Picky Eaters?

Options
Just out of curiosity, is picky eating a deal-breaker for you in terms of an SO? I'm very picky in terms of what I eat. We had a Christmas dinner at my university (some sort of beef roast, steamed vegetables, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc). I ended up eating some Caesar salad, everything else was food I didn't like. It annoys BF to no end, especially because he's learned to like Indian food (my native cuisine). He insists I 'try' the food, but it's not at all appetizing to me. Am I in the wrong here, or is this a common quirk that he needs to get over?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    He will eventually get used to your ways and you can find places to compromise where the both of you have some common ground. :)
    My hubby is a very picky eater and generally dislikes America food. So he does most of the cooking in our house. Often it is based on cooking techniques from his native country.

I am fine with not cooking. (I buy the groceries/ingredients and let him know when I prefer that he make certain adjustments. )
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    He will eventually get used to your ways and you can find places to compromise where the both of you have some common ground. :)
    My hubby is a very picky eater and generally dislikes America food. So he does most of the cooking in our house. Often it is based on cooking techniques from his native country.

I am fine with not cooking. (I buy the groceries/ingredients and let him know when I prefer that he make certain adjustments. )

That makes sense. I wish he could see it that way--but unfortunately he views me rejecting the cafeteria's American cuisine as rejecting his culture. I mean, if he or his family was to cook something, I'd at least choke down a bite, but come on.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I honestly agree with your boyfriend. I used to not bother trying ANYTHING because liek you I just thought "this doesn't look appetizing." I've since tried a buttload of things, even things that I thought would be gross, and I now enjoy them. Like peanut butter, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, trout, onions....

That being said, there really isn't much use in someone getting angry when you don't bother to try something. But you'll probably enjoy dieting (or maintaining, or gaining) if you give yourself a lot of food choices.

But how can you not like vegetables? Or beef? or potatoes? For you to assume that you hate 99% of what is being served to me seems like it's more of an "I haven't tried this but it looks gross so I'm not going to eat it." That's why I used to be a picky eater. The only reason I'll reject most of what's available at an event like this is because I eat gluten-free for digestive purposes, and in most cases I cannot guarantee that osmething is okay to eat so I have to choose obvious okay choices.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I happen to be really fond of food and I bond with others over food which is why I would like my SO to at least understand this and at least try the food once. If it's important to your man, then why not just compromise with him and eat something once and if you don't like it, you don't have to ever eat it again and he won't ever badger you over it as well. And firmly tell him this too. That way, he can more appreciate the fact that you took his concerns into consideration but at the same time, you're not willing to bend over backwards eating more of something you don't like. Just my opinion though; life is about communication and understanding! :#
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My kid has sensory processing disorder, and one of the ways it manifests is by extreme picky eating. We all still eat together for all meals, but often he eats his own seperate thing. Its no big deal.
  • malavika413
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I honestly agree with your boyfriend. I used to not bother trying ANYTHING because liek you I just thought "this doesn't look appetizing." I've since tried a buttload of things, even things that I thought would be gross, and I now enjoy them. Like peanut butter, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, trout, onions....

That being said, there really isn't much use in someone getting angry when you don't bother to try something. But you'll probably enjoy dieting (or maintaining, or gaining) if you give yourself a lot of food choices.

But how can you not like vegetables? Or beef? or potatoes? For you to assume that you hate 99% of what is being served to me seems like it's more of an "I haven't tried this but it looks gross so I'm not going to eat it." That's why I used to be a picky eater. The only reason I'll reject most of what's available at an event like this is because I eat gluten-free for digestive purposes, and in most cases I cannot guarantee that osmething is okay to eat so I have to choose obvious okay choices.

Beef has always revolted me, it's just something about the slippery appearance and odd color. And I eat vegetables and potatoes, just not the typical way Americans prepare them--just plain salt and no other seasoning. The Christmas dinner was very traditional, as was the thanksgiving dinner.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    he can either accept you or he doesnt. right now he is not accepting you. have that discussion. if he can't "handle" your food choices well then its your turn to accept him that he will consistently create a problem around food or move on yourself =)
    so up to you if its a deal breaker or not.

something like this must trigger "something" in him about you it can't really be about the food. something to think about.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you don't try it you'll never know if you like it or not. I once dated a picky eater. It didn't work out (not for that reason, it was because... well, he wasn't straight!) and it was incredibly annoying and I personally thought it was childish and rude - particularly because he wouldn't even try the food. That being said, this person wouldn't eat beef, soup, vegetables, condiments, the list goes on and on and crossed off pretty much everything. You're probably not that bad. And I see above you mention it was cafeteria food. No one "likes" cafeteria food hahaha.
  • malavika413
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »
    he can either accept you or he doesnt. right now he is not accepting you. have that discussion. if he can't "handle" your food choices well then its your turn to accept him that he will consistently create a problem around food or move on yourself =)
    so up to you if its a deal breaker or not.

something like this must trigger "something" in him about you it can't really be about the food. something to think about.

He tells me it's not about the food itself, it's the fact that I reject things without trying them whereas he tries everything once. I HAVE tried plain steamed vegetables before, and gluey potatoes. No thank you. Beef I will not touch. He sees it as me rejecting his culture and the food he grew up eating outright.
  • beamer0821
    Options
    but thats about him, he's projecting his stuff and insecurities about rejection onto you.
    you can't carry that, he's trying to make you carry it. but you can't.
    its none of his business what you want to try, sounds like he's trying to control something he cannot.
  • malavika413
    Options
    I guess I should have predicted this sort of thing dating an American man. I just hope his family never invites me home, I'd feel horrible just pushing food around on my plate.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have similar taste in food, but we're both picky. I can see how picky eating would annoy someone, though. It's like going out to a restaurant and someone in the group orders a tiny salad and doesn't even partake in appetizers or dessert. Party pooper. But it's none of my business what people eat, so more food for me!
  • beamer0821
    Options
    has nothing to do with culture. has to do with the man. =)
    i was a picky eater when i met DH. and his mother was a horrible cook (even he admitted to). i would politely put a few things on my plate. force a couple of bites and help his mother in the kitchen cleaning up.
    i didnt feel bad, and if she felt offended thats about her too =) not about you.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why people care so much what other people do or do not eat. I am a picky eater. There are many things I really hate because of the texture and/or taste. Why is it anyone else's business? If you aren't cooking for me, it's not your concern.

I think your BF's view is fairly common, but I find it to be really controlling and intrusive when people give me a hard time for not eating what they like to eat. Seriously, worry about your own plate, I'll take care of mine. Food is just food; it's not culture, it's not relationships, it's not a value system. It is nourishment, nothing more.
  • beamer0821
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why people care so much what other people do or do not eat. I am a picky eater. There are many things I really hate because of the texture and/or taste. Why is it anyone else's business? If you aren't cooking for me, it's not your concern.

I think your BF's view is fairly common, but I find it to be really controlling and intrusive when people give me a hard time for not eating what they like to eat. Seriously, worry about your own plate, I'll take care of mine. Food is just food; it's not culture, it's not relationships, it's not a value system. It is nourishment, nothing more.

PREACH! lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Get over yourself.
    try the food.

if you hate it move on.

But you should at least try it- even if it looks awful. I've forced THAT issue with my BF- he's a grown man- he doesn't have to eat anything he doesn't like- but I insist that he at least TRY it ... we've progressed on even- gasp- Indian food.

as long as you aren't vastly inconveniencing someone and making it all about YOU- I don't care how picky someone is. The more picky you are- the more incumbent is upon you to work it out- not the party you are hanging out with.

I don't really care for italian food- it's over priced pasta- seriously- not.worth.it. Esp as a low carber. I'm never satisfied and I feel like I spent a lot of money on food I just feel meh about.
    So I tend to not like going to such places- but I will- and I work it out. There is ALWAYS something to be ordered on a menu.
    I guess I should have predicted this sort of thing dating an American man. I just hope his family never invites me home, I'd feel horrible just pushing food around on my plate.
    that's horribly offensive- honestly and has NOTHING to do with him being American. Seriously.

I date a Syrian guy- and - see above- picky as hell. As a professional belly dancer- I eat at a LOT of Lebanese/Turkish/Moroccan restaurants- you know what he orders? chicken fingers- and fries.

It has nothing to do with him being American- some people are just godawfulannoyingly picky.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm super picky, but I'll try anything at least once. It doesn't bother my husband at all, especially since I do 95% of the cooking around here. Plus I was a food NIGHTMARE when I was pregnant, so I think he's just thankful that we're done having kids.

Most of my dislikes are texture related though, so no matter how much I force myself, that's not going to change. I can't just stop gagging :)

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Your boyfriend's issues have nothing to do with him being an American, and everything to do with him being him. And from other posts you've made, you seem to spend a lot of time trying to be who he wants you to be, and not being yourself.

Re-read what you wrote. You're worried about him breaking up with you because you aren't doing something you don't like and do not want to do. Think about that for awhile.
  • malavika413
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Get over yourself.
    try the food.

if you hate it move on.

But you should at least try it- even if it looks awful. I've forced THAT issue with my BF- he's a grown man- he doesn't have to eat anything he doesn't like- but I insist that he at least TRY it ... we've progressed on even- gasp- Indian food.

as long as you aren't vastly inconveniencing someone and making it all about YOU- I don't care how picky someone is. The more picky you are- the more incumbent is upon you to work it out- not the party you are hanging out with.

I don't really care for italian food- it's over priced pasta- seriously- not.worth.it. Esp as a low carber. I'm never satisfied and I feel like I spent a lot of money on food I just feel meh about.
    So I tend to not like going to such places- but I will- and I work it out. There is ALWAYS something to be ordered on a menu.
    that's horribly offensive- honestly and has NOTHING to do with him being American. Seriously.

I date a Syrian guy- and - see above- picky as hell. As a professional belly dancer- I eat at a LOT of Lebanese/Turkish/Moroccan restaurants- you know what he orders? chicken fingers- and fries.

It has nothing to do with him being American- some people are just godawfulannoyingly picky.

I mentioned the part about him being American due to the cuisines offered at the dining hall. For him, that's home cooking. For me, it's prison food. I'm not saying all American food is bad, but there are very few foods that he loves and that I can tolerate. Granted, being picky at college is cumbersome, my diet is rather limited as a result and whenever I can I take a bus home, but still.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you expect him to try your food.

You should try his.

and no- dining hall food is never that great- but it's food. It gets the job done.