Making a Lifestyle Change (or Plus Sized and OK with it)

Options

Replies

• shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I started at 340 lbs - my original goal was to lose some weight to get healthier - I was diabetic and starting to have back pains from carrying the extra weight around. I would have been thrilled to end up at 199 (which would have put me just out of the plus sizes @ a size 14-16 US and into the famed onderland) It would have left me still overweight by BMI but I would have been OK with that. As it worked out when I got there, my goals changed and I kept going and lost around 200 lbs total so I am now in the 140's with a healthy "normal" BMI - if the OP wants to start losing weight and be healthier, any starting goal should be fine - the fact is, she is doing something - if she decides to stop or keep going, that is really up to her. So OP, congratulations on working towards getting healthier - no matter what your ultimate goal is.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    if you have a significant amount of belly fat, you likely have a significant amount of visceral fat, which is, as far as i've read, one of the most dangerous things about being overweight. this fat can be invisible - even skinny sedentary people can have visceral fat!

i thought i wanted to be healthy but still "plus sized" at first, too, but what i have learned since then tells me that it's an oxymoron. if you're not one of those lucky ladies who carries extra fat primarily in her chest and butt, then you probably won't be healthy at a "plus size".

it's great to set a goal you think is attainable and reasonable for you and i fully believe that you have every right to be comfortable in your own skin however you want to be. however, if health is your goal i advise thoroughly researching visceral fat and being honest with yourself about your expectations, and what they will (and won't) do for your level of risk.
  • bulbadoof
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You, who criticize her will probably struggle with weight and self-esteem issues your entire life. You will likely be yo-yo dieters. Oh, and I am basing that FACT on weight loss research.
    you can't say things like 'probably' and 'likely' and then call it 'fact'. that's a massive contradiction. fact either is or isn't, and can be repeatedly proven so.

a health coach/dietitian that misuses the term 'fact' is actually kind of an alarming thought.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    I went from a size 18/20w to 2/4 petite, smaller than I have ever been as an adult, but still considered 'overweight'! That number on the scale is deceiving, only you know where you will be the happiest. I also totally understand the frustration from reading some of the forums, I would not look good being under 120 pounds based on my height, given my body shape and genetic makeup! Pick your goal, still read the forums - they help keep the motivation up but still be true to yourself. You will do great!!!

Wait, what?! You are still considered "overweight" at a size 2-4??? How is that possible? I am at 2/4 and am at 19-20 BMI. How odd the BMI scale is!

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Why are people concern trolling? An adult can make up her own mind about her own body, whether others approve, or understand, or not. This really burns my biscuits.

+1

+2 I don't understand. A person has a right to decide what their goals are and where they feel best.

• bulbadoof
    Options
    Linnaea27 wrote: »
    I went from a size 18/20w to 2/4 petite, smaller than I have ever been as an adult, but still considered 'overweight'! That number on the scale is deceiving, only you know where you will be the happiest. I also totally understand the frustration from reading some of the forums, I would not look good being under 120 pounds based on my height, given my body shape and genetic makeup! Pick your goal, still read the forums - they help keep the motivation up but still be true to yourself. You will do great!!!

Wait, what?! You are still considered "overweight" at a size 2-4??? How is that possible? I am at 2/4 and am at 19-20 BMI. How odd the BMI scale is!
    bmi doesn't take muscle mass into account. muscle is denser than fat, thereby a muscular person will weigh more but also be smaller.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Why are people concern trolling? An adult can make up her own mind about her own body, whether others approve, or understand, or not. This really burns my biscuits.

burns my biscuits too I agree
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    popcorn_seinfeld.gif
  • CrmpetsNTea
    CrmpetsNTea Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Serah87 wrote: »
    popcorn_seinfeld.gif

You win this thread. LOL! :smiley:

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »

bmi doesn't take muscle mass into account. muscle is denser than fat, thereby a muscular person will weigh more but also be smaller.

In addition to muscle mass, people of African descent have higher bone mineral density than other races. The commonly used height-weight charts have not been revised since 1983 and (my assumption based on the lack of parity in medical trials at the time) may not have accurately sampled non-whites.

She's telling the truth when she says she's overweight but 2/4, but only because the ideal weight charts don't seem to reflect non-white communities. (Many Asian and indigenous Americans have lighter bone mineral density.)

ethnicteen.gif

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »

In addition to muscle mass, people of African descent have higher bone mineral density than other races. The commonly used height-weight charts have not been revised since 1983 and (my assumption based on the lack of parity in medical trials at the time) may not have accurately sampled non-whites.

She's telling the truth when she says she's overweight but 2/4, but only because the ideal weight charts don't seem to reflect non-white communities. (Many Asian and indigenous Americans have lighter bone mineral density.)

ethnicteen.gif

I wonder if that puts those of African descent in less danger of osteoporosis?

I also wonder what the reaction would be if I announced on this public forum that I had decided to cut down on smoking because I want to be healthier. I currently smoke three packs a day, and I want to cut down to one pack a day to improve my health and decrease my risk of disease...but I don't want to quit because I love smoking.

• ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Tea! This is a really big community, we all log calories to lose weight, and it's so easy to fall into the idea that the goal is all about weight loss and being beautifully slender. To me, though, and I think ultimately to most people here, the goal is fitness and health. Which is what I think you're really saying.

Personally, I actually WOULD be OK with being overweight ... if I was also fit enough to do what I want to do (mainly in the hiking category), if I was a "pear" and not an "apple" (less belly fat = less chances of heart problems/diabetes etc), and so on. Which I don't think is impossible at all. I've definitely seen some attractive, glowing, mountain-climbing, enthusiastically exercising women and men who I'm sure clock in as "overweight."

Incidentally, I haven't gotten to my own goal yet (which is the top of my healthy weight range), but I have gotten to "pear" -- which means, first, that I'm fortunate enough to be genetically coded to lose weight that way, and also that you CAN be overweight and still hit some "healthy" benchmarks.

As I mentioned, I'm aiming for healthy weight range, but I also have a lot less to lose than you, so it's not so blasted intimidating -- just a little bit intimidating, and less so as time passes :smile: I'd say go for "healthy" and be comfortable in your own body at whatever size you happen to be. You may even find yourself dropping out of that "plus size" eventually, too! But of course it doesn't have to be your goal right now. Or ever. It's your body and your choice, and I love your attitude :smile:

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    For the purpose of throwing it out there… I am one of those who has her "goal weight" set as one that will still be considered "overweight (about 5-10 lbs)." I am choosing my goal weight not so much as the goal as my "maintenance weight." When I get to that level, I will change my goals to maintain. I expect that I may still lose a few pounds as I try to up my calories to that level. Also, I know I can expect a great deal of loose skin. After about 6 months of maintaining, I will probably start looking at skin removal surgery. And if what I've read is correct… I will likely lose 10-20 pounds of skin (200 pound weight loss). Which will put me comfortably in "normal" weight range.

I don't know what the OP's plan is… I'm just explaining the reasoning behind mine as I also have my "goal" set at "overweight."
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    There is a definition of "plus size" starting at a size 14 or 16, which for 99% of women would be overweight, if not obese (I was obese at a size 16, and I'm 5'8"). By remaining this weight, she is continuing to put herself at a much higher risk for diabetes, a heart attack, etc, not the mention the damage to joints and knees. So her health improves slightly, but not enough. Why would you want to put yourself at a higher risk for devastating diseases?

Heck, I'm in a size 12 now and am still considered obese (7lbs until I'm only overweight!). But I'm also 5'3", so a size 12 is pretty big for my height.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread delivers.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Heck, I'm in a size 12 now and am still considered obese (7lbs until I'm only overweight!). But I'm also 5'3", so a size 12 is pretty big for my height.

That is really interesting. Body type must be a bigger factor than I realized. I'm 5 foot 2 and was a Size 14 when I started, and overweight but not obese. (I'm sure I'd have been a Size 16 if I'd put on another five pounds, which would have put me in the obese range.) Now I'm a Size 12 and five pounds from my healthy weight range. I think a lot has to do with body type, but I'm not understanding how that can translate to obese at a Size 12. I guess people just carry weight a lot differently.

Recently I was having a conversation about weight with several women in my family who are quite toned and fit (do regular farm work) but because of genetics/body build have an "apple shape." They were all my height or shorter and weighed less than me, yet measured more around the waist. Not unhealthy in terms of lung capacity and daily exercise and so on, but carrying fat on the belly meant they were equally or even more overweight than me (and potentially more at risk in some ways) in spite of weighing less AND being more healthy and fit!

So ... I guess it's definitely not "one size fits all," even for similar height/clothing size!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

That is really interesting. Body type must be a bigger factor than I realized. I'm 5 foot 2 and was a Size 14 when I started, and overweight but not obese. (I'm sure I'd have been a Size 16 if I'd put on another five pounds, which would have put me in the obese range.) Now I'm a Size 12 and five pounds from my healthy weight range. I think a lot has to do with body type, but I'm not understanding how that can translate to obese at a Size 12. I guess people just carry weight a lot differently.

Recently I was having a conversation about weight with several women in my family who are quite toned and fit (do regular farm work) but because of genetics/body build have an "apple shape." They were all my height or shorter and weighed less than me, yet measured more around the waist. Not unhealthy in terms of lung capacity and daily exercise and so on, but carrying fat on the belly meant they were equally or even more overweight than me (and potentially more at risk in some ways) in spite of weighing less AND being more healthy and fit!

So ... I guess it's definitely not "one size fits all," even for similar height/clothing size!
    Yup. I'm 176lbs at 5'3" which is a BMI of 31.2 (greater than 30 is considered obese). I've been losing pretty slowly and been working out (cardio & strength), so I'm hoping that means that I've retained some muscle mass.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You, who criticize her will probably struggle with weight and self-esteem issues your entire life. You will likely be yo-yo dieters. Oh, and I am basing that FACT on weight loss research.

I don't think those of us who criticize will necessarily struggle with body image and self-esteem issues. It's not that simple.

I have come to seriously love myself more through this process, I know I'm not where I want to be but I know I'm closer than I was 2 years ago. I have sent a goal for myself to lose 120 lbs, to start. That would put me at 200 even. Then I'd like to see where I can go to drop another 30ish. Even dropping to 170/180 still puts me at overweight in BMI but I don't know what I will look like at that weight so I want to do it and see.

I'm not on a diet, nor have I ever been . . . other than maybe the see food diet haha . . . . I think saying we will face weight and self esteem issues forever is a little harsh. I don't think this is exactly fair and we're trying to just understand why she wants to only reduce chances of health complications if she can get rid of them entirely.

Yo-yo dieting is something completely different. Many people have done it in the past and they have come to realize it just does not work. I think your message is really out of context to what this thread is trying to get across/understand.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    For the purpose of throwing it out there… I am one of those who has her "goal weight" set as one that will still be considered "overweight (about 5-10 lbs)." I am choosing my goal weight not so much as the goal as my "maintenance weight." When I get to that level, I will change my goals to maintain. I expect that I may still lose a few pounds as I try to up my calories to that level. Also, I know I can expect a great deal of loose skin. After about 6 months of maintaining, I will probably start looking at skin removal surgery. And if what I've read is correct… I will likely lose 10-20 pounds of skin (200 pound weight loss). Which will put me comfortably in "normal" weight range.

I don't know what the OP's plan is… I'm just explaining the reasoning behind mine as I also have my "goal" set at "overweight."

I'm the same way, I had lots of smaller goals, so this whole thing didn't feel overwhelming. I've adjusted and added goals as I've seen progress.

As to the rest of you who are outraged at this thread - there were maybe two posts that could be considered rude. The rest were posted to either understand a new concept, or to try to help the OP understand that being plus sized is perfectly awesome if that's what you want, but if your end goal is to try to be healthy, staying plus sized long term will, in all likelihood, cause you to not succeed in the goal of health.

The above comparison to cutting back, but not quitting smoking is a great one. Yes, it will improve your health, yes, smoking 1 pack a day vs 3 is a good choice - but in the long run, you're still damaging yourself.

If Tea wants to lose 55 pound and stop - cool. If she wants to lose 55 pounds and then reassess, cool. If she doesn't want to lose a single pound, cool. No one is saying she should want to be thin, or look a certain way. She should look exactly how she wants to.

Hell I'm 174 pounds right now. 5'4", a size 12. I'm actually pretty happy with how my body looks, and if I were losing simply for vanity (nothing wrong with that), I'd just stop here. But my ultimate goal is to get in a normal BMI range, because I have insulin resistance and I *really* don't want to get diabetes. I have no desire to be skinny or have a certain type of body - my desire is to be healthy and not be on medication for the rest of my life.

So no one is trying to be mean, make her be a certain size/thinness or tell her she's hopeless. There's a lot of unnecessary anger and drama going on in this thread.
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You know I can totally relate to this thread. I am/have ALWAYS since I was a kid been chubby/over weight/ obese. I am doing something about it before any health issues arise and I am okay with in the end result being pleasantly plump. I think it is because I have always been overweight so it is like a shield or comfort zone. It protects me from matters of the heart haha literally and not so literally. I still want a juicy caboosie when I am done just not the whole train. When this time comes I guess I will decide then if I want to be less. I don't know maybe not everyone can understand this emotionally/mentally but it is my outlook on it for what it is worth :-)