Sixers Holiday Challenge Week 1

Options

Replies

• pdxmomof2
    Options
    Good morning/afternoon fellow Sixers!

I have a question for all of you....I am currently cleaning out my drawers and closets of clothes that dont fit or that I just have barely ever worn. I have some that I have been hanging on to just because they seem too nice to just give to Goodwill. I am not a yard sale person plus it will be another 6 or 7 months before the weather will allow a yard sale. So I wanted to know if there are any of you out there who wear a size 16. I have 3 dress shirts, 3 dress pants (2 capri and 1 regular length) , and about 5 pairs of nice GAP/Old Navy Jeans in a size 16. I would love to pass them on to someone who is needing clothes during their weightloss journey.

Let me know. I would be willing to send them out to you. I can also send pics if needed.

Amy
  • katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    Options
    I am back home now! Yay! Love being with family, but it is hard to get in exercise and the right amount and right type of calories.

This morning I got up and walked for 1/2 mile and jogged a full mile (I am sooo not a long distance runner/jogger) my mile time was 10:20!! I was like wow, it was better than when I did it the other day at 11:30!!!

Amy, that is so thoughtful and considerate of you to offer your clothes- Someone out there is in need of them and would greatly appreciate it- I know I would if I was still a 16!! :flowerforyou:

Deb- I agree with you and Tjones as well, I love being with my family, but its so hard on my routine!!
    I feel like Ive taken 5 steps back the past week!!!

Pedal- Thats awesome that you can have such a great mindset, and tell yourself to keep going bc you are doing everything right :)

PSUGirl Nicole- Welcome from me :flowerforyou: Things have been so crazy I havent been able to welcome you !!

Cathy, Kristin, Tamm, Connie and any I missed I hope you all are having a great weekend and if you celebrated thanksgiving this past week I hope it went well too :happy: :flowerforyou:

So Im back on track today-

Bfast- fiber one cereal, bowl of fruit (strawberries, honeydew, canteloupe)
    Lunch- Tuna and provolone on fiber wheat bread

Snacks and dinner..not sure yet!! Grapefruit, fiber one bar and salad for dinner probably.

77669.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal
  • amylou24
    amylou24 Posts: 365
    Options
    Hi!

Absentee MFP-er here. So sorry but unfortunately things have gotten sidetracked while I'm at my mom's. I was supposed to head back to school today but snow and yucky roads have kept me at home another day (darn, now I have to miss my only monday class.....I think I'll get over it :wink: ) I am actually doing pretty well. Meals have been a little more calorie heavy than I would like but because of that I haven't been snacking in between since I haven't been hungry so I can't complain too much.

Shred DVD today and then 8 1/2 hour drive back to school tomorrow. I'm with everyone else, time with family is fantastic but I am so off track right now. Not to mention eager to weigh myself on my own scale that is consistent. :bigsmile:

If I don't check back in today I will be on tomorrow evening when I get back to school. Have a great day!!
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Good morning/afternoon fellow Sixers!

I have a question for all of you....I am currently cleaning out my drawers and closets of clothes that dont fit or that I just have barely ever worn. I have some that I have been hanging on to just because they seem too nice to just give to Goodwill. I am not a yard sale person plus it will be another 6 or 7 months before the weather will allow a yard sale. So I wanted to know if there are any of you out there who wear a size 16. I have 3 dress shirts, 3 dress pants (2 capri and 1 regular length) , and about 5 pairs of nice GAP/Old Navy Jeans in a size 16. I would love to pass them on to someone who is needing clothes during their weightloss journey.

Let me know. I would be willing to send them out to you. I can also send pics if needed.

Amy

I am not a size 16 yet but I will be someday I tell myself. If no one else wants them I would be willing to take them off of your hands.

Connie
  • pdxmomof2
    Options
    Connie, Id say they are yours then. Just PM me an address to send them to. They are all in GOOD , ALMOST NEW shape. Some may even still have tags on them. I would rather they go to someone who I know will use them then to give them away. I have no problem donating to Goodwill but have to check with my people first!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I can't believe tomorrow is December!! We had fun decorating the Christmas tree at my in-laws' place tonight. It was the first time that whole side of the family has been together in a year and it's usually a fairly tense dynamic when it's the whole crew but it was good this time. There is a lot of growth happening after almost losing my FIL! Sadly though I was feeling too hungry by this evening from not having eaten properly earlier in the day (I ended up going back to bed because I felt really awful but I didn't eat much) so I ended up going over my cals by 330 :grumble: I don't know... I think my body needed the extra fuel. I actually feel hunger pangs now too but I'm done for the night. I didn't eat lots in one sitting or make poor food choices, I actually did pretty well but had some more calorie-dense things like a little yogurt, 2 tbsp cashews... I'll see how I feel about it tomorrow but at this point I plan on doing about 200 cals of exercise however I've not accounted for that with the food to compensate. I'll trust my body to tell me if it REALLY wanted those extra cals for a good purpose today :wink: I was proud though - I packed my protein shake and apple to take to my in-laws' to be sure I had the right snack :happy:

Katy, AmyLou, PSU - heya! I'm happy your holiday is over in the States so I can get my chatty Sixers back :flowerforyou:

Here are my meal plans for tomorrow!

1: sweet quinoa porridge (again! - it was so good this morning.. recipe below!)
    2: chocolate protein shake, gala apple
    3: 2 egg white bites (recipe below)
    4: 1/2 sprouted grain bagel w/ 1.5 tbsp crunchy almond butter & 1/2 med banana
    5: spinach, ricotta & cranberry-stuffed chicken breast baked over quinoa
    6: 1 large pomegranate

I hope to do my final C25K for the "week" tomorrow. Would usually have finished it today. Next week I start "the big one"... ends with the solid 20 minute run :noway: Trying not to think ahead of myself and get freaked out though :tongue:

Recipes:

Sweet Quinoa Porridge (that I made up this morning)
    3/4 cup quinoa
    1 tbsp millet
    1.55 cups water
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon
    (bring to a low boil & cook until germ begins to uncoil from quinoa. Add 2 tbsp flax meal & 3/4 cup skim milk & 1/2 tsp agave nectar & 1/4 cup dried cranberries. Cook until quinoa is soft and germ is uncoiled. Mixture should thicken. Spoon into bowls & sprinkle with chopped walnuts & 1/4 cup skim milk.)
    serving size = 1 generous 1/2 cup of quinoa porridge, 4 walnuts chopped & 1/4 cup skim milk. See "sweet quinoa porridge" in database for 1 serving
    Calories 351 Carbs 57 Fat 9 Protein 12 Sodium 56 Fiber 7

Egg White bites
    lightly spray muffin tin with cooking spray, separate egg into tin discarding yolk (or use 2 tbsp egg whites). Chop & seed a plum tomato & sprinkle small pieces into egg yolk (1 plum tomato per 4 egg whites) and sprinkle w/ dried basil. Bake at 350* for 6 to 8 minutes until cooked through. You can also top with small sprinkle of skim milk cheese or salsa but this isn't included in recipe nutrition stats.
    per 2 egg white bites:
    cals 36 carbs 2 fat 0 protein 8 sodium 110 fibre 0

Off to bed... A new week and a new month tomorrow - let's show it what we've got!! :bigsmile:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    happy monday......
    back to the old grind stone this week. hope everyone has a good day back to life....enought playing....

got up at 5 took son, stopped at gym. upped my running today. did a 10 min run with 1 min walk. did that 3xs and than cut it in half. 5 mins run, 2 mins walk and did that for the last 30 mins. i just couldn't go anymore. by time i finished 90 mins at the gym, burned 1140 cals.

??question?? when i burn high calories i don't eat them all. i will go to 1800 (w/o exercise i get 1430) anyway the day after (like tomorrow) the scale goes up. should i eat all those exercise calories?? is that why i hang onto whatever it is? i do drink all my water.

so, today plans are: heam a pair of pants, pick up son, pick up things, pay bills.

drive by later, cathy

ps...still sore shanell????
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies! Happy Monday to ya!!!!!! Not too much time here...so much to catch up on after a long weekend! Oh well. Let's see...here's a breakdown of my exercise this weekend...spinning class Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, Step class Friday. So, that was pretty good! Don't know about calories this weekend. Yesterday was good except I ended up munching on some popcorn that my hubby got when we went to see a movie last night!:grumble: SO...probably retaining some water today...with all that salt!:noway: Oh well. Here's the plan for today:

Breakfast
    Old Orchard - Healthy Balance Pomegranate Cranberry, 8 FL OZ 29
    One A Day - Womens Multi Vitamin, 1 tablet 0
    Multi Grain Cheerios & Banana, 1 meal 255
    Total breakfast 284

AM snacks
    Kashi Tlc - Baked Apple Spice Cereal Bar, 1 Bar 110
    Coffee - ground, 2 cup 0
    Nestle Coffee Mate - Coffee Creamer (Sugar Free Vanilla Caramel), 2 tbsp 30
    Total AM snacks 140

Lunch
    Turkey&Cheese Sandwich, 1 meal 138
    Diet Coke - Soft Drink, 12 fl. oz. 0
    Carrots - Baby, 14 pieces 35
    Ae Yo-Lite Yogurt - Yogurt, 6 oz 80
    Total lunch 253

Afternoon snacks
    Kashi Tlc - Chewy Granola Bars - Honey Almond Flax, 1 bar (35g) 140
    Grapes - Raw, 1 cup 62
    Total afternoon snacks 202

Dinner
    HomeMade - Taco Bean Soup, 2 cup 100
    Home made basic salad with spritzer dressing, 1 meal 83
    Total dinner 183

PM snacks
    Not sure yet...depends on calories remaining.

Total: 1,062
    Your Daily Goal: 1,200
    Remaining: 138

This is without my exercise which I'm planning on 1/2 hour run and 1 hour BodyPump class...so we will see. I might make some Pillsbury reduced fat crescents with dinner.:tongue: YUM!

Well...tomorrow is a new post with a new weight and new goals. I'm a little scared for weigh-in since I am started my TOM this week and already FEEL heavier. But I will weigh in anyways and see where I am!

Have a FABULOUS morning girls and I'll check back later!
  • tjones7
    tjones7 Posts: 306
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone is off to a great start. Thank you to Deb and Pedal(rhiannon Right?) for answering my question.

Kristen, I'm always so impressed with your meal plans
    Chipper good job on increasing your running.

For all of the other ladies that are in the challenge. GOOD JOB FOR STICKING WITH IT!!!! I want to remind you to encourage yourself. You are the only thing that stands in the way of your goals.:happy:

I never posted my measurements so here they are

Waist 46 3/4
    Hips 54
    Chest 51 1/2
    neck 16.5
    Left thigh 33
    Right Thigh 33 1/2
    Left arm 18 1/4
    Right Arm 18 1/2

I'm so ready to lost those numbers.

MEAL For Today

Meal 1 2 egg whites 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed juice
    Meal 2 1 cup of chopped apples
    snack 1 2 rice cakes
    meal 3 small salad (veggies only) w/ 3 teaspoons of italian dressing
    snack 2 3 dill pickles
    meal 4 1/2 beans 1/2 of brown rice
    snack 3 is 1 cup of baby carrots
    water goal is 8 cups

Recipe : ( not sure of calories) Feeds 2 or 3
    Mexican corn
    You will need
    1 green bell pepper chopped
    1 red or orange or yellow bell pepper chopped
    1 can of whole kernal corn
    1 can of creamstyle corn
    2 tbs of sugar
    Black pepper to taste

You will need a medium skillet
    grease your skillet with a little oil or cooking spray (i prefer oil)
    place your skillet on low heat
    after it has heated up, place all items in skillet except for sugar
    allow the items to slow cook and simmer (stirring occasionally)
    MAKE SURE THAT IT IS NOT STARTING TO FRY.
    after it has cooked for about 10 mins add sugar.
    you may add more if you want but make sure you distribute evenly.

Your corn should be soft but not mushy Enjoy!!!!
  • chipper15173
    Options
    hey tjones, i have a question looking over your meal plan for today. where is your protein? i don't see very much of it at all. that is what keeps you full and going for the day. just thought i would ask. want to keep the ladies healthy.:bigsmile:
    cathy
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Thanks Tjones! I try and get a lot of good food in every day! Wow...I need to print this weeks shared recipes! YUM!

Well...no time right now to chat! I'll BBL!
  • tjones7
    tjones7 Posts: 306
    Options
    Just decided to check in cause this Monday sucks and i needed a break form my job.

Chipper I guess it's in the eggs and beans but i'm following a specific meal plan for the whole week that was given to me by a professional so hopefully I will see great resultts. I know I have to eat fish, and a protein shake tomorrow (that's all i remember:happy: ) But thank you I appreciate it.

Does anyone have good seasoning advice for salmon or tilapia cause i'm tried of tasting the same flavors.

have a losing day!
  • nellienell12
    nellienell12 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon sixers.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day today. :flowerforyou:

I agree Kristin your meal plan looks good filling and easy.:happy: I might have to copy it one day. Except I get more calories than you so I'll have to add a few things here and there. But, good job.

Yes, Mom, tummy is still a little sore. I was going to get up early and do a video workout, but I'm to lazy. I did about 15 minutes of walking around the warehouse today, so that's better than nothing. I'll have to see if my girls want to walk around the pond later tonight.

Well, gotta get back to work.:grumble: Talk to ya ladies tonight.

Later, Shanell
  • chipper15173
    Options
    sounds good tjones, good luck on tomorrows weigh in. i know i went up a few pounds. it's ok.
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Tjones:

Okay...I LOVE tilapia because you can season it ANY way and it absorbs the flavor! You should try the Broiled Tilapia Parmesan recipe I included earlier this week. It's VERY yummy! I also like to use chili powder, onion powder, garlic, and salt and pepper. You could also use italian seasoning or lemon pepper and lemon juice. You could try chili powder and lime. There are SO many. Hopefully this helps a little.

Shanell:

By all means, copy my daily plan. Then add in some extra fruit and protein to get all your calories! I promise I never go to bed feeling empty!:wink:

Well...on a quick break right now munching on my grapes. I'm SO hoping to see a lower number tomorrow morning but VERY scared due to how heavy I'm feeling...stupid TOM!!!!!! Oh well. Excited to burn some cals at the gym tonight! Have a great afternoon girlies!
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Here's the recipes that were shared this week in case anyone missed them:

Broiled Tilapia Parmesan

1/4 c parmesan cheese
    2 tbsp butter, softened
    1 tbsp and 1.5 tsp mayonnaise (I use reduced fat)
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1/8 tsp dried basil
    1/8 tsp ground black pepper
    1/8 tsp onion powder
    1/8 tsp celery salt
    1 lb tilapia fillets
    1. Preheat broiler; grease broiler pan
    2. In a small bowl, mix all ingredients except the fish. Set aside
    3. Broil the fish a few inches from the heat for 2-3 min. Flip the fillets and broil for 2-3 min. Remove the fillets from the oven and spread the parmesan mixture on top of the fillets. Broil for a couple more minutes until the topping is lightly browned and the fish flakes easily.
    Makes 4 servings
    Per serving:
    177 cals
    1.8 g carbs
    10.2 g fat
    18.4 g protein

Cream of Potato Soup

5 Pounds Potatoes, peeled and cubed, large pieces
    5 (14.5 oz.) Cans Fat Free Chicken Broth
    1/4 Cup Fat Free Margarine Spread
    1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
    1/4 Cup Flour
    1/8 teaspoon Pepper
    2 Cups Skim Milk
    2 Cups Fat Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    Boil potatoes in broth. Do not drain. When the potatoes are tender, mash them with a potato masher. Melt the butter in a small pot. Add onions & sauté until a light caramel color. Mix flour & pepper. Add milk. Heat & stir until boils & thickens. Add to soup mix. Stir in the cheese and heat until the cheese is melted.
    Serves: 8 (2 Cups Each)
    Per Serving: 327 Calories; trace Fat (1.2% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 61g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 981mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain (Starch); 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat. WWP: 6 (www.AimeesAdventures.com)

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal (makes 2 servings, takes 15 minutes)

1 cup water
    1/2 cup pure canned pumpkin
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats (rolled oats)
    1 tbsp cinnamon
    1 tsp pumpkin pie seasoning
    2.5 tbsp agave nectar (can substitute maple syrop but sugar will be slightly higher)
    In a small pot, bring water to a boil. Add pumpkin, stir and reduce heat to low. Stir in oats & cinnamon, slowly increase heat to medium-low. Do not allow to bubble or spatter. Cook about 7 mins until oats are fluffy. Stir in pumpkin pie spice & sweetener. Serve!
    IDEA: If you would rather splurge with your calories at dinner and save on dessert, make this recipe, serve in a fancy pudding cup and top with 1 tbsp pure whipped cream (buy whipping cream from the dairy aisle, whip and mix in 1 tbsp stevia instead of sugar. makes a very healthy topping). Then you've got a yummy pumpkin pie dessert with only 150 calories!!
    Nutrition info per serving:
    cals 110, total fat 2g, sat & trans fat 0, cholest 0, sodium 5mg, carbs 23g, fibre 6g, sugars 6g, protein 4g iron 2mg. This is in the database under HomeMade Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal.

Yam black bean stew

2 tbsp olive oil heated... 1 med onion, 1 bell pepper chopped. cook 3-4 mins
    add 2 gloves garlic, 1 tsp chili powder 1 tsp cumin 1.5 tsp oregano chili flakes cook 1-2 mins
    add: 3c peeled, cubed yams, 1 can black beans, 1 can diced toms (14oz) 1 tbsp tomato paste 2 c veg stock 1 tbsp flour salt & pepper cook until thickened and yams are tender.
    This is in the database under Yam & Black Bean Stew and it is the whole recipe so when adding to your day, select a portion of the whole batch.

BAKED NECTARINES WITH GREEK YOGURT AND HONEY
    • Cook Time 10 min Level Easy Yield 4 servings
    Cook
    10 min
    Total:
    15 min
    Ingredients
    • 4 nectarines, pitted and cut into 8ths
    • 4 tablespoon honey, plus more for drizzling
    • 1 cup Greek yogurt
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    Core the nectarines and cut into 8ths. Take 4 (12-inch) pieces of foil and divide the nectarines in the middle of each foil sheet. Drizzle the nectarines with the honey and fold foil over creating a packet. Place packets on a baking sheet and in the oven for 10 minutes. Once nectarines are soft remove the nectarines from the packet. Serve on a 4 plates and top with 1/4 cup Greek yogurt. Drizzle with honey and serve.

Sweet Quinoa Porridge
    3/4 cup quinoa
    1 tbsp millet
    1.55 cups water
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon
    (bring to a low boil & cook until germ begins to uncoil from quinoa. Add 2 tbsp flax meal & 3/4 cup skim milk & 1/2 tsp agave nectar & 1/4 cup dried cranberries. Cook until quinoa is soft and germ is uncoiled. Mixture should thicken. Spoon into bowls & sprinkle with chopped walnuts & 1/4 cup skim milk.)
    serving size = 1 generous 1/2 cup of quinoa porridge, 4 walnuts chopped & 1/4 cup skim milk. See "sweet quinoa porridge" in database for 1 serving
    Calories 351 Carbs 57 Fat 9 Protein 12 Sodium 56 Fiber 7

Egg White bites
    lightly spray muffin tin with cooking spray, separate egg into tin discarding yolk (or use 2 tbsp egg whites). Chop & seed a plum tomato & sprinkle small pieces into egg yolk (1 plum tomato per 4 egg whites) and sprinkle w/ dried basil. Bake at 350* for 6 to 8 minutes until cooked through. You can also top with small sprinkle of skim milk cheese or salsa but this isn't included in recipe nutrition stats.
    per 2 egg white bites:
    cals 36 carbs 2 fat 0 protein 8 sodium 110 fibre 0

Mexican Corn
    You will need
    1 green bell pepper chopped
    1 red or orange or yellow bell pepper chopped
    1 can of whole kernal corn
    1 can of creamstyle corn
    2 tbs of sugar
    Black pepper to taste
    You will need a medium skillet
    grease your skillet with a little oil or cooking spray (i prefer oil)
    place your skillet on low heat
    after it has heated up, place all items in skillet except for sugar
    allow the items to slow cook and simmer (stirring occasionally)
    MAKE SURE THAT IT IS NOT STARTING TO FRY.
    after it has cooked for about 10 mins add sugar.
    you may add more if you want but make sure you distribute evenly.
    Your corn should be soft but not mushy Enjoy!!!!

I'm excited to try some of these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUM!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    You are so wonderful to compile all those!!! :flowerforyou: THANK YOU
  • kistinbee
    Options
    You are so wonderful to compile all those!!! :flowerforyou: THANK YOU

Not a problem, my dear! I find it easier when they are all right there so I can print!:wink:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Kristin, thanks indeed for compiling!! I LOVE the recipe-sharing idea. GREAT plan. Keeping things fresh and interesting is a big part of success with this!! We tried the egg white bites today (didn't get to have them yesterday) and they were delicious!! I realized that you could really put anything in them, basically using them as a base rather than a grain product. Like you could put tomatoes, pine nuts and pesto, mushrooms & cheese... and they're so fast and easy!

Tjones, you get protein from your brown rice as well - more than you'd think actually - and good for you sticking to this and giving it a try for a week. It can be hard following a menu someone else has made.

Shanell, next time you feel like you're too lazy to get up and do your video just remind yourself how good you feel when you DO it and maybe you'll find the motivation to do it :wink:

Cathy, it's great that you're looking out for us - I love this group!

Okay well I spent my morning sewing a mermaid doll for a friend's daughter for Christmas and I'm ready to get out of this house! Off to get the ingredients for supper :)
  • rlh0614
    rlh0614 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Okay... so I joined this group and then the holiday from h*ll came around.. I have NOT eaten well in the last few days... stayed in my calories (by workin my tail off at the gym)... but the food was not healthy! My family had a new edition on Thanksgiving day.. so there has been alot of running around and eating together.. that is always bad! I think I am back on track, but tomorrow's weigh and measurments are the true test! Wish me luck!