Need a good hard slap in the face? Find out where you are on the global fat scale.

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    PaperSt wrote: »
    PaperSt wrote: »
    Very interesting. After finding my current result, I plugged in my weight goal. At my goal, I would be comparable to someone from Cambodia... Hmmm...
    Hmmm... that may not be the best weight? What BMI would that be?

I was wondering the same. I'm not there yet, so I guess we'll see as we go. BMI would be 21 at my goal weight.
    oh! 21 is probably fine. It sounded lower when you said Cambodia. Cambodia is at 21% now? Wow.

I'm at about 21.5 5'6" 132-135 (usually).
    I know! When I was a kid, they told us we should eat our lunches because the kids in Cambodia were starving and we had to go door-to-door to collect money for the Cambodian kids. (It was interesting to learn, as a kid, that people were much more willing to buy a magazine than they were to give 1/10th of it to starving kids. Not sure if that's the lesson they were going for, but that's what I learned.)

When I hear "Cambodia", I unconsciously think, "Starving children."

Problem with the charitable collections IMO is they usually ask for recurring donations and then compare it to your morning coffee, etc. Well anything becomes a ton of money if you multiply it by a high enough number. Usually I prefer just a one time donation. For example I'm a sucker for those Wikipedia calls for donation or when there's a text # to send a donation following a disaster

• kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ...it told me I'm most like someone from Ethiopia.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    LOL and this is why BMI is a garbage stat, I went and plugged in my information and it gave me a BMI of 55 which is "obese"….there is no way I am obese at 180 pounds and 14 to 15% body fat…even though I am bulking right now….The problem with BMI is that it does not account for muscle mass….

By your information (180 pounds, 55 BMI) you are four feet tall, so BMI is probably not a good indicator for you.

I put in 5 feet 10 inches into the calculator...

I think you did this wrong.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    LOL and this is why BMI is a garbage stat, I went and plugged in my information and it gave me a BMI of 55 which is "obese"….there is no way I am obese at 180 pounds and 14 to 15% body fat…even though I am bulking right now….The problem with BMI is that it does not account for muscle mass….

By your information (180 pounds, 55 BMI) you are four feet tall, so BMI is probably not a good indicator for you.

I put in 5 feet 10 inches into the calculator...

I think you did this wrong.

I got sick of this exchange so I put in the numbers myself:

5'10" is 1.778m
    180 lbs is 81.646 kg
    Male
    Estimated age: 40

BMI: 26
    Lower than 72% of Males aged 30-44 in the USA
    Higher than 66% males in same age group world wide

BMI is calculated at 57 if I say 180 kg
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Lower than 86% in my country! yeah!
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Im ok with the results, but I still have to keep up the routine. That's the hard part.

You have a lower BMI than 82% of females aged 30-44 in your country Global
    Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 52% of females aged 30-44 in the world

Did you know?
    If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 1,118,241 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Your numbers
    Obesity Index

25bmi
    BMI is an estimate of how "overweight" or "obese" a person is National
    Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 77% of females aged 30-44 in your country Global
    Above average
    You have a higher BMI than 56% of females aged 30-44 in the world
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5 and 144lb.

Obesity Index: 24bmi

I have a higher BMI than 61% of females aged 15-29 in my home country ( Ireland)
    I have a higher than 56% of females aged 15-29 in my current country (Norway)
    I have a higher BMI than 65% of females aged 15-29 in the world.

I am most like someone from Colombia.

My numbers with my starting weight are really shocking though.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I'm most like someone from Tonga. It can only get better. =)
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    5'9" 167 lbs.

You're most like someone from Swaziland
    You have a lower BMI than 83% of males aged 45-59 in your country
    You have a lower BMI than 50% of males aged 45-59 in the world

That's a nice morale builder to start the day with. Too bad I look like crap (out of shape).
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    well according to that im fatter than 100% of the women in the world, pile of horse poop

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

unless your a hobbit i would be wondering how at 180lb they are saying you have a bmi of 55

i weigh more than you and at 5ft 2 my bmi is alot less

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It was a pretty interesting read and neat to see on the graph. I don't 100% agree with the idea of BMI though.
  • mamagirl49
    mamagirl49 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm most like Samoan and headed for Djiboutian. Thanks for this!
  • spulia1
    spulia1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yikes. Wish I saw this before eating 3 slices of pizza for lunch....
    Higher than 95% of my age range in the US, and higher than 100% of my age range worldwide. I HAVE THE HIGHEST BMI IN THE WORLD??? I mean I know that isn't what that number means, but to be in that percentile is pretty scary.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Bonus of this tool… you get to see your progress. :smiley:

Dropped from Slovenia to Croatia. Yay!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Your numbers
    Obesity Index
    21bmi
    National: Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 83% of females aged 30-44 in your country
    Global: Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 69% of females aged 30-44 in the world

I've now dropped from Armenia all the way to India, wow!! <3
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm below average in everything. Supposedly, if everyone in the world was the same as me, it would remove over 31 million tons. :o

Aaaand I'm most like someone from Rwanda.

I'm built like a runner.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I really don't need any "big hard slap in the face" to know I'm too fat.

Where I compare with the rest of the world, or the rest of the U.S. has nothing to do with it.

The rest of the world and the rest of the U.S. for that matter is/are not necessarily shining examples of health themselves. Some of the world is grossly underweight due to malnutrition. Some of the world (and a lot of the U.S...and other nations) is grossly overweight.

If I'm "thinner" than, say, 50% of the U.S., how awesome does that make me? 67% of the adult population is overweight. I'm less overweight than some overweight people?

What matters is whether I am healthy...not how I "compare" to anyone else. I'm much fatter than a bunch of people. That, I get. I don't need a chart to tell me. ;)
  • bean_jean
    bean_jean Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's a reminder of how privileged we are to be fat!