Married to a junk food junkie

Options
1235»

Replies

• DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Chunt - I'm married to a junk food junkie as well. Despite years of trying to get her to be my accountability partner, I had to go my own way. But, we make it work. We will typically make meals that have a lean meat (chicken, beef or pork -she does not like fish so, I get it when I eat out or when she travels). Then, we will have fresh vegetables and she may want some au-gratin potatoes or a pasta/rice side (I skip those). If we eat baked potatoes, she uses butter and cheese - I use bbq sauce or salsa. And, if I have to prepare more veggies or healthy meat options, I use them in my lunch daily. And, then once a week, I "cheat". I try to stay below my maintenance calorie level but I'll eat pizza or something more decadent that we can enjoy together. Good Luck!! (ignore the haters).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    chunt87 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that this thread on the forums is just gonna keep going downhill because some people (men) must be bitter af.

Ladies thank you for the constructive answers and ideas. And some healthy venting. The healthy sirracha meatloaf was a hit that I got the idea from the turkey one posted on here was a great success and I will try some of the others too.

Misandry at its finest. Strange, since your original post paints you as the woman with the useless husband, home all day, doing nothing...or, maybe not strange at all.

lol, +2 on the misandry.

She's not very complimentary to the person she chose to hook her wagon up to.
  • ralph124c41
    ralph124c41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it helps to just go with the flow. All the years Otter cooked all the dinners (I used to be a workaholic) she had a rule of 3. If there weren't 3 people that liked the dish, the recipe got tossed. That way no one person had a veto, but the recipe file got filled with good stuff.
    Now, with a smaller family, that doesn't work, so we adjusted to 1/2 votes. A like is 2 votes and a "not so bad" is one.

Another technique is to not hot things up too much for the timid. There are other flavors beside pepper, and pepper can always be added at the table. Sriracha (make sure you buy the bottle with the rooster on it), Cholula, even Frank's can have a place on the table.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Otter?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Otter?

I too am intrigued by the cooking Otter.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Everyone should take a healthy meal everyday, this is the only thing which leads to get good health. Junk foods are OK to save time or for taste but its not good for health if eaten all time again and again.
  • KimofTas
    KimofTas Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, you can only control what you do. You can't control anything anyone else does. So do what you do that is good for yourself, cook one meal only (as suggested above) and if he doesn't like it, well, that's just too bad.

Make good choices for your own mental and physical health. His issues are his if he doesn't like what you've prepared out of love for him to eat.
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    As said previously its not worth you worrying over, if he likes sandwiches have bread. Im a vegetarian and have been for all 34 years of my marriage at first due to lack of time, energy, motivation, I let my diet slide and just ate the carbs and veggies of whatever I cooked for him without the meat and within a few years went up from 148lbs to 220lbs. I now only cook healthy stuff for me, if he doesn't come grocery shopping no junk gets bought, so I now have a weekly shopping buddy! Like yours he lives on junk food, covers everything with salt or sauces, but if he ever dared criticize he would be cooking his own dinner. Another option since he doesn't work take turns, you cook one day him the next, maybe when he realizes how much work it is, he wont be so picky? Good luck and really its not worth worrying over!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    That is what I was thinking, too. My husband needs more calories than I do and he gets them both through extra servings of what I make and several bowls of cereal at night. Turning what you make into a sandwich sounds like a great option.

^This...
    OP, you are overweight and want/need to make a change. Your husband is thin and does not feel the want/need to change anything. Would it be better if he was more supportive? Yes... that said, he is not. If he wants a sandwich, let him have a sandwich. You are his wife, not his mother...
    I have a feeling that this thread on the forums is just gonna keep going downhill because some people (men) must be bitter af.

Ladies thank you for the constructive answers and ideas. And some healthy venting. The healthy sirracha meatloaf was a hit that I got the idea from the turkey one posted on here was a great success and I will try some of the others too.

And you're not bitter all right...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep here too, mine can eat a bag of chips, chocolate and jubes in bed,,, but he is fat and knows it.I prefere to be a hottie and let him be fat... you have to WANT to lose it,,,, it will happen one day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everyone should take a healthy meal everyday, this is the only thing which leads to get good health. Junk foods are OK to save time or for taste but its not good for health if eaten all time again and again.

say wut?
  • dbmata
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

say wut?

I think that was a stroke.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Make stuff he likes and you eat a smaller portion to make it healthy/less caloric. If you want to eat the same things, someone has got to budge - is he on a diet? If not, then you should budge, imo, or just eat different things at dinner time.

why should she be the one to budge? that sounds ridiculous. she is the one putting the effort in to make the meals. it doesnt sound like hes giving her any input to help her make something he would enjoy when she asks. if he doesn't like the food, he can make his own.

It sounds ridiculous because you ignored a major premise:

Desires husband to like what she makes for dinner. (i.e. not doctor her cooked meal with salt, turn it into a sandwich, etc.)

Presumably she doesn't want to prepare 2 meals. She wants her husband to like what she cooks.

She didn't ask for marital advice or for anyone's opinions on her husband and her marital roles.

Pot..meet kettle?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    KnM0107 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    That is what I was thinking, too. My husband needs more calories than I do and he gets them both through extra servings of what I make and several bowls of cereal at night. Turning what you make into a sandwich sounds like a great option.

^This...
    OP, you are overweight and want/need to make a change. Your husband is thin and does not feel the want/need to change anything. Would it be better if he was more supportive? Yes... that said, he is not. If he wants a sandwich, let him have a sandwich. You are his wife, not his mother...

And you're not bitter all right...

and I got flagged for that...