Ladies-ravenous on your period?

Options

Replies

• hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3,000 calories in chocolate & cereal (over maintenance) later...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I do notice more intense cravings... but the only tip I have is to make note of how you are feeling and notice that it's because of your cycle. After that, it's a matter of just saying "No". It takes will power, just like any day. You just have to try a little harder and think about it. Also... more sleep! And your body might be craving iron filled foods too so try to eat red meat and dark green veggies.

Just like all those posts asking if people exercise during their period - stop letting something so insignificant (and frequent) run your life. Get used to it, you've likely had it for many years and will be dealing with it for many more to come. Just think of it like having a runny nose for a week.

Omg, seriously, I'm guessing you have no idea what the OP is talking about. How in the world do you just use 'willpower' not to eat more when you're starving so much that you feel you're going to pass out if you don't eat? For me it's not even craving - I could eat pretty much anything because I'm so hungry, although of course I'm so hungry that I don't always make the best choices either.

But please, stop judging and make such blanket statements as 'using it as an excuse' when you clearly don't know what it's like.

I'm just thankful that it seemed to only be two days this month. Last month it was 5.
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I drink a LOT of water...and I break up my meals. Instead of breakfast, lunch, and dinner...I'll eat something light in the morning, a mid-morning snack, a light lunch, a light afternoon snack, and a light dinner. I usually stay under my calorie goal as well. The only time I struggle is if dinner is too early...and then I'm tempted to have a light snack before bed.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I do notice more intense cravings... but the only tip I have is to make note of how you are feeling and notice that it's because of your cycle. After that, it's a matter of just saying "No". It takes will power, just like any day. You just have to try a little harder and think about it. Also... more sleep! And your body might be craving iron filled foods too so try to eat red meat and dark green veggies.

Just like all those posts asking if people exercise during their period - stop letting something so insignificant (and frequent) run your life. Get used to it, you've likely had it for many years and will be dealing with it for many more to come. Just think of it like having a runny nose for a week.

Omg, seriously, I'm guessing you have no idea what the OP is talking about. How in the world do you just use 'willpower' not to eat more when you're starving so much that you feel you're going to pass out if you don't eat? For me it's not even craving - I could eat pretty much anything because I'm so hungry, although of course I'm so hungry that I don't always make the best choices either.

But please, stop judging and make such blanket statements as 'using it as an excuse' when you clearly don't know what it's like.

I'm just thankful that it seemed to only be two days this month. Last month it was 5.

This. It's not such an 'insignificant' factor to some. Everyone experiences it's effects differently.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's happening to me right now! Usually I try to keep busy and accept that it's just a few days. A few days of bad eating cannot permanently ruin the progress
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

There's really no reason to get so upset. It's not a personal attack on you...

I don't think anyone is advocating feeling starved or not satisfying certain cravings but, yes, with willpower you can choose to not go overboard. It is possible and by convincing yourself it's not possible, you are setting yourself up for excusing binge periods.

I get really hungry days when I'm not lifting (2-3 days a week), the week before my period and cravings when I have my period. Just as bad as anyone else...

But I make a choice to not give in all the time because if I do I won't maintain. That being said, a few extra calories won't hurt. It's bingeing on 1000+ calories that will.
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options

This. It's not such an 'insignificant' factor to some. Everyone experiences it's effects differently.

Yes! Everyones hormones are different
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yep. It's that time of month right now. Ate probably 1000 extra calories yesterday. Oh well. Magnesium supplements have helped some. But some months, there is just no helping it. I don't gain from it, so I just try to make decent choices about what I eat when giving in. And I never skip a workout during this time.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I get intensely hungry the week before, but I also lose my appetite the week after so it balances itself out. I typically see any loss for the cycle during the 7-10 days after TOM leaves. Like someone else said, this happens every month and will until menopause. Figure out what works for you and go with it. I don't really restrict until I hit around 3000 cals intake- even then its more about moderation than restricting. If I'm craving it, ignoring it makes it worse and can bring on a full on binge so I eat.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I wasn't judging, I was giving my tips (track your cravings, think about the reasons, recognize when its hard for you and be prepared to try harder ahead of time, plan, eat iron rich foods, sleep more, convince yourself it will pass, tell yourself "It's just a period - hardly different than a runny nose" - i.e. play mind games with yourself) - didn't I say you have to try harder? Like an English exam for me - I'm strong in math and weak in writing - so I study and try harder for that English exam (AKA period) than I do for that math exam (AKA no period - because some level of effort is always required when tracking calories).

Honestly if your cravings are SO BAD you're going to pass out - that's something to talk to a doctor about! I have a friend who's cramps were so bad she went into false labour - again a serious medical issue for which standard advice wouldn't apply. I would HOPE the OP would realize if her cravings were SO BAD that she could injure herself by passing out (who knows what you could hit or break on the way down!) that she would go to a doctor, not a fitness forum.

I actually feel that you are the one being judgmental of me, not me of the OP. You interpreted what I said completely wrong :neutral_face:

YES I get cravings too. But I track them so that I know WHY. But hey, I guess I also had to learn to deal with it since I had my period for a year straight and even now that it's done that it lasts for 10 days every month. I learned to control myself (or else I'd be 500 lbs by now) and I was trying to tell the OP what I did that helped.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What I'm saying is that it's not always just 'cravings'. It's way past cravings, at least for me. For me, a craving is really wanting to eat something specific, and yes it's a totally mental thing... but for me at that time of the month it's way more physical than mental and it's pretty much impossible to ignore it. I did it for a day and ended up starving even more the next day... I guess the more I resist, the worse it gets.

So yes I'm taking it personally when people insinuate that some people use hormones as an excuse to overeat... I always take responsibility for my overeating and my bad choices, but when that time of the month hits, there's no willpower that's going to help, unless I want to just be physically sick from lack of food. So I want to smack people silly if they start insinuating that I just don't have any willpower... considering I've lost 81 pounds and have no problem eating 1700 calories most of the time otherwise (and if I slip on those days I have no problem admitting that it's my own fault).

For what it's worth, I'm also that person who pretty much ended up passing out every time she had to have progesterone pills or shots while doing IVF. So I guess I'm pretty sensitive to hormonal changes.

Now, I appreciate the magnesium and iron advice and will definitely keep those in mind for next month (assuming it doesn't happen again this month) and will try to remember to take those multivitamins too....
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Nope. No more hunger than any other time for me. Aside from having to hide tampons in my clothes on the way to the bathroom at work every few hours and not having sex with my husband, I hardly even notice my period.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    What I'm saying is that it's not always just 'cravings'. It's way past cravings, at least for me. For me, a craving is really wanting to eat something specific, and yes it's a totally mental thing... but for me at that time of the month it's way more physical than mental and it's pretty much impossible to ignore it. I did it for a day and ended up starving even more the next day... I guess the more I resist, the worse it gets.

So yes I'm taking it personally when people insinuate that some people use hormones as an excuse to overeat... I always take responsibility for my overeating and my bad choices, but when that time of the month hits, there's no willpower that's going to help, unless I want to just be physically sick from lack of food. So I want to smack people silly if they start insinuating that I just don't have any willpower... considering I've lost 81 pounds and have no problem eating 1700 calories most of the time otherwise (and if I slip on those days I have no problem admitting that it's my own fault).

For what it's worth, I'm also that person who pretty much ended up passing out every time she had to have progesterone pills or shots while doing IVF. So I guess I'm pretty sensitive to hormonal changes.

Now, I appreciate the magnesium and iron advice and will definitely keep those in mind for next month (assuming it doesn't happen again this month) and will try to remember to take those multivitamins too....

Have you seen a doctor about this?
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Those of you who only have the intense cravings for 2-3 days are so lucky! Mine usually subside by the time I get my period, but they are there for the entire week beforehand. Getting extra emotional during this time also does not help willpower.....

This is me as well. Mine usually lasts the full week prior to starting, but it balances out because I usually lose my appetite when it starts. Those saying use willpower obviously don't get the intense cravings some of us do. Mine get so intense that it's simply hard to describe to the average person that doesn't deal with it. I do the best I can and usually do good with staying in my calories for most of those days, but then I am cranky as all get out and CONSTANTLY stomach growling hungry. I can eat a large meal and within a half hour be starving. It's just horrible.

Another thing that happens to me is that certain foods taste different. Some foods that I regularly eat I just can't eat the week before my period. Chicken is one. For whatever reason it tastes off putting during that time.

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Same here. You're not alone. Mine is physical hunger as well, not just cravings. My stomach will growl and rumble within a half hour of eating. The week before I start I am just constantly hungry...and it is hunger. I'm fine every other time of the month, but my PMS hunger is just horrible. Makes me feel sick at times too if I don't eat more than usual and sometimes lightheaded. I get frustrated by the "willpower" comment, too. This just goes far beyond what a little willpower can handle...and I've successfully lost 55 pounds, so I have will power.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I find that eating more fruits and vegetables and upping my overall calories works better for me. If I give into too many processed carb cravings though I become an unstoppable wild eating beast. I like the idea of trying RosaileenB's foods: turkey, skim milk, soybeans, or pumpkin seeds. Of course I HAVE to allow myself some chocolate.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

This.

Periods should not be an excuse to avoid exercise or gorge ourselves. They happen every month for many years - it's not like it's a surprise.

LOL that this post got flagged.
  • PRMinx
    Options

This.

Periods should not be an excuse to avoid exercise or gorge ourselves. They happen every month for many years - it's not like it's a surprise.

Of course it did! It doesn't include any coddling. Flags are the new dislike! ;)
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    cloudbustr wrote: »
    Opposite, either normal hunger levels, or I lose my appetite. It's bizarre.

Well that's lucky. I feel the same during ovulation as I do during my period. I even get cramping and breast tenderness. I guess I'm weird.

Nope. Me too. Or, we're both weird.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options

This.

Of course it did! It doesn't include any coddling. Flags are the new dislike! ;)

I thought they were the new "like"?