All Calories Are Not Created Equally

123457»

Replies

• Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    can you expand on how a food natures your body???

Stupid ipad and auto correct.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    So assuming it's nurtures.

Can you equally explain how food nurture your body?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014

It hugs your tummy, from the inside.

And everybody knows hugs are nurturing...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Your food doesn't love and care for you? Clearly you should eat better.

My food brushes my hair and makes my bed.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So… after reading the first page, let me know if I am correct in assuming this is how the discussion is going:

1) A calorie is not a calorie because some are more satiating.
    2) You are wrong. A calorie is a calorie. You can eat junk food only and still lose weight.
    3) Yes but in terms of nutrition, energy and satiety, what you eat matters.
    4) But we are not talking bout nutrition, we are talking about weight loss only.

I'd rephrase as:

1) A calorie is not a calorie because some are more satiating.
    2) No, some foods are more satiating (although that varies by individual somewhat), as everyone agrees, but that has nothing to do what a calorie is a calorie means.

WHY does everyone who wants to argue "a calorie is not a calorie" (not you, so far as I can see) insist upon misrepresenting what that even means. NO ONE claims that foods are all identical or equal in their effects on the individual. So why do people argue against an argument that no one makes? It's so confusing.

It's like potatoes are dancing or something!

Possibly, people who just started CICO, or who are not familiar with the concept, are worried that people may perceive the tool as being as being an excuse to "eat whatever you want". Just, you know, not in a good way, but in the "eat only fries every day." So they use the shortcut "not all calories are created equal" to try and explain nutrition.

Problem is, CICO is not a diet, it's a tool. And that is where the main difference and misunderstanding lies, methinks.

That, and there is possibly a misconception of what a calorie is.

This.

A calorie is a calorie. Just because it's a lot easier for me to stay within my calories when I eat less carbs and just because my body doesn't process sugar properly doesn't mean that fudge calories are greater than cashew calories. In terms of what they do to my body they're different..but calorie wise..they're the same.

Two very helpful posts. Thanks!

Was watching a doctor from a Cancer Clinic talk last week and he talking about types of calories and cancer risks factors. He stated Fats did not increase the risk of cancer in human and that Carbs increased the risk of cancer the most and Protein was in the middle of risk factor increase for cancer. That makes sense about Protein since half of it becomes glucose after we eat it.

So in light of this medical fact calories are not all equal in causing our risks of death from cancer it would appear based on what he said.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Again, that has nothing to do with what "calories are equal" means. Foods are different, calories are identical (and fungible).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,808 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Again, that has nothing to do with what "calories are equal" means. Foods are different, calories are identical (and fungible).
    Your wasting your time, he just doesn't understand science well, even though he mentions science quite a bit.....kinda peculiar really.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    So I was wondering, what would you call something that can raise a gram of water by 1 degree centigrade?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    So I was wondering, what would you call something that can raise a gram of water by 1 degree centigrade?

Heat! >:)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Well with food it's technically a kilocalorie, so it would be raising 1 kilogram of water by 1 degree centigrade (at 1 atmosphere.)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Technically correct, and on the internet, that's the best kind of correct there is.

It also aided me in highlighting that sometimes a calorie is not just a calorie. ;) For no reason other than to get some S&Gs. I don't have it in me to read how certain macros have more caloric calories...
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

It hugs your tummy, from the inside.

And everybody knows hugs are nurturing...
    You win the internet !! LMAO!