How do you find the time for exercise?

Options

Replies

• dangie2002
    dangie2002 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    you tube has lots of free workout videos. Everything I do is free.
  • craftymommy
    craftymommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sort of a morning person. I don't want to get up early to do anything, let alone exercise, so I don't. The thing is, that choice means I have to make sure I get in exercise during the day.

I'm a single mom and I work full time. My job has me on two 15 min breaks and a lunch during the day. I take walks during those breaks and bring a lunch I can eat at my desk so I can walk during my lunch. That's my sacrifice for not waking up early.

My puppy gets a 20-30 minute walk as well and she's a beagle so she tries her darnedest to spend the entire time sniffing absolutely everything. To remedy this, on the weekends I walk her for one hour twice a day and I take routes with hills to walk up (she naps really well after this!). I also keep sprinting with her as long as she'll go before she demands more sniffing time.

My next thing is doing 30 day shred, which I started yesterday. I choose it specifically because it's less than 30 mins and I can do it at home. My daughter does her homework at the sitter while I'm at work except for her reading that she does at home. Her reading homework is 20 mins of reading followed by writing a summary of what she read. So fitting in 30 day shred is perfect in terms of time for my lifestyle and my goal of upping my exercise.

Anyways, my whole point is to find ways to incorporate it into your life. It's not easy, but it's possible. I get up at 6, get the entire house of people and animals ready for the day, go to work, leave work at 5:00, sit in traffic for one hour, go straight to daughter's extra curricular activities, we get home by about 8, and I try to do all nighttime stuff (homework, dinner, bath, teeth, and time together watching tv or playing games or whatever we want) by 9:30 so we can both go to bed.

So find what works for you. Start small if you have to work your way up. Park at places farther, walk stairs, do something while dinner is simmering, make the dog sprint a bit or walk 40 mins with her instead of 30. Look at your schedule and figure it out. We don't all have the same schedule, and that's okay. All I've done is figured out how to shoehorn exercise into mine.

Good luck! Don't give up.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    How do I make time for exercise? I take #NoExcuses.

You will find me there at 5am and sometimes at 9pm. Saturdays. Sundays. Etc. Working out and training are a priority, therefore I make time for them.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is so nice.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You don't have to work out for a full hour, or spend a lot of money, for it to make a difference. I have a couple of pairs of hand weights at home. With them I can do the 30 Day Shred (or other workouts on Youtube), which are less than 30 minutes a day. 30 Day Shred does not take up a lot a room but you do need to be able to lie down on your workout surface. There are also HIIT routines if you search online that take about 20 minutes or less. These often don't require any more equipment than your body and a workout surface, and will improve your strength, balance/coordination, and cardiovascular fitness. Or, you can create a dance playlist on Youtube, and dance until you sweat (doesn't require a lot of room, and is something you can do with a partner). You can use bodyweight to build strength if you don't have enough money for handweights. You can do a lot of bicep curls before you get your biceps popping the way pull-ups from your door frame will. I go on 30 minute jogs. You can try picking up the pace as you walk your dog. My sister's dog likes to do short jog sprints with me. It's very start-and-stop, but sprinting works that way. You can also do standing stretches, walking lunges one or two back and forth), jogging on the spot, jump rope (with no rope), or jumping jacks while you wait for your dog to do his business.

Delayed onset muscle soreness does get better as you go. Eventually you will miss it (or worry that your workout wasn't as effective). Try to make sure you are getting enough nutrition and protein to feed your workout. You can try epsom salt baths, or just soaking in warm water. DOMS can be a case of "hair of the dog", to resolve. You can try light aerobic activity, or going for a twoonie swim, to get the blood moving and move that lactic acid out of your system. My sister swears by L-Glutamine, and I find it works for me too.

Working out has many positive impacts in life. It improves quality of sleep. I find I function better on less sleep since I started working out. Your brain likes to use the lactate that hard work produces, and this can help you think more clearly. Exercise can help improve mood (seriously, it works :) ). Working out helps ensure that you lose fat from your mid-section. Reducing visceral fat lowers your risk for a lot of medical conditions like heart disease and diabetes. Exercise also helps you hold onto your lean mass when you are in a calorie deficit. You don't want dieting to end up hurting your bones and muscles (like your heart). There is also a real sense of accomplishment as you find yourself able to do things you were never abe to do before, and see the gains in your strength, speed, and flexibility.

Good for you for making positive changes in your life. I realy hope you find a way to bring fitness into your weight loss journey. Good luck :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    estitom wrote: »
    Everyone here is so honest.

FTFY
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    So basically your original post is giving us your reasons why you have trouble exercising and you're asking what we do to get around it. I get it, telling you to make time doesn't help, you want to know what works for us to get around the excuses.

Cold weather - I get it, I'm Canadian. Layers of clothing don't get in the way. One of the best workouts I get in the winter is when I take my kids tobogganing and you have to hike back up the hill. If squatting is too hard, march on the spot. Lift your knees as high as you can. Jog on the spot. I go for brisk walks in the winter wearing snow pants and a parka. Ok, but maybe walking outside in the winter isn't a good idea. What else?

$120 gym membership - I don't have a gym membership, I workout at home. Went to the Walmart, bought a bunch of hand weights. I do exercise videos and get ideas off of pinterest for workouts. Last time I set foot in a gym was when I was in university which was a decade ago. If you really want a gym, does your local rec centre have a gym? Those are always cheaper. What about the Y? They take financial situations into account when it comes to membership fees.

Cooking two meals - I'm a vegetarian, my husband and kids aren't. What I do is, one night I cook a vegetarian meal and make enough for two nights, the next night I cook a meat meal and make enough for two nights. That way I only cook one meal a day but the whole family has cooked meals to each eat night. And again, you can cook a large batch of something and freeze it. That cuts down on dinner time.

Forum stuff - how intensive is it? Are you typing/working for four hours straight. Or can you do a little work, then do some squats, then do a little work, then do some push ups, do a little work, do some jumping jacks, you get the picture. It's like the whole "while you're watching tv, do some exercise at the commercials" type thing.

You've done great to already make changes to your eating habits and you're seeing the reward of it. Now you need to make those changes when it comes to exercising. And here's the thing - we were all in your place once. We all had to start working out at some point. We all had excuses. But we got around them. And that's why we have the time to work out now and you don't. Like you said, you just need the motivation. This thread should be it. Everyone here has found the time and motivation, you can do it too!
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Rent or buy a treadmill desk for your night time computer work. :)
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Stop playing on your computer? problem solved....

Stop making excuses for everything too.... Let's be real here you said you went and it hurt guess what that pain is your body rebuilding it's self. Those pains go away over time and eventually you miss them!!

Seriously stop making excuses... you can wake up and early and go to the gym before work! I know your not a morning person... that's because your wasting your life on your computer at night!. Go to bed earlier and wake up early, eventually you adjust to it.

I think Tedebearduff has phrased this in a kind of unnecessarily unkind way, however I do have to agree. I thought similarly to you when I did some exercise last week (lol). I did some exercise (30DS L1(!)) and God, was my body feeling it. My elbows hurt SO BADLY. After a few days, and I did engage in some aerobic exercise but not too much during this time, my body returned to normal. I then did a few more days of exercise that involved strength training. I actually noticed, just from that exercise, definite definition in my muscles which is what's so cool about it. All that pain really wasn't anything to worry about and the new definition was obviously helping my body in terms of doing similar amounts of activity but with less pain.

I guess it's the body going 'Holy *kitten*! What the bloody hell is going on here?!' after it's been pretty sedentary for a while. I'd suggest continuing to do evening/night workouts, and I recommend FitnessBlender as it's something I can actually focus on, cause what the hell, it's only 30 minutes/hour and I can load up some kind of non-exercise video for my post-workout entertainment. Essentially I can bribe myself with laziness to do non-lazy things.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You you explain to me how it's unkind?

it looks pretty realistic about what needs to happen.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Stop playing on your computer? problem solved....

Stop making excuses for everything too.... Let's be real here you said you went and it hurt guess what that pain is your body rebuilding it's self. Those pains go away over time and eventually you miss them!!

Seriously stop making excuses... you can wake up and early and go to the gym before work! I know your not a morning person... that's because your wasting your life on your computer at night!. Go to bed earlier and wake up early, eventually you adjust to it.

I think Tedebearduff has phrased this in a kind of unnecessarily unkind way, however I do have to agree. I thought similarly to you when I did some exercise last week (lol). I did some exercise (30DS L1(!)) and God, was my body feeling it. My elbows hurt SO BADLY. After a few days, and I did engage in some aerobic exercise but not too much during this time, my body returned to normal. I then did a few more days of exercise that involved strength training. I actually noticed, just from that exercise, definite definition in my muscles which is what's so cool about it. All that pain really wasn't anything to worry about and the new definition was obviously helping my body in terms of doing similar amounts of activity but with less pain.

I guess it's the body going 'Holy *kitten*! What the bloody hell is going on here?!' after it's been pretty sedentary for a while. I'd suggest continuing to do evening/night workouts, and I recommend FitnessBlender as it's something I can actually focus on, cause what the hell, it's only 30 minutes/hour and I can load up some kind of non-exercise video for my post-workout entertainment. Essentially I can bribe myself with laziness to do non-lazy things.

Truth hurts.

• angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here at work with my gym bag by my feet. I just joined over the weekend. (No more excuses as to why I am not running due to darkness and cold weather!). I am going straight there after work. I told myself to do that yesterday but I did NOT take my bag to work. When I got home later (worked some OT yesterday) I was not up to heading back out. No excuse today!!!

I am also going to see if I can get myself to bed earlier some days, to go in the morning BEFORE work. Especially next week. (Since next week Monday is the ONLY day I have where I don't have to be somewhere in the evening!)
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Once you get into the groove, you wonder how you DIDN'T have time. There are so many little things you can do that really add up.

I pre-prepare EVERYTHING. I have 2 crockpots, and I use one to make soup for lunches that lasts me all week, and the other to make shredded chicken (different low-cal sauce every week!). I portion out my snacks for the week, and my breakfasts. BOOM! All done on Sunday night I have my weekday breakfasts, lunches, and dinners ready.

In terms of "not being a morning person", have you tried sleeping in your workout gear? Its comfy (or should be). And that way when you wake up you have no excuse not to go to the gym/workout (esp, if your breakfast and lunch are already ready to go).

If you bring your lunches, you can eat at your desk, and use your break for some exercise. My mentor at work and I will schedule quick "meetings" and talk while walking up and down the stairs.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    thx for the feedback all, true it's a must make time as opposed to find time....I get that but guess I just don't make the time and not really any point in listing anything else of excuses although many of the things mentioned currently arn't applicable to be doable (-40 degree weather being one, 120$+ gym membership another, it's just me the spouse hasn't gotton on board with the changes (which involves having to often cook two different meals), I do walk with the dog but i can't exactly keep walking when he stops to take a leak or other business and probably can't do a squat in about 4 layers of clothing).

Anyhow, all excuses I know.......obviously trying to get myself to stop making them and make time in my daily life for exercise but it's not easy regardless of the situation. It's easy for someone currently in a routine, and have made excercise a habbit to say you have to make the time than it is someone who isn't doing it to actually make the time.

I have made lots of changes to my eating for my health and am doing quite well, just trying to find ways to motivate myself to make time for working out without feeling like I'm giving up on ever having free time to relax and take care of some other things that I do like the forum stuff I mentioned and fact that I run poker stakes (ie. I play, they pay, profits split etc) which is as much a commitment as a part-time job.

Cheers to all, I hope someday I will get the committment to working out and find the motivation somewhere....certainly wasn't from this (i know its constructive criticism and I respect that but definitely not a motivation when mainly just everyone saying you just have to make the time..... like everything its easier said than done unless your already doing it).

You're right. They ARE all excuses. Don't you think though that those people who "already do it" -- myself included -- made excuses at some point? Don't you think that the routine that we have developed is BECAUSE we sucked it up, stopped the excuses and found the time to exercise?

You DO have the time to exercise you're just choosing not to. Many people have pointed out that you could exercise instead of going on the computer and playing your poker. Make all your meals in advance on Sunday and then just reheat them the rest of the week so you don't spend hours "making dinner". So you can't afford a gym. Ok, fine. I get that but you probably CAN afford a few bucks for some DVD's to pop in and do in the evening. So you're not a morning person. Neither am I but I make the effort to get my butt up early in the morning most days of the week so that I can get my exercise in so there are no excuses not to workout every day.

But you're right. You won't be able to do it because you have already made up your mind that you won't because you don't have time. The reality is you don't want to make the time.

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    thx for the feedback all, true it's a must make time as opposed to find time....I get that but guess I just don't make the time and not really any point in listing anything else of excuses although many of the things mentioned currently arn't applicable to be doable (-40 degree weather being one, 120$+ gym membership another, it's just me the spouse hasn't gotton on board with the changes (which involves having to often cook two different meals), I do walk with the dog but i can't exactly keep walking when he stops to take a leak or other business and probably can't do a squat in about 4 layers of clothing).

Anyhow, all excuses I know.......obviously trying to get myself to stop making them and make time in my daily life for exercise but it's not easy regardless of the situation. It's easy for someone currently in a routine, and have made excercise a habbit to say you have to make the time than it is someone who isn't doing it to actually make the time.

I have made lots of changes to my eating for my health and am doing quite well, just trying to find ways to motivate myself to make time for working out without feeling like I'm giving up on ever having free time to relax and take care of some other things that I do like the forum stuff I mentioned and fact that I run poker stakes (ie. I play, they pay, profits split etc) which is as much a commitment as a part-time job.

Cheers to all, I hope someday I will get the committment to working out and find the motivation somewhere....certainly wasn't from this (i know its constructive criticism and I respect that but definitely not a motivation when mainly just everyone saying you just have to make the time..... like everything its easier said than done unless your already doing it).

At least you are honest about your current feelings. However, you also asked for a reason (your underlying desire to improve your health and most likely continue with more weight loss). Most of us started small. Walking more. Hand held weights. Body weight only exercise. 10 minutes here. 15 minutes there. Then increased to 20 minutes here. 30 minutes there. As the body adapted and the results start to show, we increased from there to make it and keep it a part of our routine. 4 times a week. 5 times a week. 6 times a week. Rome wasn't built in a day. Start small, and you will see how easy it is to work in 10 minutes a day here, 15 minutes a day there (in addition to your dog walks).

Nike has a great slogan:

15308660984_b89aa1064f.jpg

Niner Bikes out of California has a great slogan:

15930248252_72474dffb4.jpg

Exercise releases some wonderful endorphins. Decreases your stress. Softens anxiety. Helps keep depression at bay. Promotes happiness. And it's a free drug!!!!

How did we all do it? We just did it, damn it! ;-)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start exercising again, I was doing well in the first week of my new health changes until a nightly workout got me so sore I could barely move for two days and havn't been able to get back into it since (this was about 6-7 weeks ago now).

There are just not enough hours in the day, and I am so NOT a morning person to be able to get up early and work out. I typically throw myself into bed around 12-1Am and am up at 7:30am at the latest to get ready and out the door for work.

I get home from work around 5:30pm and then I start getting supper situated and usually finish up cooking/eating around 7pm....then its time to take the pooch out for his nightly round (about 20-30min usually, which is some movement but sometimes much of it is spent just standing and not moving lol).

By this time I'm exhausted and just come back and sit on the computer for pretty much the rest of the evening, to take care of some forum duities I have as a guide (it's a poker forum) and do a little playing and before I know it it's midnight and so its time to get to bed and do it all again.

How on earth am I suppose to get possibly an hour's workout into this, not to mention our apartment is so couped up that I have to shift around a couch and chair to make room to workout.......feels like I'll probably never get back into it.

Maybe someone has some suggestions for me?

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure you weren't sore for six or seven weeks. Ease up the intensity of the routine, clearly your body isn't ready for what you did quite yet.

As for time, you choose to be a forum guide for a website. I'm guessing that pays nothing, correct? If so, resign. There is your workout time right there.

As others have said, your post is along list of excuses why you CAN'T do something. We all have excuses, most of us make the time because we think fitness is important enough to us.

If it's important to you, you'll make the time as well. If not, you won't.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    What is important to you? If the answer is no change to your life then stay where you are. If you want change you have to make change. Do something you like and fit it in. You only need maybe an hour a few times a week. Find it!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I am so NOT a morning person to be able to get up early and work out.
    That's just an excuse.

By this time I'm exhausted
    Another excuse.

not to mention our apartment is so couped up that I have to shift around a couch and chair to make room to workout
    Yet another excuse.

You'll make time if it's truly important to you. And if it's not, you won't.

Everyone has different priorities. If your priorities are sleep and poker, then that's fine... but own your priorities... don't whine about not having enough time. No one has enough time to do EVERYTHING they want to do, so we make time to do what's more important and sacrifice what isn't.

You need to decide what's more important, then own that decision.

Fully agree with this. My wife and I have to: get up early sometimes to work out; rearrange furniture to workout indoors during the winter; and sacrifice things we want to do, like sitting around, dicking around in the web, playing videogames or just spending time together, so we can work out. Heck, that last one is called being an adult. I can't tell you how many hours I've skipped out on doing stuff that I want to do for leisure, so I could winterize the house, do yardwork, clean dishes or laundry, write research papers for my teacher certification (that one is still hypothetical, but will be happening in the very near future). Learn to be a morning person, go to bed earlier, and sacrifice things you want to do. In other words, join the club!
  • m_johannes
    m_johannes Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Speaking personally, things like the tv, computer, and phone are the biggest distractions. I have to have a phone and I do like to watch the news, but I don't even own a computer anymore. When you learn to unplug, turn the tv off, and refuse to answer the phone, you will find a wealth of time in your day that you didn't know you had. Those things are not as important as they might seem.
  • AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I make a habit of going directly to the gym right when I leave work at 5pm during the week. It keeps me from going home and getting comfy- I don't even think about it because it is just a part of my routine. Just take a gym bag with you and hit it!