What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options
What is something people say or do regarding healthy living / weight / fitness that is your pet peeve?

I have two:

1) "X food is fattening"-- I don't know why but it irritates me every time! Almost EVERYTHING we eat could be fattening if you eat too much of it, just like pizza isn't necessarily fattening if you have one slice.

2) "I've tried everything to lose weight."-- Weight loss / diet isn't something you TRY for a week and then go, "welp, that didn't work!"

I have successfully lost weight in the past, and am at my highest weight ever right now, so I'm not trying to be on my high horse here. It's just that I KNOW why I am overweight, and it's not because I "tried" everything or ate something that was "fattening."

What about you guys? What comments, questions, or things do people do that you just have to fight not to roll your eyes?

Replies

• CatLady1309
    Options
    "Eating healthier rarely works"..I lost 3 stone doing it! Lol
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    "I don't have time to exercise, count points, or calories."

Make time for good health or be forced to find time for illness.
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    "I don't have time to exercise, count points, or calories."

Make time for good health or be forced to find time for illness.

This bugs me too! Especially when 5 mintues later they're like "OMG did you see the new episode of blah blah blah last night?"
  • Jasper_Thinkington
    Jasper_Thinkington Posts: 73 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's not a pet peeve, but just difficult. I restrict myself from a certain oil that is basically in everything nowadays. I go to my family's house for holidays/get togethers/parties and it is proclaimed that several things there don't have it in it and I can eat it, but they 100% do have it in there haha. It doesn't annoy me, but it always puts me in a difficult or bummed situation when I have to pass. Everyone has a mom so I'm sure you'll understand.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    "Lifting weights is too hard so I don't do it."
  • Pandapotato
    Options
    It's not a pet peeve, but just difficult. I restrict myself from a certain oil that is basically in everything nowadays. I go to my family's house for holidays/get togethers/parties and it is proclaimed that several things there don't have it in it and I can eat it, but they 100% do have it in there haha. It doesn't annoy me, but it always puts me in a difficult or bummed situation when I have to pass. Everyone has a mom so I'm sure you'll understand.

I have a friend who is allergic to canola oil and I've been amazed how much has canola oil-- and that restaurants even clean their grills with it!
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    People thinking eating super low calories is a good idea (the less calories, the better, right?). I don't get why you wouldn't want to eat more calories, still lose weight at a good rate and have a better chance of keeping it off. And, you know, be healthy and strong rather than weak.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    "I wish I could be like you."

DUDE IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU. I'm not even kidding, I'm the laziest little *kitten* there ever was. My favorite pasttime is staying in bed all day. I love food, I love shoveling it into my piehole. But oh, wait, I found it somewhere within me to lose weight and get hot. So like...if I'm doing this, anyone can do it too.
  • LACnessMonster
    LACnessMonster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Being judged for being able to hit a buffet. Hard. With glee.
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Similar to your point 1, "should you really be eating that if you are on a diet?". AAARRRGGGHH, that's for me to decide, and - even though I don't need to justify it - I am eating it because I can, now leave me the xxxx alone to enjoy my chips in peace.
  • hawaiival13
    hawaiival13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Biggest on for me is women thinking they will bulk up like a man if they do any strength training. Strength training is sooooo important to do!!
  • Pandapotato
    Options
    Biggest on for me is women thinking they will bulk up like a man if they do any strength training. Strength training is sooooo important to do!!

Right?! I thought of it as something "for guys who want to bulk up" but have more recently realized that those gorgeous legs and flat stomachs are actually in part due to strength training! Plus... up my metabolism? yes please!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Most of the conversations I've had with extended family over Thanksgiving, oh goodness they were annoying

"Are you sure you can eat that? You are on a diet!"
    I've lost 59 pounds, I think I've figured out how this works, and I still manage to eat delicious things. Weight loss doesn't have to mean sad food, now hand over the damn pie

"Oh, you mean you have to actually work for it? Bummer, looks like I'm staying fat, that is too much work"
    No I don't have the magic solution, unless you mean eat less move more, and it really isn't that hard if you make it a priority. And don't buy into stupid weight loss schemes, you will just waste your money if it isn't a long term sustainable thing

"So and so lost 50 pounds by doing (insert random thing here)"
    Good for so and so, but I'm not so and so and I don't want to cut out all alcohol or carbs, or spend $500 for a stupid plan or whatever, my registered dietitian knows more than you and I'll listen to her, again, 59 pounds gone, I don't want your stupid uneducated advice
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The One And Only Way people. As if their way is the way and if you differ, you will fail.

Usually, though, I love hearing other people's attempts, successes, failures. The wackier, the better, too. When you have a lot of weight to lose, like I do, it gets boring. So any new idea is great to hear. I love trying new things, too. :)
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Oh pet peeves, yes!
    1. You clearly don't eat enough! Meanwhile I eat like a teenage boy it's just WHAT I eat that makes the difference.
    2. I don't have time for exercise and all that, I have responsibilities. OUCH like I don't?

The latest now that I'm in maintenance are people who didn't know me before with this statement...
    You don't know what it's like, you're skinny! HAHA well thanks but 85 pounds ago I had those same issues and you know what with the weight loss and exercise the issues are gone now. Hmmm wonder what kind of magic that was.

Sorry but you caught me on a day I'm slightly annoyed the peeves came flowing out. :wink:
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    Most of the conversations I've had with extended family over Thanksgiving, oh goodness they were annoying

"Are you sure you can eat that? You are on a diet!"
    I've lost 59 pounds, I think I've figured out how this works, and I still manage to eat delicious things. Weight loss doesn't have to mean sad food, now hand over the damn pie

"Oh, you mean you have to actually work for it? Bummer, looks like I'm staying fat, that is too much work"
    No I don't have the magic solution, unless you mean eat less move more, and it really isn't that hard if you make it a priority. And don't buy into stupid weight loss schemes, you will just waste your money if it isn't a long term sustainable thing

"So and so lost 50 pounds by doing (insert random thing here)"
    Good for so and so, but I'm not so and so and I don't want to cut out all alcohol or carbs, or spend $500 for a stupid plan or whatever, my registered dietitian knows more than you and I'll listen to her.

I HATE that one, I am told it often. I tell my friend to tell <<so and so>> that I have lost 45lb by eating healthy and not spending a single penny on any fads or plans.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    People who say Bananas make you fat or this makes you fat or that makes you fat. I like bananas and you wont believe the number of people who say that is what makes you fat. My response is "no a calorie surplus is what causes weight gain not a specific food." They usually stand there look confused and walk away.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    People who complain they aren't losing weight and I see in their diary, they always eat way over their calories.
    My family pretty much trying to force feed me food and then saying I'm not fat and I should just have a slice or two. Eating better for a while now has made my body dislike lots of greasy foods. It's not that I don't want the pizza, my body will reject it. Apparently that doesn't matter.