question about cheat meals

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    the problem is there's too much noise

I only became successful once I got rid of all the noise and went back to the very basics

calories in < calories out = lose weight

• animall
    animall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I only became successful once I got rid of all the noise and went back to the very basics

I'm quite a slow learner so i just want to clear this up -- as long as i hit the calories goal, what i eat won't matter AT ALL? If it won't affect my weight, will it affect my body shape? Of course, i know that i have to eat healthy food to get the nutrition. But what if i eat a lot of high carbs food (under calories goal), surely i will accumulate some fats right? sorry i'm just confused by what i was raised to believe.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    animall wrote: »

I'm quite a slow learner so i just want to clear this up -- as long as i hit the calories goal, what i eat won't matter AT ALL? If it won't affect my weight, will it affect my body shape? Of course, i know that i have to eat healthy food to get the nutrition. But what if i eat a lot of high carbs food (under calories goal), surely i will accumulate some fats right? sorry i'm just confused by what i was raised to believe.

here are the basics..

calorie deficit = weight loss < so yes, you can eat whatever you want, be in a deficit, and lose weight. Just google the twinkie diet.

macro and micro adherence for body composition and overall health and fitness < as you lose more weight and body fat and think that you want to get to lower body fat, or recomp your body then you are going to have to more strictly follow what you eat, i.e macro and micro breakdown...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Making a meal of cake isn't the healthiest thing to do, but for weight loss, there's no reason why you can't do that. (I've done it more than once.) Whether or not you call it a cheat meal, that is up to you. But if I were allowing myself a cheat meal every week, I wouldn't call this one a cheat meal because I could still have my cheat meal and meet my calorie goal for the week.
    If you are under your calorie allotment, it's not a cheat.

On a side note, calling meals "cheat meals" is dumb IMO, if you go over your goal, just make up for it the next day or days if it can't be made up in a single day.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cheat meal implies that you did something wrong, and there is never anything wrong with eating cake, especially if you stayed within your calorie goal..

there is nothing bad/cheating/whatever about eating cake, ice cream, cookies, pizza, etc…they are all just food that your body uses for energy. Stay within your calorie and macro targets and you will be fine…

why shouldn't you eat two slices of "the cake"?

Guess i shouldn't call it a cheat meal then. But i can't help myself but feel bad because of the fat content of the food. But i understand that i have to move on and eat ''cleaner'' tomorrow. Thanks.

fat is not "bad"...

and eating clean has nothing to do with anything..

my two cents - eat the cake, enjoy it, and don't worry about if it is clean or not, or having to "make up for it"....This kind of thought process leads to restriction which tends to lead to binging, in my opinion.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Its not quite that black and white...

From a weight loss standpoint, yes, all you need to worry about is creating a caloric deficit.

Me personally, I'm not concerned with weight loss - I want FAT loss. I don't want my muscle to go away, so I create a caloric deficit AND a minimum protein requirement to fuel/build/maintain my muscle mass.

I also want to be healthy so I throw in a few healthy fats.

If I have calories left over, then I eat plenty of carbs and unhealthy fats because I also want to be happy and sane.

As a summary, here is what I care about prioritized from highest to lowest:

1) Net calories
    2) Protein intake
    3) fat intake

So, eating cake to get to your calorie goal - thats fine for that day. If you do it every day, you'll end up losing a lot of muscle mass along with your fat. The effect will be a "skinny fat" look and a slower metabolism in the long run. However, doing this on occasion is totally fine as long as your nutrition is OK the majority of the time.

• audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with allowing yourself a "cheat" meal or "refeed" meal. Going cold turkey on a new nutrition program is hard for some people to do. The cheat meal helps one to make the transition to healthier eating while gradually weaning them off of less healthy favorite foods. It can help you learn that those unhealthy foods can be an occasional indulgence rather than part of an everyday diet. That's where the cheat meal can work for eating habits!

Cheat meals, cheat days or "refeeds" can also help with fat loss in a program of healthy eating coupled with exercise. A rigorous routine including healthy eating and exercise can make some people go through a weight-loss plateau. The body tries to halt the weight loss process by slowing the metabolism and increasing its effectiveness at fat uptake. A refeed helps to trick your body into thinking that the lean diet is over so hormone levels normalize which, in turn, breaks you out of the fat loss plateau. Refeeds are not, however, an "eat-whatever-you-want" extravaganza. There are guidelines to making the refeed an effective diversion for the body so fat loss can continue.
  • animall
    Options
    Making a meal of cake isn't the healthiest thing to do, but for weight loss, there's no reason why you can't do that. (I've done it more than once.) Whether or not you call it a cheat meal, that is up to you. But if I were allowing myself a cheat meal every week, I wouldn't call this one a cheat meal because I could still have my cheat meal and meet my calorie goal for the week.

On a side note, calling meals "cheat meals" is dumb IMO, if you go over your goal, just make up for it the next day or days if it can't be made up in a single day.
    cheat meal implies that you did something wrong, and there is never anything wrong with eating cake, especially if you stayed within your calorie goal..

there is nothing bad/cheating/whatever about eating cake, ice cream, cookies, pizza, etc…they are all just food that your body uses for energy. Stay within your calorie and macro targets and you will be fine…

Guess i shouldn't call it a cheat meal then. But i can't help myself but feel bad because of the fat content of the food. But i understand that i have to move on and eat ''cleaner'' tomorrow. Thanks.

fat is not "bad"...

my two cents - eat the cake, enjoy it, and don't worry about if it is clean or not, or having to "make up for it"....This kind of thought process leads to restriction which tends to lead to binging, in my opinion.
    GauchoMark wrote: »

From a weight loss standpoint, yes, all you need to worry about is creating a caloric deficit.

Me personally, I'm not concerned with weight loss - I want FAT loss. I don't want my muscle to go away, so I create a caloric deficit AND a minimum protein requirement to fuel/build/maintain my muscle mass.

If I have calories left over, then I eat plenty of carbs and unhealthy fats because I also want to be happy and sane.

1) Net calories
    2) Protein intake
    3) fat intake

So, eating cake to get to your calorie goal - thats fine for that day. If you do it every day, you'll end up losing a lot of muscle mass along with your fat. The effect will be a "skinny fat" look and a slower metabolism in the long run. However, doing this on occasion is totally fine as long as your nutrition is OK the majority of the time.

Ohhh noo. Then i think i got all this wrong from the start. I'm actually quite comfortable with my weight (hell my BMI is close to underweight) but i have those stubborn fats all over my body (stomach, thigh). I thought if i lose some weight it will go away so i started counting my calorie, but today i lost 4 kg my waistline didn't reduce AT ALL. However, overall i do look better and that day I managed to fit into pants that was too small for me. Now my main problem is my stupid belly fat. What should i do. Should i still continue the calorie deficit thing or just do the protein/fat intake?

• ndj1979
    Options

fat is not "bad"...

1) Net calories
    2) Protein intake
    3) fat intake

Ohhh noo. Then i think i got all this wrong from the start. I'm actually quite comfortable with my weight (hell my BMI is close to underweight) but i have those stubborn fats all over my body (stomach, thigh). I thought if i lose some weight it will go away so i started counting my calorie, but today i lost 4 kg my waistline didn't reduce AT ALL. However, overall i do look better and that day I managed to fit into pants that was too small for me. Now my main problem is my stupid belly fat. What should i do. Should i still continue the calorie deficit thing or just do the protein/fat intake?

do you work out/strength train/etc? If yes, what is your routine?
  • animall
    Options

fat is not "bad"...

1) Net calories
    2) Protein intake
    3) fat intake

do you work out/strength train/etc? If yes, what is your routine?

I am currently trying to do cardio once every 2 days. But I'm a beginner and get tired REALLY fast and tend to give up. :( However i can feel myself improving. So i would say for now its total 1 hour of cardio (both low and high intensity) in a week. I know how little it is but I'm still improving. Why do you ask?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think it depends on your definition of "cheat" and since it's your diet, you get to pick whatever definition you want.

I'd say that on Lemon Cake Day, you cheated your nutrition. You had cake for dinner instead of something healthier. But you continued with weight loss.

If you have your cheat meal, you'll be cheating on your diet. You're overeating and giving your body more calories than it needs, so hindering weight loss.

Only you can decide where this all fits into "cheating" and "not cheating." They're your rules and you get to pick.

Fiber One lemon bars are so full of lemony goodness that they might be a good substitute for the cake next time Lemon Cake Day rolls around. They aren't quite the delight lemon cake and lemon frosting are, but they're pretty damn good! :)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

fat is not "bad"...

1) Net calories
    2) Protein intake
    3) fat intake

So what are you trying to accomplish?

Here is what I gather - you have a low BMI but you want to lose fat around your stomach and thighs.

What this is telling me is that you are already probably in that "skinny fat" category. In other words, you are not "overweight" according to the weight charts, but have fat to lose, meaning you are probably small framed and probably do not have that much muscle mass.

Just to clear it up - you can't just lose fat in an area. You lose fat in general and it will come off those areas eventually. So, although you may be fine in the BMI chart range, you might have a higher body fat percentage than most people. What you probably need to look into is body recomposition - gain some muscle, lose some fat.
    What should i do. Should i still continue the calorie deficit thing or just do the protein/fat intake?
    If you want to lose fat you need a calorie deficit. If you want to retain muscle, you need protein and weight lifting. So, do both.

As far as losing 4kg for a day - it is called water retention.
  • animall
    Options

fat is not "bad"...

1) Net calories
    2) Protein intake
    3) fat intake

So what are you trying to accomplish?

Here is what I gather - you have a low BMI but you want to lose fat around your stomach and thighs.

What this is telling me is that you are already probably in that "skinny fat" category. In other words, you are not "overweight" according to the weight charts, but have fat to lose, meaning you are probably small framed and probably do not have that much muscle mass.

Just to clear it up - you can't just lose fat in an area. You lose fat in general and it will come off those areas eventually. So, although you may be fine in the BMI chart range, you might have a higher body fat percentage than most people. What you probably need to look into is body recomposition - gain some muscle, lose some fat.
    What should i do. Should i still continue the calorie deficit thing or just do the protein/fat intake?
    If you want to lose fat you need a calorie deficit. If you want to retain muscle, you need protein and weight lifting. So, do both.

As far as losing 4kg for a day - it is called water retention.

This is exactly the answer i was looking for. Thank you very much! as for the 4kg thing, what i was trying to say was that i lost 4kg in a month or so. Sorry, like i mentioned earlier, english is not my native language. i hope you understand what i mean.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you should look in to building muscle mass rather than focusing on reducing fat alone. I spent almost my whole life just like that -- "skinny fat" Even pregnant, my BMI didn't leave the underweight or healthy zone, but I had lumpy jiggly bits all over.

I arrived at 40 and weaned my youngest child at about the same age and my underweight days were soon behind me, LOL. I didn't know my condition for what it was until I started trying to lose those extra pounds. Now I'm working on losing extra fat, yes, but building muscle mass is more important.

And, I'll also note, small framed "skinny fat" women are at extremely high risk for future bone density loss. Muscle building weight-bearing exercise is one of the best ways to help fight that!
  • animall
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you should look in to building muscle mass rather than focusing on reducing fat alone. I spent almost my whole life just like that -- "skinny fat" Even pregnant, my BMI didn't leave the underweight or healthy zone, but I had lumpy jiggly bits all over.

I arrived at 40 and weaned my youngest child at about the same age and my underweight days were soon behind me, LOL. I didn't know my condition for what it was until I started trying to lose those extra pounds. Now I'm working on losing extra fat, yes, but building muscle mass is more important.

And, I'll also note, small framed "skinny fat" women are at extremely high risk for future bone density loss. Muscle building weight-bearing exercise is one of the best ways to help fight that!

Thank you, those are great advices. However I do have a question. Do I have to buy the equipments or go to a gym for the full effects? Because it will be costly to do so. :confused:
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Start doing bodyweight exercises like pushups/situps/planks and pick up some hand weights. As for the cardio, if you don't like what you're doing, change it. Go on youtube and look for different videos or walk or dance.