10 Foods You Should Never Eat

MyiahRose
MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
edited December 2014 in Food and Nutrition
1. If you value healthy cholesterol levels, never eat stick margarine.

2. If you think artificial sweeteners are helping you lose weight, you're wrong.

3. If you like a calm hormone system, never eat canned coconut milk, soup and vegetables

4. Never eat kids' cereal if you’re watching your sugar intake.

5. Never eat soybeans and soybean products if you’re concerned about genetically modified food.

6. Never eat tilefish, shark, swordfish and king mackerel if you're worried about mercury.

7. Never eat "industrial" hamburgers if you like clean food.

8. Never drink soda if you don’t want diabetes.

9. Never eat certain apples if you’re worried about pesticides.

10. Never eat processed meat if you want to avoid … premature death!

Read more: http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/10-foods-you-should-never-ever-eat

How do you feel about this article? Honestly its the most ridiculous thing i ever read lol

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Regarding #5: never eat anything.

Dumb list.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Although there could be a 12... Never read stupid articles if you don't want brain damage...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I'm really confused as to why you would eat an entire stick of margirine??

and also- "don't eat processed meat?
    - do you just take a bite out of it while it's still alive walking around?

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Moving on...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    artificial sweeteners are an easy way for me to cut some calories out of my morning coffee, and canned soup/packaged food keeps me from eating out when I just.dont.wanna.cook.

I find both things helpful, so whatever weird list.

I do suppose I should cut back on eating whole sticks of transfat containing stick margarine though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I do suppose I should cut back on eating whole sticks of transfat containing stick margarine though.

Heh. I was already not feeling so good this morning. Definitely not something I needed to think about.

Luckily my entire stick consumption is all butter.

Blergh.

Weird list, and apparently the anti-soup thing goes beyond that one person's trainer. Hmm. I've been thinking I should make more soup, it being winter and all--guess my hormones will be riled.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    MyiahRose wrote: »
    Okay...done. I make my own butter.

2. If you think artificial sweeteners are helping you lose weight, you're wrong.
    . I prefer stevia.

3. If you like a calm hormone system, never eat canned coconut milk, soup and vegetables. Please, I'm a woman-my hormones are NEVER balanced.

I watch my sugar intake with every single bite of Cocoa Pebbles.

5. Never eat soybeans and soybean products if you’re concerned about genetically modified food.
    Or corn. Or wheat. Does not apply, I grown my own food.

7. Never eat tilefish, shark, swordfish and king mackerel if you're worried about mercury.
    I don't eat fish anyway.

8. Never eat "industrial" hamburgers if you like clean food.
    I know, right? I swear those stupid kids drop my burger all the time...oh, wait.

9. Never drink soda if you don’t want diabetes.
    I have one from time to time because I have low blood sugar. It helps if it's all I can find.

10. Never eat certain apples if you’re worried about pesticides.
    Or...you know...wash them....

11. Never eat processed meat if you want to avoid … premature death!
    I really don't like eating my rabbits or chickens while they still have a pulse.

Read more: http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/10-foods-you-should-never-ever-eat

How do you feel about this article? Honestly its the most ridiculous thing i ever read lol

Someone, somewhere, is throwing away a lot of food in a panic....
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    RE: #4 ... Raisin Bran has almost 2x more sugar than Fruity Pebbles
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    O.o. Luckily I'm not worried about any of those things.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    #7 would have to include canned tuna to be "accurate"

#1 When i was at my thinnest, i would buy the cheapest margarine i could find. I took that margarine and rolled little pieces of it in granulated sugar and ate it. It was so yummy to me then and my cholesterol was fine.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member

3. If you like a calm hormone system, never eat canned coconut milk, soup and vegetables

6. Never eat tilefish, shark, swordfish and king mackerel if you're worried about mercury.

7. Never eat "industrial" hamburgers if you like clean food.

8. Never drink soda if you don’t want diabetes.

9. Never eat certain apples if you’re worried about pesticides.

10. Never eat processed meat if you want to avoid … premature death!

gallery_83989_34818_18246989334c0d883aa8feb.gif

• redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited December 2014
    Okay...done. I make my own butter.

. I prefer stevia.

3. If you like a calm hormone system, never eat canned coconut milk, soup and vegetables. Please, I'm a woman-my hormones are NEVER balanced.

I watch my sugar intake with every single bite of Cocoa Pebbles.

Or corn. Or wheat. Does not apply, I grown my own food.

7. Never eat tilefish, shark, swordfish and king mackerel if you're worried about mercury.
    I don't eat fish anyway.

8. Never eat "industrial" hamburgers if you like clean food.
    I know, right? I swear those stupid kids drop my burger all the time...oh, wait.

9. Never drink soda if you don’t want diabetes.
    I have one from time to time because I have low blood sugar. It helps if it's all I can find.

10. Never eat certain apples if you’re worried about pesticides.
    Or...you know...wash them....

11. Never eat processed meat if you want to avoid … premature death!
    I really don't like eating my rabbits or chickens while they still have a pulse.

Someone, somewhere, is throwing away a lot of food in a panic....

380a9-panic.gif?w=389&h=157
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    I think I am slightly dumber after reading this list.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    The whole list is ridiculous, but as someone who works in agriculture the "hormone" gripe gets to me a lot. So just know that no matter what food you eat - conventional, organic, grass-fed, whatever - no food humans eat contains anywhere near the level of hormones needed to produce a response in the body. To put this in perspective:

1 egg contains about 900 ng (nanograms) estrogen
    1 serving of red meat is under 2 ng estrogen
    3 oz cabbage about 2000 ng estrogen

1 birth control pill: 30,000 ng estrogen minimum. And women need to take it every single day at the same time to have any sort of metabolic effect. Women produce millions of nanograms of estrogen per day - so do men and children, while they produce less than adults, still produce astronomically higher amounts of hormones daily than any food you can eat.

All food contains hormones. Food is made from living plants and animals, which have an endocrine system, thus, produce some level of hormones. But the takeaway I want you guys to have is you will never "eat" enough estrogen in your diet from ANY FOOD SOURCE to worry about it affecting your body. You'd need to eat hundreds of eggs a day and even then the body only actually absorbs a fraction of the hormones found in food to begin with. It's not a very efficient way of delivery, which is why people inject steroids, not eat them.

So next time you see labels for foods charging more because the food is "hormone free," you know it's a marketing gimmick - and you know that all food contains hormones and it doesn't make a difference.

Also quick facts, giving synthetic hormones to poultry and swine is illegal in the US. So if you see any chicken claiming to be "hormone free!" or "never given hormones!" you know it's just a label because none of the chicken on your shelf was ever given any synthetic hormone and you know that all the meat and veggies in your store contain small amounts anyway. In beef we can use testosterone implants that go in the ear, and to skip the lesson on cattle production just know that the difference between non-implanted beef and implanted beef is 1.2 vs 1.9 ng per serving. That's it. It's still way lower than pretty much any vegetable or soy product (but we know now that doesn't matter, right?). All the implant does is stimulate the animal to produce a bit more of its own testosterone or estrogens to grow faster. Basically if you implant a steer it will grow a little faster closer to what it would if it still had testicles (was a bull)...and a heifer will grow a little faster closer to if she were a steer. Just picture a ladder of sorts I guess.

Okay that was my rant. Hope it was useful.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    That must suck for the OP as it is well known that the foods listed in the OP are the exact foods I have always heard would bulk the muscles in your ankles....:befuddled:
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    I also wanted to add that when you read articles that claim "x causes cancer and it's found in your food" or "avoid this food because it will give you problems" understand that in studies where they give something to a rat and it gets cancer, two things you need to know:

1) They give an insane amount of the chemical to the animal. Yes, if you pump rats full of aspartame daily for a long enough time, they will start to have problems with cell growth. But the equivalent to this would be a human drinking something like 30 liters of soda A DAY. You would die of plenty of other things long before any potential cancer at that rate, haha.

2) When testing for carcinogenic effects of chemicals and products they use a special strain of mice and rats that are more "prone" to cancer than normal animals. Basically their ability to stop uncontrolled growth is stopped or hindered severely. Why do they do this? Because they want to see if an effect would ever happen in any situation. The easiest analogy I can give is exposing mundane bacteria to someone with AIDS as opposed to someone with a healthy immune function. These lab animals are set up to get cancer or sick in some manner because scientists want to test the "what if" scenarios. But luckily 99% of those scenarios will never apply to people.

So when you see people claiming that aspartame has caused cancer in animals, you know that they were given a lot of it, daily, more than you could ever consume in your life, and it was tested on animals that have nowhere near the levels of cell repair that we humans do.

Am I saying to drink soda all you want? No, soda is pretty disgusting haha. The sugars and empty calories are not doing you any favors, especially for weight loss. But "getting cancer from a food" should be the least of your worries, unless you're eating radioactive foods ;)
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    That must suck for the OP as it is well known that the foods listed in the OP are the exact foods I have always heard would bulk the muscles in your ankles....:befuddled:

The OP also stated that the list is ridiculous.

• Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    lynndot1 wrote: »
    The whole list is ridiculous, but as someone who works in agriculture the "hormone" gripe gets to me a lot. So just know that no matter what food you eat - conventional, organic, grass-fed, whatever - no food humans eat contains anywhere near the level of hormones needed to produce a response in the body. To put this in perspective:

1 egg contains about 900 ng (nanograms) estrogen
    1 serving of red meat is under 2 ng estrogen
    3 oz cabbage about 2000 ng estrogen

1 birth control pill: 30,000 ng estrogen minimum. And women need to take it every single day at the same time to have any sort of metabolic effect. Women produce millions of nanograms of estrogen per day - so do men and children, while they produce less than adults, still produce astronomically higher amounts of hormones daily than any food you can eat.

All food contains hormones. Food is made from living plants and animals, which have an endocrine system, thus, produce some level of hormones. But the takeaway I want you guys to have is you will never "eat" enough estrogen in your diet from ANY FOOD SOURCE to worry about it affecting your body. You'd need to eat hundreds of eggs a day and even then the body only actually absorbs a fraction of the hormones found in food to begin with. It's not a very efficient way of delivery, which is why people inject steroids, not eat them.

So next time you see labels for foods charging more because the food is "hormone free," you know it's a marketing gimmick - and you know that all food contains hormones and it doesn't make a difference.

Also quick facts, giving synthetic hormones to poultry and swine is illegal in the US. So if you see any chicken claiming to be "hormone free!" or "never given hormones!" you know it's just a label because none of the chicken on your shelf was ever given any synthetic hormone and you know that all the meat and veggies in your store contain small amounts anyway. In beef we can use testosterone implants that go in the ear, and to skip the lesson on cattle production just know that the difference between non-implanted beef and implanted beef is 1.2 vs 1.9 ng per serving. That's it. It's still way lower than pretty much any vegetable or soy product (but we know now that doesn't matter, right?). All the implant does is stimulate the animal to produce a bit more of its own testosterone or estrogens to grow faster. Basically if you implant a steer it will grow a little faster closer to what it would if it still had testicles (was a bull)...and a heifer will grow a little faster closer to if she were a steer. Just picture a ladder of sorts I guess.

Okay that was my rant. Hope it was useful.

I ate 50 eggs once. . on a bet. .back when I was in prison. .
  • MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »

Oh gosh..let that post die already lol