Banking calories..myth or real? If real how to do it?

Options
I have been consuming 1500 calories per day on weekdays and 1400 on weekends. Every weekday I'm on treadmill going 3.1 mph at 10% incline for 1.5 hours burning 345 calories and for 1 hour on weekends burning 220. Last night my husband and I went out because he surprised me and I overate 1800 calories so 3300 calories :( would on weekdays I technically be eating 1200 and on weekends if I include what I burned just ate back the burned calories? And according to scoobys workshop http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ my maintanence is 1650 calories. How many calories have I banked and is it ok to eat those back if I saved them up for one day or one weekend?

Replies

• neversummer7
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You, should eat back as many calories as you can. Maybe more.

What? Lol is it bad to bank
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have been consuming 1500 calories per day on weekdays and 1400 on weekends. Every weekday I'm on treadmill going 3.1 mph at 10% incline for 1.5 hours burning 345 calories and for 1 hour on weekends burning 220. Last night my husband and I went out because he surprised me and I overate 1800 calories so 3300 calories :( would on weekdays I technically be eating 1200 and on weekends if I include what I burned just ate back the burned calories? And according to scoobys workshop http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ my maintanence is 1650 calories. How many calories have I banked and is it ok to eat those back if I saved them up for one day or one weekend?

Don't bank calories just work on your daily goal. Your making the whole process a million times harder on yourself then it has to be. Just do some extra cardio the following day for cheat days.

Also might want to look into different types of cardio or trying something different, that's a long walk for only 300 calories.. pick up the intensity and aim for 20 minutes. You can even try HIIT get your cardio done in 12 minutes!!

Good luck, stop over thinking everything!

Brad
  • neversummer7
    Options

My point is, and as you've been told a bunch of times, you should be gaining weight. You should not he worrying about things like this. You're underweight. It's time to seek counseling.

Truthfully I am not that underweight to eat as much as I want maybe gain 5 lbs tops which could be done in a week lol
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

My point is, and as you've been told a bunch of times, you should be gaining weight. You should not he worrying about things like this. You're underweight. It's time to seek counseling.

+1
  • neversummer7
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

+1

I'm trying to understand banking calories concept :/
  • queenliz99
    Options
    You don't need to bank, you need to eat. Seriously.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

If your maintenance calories, not including exercise, are 1,650 calories then to maintain weight:

11,550 calories per week (1,650 x 7)

So far this week you have consumed:

7,800 calories (1,500 x 3 + 3,300)

However, given your exercise you are currently at the following:

6,420 calories for the week (7,800 - 345 x 4)

This leaves you, to maintain your weight, the following:

5,130 calories for the next 3 days (an average of 1,710 calories per day.)

However, if you do 3 more exercise sessions we add back

785 calories (345 + 220 x 2) making a total of

5915 calories for the next 3 days (an average of 1,970 calories per day.)

It is fine to bank calories (within reason) and eat all of those as it averages out to the same thing. That sounds like a fun weekend....

• allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    theres nothing cute about not eating enough
  • msf74
    Options
    allanakern wrote: »

Or being underweight and being in denial.

I have to say that given the OP's numbers it does appear she is consistently under eating.
  • neversummer7
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

I have to say that given the OP's numbers it does appear she is consistently under eating.

How so
  • msf74
    Options

How so

I presume you are maintaining (given the section you have placed this question within) and that your maintenance calories without exercise are as stated (1,650 calories.)

You should therefore be aiming for that amount per day (or averaging out to that amount over the week) as well as eating more for any additional exercise.

You are clearly undershooting that for whatever reason which I doubt is in your best interests.

• graytausn1
    Options
    You could eat at maintenance all week, don't eat your exercise calories back and then on the weekend split up the calories you burned off so you can eat a little more. It really boils down to your caloric intake at the end of the week.

Here, I will get really confusing for you.. lol.

You burn 345 calories M-F which equals to 1725.
    Split 1725 in half to add to your caloric intake on Sat and Sun which gets you 862.5.
    Your maintenance from what you stated is 1650.

Eat your maintenance (1650) M-F and then eat about 2500 calories Sat and Sun.

I used to do something similar to this for a while and it worked out for me and kind of kept me sane. But then again just because it worked for me doesn't mean it's going to work for you. You can at least try it for a few weeks.
  • msf74
    Options
    graytausn1 wrote: »
    You could eat at maintenance all week, don't eat your exercise calories back and then on the weekend split up the calories you burned off so you can eat a little more.

Get...out...of...my...head....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Truthfully I am not that underweight to eat as much as I want maybe gain 5 lbs tops which could be done in a week lol

you are going to gain 5 pounds of fat in a week, really? So you are going to eat 17,500 calories over maintenance in one week…?

based on your OP I highly doubt that..

don't worry about banking calories, worry about getting to a safe weight...

• queenliz99
    Options
    You need to seek professional help. Seriously!!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

How so

I presume you are maintaining (given the section you have placed this question within) and that your maintenance calories without exercise are as stated (1,650 calories.)

You should therefore be aiming for that amount per day (or averaging out to that amount over the week) as well as eating more for any additional exercise.

You are clearly undershooting that for whatever reason which I doubt is in your best interests.

Yeah, but profile says wants to lose 16 lbs :'(