Ladies-ravenous on your period?

Options

Replies

• RosaileenB
    RosaileenB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dairy (yogurt), sunflower seeds, and water. So far - 2 months and it has been amazing.

"One thing you want to watch out for in this phase, however, is your craving for high carbohydrate foods. Your serotonin production will be lower, and that can promote a poor mood and irritability. Your instinct will be to eat more carbs as they cause a rapid release of serotonin, instantly providing a mood boost and natural high."

To help offset the decline in serotonin and calm those cravings for carbs, consider supplementing with tryptophan or eating foods rich in this amino acid such as turkey, skim milk, soybeans, or pumpkin seeds as they can help produce a natural spike in this neurotransmitter precursor.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I just do not let my period control me. Having a period does not eliminate my determination and my mental function. Maybe I am a special snowflake?
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I get craving leading up to my period but since I track when it starts and for how long I have a pretty good idea of when its going to be. I just budget my calories for those days to allow a sweet treat if needed.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I just do not let my period control me. Having a period does not eliminate my determination and my mental function. Maybe I am a special snowflake?

So special. But really, some months are harder for me than others.

Also, there are people that get some pretty ridiculous period issues. I have a friend who has cramps that are so bad she doubles over in pain and she's no p***.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'll have to go through my diary and check. I am hungry the day after a workout. And I need extra fluids through my period. Otherwise I get a fierce headache.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Definitely not alone there. I ate a jar of caramel almond butter on caramel rice cakes (which I don't typically like the taste of) over the course of three days before my period >_> No ragrets.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Those of you who only have the intense cravings for 2-3 days are so lucky! Mine usually subside by the time I get my period, but they are there for the entire week beforehand. Getting extra emotional during this time also does not help willpower.....
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that lots of these women have the willpower to just say no, but If I had that I wouldn't need this site now would I? lol

I have to sort of bypass the willpower aspect of weight loss. I hate going to the gym, so I go with a girlfriend that I only see there so it's fun and not work. Same thing with crazy ravenous period Kim. I eat a GIANT breakfast (like half of my days calories) and drink lots and lots of water on those days so I won't feel like eating. If I do that I normally net a bit under my daily limit.

Hope this helps :)
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Interesting to hear how others experience this. I feel hunger (not like nursing a baby ohmygod I have to eat everything right now!), but it's a mindless hunger, more of a whimper than a scream. Sometimes I'll catch myself making way too many trips to the kitchen, I'll look over at the calendar, and sure enough, I'm two days away from my period. By period day, I'm just nauseated and bloated, so the eat-a-thon only lasts about two days.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Sebismom wrote: »
    Interesting to hear how others experience this. I feel hunger (not like nursing a baby ohmygod I have to eat everything right now!), but it's a mindless hunger, more of a whimper than a scream. Sometimes I'll catch myself making way too many trips to the kitchen, I'll look over at the calendar, and sure enough, I'm two days away from my period. By period day, I'm just nauseated and bloated, so the eat-a-thon only lasts about two days.

I don't think anything but actual starvation compares to the hunger one feels when nursing a baby. Haha

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that lots of these women have the willpower to just say no, but If I had that I wouldn't need this site now would I? lol

I have to sort of bypass the willpower aspect of weight loss. I hate going to the gym, so I go with a girlfriend that I only see there so it's fun and not work. Same thing with crazy ravenous period Kim. I eat a GIANT breakfast (like half of my days calories) and drink lots and lots of water on those days so I won't feel like eating. If I do that I normally net a bit under my daily limit.

Hope this helps :)

Willpower comes with time. The more practice, the easier it gets.

• LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm the same.... I allow myself to eat a more but I track all the extra calories and burn them off over the course of the next week with extra time at the gym and walking more.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I hate that time, my stomach feels like a bottomless pit. Most times I give in and work out harder on those days. I drink a lot of water with the sugar free flavored singles to go. I brush my teeth a lot I will probably have no enamel on them by the time I hit menopause. Good luck!!!!
  • Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Mine seem to be hit or miss even on birth control. Some months I can't seem to eat enough the day or two before I start. Other months I actually have trouble meeting my calorie goals because I don't want to eat anything. Oh how I love being a woman, lol.

Exercise does seem to help if I can actually get myself motivated enough to do it.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Does anyone else have issues during ovulation, as well?
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Opposite, either normal hunger levels, or I lose my appetite. It's bizarre.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    cloudbustr wrote: »
    Opposite, either normal hunger levels, or I lose my appetite. It's bizarre.

Well that's lucky. I feel the same during ovulation as I do during my period. I even get cramping and breast tenderness. I guess I'm weird.
  • FlatWet
    FlatWet Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I never realized how intense the cravings could be / how directly they correlated with my hormone levels until this past week when I was put on short term progesterone. Oh my god I literally thought I might DIE if I didn't eat my bodyweight in sugar.

At a certain point, short of being locked in a padded cell, just saying no isn't an option. Urgh.

Usually, it is milder, but definitely cravings and they are definitely insatiable.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I get these too and I usually just go for it guilt free. Weight loss is not a torture sentence. It's alright to overeat from time to time. It's alright to not be perfect. A couple of days (or more) every month of overeating when I feel like I really need it is fine and will not wipe out all the other days of the month at a deficit.

I say if you feel dieting on these days is too stressful, give it a rest. Just make sure to log everything no matter how much you eat, to keep a record, and to possibly make up for it later.

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for giving into it.