Bread - how to get over it?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    Unless you have celiac disease or a wheat allergy, whole wheat bread is healthier to eat than a rice cake. I have a wheat allergy, so I eat either Udi Whole Grain bread made from rice, or Paleo bread made from almonds, or german 100% rye bread. So, enjoy!

This was my thought. I really don't get the deal with rice cakes, is it that they are low calorie? I think they just seem virtuous because they taste like cardboard (sorry, Kalikel!), but I don't see any reason from a nutrition standpoint to eat them instead of bread, and I'm not even a bread person.

Anyway, it seems like the OP has found a resolution; I just wanted to agree.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    First let me say -- I have always LOVED fresh baked bread... more than most sweets. I fit bread into my daily calories, but don’t eat bread every day.

At home, I do buy low-calorie bread and just because it says a serving is 2 slices is 100 calories – I have learned there is nothing wrong with sometimes just a single half-slice (25 calories) – as in the lower left-hand corner below. These are all meals I made keeping them in the 250 calorie range.

At a restaurant, I stick to 1 or 2 pieces of whatever is being served and enjoy it as a treat.

MealSamples_border_zps65f882d4.jpg

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why would we be giving up bread??

read the original post
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When eating away or from a buffet, I pick ONE carbohydrate along with my vegetables and meat. Sometimes I take the crusty bun. Other times, the mashed potatoes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »

read the original post

I did, so let me rephrase, as obviously I don't agree. Why is bread bad?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

read the original post

read the original post. I did not read that as her saying it was "bad" but that it ate up alot of her calories.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    allanakern wrote: »
    i get sara lee 45 calorie bread.. its good and i can have a little more because of the low cals.

Nature's Harvest has a 40-calorie per slice bread and they taste similar.

I use Nature's harvest light multi-grain 40 calorie bread. I love it.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    simply33 wrote: »
    Nobody needs bed things in their life; it tastes good, but it is bad. Rice cakes are more than capable of holding up any foodstuff. So why do I go to the breadbin and look for a comfoting, doughey, squidgy, tasty loaf?

read the original post

read the original post. I did not read that as her saying it was "bad" but that it ate up alot of her calories.

• Dave198lbs
    Options
    Nobody needs bed things in their life; it tastes good, but it is bad. Rice cakes are more than capable of holding up any foodstuff. So why do I go to the breadbin and look for a comfoting, doughey, squidgy, tasty loaf?

read the original post

whatever. I interpreted her meaning of "bad" as in "high calorie"
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to give up anything. Just eat your favorite foods in moderation - that's what makes a sustainable life style. In fact, my lunch was a piece of hot homemade bread with melted butter...yum!

20757594.png
  • mightygirlruns
    Options
    I have a warm asiago bagel every morning for breakfast. It's delicious. And I'm still losing weight. Just work a moderate amount of bread into your day. No need to give anything up.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My make homemade bread twice a week and EAT it! I've lost 60lbs without giving up bread or anything else. If you try to give up the things you love you may be able to do it for awhile but it's not sustainable! Trust me, I've tried.
    Just eat within your calorie deficit every day and factor in the things you love - like bread in moderation.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I'm 48 too. Stop it! It is an awesome age.

Ditto. And if people have a hard time due to limited calories for weight loss(not quite sure how this happens). . . walk a mile eat a piece of bread. mmmmm.......bread

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

read the original post

double post
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have a warm asiago bagel every morning for breakfast. It's delicious. And I'm still losing weight. Just work a moderate amount of bread into your day. No need to give anything up.

While I enjoy bread, a bagel for breakfast is about the last thing I'd do. No offense.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My make homemade bread twice a week and EAT it! I've lost 60lbs without giving up bread or anything else. If you try to give up the things you love you may be able to do it for awhile but it's not sustainable! Trust me, I've tried.
    Just eat within your calorie deficit every day and factor in the things you love - like bread in moderation.

Love home made bread!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

read the original post

LOL epic backtrack …you got all bent out of shape and accused someone of not reading and then - uh oh - you did not read and are like "whatever"…

bahahahahaha
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

read the original post

LOL epic backtrack …you got all bent out of shape and accused someone of not reading and then - uh oh - you did not read and are like "whatever"…

bahahahahaha
    aye-aye captain.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    There's no reason to give up anything. Just eat your favorite foods in moderation - that's what makes a sustainable life style. In fact, my lunch was a piece of hot homemade bread with melted butter...yum!

20757594.png

Your entire lunch was bread and butter?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

read the original post

bahahahahaha

bent out of shape? no. The OP. to me anyway, was saying that while she loves bread, it eats up alot of her calories. And bread does have alot of calories (usually) This whole thread will of course turn into a "everything in moderation" thread.