What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    meltedsno wrote: »
    Makes me crazy when people think they deserve a "cheat" day... IF they were serious about losing and maintaining weight, there should be no reason for a "cheat" day... I also hate it when people talk about being on a "diet"... a diet is temporary... lifestyle change is permanent. and then I suppose I make people crazy talking about my "lifestyle" change... lol... One other thing that makes me angry -- I don't know where this falls -- but there is nothing more irritating and condescending than a thin person in the midst of others who are overweight and then says "Oh I feel so obese"... this happened to me years ago. I was at my all time high of 270 lbs... was fitting a wedding dress on a bride -- dress was a size 0 -- she stands in the mirror looking at herself and proclaims that she is so obese... arghhhhhhhhh...

I'll agree with your first point. It's amazing seeing someone that's 300lbs say "i lost a pound. I deserve a cheat day!" and then stuff their face with all the food that got them fat in the first place. It's like...what?! You're still fat. You still have a problem! You don't need to be focusing on junk food right now. You need to get your crap together.

That's like me only having a job for 3 days and going out and buying a $50,000 car. I don't have job stability. Why the hell would i think i can splurge so soon?!

No, it's like you having a job three days and buying a TV. If the math evens out, you can still be "focused on junk food", remember? They just need some coaching on not going nuts when they do this

• lbrann25
    lbrann25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    "I wish I could be like you."

DUDE IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU. I'm not even kidding, I'm the laziest little *kitten* there ever was. My favorite pasttime is staying in bed all day. I love food, I love shoveling it into my piehole. But oh, wait, I found it somewhere within me to lose weight and get hot. So like...if I'm doing this, anyone can do it too.

I wish there was a like/love button for this :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Oh, and on the flip side of my last comment. The people who brag about how it's not big deal to eat pizza or ice cream every day. Again, let's check the diary. Oh, so you get 3500 calories a day huh? Maybe, just maybe, that's why you're able to eat a pint of ice cream a night and most people can't.

so this ^
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I hate when someone who is an adult says they don't want to drink water or eat something healthy because it's 'boring.'

You are not a toddler, you do not need sprinkles and purple food coloring on your chicken.

I don't drink water because it's exciting, I drink it because I need it. How empty is the rest of your life that you need exciting beverages daily?

So because I flavor my drinks and prefer not to eat boring *kitten* my life must be empty? How shallow are you that that's your only logical conclusion?

I'm sorry that you felt like my rant was a personal attack against you, it wasn't. It was in response to seeing numerous posts about people not wanting to drink water (usually trying to justify drinking only diet soda or counting soup as water intake), or eat any vegetables at all.

It wasn't my only logical conclusion, it was a hyperbole. You know that you have more in your life than your flavored water, don't let me upset you.

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I hate when someone who is an adult says they don't want to drink water or eat something healthy because it's 'boring.'

You are not a toddler, you do not need sprinkles and purple food coloring on your chicken.

I don't drink water because it's exciting, I drink it because I need it. How empty is the rest of your life that you need exciting beverages daily?

So because I flavor my drinks and prefer not to eat boring *kitten* my life must be empty? How shallow are you that that's your only logical conclusion?

I'm sorry that you felt like my rant was a personal attack against you, it wasn't. It was in response to seeing numerous posts about people not wanting to drink water (usually trying to justify drinking only diet soda or counting soup as water intake), or eat any vegetables at all.

It wasn't my only logical conclusion, it was a hyperbole. You know that you have more in your life than your flavored water, don't let me upset you.

Yes, sticks and stones. You shouldn't use the fact that your targets should know "they're better than that" as a reason to just say whatever. "People" are made up of individual, living, breathing, feeling human beings, some of whom you managed to call toddlers and empty lived. But frankly yeah, I wanted to let it go. But then it kept getting quoted over and over again by people lauding your post, exactly as written. This is what we do? Okay
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    she is always posting these pics of women in bikinis saying how she "HOPES" to look like that one day

As my grandmother would say, "Wish in one hand and spit in the other. See which one fills up first."

(I expect that the saying was laundered for children's ears, though...)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Oh, and on the flip side of my last comment. The people who brag about how it's not big deal to eat pizza or ice cream every day. Again, let's check the diary. Oh, so you get 3500 calories a day huh? Maybe, just maybe, that's why you're able to eat a pint of ice cream a night and most people can't.

so this ^
    Yeah, I'm tired of that one, too. Bragging about how much you can eat in a diet forum, as if it's some special accomplishment. Half the braggarts are in maintenance so it'd wouldn't be relevant even if we were all the same size, age, gender and activity level, with the same goals.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

so this ^
    Yeah, I'm tired of that one, too. Bragging about how much you can eat in a diet forum, as if it's some special accomplishment. Half the braggarts are in maintenance so it'd wouldn't be relevant even if we were all the same size, age, gender and activity level, with the same goals.

But what strikes me as odd is that the original commenter is irritated by both the people eating copious quantities of the stuff, and those who portion things out and only eat a bit of it. Seems like Icecream can't win

For me that information was helpful though. I used to think the only way to lose weight was chicken and brocolli and if you did something else you had failed. Other than folks who somehow intentionally and successfully do elimination diets, the fact is that most of us will eat this stuff. It's just nice to know its not some evil, dirty secret and that it can be used to successfully reach our goals

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Yes, sticks and stones. You shouldn't use the fact that your targets should know "they're better than that" as a reason to just say whatever. "People" are made up of individual, living, breathing, feeling human beings, some of whom you managed to call toddlers and empty lived. But frankly yeah, I wanted to let it go. But then it kept getting quoted over and over again by people lauding your post, exactly as written. This is what we do? Okay

I am not going to apologize for my post because of the spirit in which it was intended. I mocked people's behavior but I didn't assassinate their character. When I tried to offer you assurance that it was not a personal attack you choose to attack me personally for a second and third time. I am sorry you are unable to see the levity of a situation where I did.

I am not letting it bother me that you have called me personally a shallow, thoughtless bully. Please stop letting it bother you that I called out a group of people on their behavior and you chose to self-identity with that group.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's not very rational, but my pet peeve is when people say, "If I can do it, anyone can". Even if they underwent a fantastic transformation and know where I'm coming from, I could never relate to that. In theory, anybody can lose weight, but I feel like people who succeed in losing and maintaining have mentally grown along the way.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

I am not going to apologize for my post because of the spirit in which it was intended. I mocked people's behavior but I didn't assassinate their character. When I tried to offer you assurance that it was not a personal attack you choose to attack me personally for a second and third time. I am sorry you are unable to see the levity of a situation where I did.

I am not letting it bother me that you have called me personally a shallow, thoughtless bully. Please stop letting it bother you that I called out a group of people on their behavior and you chose to self-identity with that group.

I am indeed unable to see the levity. Words ridiculing groups are always funny to somebody. Forgive me for being dense, maybe someday I will learn
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I thought of another massive annoyance/piss off

people who use photos of fat people (usually made into some kind of thinspo/fitspo) to motivate themselves
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't start a flame war, but people that hijack a thread because they got offended and just start attacking each other. Take it somewhere else, this is an opinion thread. It's how you FEEL. There is no right or wrong. Warning-you might get offended if everything is about you or your twice-removed cousin of your third husband that has THAT problem. /rant
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I hope I don't start a flame war, but people that hijack a thread because they got offended and just start attacking each other. Take it somewhere else, this is an opinion thread. It's how you FEEL. There is no right or wrong. Warning-you might get offended if everything is about you or your twice-removed cousin of your third husband that has THAT problem. /rant

Warning - this is a discussion forum. People might add posts to existing threads. Aren't you doing the same thing by whining about posts being made by others? Aren't you somewhat, *gasp* "offended" by the posts?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    I thought of another massive annoyance/piss off

people who use photos of fat people (usually made into some kind of thinspo/fitspo) to motivate themselves

Good one.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yes

• glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    "I'll start tomorrow"
    Single handedly the worst attitude.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Get thicker skin.

Her post was spot on, there is no reason adults should refuse to eat vegetables or drink water because they are "boring." Sometimes as adults you do things you don't always want to do because it can benefit in ways other than tasting good.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Food Bragging. Yes!

That's more an MFP thing than a weight loss one, though. I have never heard anyone do food bragging in real life.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Get thicker skin.

Her post was spot on, there is no reason adults should refuse to eat vegetables or drink water because they are "boring." Sometimes as adults you do things you don't always want to do because it can benefit in ways other than tasting good.

So if you found veg or water intake challenging because you didn't like the taste, that means you're a toddler and your life must be empty, that is your position? One question I have that is based on several probably incorrect assumptions then - how did all these veggie loving adults get fat in the first place? I've found they've cut out a *kitten* ton of calories for me