Do you ever lie about your weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My best friend *loves* to tell strangers how I've lost "a ton" of weight. It's so embarrassing.

I have this friend too, I know she's super proud of me but I feel so embarrassed every time.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Its hard because everyone thinks they know whats best and are professionals NOT As I lost way to much got all kinds of comments and piety looks and as I gained back to healthy it wasn;t any different. Some just don't like change maybe or are insecure about themselves I found I just change subject
  • ljs385
    ljs385 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel rather embarrassed when ppl at work comment on my weight loss. Especially if I've not seen them for a while and their surprised. All I think in my head is "how flippin fat was I?" I'm a glass half empty kinda girl anyway so that may explain that

(Conversely however, the BF family have said nothing which ticks me off..... I'm never happy it seems! :p )
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Oh god no, I'm extremely proud of losing almost 100 pounds. It's a major accomplishment that most people can't claim. Yeah, I'm embarrassed and ashamed that I was almost 300 pounds once upon a time. BUT I'm not anymore, and will never be again if I have anything to do with it. I'll talk about my weight loss to anyone who will listen. I've had a bunch of people tell me how much I inspire them and how happy they are for me. If I can inspire just *one* person to adopt a healthier lifestyle, then that makes this crap all the more worth it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Not really, no. But most people won't comment or ask about it unless I bring it up first, as it's considered rude. And I never bring it up first.

I only discuss weight loss with my doctor, a couple of close friends, and people here on MFP. I really don't see the point in going around talking about it all the time.

I don't lie about my weight when asked either. But I'm never asked, unless it's for something that would be dangerous to lie about (e.g. setting the bindings on my skis).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The only thing I may be fudging a little is my starting weight. There was a 12 lb. difference between the Dr.'s office one day and the hospital the following day. I didn't have a functioning scale at home at the time so I picked a number in between (leaning a little towards the higher number) and that is my "official" starting weight.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kiniece wrote: »
    rounding up a tad bit never hurt nobody ;)

I do this although I tend to use words like "just under" or "close to".

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I say 80 because saying that I lost 81 seems obsessive, lol.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yeah. off of the internet, there's no way in frozen hell I would tell anyone I lost 100 pounds. They would look at me like - wtf let you in here? go back to Notre Dame, Quasimodo.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'll round a bit. So instead of saying I've lost 33 pounds, I'll say 30 because I like my even numbers
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ..... (double post)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No, not sure why I would lie about it.

My difficulty now though is explaining to people that I lost a gross 40 Lbs but 33 Lbs net as I am now about 7ish Lbs heavier than when I hit my goal weight. But I'm also 15% BF @ 187 Lbs vs 19% BF @ my original 180 Lb goal weight.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    *grin* If you're feeling sadistic and are a good actor, if someone asks how much weight you've lost, let your lower lip tremble a bit, lower your eyes, gasp a little and whisper, "I try not to think about it."

lol
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No, not sure why I would lie about it.

My difficulty now though is explaining to people that I lost a gross 40 Lbs but 33 Lbs net as I am now about 7ish Lbs heavier than when I hit my goal weight. But I'm also 15% BF @ 187 Lbs vs 19% BF @ my original 180 Lb goal weight.

maybe it's a girl thing? girls in general (there are exceptions) are massively judgmental and competitive with each other.

admitting you used to be twice your size means you are damaged goods and would probably end up back in the same place.

at least, chicks where I live say this.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I say the exact pounds. I look at it this way, I was quite overweight, it wasn't secret, people could see how big I was. I've worked hard to lose the weight I have. If people want to know how much I've lost, I tell them. I still have a ways to go, and use the interest in my journey as motivation to continue trying.