What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Speaking of wait staff...

What always bugged me when I used to bartend was if I was taking a lunch or dinner break and guests would pass by or approach me and make a comment about how "where's their food" because "they'd like to be able to eat too". Helllooo ask your server/bartender not someone who is obviously on break. I even had one really rude b*tch say I could "afford" to wait to eat dinner a little later which I'm guessing was a jab at my weight. I told her straight up "yeah see where that attitude gets you" so she complained to the manager and he reprimanded her for her rudeness HA!

Going by the "save our restaurant" shows, restaurant staff generally should not eat or take their breaks in view of paying customers. And it's on tv so it's true, right? ;)
  • LivyMarie93
    LivyMarie93 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When my family assumes I'm losing weight because I like someone. Also, when people tease me for using my wii fit once in a while. Hey, it's better than nothing and it burns a nice amount of calories if you're not really feeling up for an intensive workout.
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    "I don't have time to exercise, count points, or calories."

Make time for good health or be forced to find time for illness.

Love your comeback, and so true.
  • maryseb63
    Options
    pap3rw1ngs wrote: »
    People thinking eating super low calories is a good idea (the less calories, the better, right?). I don't get why you wouldn't want to eat more calories, still lose weight at a good rate and have a better chance of keeping it off. And, you know, be healthy and strong rather than weak.

I love this one. I don't like telling people what they don't want to hear but just get me when I see this. If they ask my opinion on that I just reply that I would never be able to keep that up for a lifetime and this for me it's about a whole new lifestyle for life.
  • maryseb63
    Options
    How about the people who say you should stop losing weight or your are getting too skinny. Especially in my case when I am still right on the border of normal/overweight on the BMI charts for my height and weight.

I'm still at the border of obese/overweight after losing 100 lbs and I get that from most of my family. I try to be polite but it angers me so bad.

• RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    miketoryan wrote: »
    my biggest weight loss pet peeve is when it is "negative" weight loss
    RHPS84 wrote: »
    "I can't afford healthy food." We are a family of 5 on one budget and we make it work.

i have a family of 4 on one budget but the "one budget" is 6 figures so I don't think the "one budget" thing really tells us anything.

Good for you guys
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    Two things:

1. I've had multiple people tell me I'm "weak" for needing to eat every few hours. Um, great if you can subsist on one meal a day, but if I tried that I'd be horrifically hangry and then would pass out (for real). We're all different!

I used to be like that too. I have passed out a few times from not eating on schedule but I'm slowing working it out of me. I used to have to eat as soon as I woke up but I started pushing back breakfast little at a time and now I can fast about 12-13 hours (counting sleeping at night) before I start feeling hungry. Just saying if you wanted to you could train your body to last longer without food. Obviously whatever works for you is the way to go!

My need to eat is because of a medical blood sugar condition, so no "training" will help!

On that note..

Before I got my blood glucose under control I would often hear (from someone who was well aware of my hypoglycemia) "maybe if you would just push yourself harder during your workouts you would be able to lose weight." This was back when I couldn't do any activity for more than 20 minutes without my blood glucose dropping. So no, I wasn't able to push myself..unless I wanted to pass out.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    1. People who do not wipe equipment down when they are finished. I usually wipe before and after now but where's the common courtesy?

2. Being told I'm 'lucky' that I am 'able' to lose weight.

You're so lucky your body uses laws of thermodynamics. Mine doesn't. My body goes beyond all science and reason. My body is out of this world

my favorite comment of the day.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When they post they want to "loose" weight.

ugh, yes and you aren't allowed to correct them on here. it's against the rules.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When they post they want to "loose" weight.

ugh, yes and you aren't allowed to correct them on here. it's against the rules.

Yes..loose.

I'm kind of glad it's against the rules to correct grammar. It keeps me from being an a..hole in that regard.
  • maryseb63
    Options
    I've read about 5 pages of this thread, very interesting. I'm not sure if this pet peeve has been said but one of mine is people that put themselves down. Calling themselves pigs, fatso, all those terms. I have been up to 275 lbs and have never called myself anything like that. I find that is not loving yourself and that is a very important thing. I loved myself, big, thin or inbetween. Also, it seems that you assume that bigger people are not worthy. We all have health issues but name calling and fat shaming will not help anyone.
  • maryseb63
    Options
    people thinking they know better for my body than I do (outside of my medical team)

Thinking chronic illness/ pain is an excuse

Oh and the "that's impossible" crew who truly believe that they are 100% right 100% of the time

I like the chronic illness/pain excuse. Sometimes the weight issues are causing the chronice issues :). And for the pain issue, weight usually helps it out too.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    people thinking they know better for my body than I do (outside of my medical team)

Um. Chronic illness isn't an excuse not to exercise, it's a reason. Not all of them are caused by being overweight, few of them can be solved with exercise/diet, and many are exacerbated by forcing yourself to move. I think it's natural to become less fit if you're stuck in bed all day every day, and anyone in that situation can't be blamed.

• blktngldhrt
    Options
    maryseb63 wrote: »

Oh and the "that's impossible" crew who truly believe that they are 100% right 100% of the time

I like the chronic illness/pain excuse. Sometimes the weight issues are causing the chronice issues :). And for the pain issue, weight usually helps it out too.

What about stuff like rheumatoid arthritis? It's not an excuse to not count calories..but excdrc

Um. Chronic illness isn't an excuse not to exercise, it's a reason. Not all of them are caused by being overweight, few of them can be solved with exercise/diet, and many are exacerbated by forcing yourself to move. I think it's natural to become less fit if you're stuck in bed all day every day, and anyone in that situation can't be blamed.

Agreed.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Speaking of wait staff...

What always bugged me when I used to bartend was if I was taking a lunch or dinner break and guests would pass by or approach me and make a comment about how "where's their food" because "they'd like to be able to eat too". Helllooo ask your server/bartender not someone who is obviously on break. I even had one really rude b*tch say I could "afford" to wait to eat dinner a little later which I'm guessing was a jab at my weight. I told her straight up "yeah see where that attitude gets you" so she complained to the manager and he reprimanded her for her rudeness HA!

Going by the "save our restaurant" shows, restaurant staff generally should not eat or take their breaks in view of paying customers. And it's on tv so it's true, right? ;)
    More like, as a matter of professionalism, you shouldn't be taking meals in front of customers. Back when I cooked our meals were much different from what customers could get on the menu.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    It annoys me to no end when NATIONAL RESTAURANT CHAINS do not have the nutrition information available in their restaurants or online. I do not care how you "strive to maintain quality ingredients, and nutrition information might change". Just because I am "dieting" does not mean that I want to stay home and cook all my meals. I also want to eat out (which I am doing a lot of -This is a lifestyle change, and I still can eat out and lose weight), and it will be greatly appreciated if you at least have the very basic nutritional information available so that I have a ballpark estimate of how much insulin I need to take. Otherwise, I'm not going to step foot into your business.

Similarly, if you don't have the nutritional information, don't BS it right in front of me. I had a waitress tell me that seven tortilla chips is 150 calories and must be 150g of carbohydrates (at the most, it should have been 38g of carbs). If you don't know, please just say that you don't know instead of pulling things out of thin air.

This! This so much! Just give me some kind of idea of the nutrition. I get that not every chicken breast weighs the same but if you're getting them from the same supplier it's probably averaged out somehow.

Also people who say you have to eat breakfast/jump start your metabolism/keep the metabolic fire stoked. Why should I eat right when I get up if I'm not hungry. Add to that I have medication that has to be taken on an empty stomach. If I don't take it in the morning there's a chance I'll forget completely. I eat a slightly bigger lunch and dinner and stay under my calorie goal. If I'm hungry in the morning, I promise I'll eat something.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Also people who say you have to eat breakfast/jump start your metabolism/keep the metabolic fire stoked. Why should I eat right when I get up if I'm not hungry.
    well, to be fair.

Those people are idiots and research supports that meal timing is irrelevant.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    maryseb63 wrote: »
    I've read about 5 pages of this thread, very interesting. I'm not sure if this pet peeve has been said but one of mine is people that put themselves down. Calling themselves pigs, fatso, all those terms. I have been up to 275 lbs and have never called myself anything like that. I find that is not loving yourself and that is a very important thing. I loved myself, big, thin or inbetween. Also, it seems that you assume that bigger people are not worthy. We all have health issues but name calling and fat shaming will not help anyone.

People who assume that someone trying to lose weight is doing so because they hate their body, or assuming all fat people must be filled with shame and self-hatred. I remember a speech that Gabourey Sidibe made a while back about how impressed and incredulous people were of her 'confidence' and that people kept praising her for it and asking 'how did you get to be so confident?', like it was so bizzare for an overweight woman to be confident. I remember her saying that nobody ever asked Rhianna where she got her confidence from.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    KnM0107 wrote: »

"I also hate when people who look thinnner than me tell me how horrible they look and that they need to lose weight because they are hideous. people dont even think about how thing like that are not only self depricating which is bad enough but also inulting to me, because if you look bad you are pretty much telling me i am even more hideous."

How someone feels about their own body has absolutely nothing to do with you...
    Anybody at any size can have body issues and being thinner doesn't make their feelings less important. You being bigger doesn't make your feelings more important.

I agree with this, but I also know that it's natural to assume that someone who thinks she's disgusting at 110 probably thinks it's more disgusting to be 200, even if she's way more judgmental of herself than she would be of anyone else. I've learned not to be bothered by people's expressions of body insecurity, but the real takeaway for me is to realize that others could be hurt by me going on negatively about my own body, so it's probably rude and a good thing to avoid.

It's also a good reminder not to do something that I think is unhelpful and negative, and to remind myself that I don't think that way about other people's bodies, so should not about mine. IMO, there often is a connection between how judgmental you are of yourself and the standards you apply to others, though.

I once had a friend who was slim and athletic say to myself and another overweight woman that she couldn't possibly go to the beach because she had gained five pounds and would be embarrassed to put on a bathing suit, people would think it was disgusting. I asked if she walked along the beach thinking that about other people and she said "Yes, of course!"

Perhaps what she meant was that she couldn't possibly go to the beach with us, but I still choose to believe she had some real issues.

True. And I have female relatives who make statements like that about themselves as a way to shame others. So when someone says that about themselves, I've been hard-wired to think it's a passive-aggressive slight. Whether you mean it that way or not, I assume you're negging me.

As to the mens sizing, let me assure you that a size 32"32" does not mean the same thing from brand to brand. Vanity sizing is alive and well in the mens department too.

When I say that I feel like the ugliest, fattest most unattractive hambeast on the beach - i don't consider others who may weigh more than me to be worse. I don't even think about them.

IM the worst. because im the one that has to live in my body. The only thing I really notice on other people is - ooh that pattern is cute, or I wish I could wear that kind of suit, or I wonder if I could get away with that yet. The only time I judge someone's appearance is when they are immodest by my standards and it's not like I'd tell them lol. Other than this, I am too distracted by my own imperfections.

I dont judge others harder than i judge myself. Im a pushover when it comes to other people. The criticizing voice in my head is a skinny shrew-like, bony fingered, bible thumping, cold souled apparition of my mother. And she doesn't know anyone else on that beach lol!

that the thing though. you should. i mean if you are talking to someone, you hould consider how your words would affect them. i mean if you give a crap about them. i am not saying you should care about everyone in the universe all the time. but if you are talking to someone, and something you are saying would be indirectly insulting, even if you are directing it to yourself... you should think about them.

my original post was about my mom, who gained a lot of weight suddenly, and now she looks like i looked most of the last say 15 years... she repeatedly tells me she is hideous and horrible, and all i can think is... you have seen me my whole life, i looked almost exactly like you. how can you stand here and tell me you are hideous, and not realize you are telling me that i looked hideous for years.

but it is exactly what you are saying. "i dont even think about them" and "distracted by my own imperfections" and i dont think this has nothing to do with me, if i am part of the conversation. it is a pet peeve of mine that people are careless with their words when putting themsleves down. people SHOULD think of who they are talking to before they open their mouths, otherwise they are not talking to you at all, just bouncing their words off someone whos feelings dont matter.

the funny thing is... over thanksgiving i finally got tired of it and told her how i felt when she said things like that... and she said "but i always thought your were beautiful even when you were bigger" and i said then why cant you feel that about yourself?

its all very complicated though..with moms...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I hate when someone who is an adult says they don't want to drink water or eat something healthy because it's 'boring.'

You are not a toddler, you do not need sprinkles and purple food coloring on your chicken.

I don't drink water because it's exciting, I drink it because I need it. How empty is the rest of your life that you need exciting beverages daily?

So because I flavor my drinks and prefer not to eat boring *kitten* my life must be empty? How shallow are you that that's your only logical conclusion?