from a trainer friend and hiring one. If you hire a good trainer they will walk you through the entire from and be able to adjust what you need right there when you need it.
    It was smart of you to video yourself and ask for advice. Being able to see what your doing really gives you better advice.

Darren, seriously, ignore all this. The terrible advice provided by this poster ranges from extremely dangerous to health to... wth would someone do that?

Kiyy, if you're squatting with light weight and having poor form, you need to significantly deload and work on your form. Your form should be abso-freaking-lutely BOMBER with just the bar. Form has a greater tendency to break down as weight increases, so if you have horrid form with just the bar, you're going to get even worse from there. It's your body, so break it how you want, but seriously, you should hold back the dangerous advice before you or someone else divides by zero.

Thanks.

I have squated 2, 100 lb plates easy. Excellent form. I am a squat expert so you don't know what your talking about. Oh and I'm a 51+ year old woman. I can probably out squat you so you may need to re think some things.

LOL. You can squat 200 pounds? That makes you an expert? You keep saying you can out squat everybody. So go ahead and tell us, what's your 1RM?

It's not worth it. If she's squatting the way she is suggesting that Dern does, I'd prefer she doesn't test out that 1RM.

Sam - accidental or otherwise? LOL.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lifting belts are not a good idea, unless your goal is to weaken your back muscles.

If you can't do squats with proper form, lower the weight. It's just a matter of time before you get stronger and can properly do progressively higher weights - and your supporting muscles will develop to enable that to happen. Belts impede that progress.

That's absolutely incorrect.
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Thanks.

Tiger, I never said that I can out squat everyone. My comments were meant to express why I have some credibility. I just wanted to share some tips and help the kid improve but dbmanta jumped in and got his joy out of insulting people that are more experienced than he is in here giving advice and telling this poor kid not to listen to his trainer and others when he can't even squat himself because he hurt his knee.

To answer your question I do have a great deal of personal experience and I test my max strength in real life not just on a calculator. I'm a beast I assure you!
  • dbmata
    Options

Thanks.

Tiger, I never said that I can out squat everyone. My comments were meant to express why I have some credibility. I just wanted to share some tips and help the kid improve but dbmanta jumped in and got his joy out of insulting people that are more experienced than he is in here giving advice and telling this poor kid not to listen to his trainer and others when he can't even squat himself because he hurt his knee.

To answer your question I do have a great deal of personal experience and I test my max strength in real life not just on a calculator. I'm a beast I assure you!

You have no credibility, you should disabuse yourself of that notion.

You should also probably re-read the thread, and ruminate on reading comprehension. You totally pulled the "I can outsquat you" card, proving you're a pogue, or a fake account troll. You're handing out bad advice that will get a newbie hurt, and you're not just coming to poor conclusions, you're jumping to them like you had a mat and a shot at winning. lol. You should sit back, and learn before jumping in and trying to bro-out with the well worn saw, "I can outsquat you so learn from me." Based on your advice, you have at best experience that is horridly outdated, and at worst, a deep experience in providing bad information with a desire to harm others, like you're trying to do with the OP. :) Also, since you know so much about my knee, where did you get your MD from?

Unless your name is Mark Rippetoe, then of course. I'll shut up and learn from you.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Rippetoe would never tell anyone to look up while squatting. ;) Neutral neck angle. I think Wendler is the only guy that actually says something about looking up while squatting.
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm sure that you young men have been reading and learning how to lift a bit but as you may someday learn there are several ways to skin a cat.

How To Squat Without Knee And Back Pain!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/no_pain_squat.htm
    Jul 01, 2013
    For Beginners--Learning To Squat With A Bar

Step 4 ///
    Rise up and keep your eyes towards the ceiling. If you look down or straight, then you will drop your chest and put too much effort on your lower back.

http://getthisstrength.com/squats-looking-up-vs-looking-down

If you are doing high bar squats, there is no reason to look down. But during Low Bar Squats, you can look up or down depending on the stage of your training and also preference.

So how did this debate start?

I’m not 100% certain, but I learned to look down from Starting Strength. Looking around in various forums, it seems that other people also learned it from that book. Then they go on youtube to watch the ‘So You Think You Can Squat’ series by EliteFTS and they find out that world champion squatters look forward. In fact, I refer to that video series in my article on how to squat.

Starting Strength is a book for beginners learning the basic barbell exercises. It describes the best way for a beginner to squat, which is 100% correct.

On the other hand, the ‘So You Think You Can Squat’ series was created by elite powerlifters. The trainee that they were coaching in that series was someone with ‘very little experience’ by their standards…and he squats over 400 lbs without much difficulty. They need to look up and this is 100% correct as well.

Both sources are right, it just depends on the context that you are working in. Enormous amounts of weight have been squatted while looking forwards and down.

I had way too much free time on my hands this holiday weekend. I'm off to more productive things.

Be well and good luck. I'm Sorry that I hit a nerve.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Looking up while squatting is dumb. Chances are you can get some lumber extension happening which means that the RA and obliques are going to be lengthened and therefore not as tight as possible. Neutral neck position should be the goal. Look up Eric Cressey's article on packing the chin (double chin cue).
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'm sure that you young men have been reading and learning how to lift a bit but as you may someday learn there are several ways to skin a cat.
    I know of four ways, and I have personally skinned cats utilizing three different methods.
  • dbmata
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Rippetoe would never tell anyone to look up while squatting. ;) Neutral neck angle. I think Wendler is the only guy that actually says something about looking up while squatting.

I think he was also the one talking about looking up at the start of a heavy dead lift, with head returning to neutral angle at or after lockout.

I've tried it, feels funky, and I can't do that for a deadlift over 400.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    looking up is a temporary cue to keep the chest from caving down-for both squats and dead lifts.
    The ultimate goal is to be looking 3-5 feet in front of you to maintain a neutral spine.

The actual eye contact with any one spot is completely irrelevant- it is all about spinal alignment. if you can eye ball the fracking ceiling with your mutant lizard eyes and maintain a straight spine- more power to you.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Thanks.

Do you want to know the person you called out squat volume workout LOL? All of the above says nothing to show credibility. Also no video no proof on your so called excellent form.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    I agree with Chris in that if you extend your head to far back you'll get the opposite response to looking down. Yes the guy they're teaching to squat (SYTYCS) is not exactly a beginner but the concepts they teach hold true. Starting Strength was written by a man with a 600lb squat, so elite status should not matter. There are many ways to skin a cat and ultimately the practitioner must try what works best for them.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    I agree with Chris in that if you extend your head to far back you'll get the opposite response to looking down. Yes the guy they're teaching to squat (SYTYCS) is not exactly a beginner but the concepts they teach hold true. Starting Strength was written by a man with a 600lb squat, so elite status should not matter. There are many ways to skin a cat and ultimately the practitioner must try what works best for them.

Was it you that recommended this. https://youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Thanks.

*cringes*
  • JoRocka
    edited December 2014
    Options
    wait wait wait...

Thanks.

wait- then who said this??

I have squatted 2, 100 lb plates easy. Excellent form. I am a squat expert so you don't know what your talking about. Oh and I'm a 51+ year old woman. I can probably out squat you so you may need to re think some things.

I was also just editing for bold emphasis- and noted the "I'm a squat expert"

dayum.

how does one reach this level of squat expert?? I'd like to take a course for that and get certified.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Thanks.

*cringes*

No video no proof. Lets see this beast mode you call squat.

• Sam_I_Am77
    edited December 2014
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Was it you that recommended this. https://youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao

Yeah, and? The video doesn't say look at the ceiling. "Eyes a little higher than neutral."