Making a Lifestyle Change (or Plus Sized and OK with it)

Options
12345679»

Replies

• maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options

Heck, I'm in a size 12 now and am still considered obese (7lbs until I'm only overweight!). But I'm also 5'3", so a size 12 is pretty big for my height.

That is really interesting. Body type must be a bigger factor than I realized. I'm 5 foot 2 and was a Size 14 when I started, and overweight but not obese. (I'm sure I'd have been a Size 16 if I'd put on another five pounds, which would have put me in the obese range.) Now I'm a Size 12 and five pounds from my healthy weight range. I think a lot has to do with body type, but I'm not understanding how that can translate to obese at a Size 12. I guess people just carry weight a lot differently.

Recently I was having a conversation about weight with several women in my family who are quite toned and fit (do regular farm work) but because of genetics/body build have an "apple shape." They were all my height or shorter and weighed less than me, yet measured more around the waist. Not unhealthy in terms of lung capacity and daily exercise and so on, but carrying fat on the belly meant they were equally or even more overweight than me (and potentially more at risk in some ways) in spite of weighing less AND being more healthy and fit!

So ... I guess it's definitely not "one size fits all," even for similar height/clothing size!
    Yup. I'm 176lbs at 5'3" which is a BMI of 31.2 (greater than 30 is considered obese). I've been losing pretty slowly and been working out (cardio & strength), so I'm hoping that means that I've retained some muscle mass.

Are we confusing UK and US 12's here? At a 12 UK and the same height I could be overweight but not obese. I also have my goals set to end up overweight by 14lb because having been that size before and with my general body make up (i have broad shoulders/back and big muscular arms and legs from nursing and sport) it really suits me and Im a comfy size 12
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Why are people concern trolling? An adult can make up her own mind about her own body, whether others approve, or understand, or not. This really burns my biscuits.

She asked for people's opinions and people are giving them. How is that concern trolling?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

Heck, I'm in a size 12 now and am still considered obese (7lbs until I'm only overweight!). But I'm also 5'3", so a size 12 is pretty big for my height.

That is really interesting. Body type must be a bigger factor than I realized. I'm 5 foot 2 and was a Size 14 when I started, and overweight but not obese. (I'm sure I'd have been a Size 16 if I'd put on another five pounds, which would have put me in the obese range.) Now I'm a Size 12 and five pounds from my healthy weight range. I think a lot has to do with body type, but I'm not understanding how that can translate to obese at a Size 12. I guess people just carry weight a lot differently.

Recently I was having a conversation about weight with several women in my family who are quite toned and fit (do regular farm work) but because of genetics/body build have an "apple shape." They were all my height or shorter and weighed less than me, yet measured more around the waist. Not unhealthy in terms of lung capacity and daily exercise and so on, but carrying fat on the belly meant they were equally or even more overweight than me (and potentially more at risk in some ways) in spite of weighing less AND being more healthy and fit!

So ... I guess it's definitely not "one size fits all," even for similar height/clothing size!
    Yup. I'm 176lbs at 5'3" which is a BMI of 31.2 (greater than 30 is considered obese). I've been losing pretty slowly and been working out (cardio & strength), so I'm hoping that means that I've retained some muscle mass.

Are we confusing UK and US 12's here? At a 12 UK and the same height I could be overweight but not obese. I also have my goals set to end up overweight by 14lb because having been that size before and with my general body make up (i have broad shoulders/back and big muscular arms and legs from nursing and sport) it really suits me and Im a comfy size 12

Probably. My original comment was directed to the discussion that plus sizes start at size 14, which is standard in the US for plus size clothing lines. So yes, that discussion is about the US sizing standards and I'm also referring to US sizes for myself.
  • sdavies1984
    sdavies1984 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    trolling...
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Are we confusing UK and US 12's here?

On the rather off-topic and yet interesting global comparison of sizes, I was thinking US sizes, but only pants sizes. Global size conversion ends up being like Google translate, LOL.

(FWIW I buy jeans in US sizes but everything else is Indian sizes. Which is European sizes, sort of, but totally confuses the issue because the cut is completely different -- e.g. looser at hip and waist. I generally wear 36s in kurti tops, but a European 36 for jeans supposedly equals a US size 4 and HA HA HA riiiiight, I'd use that as a pencil holder :smile: )

So, yeah, that explains a lot. I think. Sort of. :smile:

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think people are over-analyzing the "plus-sized" comment somewhat. If I had (hypothetically) said back when "my goal is 150, which will leave me plus-sized," I'd have meant will leave me technically overweight. I wouldn't have been referring to any particular size, since who knows what size you will be at a particular weight unless you'd been that weight recently, and even then you might be wrong.

As it happens I was around a 10 at 150, so not in fact plus sized, but I don't see that as making the comment wrong, and if I'd been 205, say, for years, I might not have had any idea what to expect at a weight 55 lbs lighter. Indeed, there are comments here all the time from people in the plus sizes wondering how they've lost 20-30 lbs and not gone down a size.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first week and best of luck :)
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first week and your decision to be healthier! I found as I lost weight my thinking about what my goal weight was and my ideals changed somewhat. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your present goals or that they need changing - but I think it's good to leave yourself open to other possibilities. Maybe it's something like declaring a major in your college freshman year: it's a good idea and it might help you stay focused but you may decide along the way that something else will work better for you. And either choice is OK.
  • rag9779
    rag9779 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am ok as a plus size but not this much plus. But I realized after i became ill that i created a monster with cokes and fried food. I need to have a lifestyle change.