I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    bmm7414 wrote: »
    Great Job. I feel so Encouraged right now. How does a 16 year old girl 5ft. 4inch Shrink her internal stomach from two years of binging.
    At 16 your body is still growing and developing. I don't think strict dieting or calorie counting is healthy for someone so young. I would focus on being active, eating a good variety of fruits, vegetables, and lean meats, while eating things like pizza, ice cream, soda, etc in moderation. Starting a weight lifting routine is a good idea for just about anyone at any age as well.

• littleme21
    Options
    Your amazing x iv lost 126 pounds so far x need to tone up now! Xx
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Have you considered doing another bulk ?
  • supermom627
    supermom627 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Toutoula2 wrote: »
    It's awesome. Congrats. You look great. i have one question- have you never had stretch marks? or sagging skin after losing weight? I lost a total of 40 lbs so far and I have some sagging skin on my belly and i hate it. :'(
    I have some stretch marks that are basically invisible when I have any kind of a tan. Their are more noticeable now that I'm Ohio winter pale. As far as loose skin, you can really only notice it when I am at my leanest and bending over. These things get better with time and varies a lot from person to person. I've seen people lose much more weight then me and have almost no loose skin, and I've seen people lose half as much and have a severe case of loose skin. The good news is that loose skin, despite not being something anyone wants, isn't really unhealthy, but being obese certainly is!
    I love this :) amazing job btw you truely are an inspiration!

• vismal
    Options
    Have you considered doing another bulk ?
    I spend most of my year bulking. I am currently on one now.

• Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Absolutely amazing you look great :) well done! I'm wanting to start lifting so in it for the feedback!! Going to look up the 'ice cream fitness 5x5 and the strong lift 5x5 thanks :)
  • KellyS0828
    KellyS0828 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What great results! Love to see before and after photos. It's a great inspirations! Congratulations!
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sorry if already asked, but how did you tighten up all the loose skin? I'm sure it helps to be young, but did you do anything in particular on the skin front?
  • vismal
    Options
    Sorry if already asked, but how did you tighten up all the loose skin? I'm sure it helps to be young, but did you do anything in particular on the skin front?
    There is nothing you can do to tighten up skin other then lose as much fat as possible (this is because many times people mistake excess body fat for loose skin) or give it time. No exercise, cream, skin treatment, or anything short of surgery will do it.

• Rangerfied
    Rangerfied Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Very great transformation. My highest weight was 318lbs and I'm now stuck around the 280lb mark. I struggle with emotional eating and I'm trying to figure out how to retrain my brain to stop that. Every day I go over my calorie count and I find I mainly blow it at night when I'm bored. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. I have no real addictions. I just like eating and have always been brought up that way. When I was a child it was nothing to eat and at that time people weren't obsessed with calorie counting or exercising like today. Now we realize what is needed for success and it's the whole training yourself to a new lifestyle. It's not easy for some people.

Excellent job you've done and you should be very happy with yourself. Thanks for sharing your experience and helping out.
  • ShaunaNeuman2008
    Options
    No questions, just wanted to say awesome job!!
  • cmasongreen
    cmasongreen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Epic story my man. You did a great job!

I have a quick question if you are still answering them! I am 6' 6''currently 213 lbs and would like to build some muscle while losing some fat. I just got a gym membership at a new gym in my city in Michigan. I have just been running on the treadmill because I am not really sure what else to do, however yesterday I started using workout machines. I would like to start doing free weights, but don't really know where to start? I used to lift a few years back, but I have NO idea where I am at now with my lifting.

So I guess my question is. How do I know where to start at regarding lifting weight? I could use some guidance haha.
  • vismal
    Options

I have a quick question if you are still answering them! I am 6' 6''currently 213 lbs and would like to build some muscle while losing some fat. I just got a gym membership at a new gym in my city in Michigan. I have just been running on the treadmill because I am not really sure what else to do, however yesterday I started using workout machines. I would like to start doing free weights, but don't really know where to start? I used to lift a few years back, but I have NO idea where I am at now with my lifting.

So I guess my question is. How do I know where to start at regarding lifting weight? I could use some guidance haha.
    You won't really lose fat while gaining any appreciable muscle mass. The body just really doesn't work that way. You need to focus on either fat loss, or muscle gain. To lose fat you should eat less calories per day then you burn, and you should lift weights to help maintain muscle mass. This way, the majority of the weight you lose will be fat, not muscle. If you want to gain muscle you need to eat slightly more calories per day then you burn. You will still need to lift weights. This way, some of the weight you gain will be muscle, and some will be fat. What most people do, myself included, is to pick one goal, fat loss or muscle gain. Work towards that goal for a period of 3-6 months, then switch goals. The idea is each time you do a cycle your net result will be slightly leaner with slightly more muscle mass. After the course of several years, you will be much leaner with much more muscle mass.

As for a way to get started in the gym, my favorite beginners program is the Ice cream fitness 5x5. You can google it! It's a great beginners program.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options

You won't really lose fat while gaining any appreciable muscle mass. The body just really doesn't work that way. You need to focus on either fat loss, or muscle gain. To lose fat you should eat less calories per day then you burn, and you should lift weights to help maintain muscle mass. This way, the majority of the weight you lose will be fat, not muscle. If you want to gain muscle you need to eat slightly more calories per day then you burn. You will still need to lift weights. This way, some of the weight you gain will be muscle, and some will be fat. What most people do, myself included, is to pick one goal, fat loss or muscle gain. Work towards that goal for a period of 3-6 months, then switch goals. The idea is each time you do a cycle your net result will be slightly leaner with slightly more muscle mass. After the course of several years, you will be much leaner with much more muscle mass.

As for a way to get started in the gym, my favorite beginners program is the Ice cream fitness 5x5. You can google it! It's a great beginners program.

Some guy basically called me an idiot on here today for deciding to work primarily on weight loss first for a year, then to focus on the bulking. I didn't even respond to him. Like so many other people on here I was able to get tons of awesome advice from you and a couple of others guys. It's guys like you that I have to thank for helping me come so far. You my friend are an inspiration to many.....you are a good guy.

I have taken a similar approach and have actually helped some other people as well but directing them to this site and offering the best advice that I have to offer.....just paying it forward.
  • cmasongreen
    Options

Thank you kind sir.

You are a gentleman and a scholar :#
  • cmasongreen
    Options
    Also I am 6' 2" not 6' 6". I wouldn't need to lose weight if I was that tall I don't think...
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    Again, I am speechless. Well done and thanks for sharing. Nothing is impossible if one is determined to achieve it! :)
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Looking awesome, congratulations :D
  • vismal
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Did you find you had to cut your calories below what IIFYM or other calorie calculators recommended for losing weight?

I began counting calories again at the end of May and lost steadily until 226lbs. Then my losses simply randomly stopped even though I was eating 2300 calories like the calculators recommended. I cut them to 2200 and still didn't lose. A break from dieting was recommended to me which sounded better than the prospect of trying to eat 1800 calories a day like it seems like I may need to to actually lose more weight. Basically, I just feel like people always say you don't have to starve yourself or have an extreme deficit but I'm betting the people getting really lean are going way lower than the TDEE-20% they're recommending.
    I maintain fairly easily on 31-3300 calories depending on the season (more active in spring/summer, less in winter). I rarely cut below 2500 which is right about at 20%. I think 9 times out of 10 people who can't lose fat at a 20% "deficit" are simply not counting calories correctly, or they have overestimated their TDEE. I don't use or recommend the calculators. People sometimes treat them as gospel but they are nothing more then guesses at starting points. I know my maintenance from actual trial and error. If I use the iifym calculator it has me maintaining at 2800 calories which is considerably less then what I actually maintain on. Best to only use the calculator for a starting point and to alter your calories based on actual results.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!