My arms are skinny--increase volume?

Okay, I cannot believe that I am even posting this question, but here goes anyway.

I have skinny arms and would love to make them bigger. I'd love to add more volume, but I'm completely squeezed for time (I have exactly 35 minutes to go to the gym each day, which is just enough time to get the big muscle groups each time). I've been lifting for a few years and am currently in the middle of my second bulk.

I do Wendler's 5/3/1 for my main lifts and add additional accessories (3x6-12) depending on how much time I have, but I try to hit all of the big muscles twice a week. I know that I'm working the smaller muscles like biceps while I'm doing my upper body, especially pulls, but do you think I would at all benefit from additional arm work? And, if so, when?

Here's an idea of what a typical week looks like.

Monday: 5/3/1 OHP with incline db bench press, seated rows, and underhand close grip lat pulldowns (and curls/triceps extensions if I have time)

Tuesday: 5/3/1 Deadlift with front squats, good mornings, seated calf raises, and Bulgarian split squats

Thursday: 5/3/1 Bench press with db OHP, Pendlay or Yates rows, wide-grip lat pull downs (and curls/triceps extensions again, if I have time)

Friday: 5/3/1 Squat with sumo deadlifts, weighted glute bridges, standing calf raises, and step ups or lunges

TL;DR Would it be overkill to add more arm work?

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    I like rest-pause work because it saves time and allows me to still get work on. Perhaps consider something like that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Sounds more like you just need more time to do the work you have.

I drop all accessory work as well when I'm pressed for time.
    A good one to squeeze in are pull ups- lots of bang for your buck if you do reveres grip (palm in) lots of bicep activation.

Keep lifting.
    Keep eating.

But no- I don't think it's a matter of more work = over kill- what you have is good- you could add one or two lifts here and there- but it seems like you're struggling to get in what you have- so if you can get in what you have while you're bulking you might be better off.

Just re-read- it's kind of a rubbish answer since it's not really helpful.

yes you could.
    But no- I don't think you need it- I think doing the work you have should be okay IF you can get it done.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

yes you could.
    But no- I don't think you need it- I think doing the work you have should be okay IF you can get it done.

Thanks, Jo!

Once in awhile I get a day where I have more time and do a lot more work, but in general, I have to be home by 5:40 am so my husband can leave for work and my stupid gym doesn't open before that. 5 is the earliest around me. I've tried going after work, but 1. the gym is PACKED and it's hard to do pretty much anything and 2. I end up working late a lot and am unable to make it to the gym.

I figure that I don't "need" more work, but damn, when I flex, it's kinda pathetic.
  • PwrLftr82
    I like rest-pause work because it saves time and allows me to still get work on. Perhaps consider something like that.

Thanks, Kyle, I'll look into it.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Eccentrics with simple Dumbbells can easily been done at home while food is cooking or watching TV or on the phone. They pack a punch. I do biceps and triceps this way if I ran out of time at the gym. Just go super slow and you don't need such a huge weight . Rest pause is great too for the same reasons, can be done with what u have at home.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    I don't have a great answer for you. In fact, you all sound 100 times more experienced and well-read on the topic, but I thought I'd throw out an amateur response. I can never, ever believe how "pumped" my guns looks after doing 3 sets of 10 curls at even just moderate weight. I know you don't have extra time, but if you sit at a desk you could even get some smallish dumbbells and do curls. I don't know if the "pump" is temporary, but wifey can always tell when I've done curls and is usually pretty impressed.

I feel the same way as you. I do wide-grip lat pulldowns, row, bench press at varying angles, shoulder press and a few others that hit multiple groups and exercise my arms, but I never seem to see a serious increase in size. Good luck!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    I heard stretching the muscle can help encourage growth.. I have no idea if it's true, and I'm sure you do that already. But... I figured... you could have someone worse than amateur comment for a bump haha.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Okay, I cannot believe that I am even posting this question, but here goes anyway.

I have skinny arms and would love to make them bigger. I'd love to add more volume, but I'm completely squeezed for time (I have exactly 35 minutes to go to the gym each day, which is just enough time to get the big muscle groups each time). I've been lifting for a few years and am currently in the middle of my second bulk.

I do Wendler's 5/3/1 for my main lifts and add additional accessories (3x6-12) depending on how much time I have, but I try to hit all of the big muscles twice a week. I know that I'm working the smaller muscles like biceps while I'm doing my upper body, especially pulls, but do you think I would at all benefit from additional arm work? And, if so, when?

Here's an idea of what a typical week looks like.

Monday: 5/3/1 OHP with incline db bench press, seated rows, and underhand close grip lat pulldowns (and curls/triceps extensions if I have time)

Tuesday: 5/3/1 Deadlift with front squats, good mornings, seated calf raises, and Bulgarian split squats

Thursday: 5/3/1 Bench press with db OHP, Pendlay or Yates rows, wide-grip lat pull downs (and curls/triceps extensions again, if I have time)

Friday: 5/3/1 Squat with sumo deadlifts, weighted glute bridges, standing calf raises, and step ups or lunges

TL;DR Would it be overkill to add more arm work?

In my experience, the exercises that I have put in bold font are inefficient when stressed for time. Compound movements would be more beneficial in place of seated rows and lat pull downs. In my opinion calf raises are a waste of time especially with how much squat/lunge/deadlift work you are doing throughout the week.

Underhand pull-ups are great for your back/lats, biceps, and core when you focus on keeping it tight.

Underhand barbell rows are great in helping with your back/lats and your biceps as well.

If you feel the need to do more bicep work, I would replace your calf raises with seated incline dumbbell curls. Use a lighter weight than you're used when doing standing curls and focus on full range of motion.

I hope this helps! 35 mins is a short amount of time, be as efficient as possible! I wish you the best gains! :smile:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I was also going to suggest some dumbbells for the house. You could just do a few sets of biceps and triceps after you get home from the gym. Maybe the ones with little plates so you can progress.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    a lot of people are suggesting dumbbells - I have those bowflex adjustable dumbbells and I love them, they sit on their stand at the end of the kitchen and I use them while cooking, they don't take much room and can be dialed down for triceps or up for some squats.... It's the same idea for me, a way to squeeze in some extra stuff since in the morning I have limited time and use it to go to the sunroom to lift the heavy stuff. Can't really go out there during the day when kids are up so dumbbells in the kitchen it is.....
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Bands. I think those would have enough resistance to work. You can always double up on them. At least they are cheap and small
  • PwrLftr82
    Good ideas. I have two sets of dumbbells (12# and 20#) and resistance bands and already asked for a pull up bar for Christmas.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    in for 5/3/1 love and sexy arms.
  • PwrLftr82
    yoovie wrote: »
    in for 5/3/1 love and sexy arms.

LOL thanks, Yoovie. 5/3/1 is the BEST!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited December 2014
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

I'm just quoting this one part, so as to not have a wall-o-text. Instead of doing both rows and pulldowns on the same day, pick one. Use the time from whichever one you're getting rid of for your isolation work. Same thing for bench day. So, if you decide to get rid of the pulldowns on OHP day, keep them for bench day, but get rid of the Yates rows on bench day.

Extra volume for your arms won't be overkill, but it'll probably take a while for them to get bigger - except for the pump, that is.

eta: Have you looked into the BBB 3 Month Challenge? That might help, too.
  • PwrLftr82
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Just buy a "Suns out guns out" t-shirt. That increases your arm size by at least 15% to the naked eye.

Oooohhh....good point. This might help too.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GzxRhtZLItY
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    All I'm going to say is that you are still a bad *kitten* and you can lift way heavier things than I can. And your figure is much better as well! However I really can't offer and advice here.
  • PwrLftr82
    TR0berts wrote: »
    eta: Have you looked into the BBB 3 Month Challenge? That might help, too.

I thought about BBB, but I can do like 4 chins in a row and then I can't move for a week. That's why I'm doing lat pull downs and have asked for a pull up bar for xmas (fingers crossed).

I'm so worried about hitting all the big muscles that I feel like I'm neglecting the smaller ones.