Beginning runner using C25k

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Your story resonates with mine on so many levels. I am taking C25K through the local Running Room, and they have been starting me slow and easy. I've just completed four sets of 1 and 4 (about 20 mins) this past week and tonight they warned me they will be speeding things up. I feel ready. I am stronger.
  • AShannon54
    AShannon54 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I typically allow two rest days before an organized race. Like the previous poster mentioned, I try to still get some low intensity exercise in. I personally like to do a long but easy walk two days before and then just stretching the day before. But of course listen to your own body and if you need more or less... than just do what feels appropriate for yourself.

I try not to do anything new just before or on race day. I try to eat the same things at the same times as a normal run day. I don't like to use new shoes, shirts or shots on race day either. I don't want some unexpected surprise.
  • AShannon54
    Options
    and congrats on reaching week 8! You are so close to the end!!!!! :D
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I only rested for a day before my race. I did my last run on Friday then ran on Saturday. Assuming you're not sore from your runs, you could do something similar or maybe throw in an extra day. I hope you'll report back after your race!
  • wulfax
    wulfax Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Program: C25k Week 8 Day 2
    Date: 12/02/2014
    Start time: 6:24 pm

Goals:
      • Complete run portions of program
      • Increase my pace

Distance: 3.1 miles
    Duration: 51:51 (10th out of the 23 I have done)
    Ave Pace: 16:44
    Change from last attempt: -04:46
    Change from W1D1 (Oct 7, 58:58): -07:07
    Change from fastest time (W7D3, Nov 24: 48:10): +03:41

This day was one 28-minute jog.

I learned how important warming up is on this day. When I went out to run, it was sprinkling so I skipped my normal warm up (usually lasts about 20 minutes) because I did not want to be caught in the rain. I felt beat-up within the first mile and never really found my groove. To top it off it stopped sprinkling within a few minutes and never did rain.

I am just getting back into this after my week off and even though I was disappointed with my pace, I was satisfied with my mental toughness on this run.

This Thursday my daughter has a function at her school, so I will go out running later than normal. However, my goal is to increase my pace on the next run. I would love to beat my fastest pace thus far. My goal is to get a sub 45 minute run in before I do my organized 5k on the 20th. I believe I can do it.

Goal Achievement:

o Completed all the run portions.

• Increase my pace
      o As I stated above, shot myself in the foot by not doing my warm-up. However, even without that, I didn’t do too bad (for me). I have faith in myself that I will keep improving as long as I get out there and move.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    wulfax wrote: »
    Originally I decided that I wanted to get my weight under 240 lbs. before I started running (I didn’t want to hurt my joints or my feet). But when I was out there walking and listening to my music, a song would come on, it would pump me up, and I would want to run. So I decided, screw it, I will try to run.

I just bumped into this post.

This is exactly how I started. Except I had never run anything and started at 310. I, too, started with walking and the music got me to run a bit. After a couple of months I did c25k. Now, a year later, I'm doing anywhere from 5 miles (my short run) to 13.1 (my longest).

Good luck on finishing the program and continuing your running after that!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get a sub 45 minute run in before I do my organized 5k on the 20th. I believe I can do it.

So do I.

Good luck dude!

• shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Oh, and while you definitely are a "runner", you didn't earn the right to call yourself a "cold weather runner". I'm running these days in 35° weather and I'm told that this isn't called cold yet (NY City).

I also noticed you mentioned you use MapMyRun. I use MapMyRun as well as Strava. Strava is much more accurate in terms of mileage. Also consider investing in a decent running watch. I bough the Garmin Forerunner 310xt on ebay for about $100 with the HRM strap. I find it very useful.
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Strangly enough I was thinking about the hand clenching last night when I was out. I carry my phone with me (apps for C25k, mapmyfitness, and my music) in one hand and try to alternate it back and forth, but being right handed I feel more comfortable with it in that hand. I think I need to get one of those arm bands that I can put my phone in so I don't have to carry it.

I use a SPIbelt. It's like a small elastic lumbar pack. Because of the elastic, the stuff you put in it doesn't bounce around. It's not waterproof, though, so if you sweat a lot, or run in the rain (what fun!), use a ziplock bag for anything that might be damaged by moisture.

Glad you are enjoying the C25K program. I used one with the RunDouble app if you ever want to try a different program. As to hands-free running, I love my RunningBuddy - a kind of pouch you wear tucked into the waistband of your shorts or pants. It doesn't bounce or flop around. It is held together magnetically and it comes in many sizes to accommodate Mp3s, different phones, etc. It can hold a bit of cash, your keys. I have a Samsung Note II phone which is huge, and I use that for my music during my runs. The RunningBuddy pouch can totally handle the size and the weight and I run without feeling like I'm carrying anything. and nothing strapped to my arms either! Check it out! They have their own website but I notice they are also for sale on Amazon.
  • AShannon54
    Options
    You rock! I can't wait to hear about your race on the 20th. I am excited for you!
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Last night I was a bit tired as I've been cycling to/from work for a few days, so I got up this morning for a run before work.

I was pretty nervous as it's W4D1 so leaping from 90 seconds and 3 minutes jog alternatives to 3 mins and 5 mins.
    And I did it!!

I was VERY slow, and I didn't give a damn. The slow tortoise and all that... I didn't falter during the 5 mins - just focused on the radio I was listening to until the app told me to start walking.

I'm so chuffed!
    Plus, first time, possibly ever, that I've done anything before work.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Last night I was a bit tired as I've been cycling to/from work for a few days, so I got up this morning for a run before work.

I was pretty nervous as it's W4D1 so leaping from 90 seconds and 3 minutes jog alternatives to 3 mins and 5 mins.
    And I did it!!

I was VERY slow, and I didn't give a damn. The slow tortoise and all that... I didn't falter during the 5 mins - just focused on the radio I was listening to until the app told me to start walking.

I'm so chuffed!

<3
  • wulfax
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Program: C25k Week 8 Day 3
    Date: 12/04/2014
    Start time: 5:24 pm

Goals:
    • Increase my pace

Distance: 3.1 miles
    Duration: 46:08 (1st out of the 24 I have done)
    Ave Pace: 14:53
    Change from last attempt: -05:43
    Change from W1D1 (Oct 7, 58:58): -12:50
    Change from fastest time (W7D3, Nov 24: 48:10): -02:02, New record!!!

This day was one 28-minute jog.

Work has been a little hectic lately and I haven’t been able to respond to people’s comments, so let me do that first.
    shmulyeng wrote: »
    Oh, and while you definitely are a "runner", you didn't earn the right to call yourself a "cold weather runner". I'm running these days in 35° weather and I'm told that this isn't called cold yet (NY City).

I also noticed you mentioned you use MapMyRun. I use MapMyRun as well as Strava. Strava is much more accurate in terms of mileage. Also consider investing in a decent running watch. I bough the Garmin Forerunner 310xt on ebay for about $100 with the HRM strap. I find it very useful.

As far as the weather thing goes, I agree with that to a point, I used to live in Washington and I didn’t go outside for most of the year. However, it is all what you are used to, I live in AZ now and when it gets in the low 50’s, I feel the cold. At the same time, When I started running in September, I had to wait until 8pm or so before I would go run, and it would still be in the high 90’s.

For MapMyFitness, what I did was map out a course before hand and I run the same one every time. The mileage is calculated as per the map and sometimes it may be off by a few feet, I always end up at the same place when I hit 3.1 miles. Eventually I may deviate from this, but to be honest, I like the route, it takes me all through and around my neighborhood and I am actually getting to be enough of a fixture that people smile encouragingly at me and wave, pretty cool.
    parsonsk64 wrote: »
    Glad you are enjoying the C25K program. I used one with the RunDouble app if you ever want to try a different program. As to hands-free running, I love my RunningBuddy - a kind of pouch you wear tucked into the waistband of your shorts or pants. It doesn't bounce or flop around. It is held together magnetically and it comes in many sizes to accommodate Mp3s, different phones, etc. It can hold a bit of cash, your keys. I have a Samsung Note II phone which is huge, and I use that for my music during my runs. The RunningBuddy pouch can totally handle the size and the weight and I run without feeling like I'm carrying anything. and nothing strapped to my arms either! Check it out! They have their own website but I notice they are also for sale on Amazon.

I looked at the RunningBuddy, looks good, I am going to order one. I looked at the RunDouble program, will talk about that in the run write up more.

And I did it!!

I'm so chuffed!

That is awesome! Keep up the good work. I am not a morning person and it is always hard for me to exercise in the morning.

In my opinion (take that as you will) these first weeks in C25k are important for your confidence and will. Every time I hit a new week and was able to complete the run portion it gave me such confidence and gave me a boost to my willpower for the next time I ran. I would always say to myself, “I ran 90 seconds last week, all I am doing is running 90 seconds more, I can do this!”

Ok, on to my write up.

So, I never mentioned this, but ever since W7D1 I have ‘run’ the entire 5k. On that day it took me 53:10 and my average pace was 17:08 (hence why I put run in quotation marks). What this means to me is that I have reached a crossroads in my pursuit of my running goal. I have the ability to run at a turtle’s pace for a 5k and I am hugely unsatisfied with that. So I tried to increase my pace through 4 more runs (W7D2 - W8D2) and while I was able to get my fastest pace at 48:10, I also got my 2nd slowest at 56:37.

parsonsk64 recommended RunDouble for a change of pace so I decided to look at it. Well that app has a program to help increase your pace. So, last night I keyed it up and went for it.

A few notes about what I did before I went for the run. My daughter had a holiday pageant at her school, so I went home early and did a few chores. My plan had been to put on my running clothes, walk to her school, then does my warm-up from her school to my 5k starting line. Well, I was behind schedulte, so I had to run to her school, which was actually a good warm-up. I still did an additional warm-up to my starting line.

To be honest, doing the W1D1 of the 5k improver felt like doing W1D1 of C25k. I was dripping buckets of sweat and for the first time in weeks my breathing was labored. I want to go over my split times here real quick.
      •1 mile split    [o] Slowest       [•] 15:13    [o] Fastest       [•] 14:55 •½ mile split    [o] Slowest       [•] 15:14    [o] Fastest       [•] 14:48 •1/10th mile split    [o] Slowest       [•] 18:05 (at the 0.5 mile mark)    [o] Fastest       [•] 11:14 (at the 0.2 mile mark)

I like the program and the way it works, it is based on distance, not time. It has you run 0.19 miles then walk briskly for 0.06 miles. While this is very much like the C25k program, the change from time to distance is significant I think. For the run portions I would open up and try to go at a much faster pace, but not a sprint. To be honest, I wasn’t able to keep that pace up for the full .19 miles and would have to slow back down in order to maintain the run.

As for results on this one day try, I got my fastest time to date, actually blew away my prior fastest time by 2:02! This Saturday I am going to be out of town again, but my goal is to try the treadmill for the first time, curious to see how that goes.

For the future, I think I am going to use the RunDouble 5k improver.

Goal Achievement:

• Increase my pace
      o Beat my fastest by 2:02! We will see how this goes in the future, but I am really encouraged by this jump in time.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Wulfax wrote:

Ok, on to my write up.

So, I never mentioned this, but ever since W7D1 I have ‘run’ the entire 5k. On that day it took me 53:10 and my average pace was 17:08 (hence why I put run in quotation marks). What this means to me is that I have reached a crossroads in my pursuit of my running goal. I have the ability to run at a turtle’s pace for a 5k and I am hugely unsatisfied with that. So I tried to increase my pace through 4 more runs (W7D2 - W8D2) and while I was able to get my fastest pace at 48:10, I also got my 2nd slowest at 56:37.

parsonsk64 recommended RunDouble for a change of pace so I decided to look at it. Well that app has a program to help increase your pace. So, last night I keyed it up and went for it.

A few notes about what I did before I went for the run. My daughter had a holiday pageant at her school, so I went home early and did a few chores. My plan had been to put on my running clothes, walk to her school, then does my warm-up from her school to my 5k starting line. Well, I was behind schedulte, so I had to run to her school, which was actually a good warm-up. I still did an additional warm-up to my starting line.

To be honest, doing the W1D1 of the 5k improver felt like doing W1D1 of C25k. I was dripping buckets of sweat and for the first time in weeks my breathing was labored. I want to go over my split times here real quick.

I like the program and the way it works, it is based on distance, not time. It has you run 0.19 miles then walk briskly for 0.06 miles. While this is very much like the C25k program, the change from time to distance is significant I think. For the run portions I would open up and try to go at a much faster pace, but not a sprint. To be honest, I wasn’t able to keep that pace up for the full .19 miles and would have to slow back down in order to maintain the run.

As for results on this one day try, I got my fastest time to date, actually blew away my prior fastest time by 2:02! This Saturday I am going to be out of town again, but my goal is to try the treadmill for the first time, curious to see how that goes.

For the future, I think I am going to use the RunDouble 5k improver.

Goal Achievement:

• Increase my pace
      o Beat my fastest by 2:02! We will see how this goes in the future, but I am really encouraged by this jump in time.

NO WAY!!
    Dark horse. that's amazing!

Flippin' heck! that's seriously impressive.
  • cnadiger
    cnadiger Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Great job! You are doing so well. I had to drop back to Week 3 Day 3 on Friday (I had reached Week 4 day 1 previously). I was sick for a week and didn't go to the gym. I had hoped I could pick right back up on Week 4, but it wasn't to be.

But it's o.k. I've decided even if it takes me 6 months, I'm going to get through it!

Good on you for keeping up with it AND improving your time while you are at it! Your progress is inspiring. :)

^^^ This is me. I've been doing each week twice because I'm worried about injuring my joints and had just gotten to W4D1 and had a 1 1/2 week setback. I'm going back to W3D1 for the third time, but who cares--I'm still going to finish no matter what.

I find this thread so inspirational. It makes me want to get out and run even when I'm feeling de-energized. Thanks for starting it and all your updates! You're doing amazing :D
  • wulfax
    Options
    cnadiger wrote: »
    Great job! You are doing so well. I had to drop back to Week 3 Day 3 on Friday (I had reached Week 4 day 1 previously). I was sick for a week and didn't go to the gym. I had hoped I could pick right back up on Week 4, but it wasn't to be.

But it's o.k. I've decided even if it takes me 6 months, I'm going to get through it!

Good on you for keeping up with it AND improving your time while you are at it! Your progress is inspiring. :)

^^^ This is me. I've been doing each week twice because I'm worried about injuring my joints and had just gotten to W4D1 and had a 1 1/2 week setback. I'm going back to W3D1 for the third time, but who cares--I'm still going to finish no matter what.

I find this thread so inspirational. It makes me want to get out and run even when I'm feeling de-energized. Thanks for starting it and all your updates! You're doing amazing :D

Always listen to your body, if you don't you will hurt yourself and not be able to exercise for days, weeks, or even months.

Oh, and for an update, I weighed in this morning and I now weigh 240.5 lbs. I have lost 49.5 lbs. in all and 14.5 in the 9 weeks I have been doing C25k. For the last 9 weeks this is an average of 1.6 lbs a week. This included a 5 day holiday for Thanksgiving so I am satisfied with this loss. :smiley:
  • LazyButHealthy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    And you should be, that's tremendous progress!

I just finished W4D3. Facing in to W5... eek!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Amazing weight loss! As you know, we were on a similar schedule--I ran my 5K on December 30th. Today I ran my longest run ever: 4 miles without walking! Still can't believe that just two months ago, I could barely go for 30 seconds.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    Amazing weight loss! As you know, we were on a similar schedule--I ran my 5K on December 30th. Today I ran my longest run ever: 4 miles without walking! Still can't believe that just two months ago, I could barely go for 30 seconds.

That's incredible. 2 months!?

I'm working towards 5k non-stop on December 30th.
    There's no race on, but just created a route myself and my sister - we're raising money for Childline too. Both excited and scared!

• wulfax
    Options
    I just finished W4D3. Facing in to W5... eek!

Congratulations! Keep up the good work, admire your dedication!
    loratliff wrote: »
    Today I ran my longest run ever: 4 miles without walking! Still can't believe that just two months ago, I could barely go for 30 seconds.

Awesome on the 4 miles! It is a great feeling being able to look at yourself, even a few months ago, and see how far you have come! As I have said before, a lot of this is mental toughness, recognized the difference between pain and injury, and then pushing past the pain and achieving your goal.

Keep it up!
    I'm working towards 5k non-stop on December 30th.
    There's no race on, but just created a route myself and my sister - we're raising money for Childline too. Both excited and scared!

Good job on getting your family involved. I have found it is easier having someone to talk to about your goals and hopefully having them encourage you and cheer you along every step.